ADVERTISEMENT

IU is in a precarious position right now....

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
Action is already underway in our pod and OSU has throttled Nebraska's strong offense so far and is up on them as I post this, 9-2, in the 7th. and the Huskers just have two hits so far. I complain about IU's fielding, but in this game, each team has two errors each so far that have impacted the game. IU not only has fallen into 4th place, they are just 1.5 games ahead of Iowa and 3.5 games ahead of OSU which is in 6th place. If OSU continues their winning ways in this pod while we continue to falter, they would be right on our heels by the end of Monday's action. Nebraska has to turn around and play us as part of their double-header, which should be a plus for us, and I assume we will see their #3 starter going against Brown. Nebraska has already had to bring in two pitchers out of their bullpen, so they may be thin in that area when they play us later on. If we can win the game today, we will have split the four games we played against Nebraska this season. IMO, we absolutely need to win this game today to stop the bleeding and hopefully right the ship.

Reactions: mk23 and Epictetus
Yeah, this is do or die, and I'm sure the coaches and players know it. I'm sure they'll give it their best. We'll see if that's enough to keep up with the big dogs.

Reactions: ptrich
OSU's bullpen gave up five runs in the 7th, and the Huskers had the bases loaded in the 8th, but they failed to score as OSU hangs on with a 9-7 lead in the B8th. The Huskers have used three pitchers out of the bullpen so far.

Talk about a bullpen collapse, Nebraska just tied the game at 9-9 on a two-run homer in the T9th. OSU's bullpen has given up 7 runs starting in the 7th. After the homer, a Husker hit a single and advanced to 2nd on an error, OSU's 4th in the game, with one out. If this game goes to extra innings, that would be another plus for us as the Huskers have to decide what they would do with their bullpen while having another game today with us.

Talk about a bullpen collapse, Nebraska just tied the game at 9-9 on a two-run homer in the T9th. OSU's bullpen has given up 7 runs starting in the 7th. After the homer, a Husker hit a single and advanced to 2nd on an error, OSU's 4th in the game, with one out. If this game goes to extra innings, that would be another plus for us as the Huskers have to decide what they would do with their bullpen while having another game today with us.
It may be moot as Neb just took a 11-9 lead on a triple and then a single in the T9th. A HUGE collapse by OSU.

Neb wins the game 11-9. It must be nice to have an offense that can come back like that, although they got plenty of help from OSU also. Neb used four relief pitchers, but three of them saw a very limited number of batters, and the fourth faced just eight batters, so I assume they could be used in our game.

I thought that I would add that Iowa lost to NW today, 5-4, so we got a little bit of help when it comes to the two teams that are behind us and nipping at our heels. I thought I would also add that you know Minnesota is having a historically bad year, when they are getting embarrassed by next to last place Purdue over the weekend. They have lost the first two games of that four-game series by a wide margin and are losing today in game 3 by another wide margin. Not counting today, they have lost 15 straight with loss number 16 about to happen, and are 4-28, again, not counting today which looks like a loss.

Last edited:
I thought that I would add that Iowa lost to NW today, 5-4, so we got a little bit of help when it comes to the two teams that are behind us and nipping at our heels. I thought I would also add that you know Minnesota is having a historically bad year, when they are getting embarrassed by next to last place Purdue over the weekend. They have lost the first two games of that four-game series by a wide margin and are losing today in game 3 by another wide margin. Not counting today, they have lost 15 straight with loss number 16 about to happen, and are 4-28, again, not counting today which looks like a loss.
What on earth has happened to them? Isn’t their coach like Babe Ruth’s college roommate or something?

What on earth has happened to them? Isn’t their coach like Babe Ruth’s college roommate or something?
Their coach, John Anderson, has been around since Moses parted the Red Sea, and I believe he's been the coach there for around 40 years, and for the most part he has been a highly successful coach there. I saw an article about the program and the problems they are facing this season quite some time ago, but for the life of me and I can't remember the particulars of it other than to say that he/they are blaming the Covid situation for a big part of it. However, every team in the B1G has had to deal that situation, so I don't know about that. I believe I saw that he is in the final year of his contract, so you have to wonder if he will be around next season.

Their coach, John Anderson, has been around since Moses parted the Red Sea, and I believe he's been the coach there for around 40 years, and for the most part he has been a highly successful coach there. I saw an article about the program and the problems they are facing this season quite some time ago, but for the life of me and I can't remember the particulars of it other than to say that he/they are blaming the Covid situation for a big part of it. However, every team in the B1G has had to deal that situation, so I don't know about that. I believe I saw that he is in the final year of his contract, so you have to wonder if he will be around next season.
Dang man. I love the old-timers like Anderson. Hope he gets a 10- year extension. Baseball is better with guys like that.

A bit of levity in the midst of a disappointing end to a disappointing season. I believe going into today’s action it is mathematically possible for IU to finish anywhere between 1st and garner the automatic NCAA slot or 7th. It would only be possible to finish first because it is the B1G and IF Nebraska were to lose out and IU win out they would both have 19 losses BUT Nebraska would have 1 less win given the Covid cancellation with Northwestern. That of course ain’t happening for multiple reasons but the B1G efforts should be recognized.

It would seem natural to set the IU finish over & under at 4th given the mathematically possible range. I’ll take the under & seriously doubt they make the field of 64 without some most unlikely results for IU & Michigan/Maryland (Nebraska is in deservedly & the M’s are likely) IMO.

Seriously, this looks like a team whose season ended some games back. I can’t pinpoint when, certainly Michigan 3 but likely before, and have no insight as to why, but this finish is a serious concern. Next season will be very important for Hoosier baseball, and the fall much more important than normal IMO.
Agree, winning and getting help along the way is possible. But as you know the odds and probability of that are very low. I have thought throughout the season that the B10 is a 2 or 3 team bid league with the setup this year.

Serious concern is warranted. A lack of talent is certainly not an issue. As we saw with basketball, there is inherent risk hiring mid major coaches with limited head coaching experience. Still early in that tenure though, but agree next year the pressure will be on if it goes awry. But that another lengthy discussion for later.

IU is playing it’s way out of the postseason. At 111 in the RPI today, and the remaining schedule, likely not making the tournament.
A bit of levity in the midst of a disappointing end to a disappointing season. I believe going into today’s action it is mathematically possible for IU to finish anywhere between 1st and garner the automatic NCAA slot or 7th. It would only be possible to finish first because it is the B1G and IF Nebraska were to lose out and IU win out they would both have 19 losses BUT Nebraska would have 1 less win given the Covid cancellation with Northwestern. That of course ain’t happening for multiple reasons but the B1G efforts should be recognized.

It would seem natural to set the IU finish over & under at 4th given the mathematically possible range. I’ll take the under & seriously doubt they make the field of 64 without some most unlikely results for IU, Mi

Seriously, this looks like a team whose season ended some games back. I can’t pinpoint when, certainly Michigan 3 but likely before, and have no insight as to why, but this finish is a serious concern. Next season will be very important for Hoosier baseball, and the fall much more important than normal IMO.
Agree, winning and getting help along the way is possible. But as you know the odds and probability of that are very low. I have thought throughout the season that the B10 is a 2 or 3 team bid league with the setup this year.

Serious concern is warranted. A lack of talent is certainly not an issue. As we saw with basketball, there is inherent risk hiring mid major coaches with limited head coaching experience. Still early in that tenure though, but agree next year the pressure will be on if it goes awry. But that another lengthy discussion for later.
First, my math was flawed with respect to IU finishing first, in my haste to pile on the B1G, at the risk of being pissy, I goofed. Funny how those things often go together. I posted before the season that I thought this season could be a challenge because among other things there was too much talent on the team and the limitations on playing opportunities. I think that situation roster would have presented a bit of a unique challenge for most coaches. Nonetheless the residual disappointment from this season has to be addressed before next year. I would say that whether the coach at IU this season was a successful coach from a mid major or an assistant from a successful program like Coach Lemonis or Coach Jewett it would have been a challenge to hit the right balance. Especially with what has been a chronic weakness up the middle for this program, notwithstanding an occasional outstanding individual like Richardson. Coach Mercer did win the conference in his first season, a most rare occurrence, made more impressive given Michigan’s run in the ‘19 CWS.

BTW, I see Maryland is up on Michigan in their rubber match.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT