ADVERTISEMENT

IU Marching Hundred Director Steps down

"Due to ongoing health concerns, the dean of the school of music has asked me to step down as director of the Marching Hundred. This is effective immediately. I will be teaching other classes in the school of music starting in the fall."
Something just doesn't sound right. People don't get asked to resign effective immediately because of health problems, they do it on their own. Perhaps Dolson is starting to make some changes.

When I was in Bloomington in the early 1980s band was always shown up by the visiting team band. I have been gone for many many years and the only thing I know about the band is what I’ve seen on YouTube. It has consistently been less than impressive. I would think that any change would be a positive change at this point. Especially since they now have a practice facility. Get some new freaking songs!

Please hire someone young! The former OSU band director might be a creepball, but not everyone can be saints. Hire him ASAP! (This is half-serious...I don't want to actually Google what he did wrong...if it wasn't that bad then it's full-serious, LOL.)

Please hire someone young! The former OSU band director might be a creepball, but not everyone can be saints. Hire him ASAP! (This is half-serious...I don't want to actually Google what he did wrong...if it wasn't that bad then it's full-serious, LOL.)
How young?

My dad played in the Marching Hundred in the 60's. It was an honor to be in the band then. Indiana produces amazing musical talent and the IU school of music is usually rated #2 in the nation behind Julliard. We can do much better than what we've been seeing over the last decade.

I don't have a lot of hope but I do hope the new director is innovative and produces a group that is more entertaining for fans to watch. OSU band, there are a # of others, shows what a football half can be like with a marching band.

I'm feeling positive that the SOM and the AD both understand the need for a "OSU type" hire. Throw a little cash here. Maybe that would get a few more butts in seats before and during half time. Winning games is the answer but a good pregame and half time show helps.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I don't know any more than what they have told the Alumni which is pretty much the same thing. It reminds me of when they got rid of Wilbur England in the mid-80's, he was removed and send over to the the music school where he was a private percussion teacher and in charge of the instrument rental department. There had been a lot of people complaining about him and a survey was given to the band at the end of the season. It was negative enough that he was removed. Not sure if that is the case here - he's been the director in name only for a while.

Everything about this is pathetic. Those feathers in their hats look like they came from a burlesque show.

Now watch the Ohio State band just getting ready to do the ramp entrance. Of course marching into a packed stadium of 100,000 people has a bit to do with it. But you just watch these guys march in and it’s game over!

Last edited:
I always thought "Marching 100" was Latin for: "Go stretch your legs". During the Hoepner/Lynch time frame they played a HBCU (I think) and their band/drum line put on a show worth watching. After that I always wondered why the 100 continued doing the same old routine with the announcer that sounds like someone intentionally doing a bad announcer in a movie. I'm sure someone will claim they have to play/wear/march something because it's tradition, my thought is keep the colors burn everything else. The football team had a tradition of losing, should that be kept as well?

My dad played in the Marching Hundred in the 60's. It was an honor to be in the band then. Indiana produces amazing musical talent and the IU school of music is usually rated #2 in the nation behind Julliard. We can do much better than what we've been seeing over the last decade.
I think that right now it is considered below a real music student to march in the band. No way that would be something the school of music would want to associate with.

How about that guy from Avon who wins the HS state championship every year (or used to when my kids marched in the HS band)? Is he still around? Could IU entice him to step up?

I think that right now it is considered below a real music student to march in the band. No way that would be something the school of music would want to associate with.

How about that guy from Avon who wins the HS state championship every year (or used to when my kids marched in the HS band)? Is he still around? Could IU entice him to step up?

When I was in IU, I always thought the reason about the marching band was due to the snob attitude of the music dept. They always seemed to favor the opera, or small groups playing classic music and saw marching band as something for the people not didn't understand classic music. This was just my opinion from knowing some in the music dept.

Perhaps this director is available?
I think it would be great bringing in one of the band directors from the best black colleges. They know showmanship and would bring more diversity to the marching band and fans wanting to watch the band. The drawback would be our players wanting to watch the band at half time;)

I don't know any more than what they have told the Alumni which is pretty much the same thing. It reminds me of when they got rid of Wilbur England in the mid-80's, he was removed and send over to the the music school where he was a private percussion teacher and in charge of the instrument rental department. There had been a lot of people complaining about him and a survey was given to the band at the end of the season. It was negative enough that he was removed. Not sure if that is the case here - he's been the director in name only for a while.

Im not really following this message. Who was director in name only for awhile? Wilbur or the dude who just quit?

Also, the marching hundred is fk'ing terrible.

Gotta believe they could reach into the ranks of drum & bugle corps and get a top notch director. Those shows are badass.
I agree hands down. But when we had game day against Ohio st 4 ? Years ago and I saw they had brought their band I thought this will b ugly. But our band that nite played m Jackson songs and were free to dance etc and I thought our half time was actually the best. Saw that same freedom at gator bowl and thought again better than tenn band. So please switch things up and get a director from a southern college. After u get that fixed get cheerleaders in sleeveless in 70 degrees and up instead of long sleeve turtle neck. And ditch the bows so it isn’t just long hair can try out

I agree hands down. But when we had game day against Ohio st 4 ? Years ago and I saw they had brought their band I thought this will b ugly. But our band that nite played m Jackson songs and were free to dance etc and I thought our half time was actually the best. Saw that same freedom at gator bowl and thought again better than tenn band. So please switch things up and get a director from a southern college. After u get that fixed get cheerleaders in sleeveless in 70 degrees and up instead of long sleeve turtle neck. And ditch the bows so it isn’t just long hair can try out

I agree with your comments about The Marching Hundred at The Gator Bowl. There was a lot of hype (mainly from Tenn and other SEC football fans) about Rocky Top and the Tennessee band at bowl games. I thought IU's hundred looked and sounded much better on the field and in the stands throughout the game. Then again, the IU Football team gave IU fans a lot to be happy about in that game . . . too bad that went south in the closing minutes of the game.

Maybe we can Finally dump the theme song for "The Godfather" as the intro for the Defense.

It was pathetic when Dinardo was here but at least there was a bare thread of a tie in. There's simply no excuse for it now...

It's a lullaby..., that sounds like a funeral dirge... and, in my opinion, you couldn't find anything that inspires less energy if you went far out of your way to find it...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT