ADVERTISEMENT

IU@ISU: IU 15 ISU 14, Final

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
IU got a two-run homer from Fineman in the 1st, and then a two-run homer from Richardson in the 2nd as well as a double by Ashley which brought in another run in the 2nd.

IU is jumping all over ISU right now as the Sycamores are already on their 3rd pitcher. In the 3rd, after a single and two walks, Barr brought in a run on a SF, then Richarson drove in two more runs with a double. Bierman is on the mound for IU and has given up one run on three hits so far.

ISU roughed up Bierman in the 3rd as he gave up four earned runs. He gave up a one-out solo HR, and then back-to-back doubles scored a run, which was followed by a two-run homer. Bierman did finish out the inning. The top of the order has done all of the damage for ISU as they have been responsible for all of their runs.

Manous has replaced Bierman in the 4th with the score still 8-5, IU.

IU pitching in the last couple of innings has fallen apart as they have totally squandered a seven run lead and now trail by two runs. Manous, after getting a leadoff out, gave up a single and a walk, then an unearned run scored on a throwing error by Lloyd. A single scored another unearned run, then Manous gave up a three-run HR. ISU smells blood and has brought in a pitcher with a 1.59 ERA over 17 innings.

ISU added to their lead in the 6th with another homer off Manous. The top of the batting order for ISU is as follows on hits:

3 for 4
1 for 4
3 for 4
3 for 3

The rest of the order has just one hit.

A grand slam by Dunham just gave IU the lead, 12-11, with IU still batting in the 7th. IU has a man on right now with one out, and ISU has brought in another relief pitcher who has an ERA of 0.95 in 19 innings. Barr then doubles to drive in another run with it being 13-11, IU, with still one out in the 7th.

Last edited:
Reactions: mk23
Booooom!!! Dunham!!! Let's tack on some more. I don't feel safe at all with their lineup.

Sloan has replaced Manous in the bottom of the 7th. He faces their clean-up hitter to open the inning who we haven't been able to get out yet, but it's to the bottom of the lineup after that, which hasn't done much at the plate today.

I knew it was too good to be true. After getting the first two batters of the 7th, Sloan walked a batter, and then gave up a two-out homer which tied the game at 13-13.

IU regains the lead in the 8th on an Ashley solo homer with IU up 14-13. ISU is bringing in another relief pitcher who has a 2.84 ERA in 6.1 innings. There are no outs for IU so far.

Braden Scott has come on for IU with ISU batting in the B8th. Scott got the #9 hitter out and now it's on to the top of the order which has killed IU pitching today, and right on queue, their leadoff hitter hits a triple. The #2 hitter get another single to tie the game at 14-14, and the top of the order continues to punish IU pitching.

Barr homers in the top of the 9th to give IU the lead again at 15-14, with one out.

Lloyd is on to try to close it out in the 9th. Fortunately, we are past the top of the order, but will face Wright who had a two-run homer in his last at bat.

Last edited:
Whew. Lloyd gave up a single to the leadoff hitter in the 9th, but got a DP after that. However, another runner got on because of an Ashley error at 2B, but Lloyd got the next batter on a GO to get the save. The pitching staff for both teams took a beating today. The four hitters at the top of ISU's order combined for 13 hits to include four homers, a triple, and three doubles. It was good to see IU continuing their hitting from over the weekend.

Last edited:
I'm of the opinion at this point that every win is not just a good win, but a GREAT win. This one counts big time. Got 'em by a 2-point conversion! :)

I thought I would add that the four batters at the top of ISU's batting order are all seniors, so they have a lot of experience there.

Reactions: mk23
Going in to yesterday ISU was listed as the 6th best in RPI. Even a wild one run win on the road can be good for IU's standing as the season plays out. IU swept Canisus and dropped from 34 to 61. Early season swings can be large.

IU needs to definitely shore up their relief pitching as the season moves on and keep hitting as they move into Big Ten play.

According to the ISU coach, the plate ump was calling a tight zone which was conducive to a high scoring game. The pitchers were having a problem adjusting to the tight zone.

I've already said this was a great win and I'll stick with that, but there are a few things that jump out of the boxscore that still leave me wondering if this team has a chance to turn things around. In no particular order:

Only 9 of the 14 runs we gave up were earned.
Still too many costly mistakes on defense. 9 strikeouts. Just makes it too easy on opponent's defense when all they really have to record is 2 outs per inning. Gave up 16 hits. Enough said.

On the other hand, we only left 3 runners on base. Much improved! Our pitchers only had 2 walks, no HBP, and 1 WP. That's an improvement too.

All in all, we are showing signs. Some good, some not. I'm still hopeful. Let's get 3 from Iowa!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT