ADVERTISEMENT

IU leading for Romeo?

MKordIUBB

Sophomore
Jul 19, 2017
Louisville, though this may be old news, has already signed another 5* shooting guard. #8 player on ESPN. His name is Afernee Simons

You sound very confident about that. Is there a good reason for that confidence?
Just from what I've read about his recruitment. Ultimately it will come down to Louisville and Indiana. And I'm not trying to be rude. I respect Indiana's program and seeing him go there wouldn't disappoint me. Homegrown kid that would be the face of your program

Last edited:
Agree w K-31. Everything I've read was L-Ville lean. IU recent interest due to coaching change. Kid lives across the river on Indiana side but L-Ville is like home. We'll see but It'll be hard to pull from the Ville.
Respectfully,

Reactions: Kentucky31
IU's staff was in to see Romeo on Monday, no other coaching staffs were present. Louisville waited several days to see him. IU will get a good chance to sell themselves to Romeo when he visits in a little over a month.

If there ever was a must get it is Mr. Langford. Otherwise, we are looking at 2019 when we have a chance to contend.

Agree w K-31. Everything I've read was L-Ville lean. IU recent interest due to coaching change. Kid lives across the river on Indiana side but L-Ville is like home. We'll see but It'll be hard to pull from the Ville.
Respectfully,

The fact that we're even wondering says a lot about Archie's ability as a recruiter. Pitino is a HOF coach with multiple FFs, 2 national titles, multiple conference titles, and a ton of players who played professionally and he's been recruiting Romeo for years. Here comes Archie, hired only a few months ago and has yet to coach two seconds of an IU game and there's serious discussion (not just here) that Romeo could land at IU.

The fact that we're even wondering says a lot about Archie's ability as a recruiter. Pitino is a HOF coach with multiple FFs, 2 national titles, multiple conference titles, and a ton of players who played professionally and he's been recruiting Romeo for years. Here comes Archie, hired only a few months ago and has yet to coach two seconds of an IU game and there's serious discussion (not just here) that Romeo could land at IU.
He is also a slime ball who makes me feel like I need a shower any time I see the man. Hopefully, his overall slimy character will tilt RL our way.

I don't know how any parent with a decent set of moral values could send their son to play for a sleazy scumbag like Rick Pitino. Romeo and his family seem to be decent, moral people which hopefully pushes him away from Stripper U.

I think people are undervaluing the fact that Indiana is the state school and Romeo playing there would make him a hero to and loved by millions. Yes, Louisville is closer but it is also in a different state. I know the coaching staff has been selling this angle to him.

I don't know how any parent with a decent set of moral values could send their son to play for a sleazy scumbag like Rick Pitino. Romeo and his family seem to be decent, moral people which hopefully pushes him away from Stripper U.

I think people are undervaluing the fact that Indiana is the state school and Romeo playing there would make him a hero to and loved by millions. Yes, Louisville is closer but it is also in a different state. I know the coaching staff has been selling this angle to him.
Reminds me of the scene in Blind Side when LeeAnn told Orgeron that an assistant coach from another team took Michael to a booby bar and he had nightmares. She didn't want Michael going to that school. Let's hope Romeo's mother is on the same page.

UNC is making a push but I don't know details or how serious it is.
I believe he has an official visit there in Oct. I just don't see him going that far away from home. He's stayed put his whole career and I think he'll end up staying local.

Reminds me of the scene in Blind Side when LeeAnn told Orgeron that an assistant coach from another team took Michael to a booby bar and he had nightmares. She didn't want Michael going to that school. Let's hope Romeo's mother is on the same page.

If she was that horrified by it, I can't imagine that Louisville would still be in the hunt.

But they are having to forfeit some scholarships (assuming the penalties hold up) and that could certainly have an impact on how good they'll be in the coming few years. That certainly might play into RL's thinking -- I know it would mine.

I hope it has a negative influence on him, but I think I read that he has stated it wouldn't play a part in his decision.

Loved by millions? That might be a bit of a reach. He'd be similar to Eric Gordon.

Remember how many on this board treated Noah Vonleh after his one year at IU. He was blamed for Crean's ineptitude and smeared on here - actually still is at times. A one and done who led the Big Ten in rebounds and went on to be a lottery pick? And was completely run into the ground on here for absolutely no reason.

I hope this type of ignorance with some of our fans doesn't hurt us with future recruits. We need to celebrate kids leaving to live their dream and make millions of dollars. Not selfishly ridicule them.

Loved by millions? That might be a bit of a reach. He'd be similar to Eric Gordon.

Remember how many on this board treated Noah Vonleh after his one year at IU. He was blamed for Crean's ineptitude and smeared on here - actually still is at times. A one and done who led the Big Ten in rebounds and went on to be a lottery pick? And was completely run into the ground on here for absolutely no reason.

I hope this type of ignorance with some of our fans doesn't hurt us with future recruits. We need to celebrate kids leaving to live their dream and make millions of dollars. Not selfishly ridicule them.
Have you followed his NBA careers?

I didn't trash Vonleh so don't criticize me in that area. Gordon's tenure at IU was clouded by the Sampson scandal and late season collapse, but he is still well regarded by the IU fanbase.

If there ever was a must get it is Mr. Langford. Otherwise, we are looking at 2019 when we have a chance to contend.

This reads like it's from someone that never played the Game. Maybe any game.

History is replete with many unhearalded Teams that did far more than "contend" including one from IU that would very likely have brought home a banner if its over-achieving point guard hadn't come up lame before the final. So many intangibles, so much that depends on chemistry, so not possible to dismiss any team on any given night or once the Dance begins.

Representing that there's a definitive formula/prescription/imperative for winning based on recruiting is mostly BS and ignores some of the more seductive/enthralling aspects of the Game. They even made a movie about it called Hoosiers. Imagine that. Another one called Miracle worth checking out in case you missed it when it happened.

One thing that is certain is that the Cream and Crimson will "contend" - it's why other Schools mark down games at Assembly Hall as wins in advance.

I didn't trash Vonleh so don't criticize me in that area. Gordon's tenure at IU was clouded by the Sampson scandal and late season collapse, but he is still well regarded by the IU fanbase.
I agree he's well regarded but he's far from a legend...ie Alford, IT, Benson, May, etc.

I never claimed you were critical of Vonleh. I don't remember specifically who was. But it was at least half of the board then. My point is Vonleh was a rare talent who went one and done, and from everything I've heard was a model student and teammate. Never got in trouble, got the grades, and played his butt off every game. So if I'm Romeo I'm thinking what do I have to do to be loved there? You can't win a title by yourself. Something our fans need to consider.

Respectfully,
A guy on another site who has been right a lot with recruiting thinks it is down to 3 teams. They are IU,UL and Vandy and he has the percentage of IU 60%, UL 30% and vandy 10%.

I think a lot of the dislike for Vonleh was that he quit on the team by not playing against OSU.

I think people are undervaluing the fact that Indiana is the state school and Romeo playing there would make him a hero to and loved by millions.
I agree he's well regarded but he's far from a legend...ie Alford, IT, Benson, May, etc.
Zeller, Oladipo, and Yogi never won a title but they are loved here
One and dones don't get anything close to the the reverence that four year players get, and it's only the exceptional two year players who find themselves spoken of with the Mays and Bensons and Cheneys.

Absolutely no reason? There were questions, sure. I'm not going to repeat them right now, because I don't know if there was any there there. But I don't think he was completely run to ground, as you say. Moreover, I doubt recruits waste time during their busy senior year going back through years of message board postings to evaluate schools. Romeo is going to do that for seven schools?

But recruits may browse through current message boards, so, yeah, thanks for catastrophizing about how some people felt about a player years ago, and making them think that.

You just wanted to call others ignorant and by extension, suggest what we say on here is really important.
Ya know, I don't think what we think is really that important. Recruits may like the campus, make nods to the fan base but they are interested in how that coach is going to affect their near and long term future.

Absolutely no reason? There were questions, sure. I'm not going to repeat them right now, because I don't know if there was any there there. But I don't think he was completely run to ground, as you say. Moreover, I doubt recruits waste time during their busy senior year going back through years of message board postings to evaluate schools. Romeo is going to do that for seven schools?

But recruits may browse through current message boards, so, yeah, thanks for catastrophizing about how some people felt about a player years ago, and making them think that.

You just wanted to call others ignorant and by extension, suggest what we say on here is really important.
Ya know, I don't think what we think is really that important. Recruits may like the campus, make nods to the fan base but they are interested in how that coach is going to affect their near and long term future.
He was bashed on here, and other places (not just on message boards), because that team drastically underperformed and all the blind cult followers of Crean (90% of the fanbase then) had to start a witch hunt to blame someone else. So they blamed Yogi and Vonleh. Not the person who deserved it...Crean. It was pathetic. That's the reality.

He was bashed on here, and other places (not just on message boards), because that team drastically underperformed and all the blind cult followers of Crean (90% of the fanbase then) had to start a witch hunt to blame someone else. So they blamed Yogi and Vonleh. Not the person who deserved it...Crean. It was pathetic. That's the reality.
Funny, I was blaming Crean the whole time.

One and dones don't get anything close to the the reverence that four year players get, and it's only the exceptional two year players who find themselves spoken of with the Mays and Bensons and Cheneys.
I don't know why everyone thinks Romeo would be a one and done. Those that have been around him know how important education is to him and his family. I wouldn't be surprised if he stays at least 2 if not 3 years wherever he goes. He certainly has shown the ability to get a degree in that time frame.

I don't know why everyone thinks Romeo would be a one and done. Those that have been around him know how important education is to him and his family. I wouldn't be surprised if he stays at least 2 if not 3 years wherever he goes. He certainly has shown the ability to get a degree in that time frame.
This selfish old IU fan hopes you're right. But I sure don't begrudge a kid taking the kind of money they're throwing around nowadays. The degree will always be available.

This selfish old IU fan hopes you're right. But I sure don't begrudge a kid taking the kind of money they're throwing around nowadays. The degree will always be available.

Yeah let's not kid ourselves...if Romeo has a freshman year as good as many think he will he'll announce for the draft before he gets in the handshake line of his final college game.

As he should.

Reactions: IUgradman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT