ADVERTISEMENT

IU is having a sneaky good day…..

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may have been, but he better change if he wants to stay at IU.
Well, he’ll be the OC next season unless he decides to take another job. And why do you think Coach Allen was such a fan of Bell’s tempo offense when he hired him? It’s not like anyone who knew about Bell was surprised by the way he wanted to play.

Well, he’ll be the OC next season unless he decides to take another job. And why do you think Coach Allen was such a fan of Bell’s tempo offense when he hired him? It’s not like anyone who knew about Bell was surprised by the way he wanted to play.
I think coach Allen wanted an offense like he ran at Maryland the way he described it. Coach Allen knew after talking to NFL coaches not to run fast paced offense all the time so I doubt he expected fast pace all the time. He knew what it would do to the defense and finally told Bell to slow down. His offense killed the defense and they had to move a RB to LB along with moving Fitzgerald to LB and playing our freshman at LB against PU.

I think coach Allen wanted an offense like he ran at Maryland the way he described it. Coach Allen knew after talking to NFL coaches not to run fast paced offense all the time so I doubt he expected fast pace all the time. He knew what it would do to the defense and finally told Bell to slow down. His offense killed the defense and they had to move a RB to LB along with moving Fitzgerald to LB and playing our freshman at LB against PU.
Maybe while he’s at it, Coach Allen could also talk to some NFL coaches about how to tackle , generate a pass rush, and get aligned correctly on defense.

There was no mystery with what offense Coach Bell would run. It was a tempo, run first attack predicated on a high number of plays. Coach Allen absolutely knew this when he hired Bell.

Fickell didn’t run one at UC and the new OC (Phil Longo) didn’t run an air raid at UNC, where he’s been the play caller for the last four seasons. So no, all indications are that they won’t do that.
From The Athletic:
Luke Fickell, who had recruited Mettauer at Cincinnati, was hired to lead Wisconsin. He then brought in the offensive coordinator Mettauer had developed perhaps the best relationship with of anyone during his recruitment: North Carolina’s Phil Longo, whose Air Raid offense greatly intrigued Mettauer, a dual-threat with a strong right arm.

Wisconsin won’t play a game with Fickell’s new coaching staff in place for more than eight months. But the appeal of a different and potentially dynamic offensive system already is paying dividends. For proof, just look at Mettauer, who chose Wisconsin over finalists North Carolina and Kansas State. Mettauer paid close attention to what Longo achieved with his last two quarterbacks at UNC, as Sam Howell set 27 school records and Drake Mayefinished 10th in Heisman Trophy voting this season.

“He said the offense that’s at North Carolina, I’m going to just bring it right over to Wisconsin,” Mettauer said. “I love his offense. I love what he does with it, how he has a good run-to-pass ratio. I love to pass the ball and get a few runs in during the game. I definitely love his offense that he’s bringing back over to Wisconsin.”

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
It will be interesting to see how Wisconsin fans react to the change in Wisconsin football. Will it be a culture shock that doesn't go over very well, will they welcome the change, or will it take winning big time to bring them around.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
It will be interesting to see how Wisconsin fans react to the change in Wisconsin football. Will it be a culture shock that doesn't go over very well, will they welcome the change, or will it take winning big time to bring them around.
I did hear him address that in the presser. Said it will be a slow change. Can’t remember how he put it but I was skeptical when he hired his staff. I bet the offense will look completely different. Hell they will probably shock the rest of the B1G. It will be strange seeing Wisconsin football.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Our average is brought down because we have a unranked kicker.

Take him out and we're middle of the pack when you go by average, which would be above a 3 since he's the only player not above a 3 and we have two 4 stars signed.

We'd be looking at probably 6 for average ranking not with the kicker in there.

Just looked at the average rankings, and we're 6th in the conference, even with our kicker, which doesn't include out transfers we brought in.

Recruiting has never been the problem with this staff.

From The Athletic:
Luke Fickell, who had recruited Mettauer at Cincinnati, was hired to lead Wisconsin. He then brought in the offensive coordinator Mettauer had developed perhaps the best relationship with of anyone during his recruitment: North Carolina’s Phil Longo, whose Air Raid offense greatly intrigued Mettauer, a dual-threat with a strong right arm.

Wisconsin won’t play a game with Fickell’s new coaching staff in place for more than eight months. But the appeal of a different and potentially dynamic offensive system already is paying dividends. For proof, just look at Mettauer, who chose Wisconsin over finalists North Carolina and Kansas State. Mettauer paid close attention to what Longo achieved with his last two quarterbacks at UNC, as Sam Howell set 27 school records and Drake Mayefinished 10th in Heisman Trophy voting this season.

“He said the offense that’s at North Carolina, I’m going to just bring it right over to Wisconsin,” Mettauer said. “I love his offense. I love what he does with it, how he has a good run-to-pass ratio. I love to pass the ball and get a few runs in during the game. I definitely love his offense that he’s bringing back over to Wisconsin.”
They were a 50/50 run / pass offense at UNC. That’s not an air raid.

Good grief. Just because you pass less doesn’t mean it isn’t air raid. The only thing some guys do that keeps it from being an air raid is the lineman splits. Lots of offenses are hybrids of many. His style of air raid is 10% more run plays. He’s still and always will be a Mike leach offense guy.

Good grief. Just because you pass less doesn’t mean it isn’t air raid. The only thing some guys do that keeps it from being an air raid is the lineman splits. Lots of offenses are hybrids of many. His style of air raid is 10% more run plays. He’s still and always will be a Mike leach offense guy.
Did you watch UNC play with Longo as the OC? Very unlikely based on your posting here.

Did you watch UNC play with Longo as the OC? Very unlikely based on your posting here.
Ok ordy. I’ll post another. He is an air raid guy. He’s going to use many air raid concepts on passing downs. split the linemen 2 feet apart. You can look at tape and see it. Like I said on an earlier post he uses his variation of offense.

Longo will run zone and gap schemes. He likes GT Counter, Power, and inside and outside zone. He’s a big RPO proponent who will also let the QB run on GT Counter and inside zone read. They’ll even wrinkle in speed option at times for Howell. In the passing game they use Air Raid concepts. Please stop arguing that he’s not running any or some air raid.

Last edited:
“Phil Longo spent four seasons at North Carolina and had the Tar Heels offense put together some impressive seasons in terms of offensive production during that time. Under Longo, the Tar Heels ran the Air Raid offense and it was a perfect fit for the talent they had there.” https://tarheelswire.usatoday.com/2...reveals-what-it-took-to-leave-north-carolina/

Phil Longo Coachtube course on Air Raid with UNC depictions

https://www.jsonline.com/story/spor...f-its-indeed-coming-to-wisconsin/69712146007/

But I guess you would know best, Ordfan

“Phil Longo spent four seasons at North Carolina and had the Tar Heels offense put together some impressive seasons in terms of offensive production during that time. Under Longo, the Tar Heels ran the Air Raid offense and it was a perfect fit for the talent they had there.” https://tarheelswire.usatoday.com/2...reveals-what-it-took-to-leave-north-carolina/

Phil Longo Coachtube course on Air Raid with UNC depictions

https://www.jsonline.com/story/spor...f-its-indeed-coming-to-wisconsin/69712146007/

But I guess you would know best, Ordfan
Like many Leach coaching tree guy they have their own take and run different stuff out of it. He still splits the lineman etc. needless to say Wisconsin offense is going to look drastically different.

Ok ordy. I’ll post another. He is an air raid guy. He’s going to use many air raid concepts on passing downs. split the linemen 2 feet apart. You can look at tape and see it. Like I said on an earlier post he uses his variation of offense.

Longo will run zone and gap schemes. He likes GT Counter, Power, and inside and outside zone. He’s a big RPO proponent who will also let the QB run on GT Counter and inside zone read. They’ll even wrinkle in speed option at times for Howell. In the passing game they use Air Raid concepts. Please stop arguing that he’s not running any or some air raid.
I never said he wouldn’t use AR concepts, only that they wouldn’t be running an AR scheme, as you claimed they would. The Ordy stuff only shows you don’t have a good argument and feel the need to troll. It’s weak.

I never said he wouldn’t use AR concepts, only that they wouldn’t be running an AR scheme, as you claimed they would. The Ordy stuff only shows you don’t have a good argument and feel the need to troll. It’s weak.
You trolled me. I made a comment and then you said a bunch of nonsense. I just gave you all the stuff I need to. So ordy it is. Goofy.

You trolled me. I made a comment and then you said a bunch of nonsense. I just gave you all the stuff I need to. So ordy it is. Goofy.
I didn’t troll you at all. i just corrected your misunderstanding of a coach you knew nothing about. And none of you have yet to say why you’ve made Ordy your nemesis. Really weird.

• Haha
Did you watch it? where at 3:40 he calls it an Air Raid? Which you adamantly said they would not be running
Did you listen to his actual comments? Where he emphasized the backfield and the offensive line advantages they have? Have you still not looked at what he’s been doing at UNC for the last several seasons? Hes been almost exactly a 50 / 50 guy, and with none of the wide split O line tactics that Mike Leach was known to employ. And he specifically talked about their use of three tight ends, something the ML / HM offenses never did but something that UW offenses were known for under Alvarez, Bielma, Andersen and Chryst. Thats what he’ll be doing in Madison, too. Hope that helps.

Did you listen to his actual comments? Where he emphasized the backfield and the offensive line advantages they have? Have you still not looked at what he’s been doing at UNC for the last several seasons? Hes been almost exactly a 50 / 50 guy, and with none of the wide split O line tactics that Mike Leach was known to employ. And he specifically talked about their use of three tight ends, something the ML / HM offenses never did but something that UW offenses were known for under Alvarez, Bielma, Andersen and Chryst. Thats what he’ll be doing in Madison, too. Hope that helps.
Did you hear what he called it ordfan? He called it air raid. A I R RAID. Just say “I was wrong“.

I think when the offensive coordinator himself uses those words, he might know a little more about it than you do, even if some of the things that you say about it are correct

Did you hear what he called it ordfan? He called it air raid. A I R RAID. Just say “I was wrong“.

I think when the offensive coordinator himself uses those words, he might know a little more about it than you do, even if some of the things that you say about it are correct
Did you actually listen to the substance of what he said? I realize you’re just trolling, but you’re embarrassing yourself by pretending to know what an Air Raid offense is. And the Ordy stuff only underscores the weakness of your argument. But please post your last exchange with that phantom poster. I’ll wait patiently . . .

Did you actually listen to the substance of what he said? I realize you’re just trolling, but you’re embarrassing yourself by pretending to know what an Air Raid offense is. And the Ordy stuff only underscores the weakness of your argument. But please post your last exchange with that phantom poster. I’ll wait patiently . . .
I heard what he said. Part of what He said was AIR RAID. Which you/Ordfan made very clear there was no way they’d be playing.

I heard what he said. Part of what He said was AIR RAID. Which you/Ordfan made very clear there was no way they’d be playing.
So you didn’t listen to the entire interview and actually pay attention to the substance of it? And you didn’t post anything from your made up enemy, Ordy? Why am I not surprised? Go troll elsewhere. We want to talk IU football.

When wrong (often) move the goal posts. SOP for your buddy

So you didn’t listen to the entire interview and actually pay attention to the substance of it? And you didn’t post anything from your made up enemy, Ordy? Why am I not surprised? Go troll elsewhere. We want to talk IU football.
I agree. Mike Leach Air Raid is very different from some of Mike Leach disciples air raid. Purdue is running the air raid, but is expected to be about 60-40 pass to run. The air raid portion just refers to certain scheme portions and is known as being a bit more simple. I actual think we will see Purdue run more under the air raid then under Brohm.

• Wow
I agree. Mike Leach Air Raid is very different from some of Mike Leach disciples air raid. Purdue is running the air raid, but is expected to be about 60-40 pass to run. The air raid portion just refers to certain scheme portions and is known as being a bit more simple. I actual think we will see Purdue run more under the air raid then under Brohm.
Exactly. If you follow the sport, it’s easy to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT