ADVERTISEMENT

IU is no longer an elite basketball school. Change my mind.

6th&Dunn

Redshirt
Mar 2, 2013
Most elite basketball programs are simply the product of a single coach:

IU and Knight
Syracuse and Boeheim
UConn and Calhoun
Duke and Coach K
Michigan State and Izzo
Villanova and Wright
UVA and Bennett.

Only a few blue bloods can maintain eliteness across several coaches:

Kansas - Brown, Williams, Self
UNC - Smith, Williams
Kentucky - Rupp, Smith, Calipari
UCLA - Wooden, Harrick

You'll notice that even these blue bloods will struggle from time to time with the wrong coach. Kentucky had Gillespie. UNC had Matt Doherty. UCLA had Lavin and Alford.

This evidence should lead us to believe that coaching is paramount to college bball success. UNC on the jersey means nothing when Matt Doherty is coaching. Indiana on the jersey means nothing when clappy CTC is coaching. Coaching hires, then, are the critical decision points that determine whether a program will be elite or not.

But elite coaches don't grow on trees. IU is now struggling with middling coaches like CTC and CAM. Much like UConn could not find another elite coach, and is now a bottom feeder, so too is IU a bottom feeder, not having found an elite coach.

Therefore, IU basketball is no longer an elite program. Change my mind.

What about one program having national championships over a four decade span?

I'd consider that program a "blue blood".

Do you know which program that is?

What about one program having national championships over a four decade span?

I'd consider that program a "blue blood".

Do you know which program that is?
Just a slight correction - the NIT was the top post season tournament when iu won their first two NCAA championships. Winning the NCAA at that time was the equivalent of winning the NIT today.

IU Basketball and Nebraska football
Once great National Champions, and perennial National Title contenders. Nebraska football still plays in the postseason. Myles Brand destroyed IU basketball, and put a feather in his cap all the way to NCAA Headquarters. A series of poor coaching hires and purposely hiring coaches far away from the RMK tree after Mike Davis, have led IU to this point in time. Archie on paper appears to be the best coaching hire since RMK. But will the IU fanbase remain patient after 20 years of roller coaster results after RMK, to allow Archie to rebuild the once proud B1G Basketball flag bearer at IU.

Last edited:

IU and Knight
Syracuse and Boeheim
UConn and Calhoun
Duke and Coach K
Michigan State and Izzo
Villanova and Wright
UVA and Bennett.

UNC - Smith, Williams
UCLA - Wooden, Harrick

You'll notice that even these blue bloods will struggle from time to time with the wrong coach. Kentucky had Gillespie. UNC had Matt Doherty. UCLA had Lavin and Alford.

This evidence should lead us to believe that coaching is paramount to college bball success. UNC on the jersey means nothing when Matt Doherty is coaching. Indiana on the jersey means nothing when clappy CTC is coaching. Coaching hires, then, are the critical decision points that determine whether a program will be elite or not.

But elite coaches don't grow on trees. IU is now struggling with middling coaches like CTC and CAM. Much like UConn could not find another elite coach, and is now a bottom feeder, so too is IU a bottom feeder, not having found an elite coach.

I really thought that CAM and Romeo would turn things around for Indiana. But, they were weaker than anticipated, along with a worthless AD! IU needs a major house cleaning in Basketball and football and administration. We have weak players and coaches that have no control over their players and an AD that has no control over the coaches! Clean house IU, including the President!!

Reactions: fundamentalsneeded

IU and Knight
Syracuse and Boeheim
UConn and Calhoun
Duke and Coach K
Michigan State and Izzo
Villanova and Wright
UVA and Bennett.

UNC - Smith, Williams
UCLA - Wooden, Harrick

Nope, I won't even try.

But don't misunderstand...it took a calculated and concerted effort to "de-emphasize" the basketball program at Indiana.

fred-photo-essay-01.jpg

We need to get in bed more with shoe companies and agents. Then u will see a uptick!

Nope, I won't even try.

But don't misunderstand...it took a calculated and concerted effort to "de-emphasize" the basketball program at Indiana.

fred-photo-essay-01.jpg
I would expect nothing less from a POS liberal like this Clown!!!! Evan Bayh's chief of staff, what a complete douche he is.

Reactions: Jack R
Just a slight correction - the NIT was the top post season tournament when iu won their first two NCAA championships. Winning the NCAA at that time was the equivalent of winning the NIT today.

Written like a true broilee. 5-0 lil bro

I would expect nothing less from a POS liberal like this Clown!!!! Evan Bayh's chief of staff, what a complete douche he is.

We get it again...you voted for TRump. Take it to the WC.

Of course, you're too chicken to post over there, because you know even less about politics than basketball (which is mind-blowing), and you know you'll get destroyed over there.

it doesn't hurt that these coaches can bring in dominant centers who can control the back boards at both ends of the court. For example John Thompson and Georgetown. Bill Russell at San Francisco.

We get it again...you voted for TRump. Take it to the WC.

Of course, you're too chicken to post over there, because you know even less about politics than basketball (which is mind-blowing), and you know you'll get destroyed over there.
You are the laughing stock of this board, keep proving me right

IU and Knight
Syracuse and Boeheim
UConn and Calhoun
Duke and Coach K
Michigan State and Izzo
Villanova and Wright
UVA and Bennett.

UNC - Smith, Williams
UCLA - Wooden, Harrick

Nothing I say will change your opinion. If your opinion changes it's because YOU want it to change.

IMHO . . . IU is no longer an elite BB program. And, also do not believe in blue blood programs.

Blood does not change colors based on wins or losses. But "eliteness" is granted based on wins and losses.

IU has not been elite in 30 years and likely never will be again. It is probably time we all accept the fact we have an administration that will never do what it take to be elite. I know I have started to come to grips with this finally.

I'd argue IU hasn't been elite since 1993-Calbert's senior year. Sure there has been an occasional bright spot along the way (2002, 2013), but it's really been a slow decline for 26 years.
Heck we have made one elite 8 since 1993. That is as many as archie had at Dayton and is flat out pathetic.

IU Basketball and Nebraska football
Once great National Champions, and perennial National Title contenders. Nebraska football still plays in the postseason. Myles Brand destroyed IU basketball, and put a feather in his cap all the way to NCAA Headquarters. A series of poor coaching hires and purposely hiring coaches far away from the RMK tree after Mike Davis, have led IU to this point in time. Archie on paper appears to be the best coaching hire since RMK. But will the IU fanbase remain patient after 20 years of roller coaster results after RMK, to allow Archie to rebuild the once proud B1G Basketball flag bearer at IU.

While Archie may work out on paper Crean looked just as good with a final four on his belt. We all know how that worked out.

Reactions: IUgradman
The most significant problem the program faces is a lack of committed support from the university administration from the top down. President McRobbie could not care less about the athletic programs, and even views them as nothing but "extracurricular activities." He will continue siphoning large sums of money from the Big Ten Network deal as well as other revenue streams, and pour it into academic programs. Meanwhile, Purdue has a president -- Mitch Daniels -- who is 100% committed to supporting all of his athletic programs.

Typically, this could be overcome by a shrewd athletic director, but we are stuck with Fred Glass.

I’m looking at the top 25 today and half of the teams that are in there are the so called “football schools.”

Did IU get the balance wrong? Did it put all of its eggs in one basket and hope to ride on the fumes of RMK for forever?

I cannot help to think that having a healthy investment and balance in both benefits both programs and energizes the fan base. Some may disagree that the two are mutually exclusive.

I see teams like Wisconsin in here every year and know full well that their basketball program was “funded” on the back of Alvarez success. It seems that if you get a solid football program in place to generate a bunch of money, that trickles down to b-ball where you can then build places like a Kohl Center and ramp up basketball quickly.

Fans say “But we are basketball crazy!”

And they don’t pack the arenas at Texas Tech, Michigan or Michigan State? IU thinks it has some kind of monopoly on the sport and other fan bases don’t care? Nonsense.

Even Duke and UK have football programs now.

So...does that make it better or worse than a Helm's Title...?
Well - seeing as how you are more than likely a Notre Dame football fan I would equate the Purdue National Championship to all of those Irish football National Championships.

Well - seeing as how you are more than likely a Notre Dame football fan I would equate the Purdue National Championship to all of those Irish football National Championships.

So...a deflection is it?

You've got nothing. At least those Notre Dame Championships weren't voted on by a bunch of bakers 30 years after the fact...oh, wait...

You are right. If Assembly Hall is only a third full or two thirds empty they will finally do something. It's all about the money. Basketball is the cash cow.

It would take five or six years straight of bad results for that to happen. Indiana has one of the most loyal fan bases there is and people show up no matter what. I think you would probably have to miss the tournament for five or six straight years to see a half empty stadium. One of the reasons the admins do not care cause the place is still sold out.

Reactions: IUgradman
It would take five or six years straight of bad results for that to happen. Indiana has one of the most loyal fan bases there is and people show up no matter what. I think you would probably have to miss the tournament for five or six straight years to see a half empty stadium. One of the reasons the admins do not care cause the place is still sold out.
Which is sad cause you are taking advantage of people and wasting their money on a shitty product

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT