ADVERTISEMENT

IU is currently the #1 ranked class in the nation among...

We are the #1 class that includes a McCullough. lol

Not sure that means much since everyone with more than 2 commits is excluded.

Reactions: jb17 and YOTHN
Hopefully we can also snag Tiawan's brother Trevell Mullen. He is a top 200 player in the 2022 class. Do that and then add a guy like Curry and suddenly IU has themselves a stout class at the top.
I saw some video of him at a recent camp and he was beyond very impressive. We need him. It's down to IU or the U. I can believe I just typed that sentence! That a recuit is choosing between Indiana or Miami of Flordia. My how times have changed.

Last edited:
I really hope they land Mullen. CBs like that family has produced don't just fall off trees.
I think if we land him, we will have officially locked in the hardest part of cementing ourselves as a legit program. Longevity. This 2022 class is going to be big in replacing a lot of talent on our depth chart that we will lose after this coming season. Adding guys like Dasan, Kaiden Turner, Mullen (along with the guys coming in this year) will help us maintain the foundation that has been built. Once you string these seasons together, expectations change (as we have already seen) and anything is possible from there. Its incredibly rare to turn a dormant program around to this level but for all of the horrific things COVID has done, having that free season of eligibility just so happen to fall on our best season since 1967 helps offset the amount of bad luck we have had the last 30 years. But it means nothing if we can't capitalize on it and CTA keeps doing just that.

CTA is looking to be the best thing that has happened to IU Sports aside from RMK. For IU football fans to be going into a fall football season with REAL expectations is something I genuinely can't wrap my mind around. That isn't 100% on CTA as it takes an army and he would be the first to graciously say just that. But no matter how the chips fall, he is making the decisions from the top down so if the buck stops there, it also starts there.

N
We are the #1 class that includes a McCullough. lol

Not sure that means much since everyone with more than 2 commits is excluded.
It means...just what it says: among those with 2 or less commits we're # 1. When is the least time under any criteria we had recruiting class in football that was # 1 in anything? That's the significance, it's not to suggest that we are on our way to some great class or now we're rubbing elbows wiith 'Bama.

Reactions: vesuvius13
N

It means...just what it says: among those with 2 or less commits we're # 1. When is the least time under any criteria we had recruiting class in football that was # 1 in anything? That's the significance, it's not to suggest that we are on our way to some great class or now we're rubbing elbows wiith 'Bama.

Yes, great start but that's all it is. The only ranking that matters is the one on signing day and even then it will depend on how close that ranking is to reality on the field.

For us to remain competitive, the players will have to keep outplaying their recruit ranking.

Yes, great start but that's all it is. The only ranking that matters is the one on signing day and even then it will depend on how close that ranking is to reality on the field.

For us to remain competitive, the players will have to keep outplaying their recruit ranking.
Well, yes of course. Those things are always true, goes without saying. They're a given.

Reactions: limestonecowboy
I think if we land him, we will have officially locked in the hardest part of cementing ourselves as a legit program. Longevity. This 2022 class is going to be big in replacing a lot of talent on our depth chart that we will lose after this coming season. Adding guys like Dasan, Kaiden Turner, Mullen (along with the guys coming in this year) will help us maintain the foundation that has been built. Once you string these seasons together, expectations change (as we have already seen) and anything is possible from there. Its incredibly rare to turn a dormant program around to this level but for all of the horrific things COVID has done, having that free season of eligibility just so happen to fall on our best season since 1967 helps offset the amount of bad luck we have had the last 30 years. But it means nothing if we can't capitalize on it and CTA keeps doing just that.

CTA is looking to be the best thing that has happened to IU Sports aside from RMK. For IU football fans to be going into a fall football season with REAL expectations is something I genuinely can't wrap my mind around. That isn't 100% on CTA as it takes an army and he would be the first to graciously say just that. But no matter how the chips fall, he is making the decisions from the top down so if the buck stops there, it also starts there.
with what we lose, it's a big recruiting year this year. last year may have been bigger

Reactions: YOTHN

I’m not so sure CTA is better than Doc Counselman or Jerry Yeagly yet. If he can get us six or seven natties then you can say that. But I do think CTA is the best thing to happen to IU football ever and I am very excited by what he is doing.

I’m not so sure CTA is better than Doc Counselman or Jerry Yeagly yet. If he can get us six or seven natties then you can say that. But I do think CTA is the best thing to happen to IU football ever and I am very excited by what he is doing.
I love soccer but you can win 10 soccer nattys and it wouldn't be as important as making 1 Rose Bowl. Is it fair? No, but it is reality.

Wow. Big statement. You might be right too. He's definitely 1 of the best things ever & the best thing in a long time. I think there's no doubt he very well could & will prove to be the single best & most important thing(person)in IUFB history if we continue this trajectory for another couple years or more. What he's done mentally & emotionally--LEO, in other words & getting the entire program to buy in, is already the single most impressive acheivement in IUFB history, I would comfortably say, already, & nationally even, it's very impressive. That is VERY hard to do at a place like this. Hep was on a similar path, but I think LEO & CTA are even more powerful(may Hep rest in peace, & no slight to him whatsoever. We all know cancer robbed IUFB of a beautiful run about 15 years ago). Also Walt, maybe the best the IU has done in IUFB history is paying CTA & locking him in for a decade. In a great off season for IU fans across multiple sports--that remains the best news, for me.

Agree Walt. Got a few years to go before he needs to be mentioned with national championship coaches. I do agree that a Rose would be sweet but no way it equals 8 national championships in soccer in my opinion. We have 24 national championships I believe. Soccer is 30%. I think the Rose is like the college world series for baseball. Great to get there but winning it all is priceless. PS I want the football playoffs more than Rose. how about you board members? Go Hoosiers!

PS I want the football playoffs more than Rose. how about you board members?
I want both. I want an eight team playoff, starting with the four original traditional NYD bowls: Rose, Cotton, Sugar, and Orange, and I want the original tie-ins as well. They can play the semis and final wherever, I don't care.

Rose over playoff, and I honestly don't even care much if we win it. To me, especially with opt-outs, reaching the bowl in the first place is a bigger accomplishment.

Rose over playoff, and I honestly don't even care much if we win it. To me, especially with opt-outs, reaching the bowl in the first place is a bigger accomplishment.
It's funny that we think that way but from our perch here today, I would agree with this. I also know that if we did end up making it to the game, our tune would quickly change, especially if we lost....... but its been brutal for far too long. Let's be honest, we had our best season that resulted in a Gator Bowl loss and everyone got raises.

Many people felt like Indiana got left out of the playoffs last year. I was ok with the situation because let's face it, we lost in Columbus. If I had to choose, I'll take going to the playoffs over going to the Rose Bowl and it not being a playoff tie-in.

Look at the big picture; if Indiana won a championship, it certainly brings a bigger boost than winning the Rose Bowl.

CTA is off the a great start and has a high potential.

That said, he is currently a long way from:

RMK
Billingsley
Counsilman
Smith
Bell
and even Mallory.

IU has been blessed with amazing coaches over the years.

I want both. I want an eight team playoff, starting with the four original traditional NYD bowls: Rose, Cotton, Sugar, and Orange, and I want the original tie-ins as well. They can play the semis and final wherever, I don't care.
IMO there is not a need for eight teams in order to identify the best two teams but I would enjoy this format.

IMO there is not a need for eight teams in order to identify the best two teams but I would enjoy this format.
Do you think there's a need for 64 basketball teams in the NCAA tournament to identify the best team? We both know it's a big money grab...I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, just think it's an interesting question.

You would have to examine the lowest seed to ever win a championship in bball. It's probably a 7 seed??

I do think football probably needs to expand the number of teams involved. Certainly not a huge number like bball, but a small expansion seems reasonable.

I do think football probably needs to expand the number of teams involved. Certainly not a huge number like bball, but a small expansion seems reasonable.

It combines and reinforces the tradition of the old time bowls with today's need for a season ending playoff. Lock in the P5 champions to their respective bowls:

Rose: B1G/Pac
Cotton: Big12
Sugar: SEC
Orange: ACC

Three spots is plenty of room for ND and at large.

Play one on NYE (I'm thinking Orange, live from Miami on NYE would be rockin'), then start at noon EST and play all NYD.

Semis and Final can rotate around. No need to even bother with calling those games "bowls" -- they're playoffs. Put them in the monster stadiums and domes and promote them like the NFL playoffs and Super Bowl.

Do this and it makes the question about Rose or playoffs moot. If you're in one of the four traditional bowls, you're in the playoffs. Old farts like me get our nostalgia and the young punks get their national championship playoff. This has been such an obviously perfect scheme for so long I don't understand why it hasn't been implemented.

Do you think there's a need for 64 basketball teams in the NCAA tournament to identify the best team? We both know it's a big money grab...I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, just think it's an interesting question.

You would have to examine the lowest seed to ever win a championship in bball. It's probably a 7 seed??

No, you are right. My point is aimed at the fans who say this team or that team was "left out" and we need more teams included. The fact of the matter is that four is usually one more than enough to determine the rightful champ.

Tournaments are what tournaments are. And they are NOT to determine the "best team."

The best way to find the best team in any sport is a multi-game playoff, but that's not practical for football like it is for baseball/basketball/hockey.

A 4-team CFP is the probably all that's need to find the "best team" since there are rarely more than a 3 or 4 that can legit lay claim to being the "best."

An 8 or 12 team playoff would certainly be more exciting. Because top 10 teams get beat every year from teams that have no business doing so (PU beating the brakes off of OSU a couple years ago comes to mind). But again, it's about having an exciting tournament and not finding the "best" team.

Personally, I'm going to be the griping old man (much older than my 38 years) and just wish for the old days of a limited number of bowl games (maybe 20) so that everyone and their brother doesn't get into the post-season. Which, IMO, that is where the bowl system ended up failing by diluting the product so much that the games were meaningless aside from daily TV product to have on for the last two weeks of December & first week of January.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
128 team playoff where you just do overtime and you go through 2 rounds per weekend.

While we're exploring the topic. There tends to be about 1 team outside of the top 16 teams (seeds 1-4) in the Final Four every year. Of course, with a tournament that big, there are more chances for upsets. And even though it seems that a 1, 2, or 3 seed wins most years, a #1 seed doesn't correlate with the top seed in the tournament. So what we're really seeing is that most of the time March Madness is won by teams 1-4, lower ranked teams do sneak into the mix.

Reactions: TominDallas
It combines and reinforces the tradition of the old time bowls with today's need for a season ending playoff. Lock in the P5 champions to their respective bowls:

Rose: B1G/Pac
Cotton: Big12
Sugar: SEC
Orange: ACC

Three spots is plenty of room for ND and at large.

Play one on NYE (I'm thinking Orange, live from Miami on NYE would be rockin'), then start at noon EST and play all NYD.

Semis and Final can rotate around. No need to even bother with calling those games "bowls" -- they're playoffs. Put them in the monster stadiums and domes and promote them like the NFL playoffs and Super Bowl.

Do this and it makes the question about Rose or playoffs moot. If you're in one of the four traditional bowls, you're in the playoffs. Old farts like me get our nostalgia and the young punks get their national championship playoff. This has been such an obviously perfect scheme for so long I don't understand why it hasn't been implemented.
Couldn't agree more on this. However, the Cotton Bowl was never a tie-in for the Big12 champion. It was for the SWC champion which no longer exists. The Big12 when it used to be the Big8, had its' champion headed to the Orange Bowl. I could be mistaken, but the Big12 now sends their winner to the Sugar Bowl.

Reactions: UncleMark
Couldn't agree more on this. However, the Cotton Bowl was never a tie-in for the Big12 champion. It was for the SWC champion which no longer exists. The Big12 when it used to be the Big8, had its' champion headed to the Orange Bowl. I could be mistaken, but the Big12 now sends their winner to the Sugar Bowl.
I was aware of the SWC tie in. Didn't recall the tie in with the Orange the Big8 had. Thought that geography would make sense for the B12 and Cotton, and for the ACC in the Orange. That left the Sugar for the SEC, which is geograpically sound as well.

Regardless, I think we need to do something that harkens back to the traditional days when the best 8 teams played in the big four New Years bowls. There's no reason they couldn't be turned into the quarter-finals for the playoffs.

St. Louis U won 10 it’s pretty hard to do.
Yes, this is true. St. L U also won all of theirs before soccer was a common national sport. Before powerhouses like IU, San Francisco and Virginia were at the national level. No one matches IU’s tourney record since that time, in appearances, wins, college cups, title game appearances, etc. Very hard to do.

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT