ADVERTISEMENT

IU is having a sneaky good day…..

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s the last place class in the Big Ten. #14.
Hell, Purdoo kept more of it’s guys with a coaching change a week ago. What’s that tell you?
What that tells me, IU has moved up after today's signings are within two points pass Purdue for 13th in the B1G.

IU's Class
Purdue's Class

The pulled a 4-star from U of Texas that actually saw playing time. They also moved up over 20 points in the national rankings. I know I know 13th/14th in B1G classes ... still listing to you it is amazing anyone signed today.

Too many people look at the total recruiting score instead of the average rate that accounts for smaller classes.
The average rating(not rank) is what I look at. Almost 87.00 rating is actually on par with half the B1G. Only 19 recruits vs 29. Makes a difference and I hate the way they rank them. It’s actually a good sign. I wasn’t expecting it.

You forgot to mention that their highest ranked prospect, Kendrick Gilbert, isn't signing this period.

Our class is signed, theirs isn't.
Actually, I stand corrected on this. Our rating is largely a function of the volume of recruits.
Purdue’’s 2 interior linemen are in the portal as of today, Branson Dean and Johnson. Our DL was awful this year and these are 2 Indiana kids.

Too many people look at the total recruiting score instead of the average rate that accounts for smaller classes.
By your measure, we’re #13 in the Big Ten. Feels like we need to be better than that if we want to move up, wouldn’t you agree?

We brought in 16 today, but on the second signing period we will likely add another 10-15. (I presume in this day and age, it might be smart to hold a few back to have just in case or post spring ball.

I think we added 2 good DL players, some athletic DBs, 1 vet and 3 more good size OL for our new coach to actually grow and develop, and a good WR prospect from Florida.

Again, take away McCollough and maybe Barner, I think we have likely traded up for the remaining players who left IU and then some. And to think another 10-15 who may be coming more from the post bowl game teams via portal 2 session, I think Allen & Co have again managed to find some legit players who could actually be more productive then the starters/vets we had last year. All TBD of course.

This reminds me of Baghdad Bob in the first Iraq war. That guy was remarkable in that he could put a positive spin on literally the worst life and death situation.

Not only do you need good players but you need dozens of them on both sides of the ball. And even if they can pull a rabbit out of the hat the Hoosier still have Walt Bell
whose idea of misdirection is to take an open field speedster who's the smallest guy on the team and run him straight up the middle on first down behind a line that cannot block.

This reminds me of Baghdad Bob in the first Iraq war. That guy was remarkable in that he could put a positive spin on literally the worst life and death situation.

Not only do you need good players but you need dozens of them on both sides of the ball. And even if they can pull a rabbit out of the hat the Hoosier still have Walt Bell
whose idea of misdirection is to take an open field speedster who's the smallest guy on the team and run him straight up the middle on first down behind a line that cannot block.
Everything next year is going to depend on whether or not that line can block.

Every coach will look like crap when the OL doesn't block.

What’s the deal with Gilbert not signing with boilers ? Don’t remember if we were a player there or not,but based on ranking & need…….

I’m staying positive. Considering our current status in the college football universe - I can’t complain about the job our coaches did to get this class. However - losing Jones to Cinci has me very concerned that we may have to start a freshman QB. We need someone that has a few years under their belt and has some ability to escape when our O-line collapses.

Reactions: vesuvius13
It’s because they use a flawed ranking system. It depends more on number of commitments. Doesn’t tell the whole story. We explained that.
No, we’re 13th based on the average stars per recruit. That‘s the argument V13 was making, not one tied to the total number of recruits. Just assumed you and others understood that. Sorry.

Rankings may not mean shit anymore with the volume of kids moving in and out of the portal these days. In IU’s group of veterans from the 2019 thru 2021 classes, we signed a total of 56 kids. That makes up a large percentage of the scholarship roster for a team. Guess how many are still here?

So, who cares what the class looks like on paper when you only retained 1/3 of your signees.

• Wow
Reactions: mk30 and 82hoosier
No, we’re 13th based on the average stars per recruit. That‘s the argument V13 was making, not one tied to the total number of recruits. Just assumed you and others understood that. Sorry.
As we have seen in the past the stars don't tell how good players are and I hope IU has hit on some very good players and can pull in more very good players by the next signing day. Getting a Lucas, McFadden, Penix, Ramsey, in this class would be very good.

We now have an OL coach that has good OLs at Wisconsin. I hope not only is the OL better this year, the improvement in developing in players is evident with this coach that was missing with Hiller as coach. We saw the improvement in running game with Hiller gone and if IU can find a very good QB that can pass and run to come to IU from the portal the OL could be very good.

As we have seen in the past the stars don't tell how good players are and I hope IU has hit on some very good players and can pull in more very good players by the next signing day. Getting a Lucas, McFadden, Penix, Ramsey, in this class would be very good.

We now have an OL coach that has good OLs at Wisconsin. I hope not only is the OL better this year, the improvement in developing in players is evident with this coach that was missing with Hiller as coach. We saw the improvement in running game with Hiller gone and if IU can find a very good QB that can pass and run to come to IU from the portal the OL could be very good.
But is the coach a fit. Wisconsin just changed to the air raid. We run the air raid of sorts. Hope he is.

Reactions: vesuvius13
But is the coach a fit. Wisconsin just changed to the air raid. We run the air raid of sorts. Hope he is.
Walt Bell's offense is not an air raid. It is just an up-tempo spread,
but I think, in an ideal world, he'd like it to be more-or-less a tempo spread-option offense.

That's why I think McCall would the absolute home-run get. He basically ran that at CCU.

Bell's offense is not air raid. Fast paced does not mean air raid. Air raid is what Western Kentucky runs.
He runs as many air raid principals as any.

During the Presser Monday Zach Osterman asked Coach Bell on Monday: "Philosophical question...in terms of how you want this offense to operate, some of the Air Raid principles..."

While it’s not pure air raid(no split lineman)he has stated he was at the time moving towards it. This hire suggests he’s not. Going to be an interesting offseason.

But that’s not why they are 13th. It’s because it’s the number of recruits weighted to high.
If you score it based on average stars, we’re 13th, as well. That was the point V13 was making, though I think he believed the ranking would be higher than that.

Bell's offense is not air raid. Fast paced does not mean air raid. Air raid is what Western Kentucky runs.
Can WKU’s style of offense be consistently successful in the BIG? They seem awfully tough to defend. I’m guessing it can’t be successful or more teams would implement that offense. None the less it is fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT