ADVERTISEMENT

IU is a 2-seed in the Austin TX regional..

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
We will play 3-seed Texas A&M. Tough regional, but aren't they all.

Reactions: ulrey
We will play 3-seed Texas A&M. Tough regional, but aren't they all.
Seems like a relatively good draw. We play like we are capable, we can win it. We play like we've been playing, we'll head home early. Time to go fellas.

Seems like a relatively good draw. We play like we are capable, we can win it. We play like we've been playing, we'll head home early. Time to go fellas.
We need to treat this as the start of a new season, and put the disappointing play at the end of the season behind us. However, that's easier said than done. We certainly have the ability to win a regional, but the question is "which team will show up?"

Reactions: mk23
The B1G landed four teams in the tournament which is what I expected. Minnesota, which is hosting a regional, is a 1-seed, IU and Purdue are 2-seeds, and O$U is a 3-seed. I didn't expect Mich. to make it and they didn't. A soft league schedule, along with a very poor start to the season, did them in. Illinois must have been in the first five out.

The B1G landed four teams in the tournament which is what I expected. Minnesota, which is hosting a regional, is a 1-seed, IU and Purdue are 2-seeds, and O$U is a 3-seed. I didn't expect Mich. to make it and they didn't. A soft league schedule, along with a very poor start to the season, did them in. Illinois must have been in the first five out.

Illinois likely makes it if they had beaten Purdue twice to make the championship game against Minny.

Illinois likely makes it if they had beaten Purdue twice to make the championship game against Minny.
Who knows, maybe just winning one of those games rather than both would have done the job. That's something we will never know.

Last edited:
Sort of surprised Kentucky didn't make it.
They can't be happy about it. They finished with a 13-17 SEC record and lost an opening elimination game to start the conference tournament, but they had a RPI of 30, which is just one notch behind us, and had a SOS of 22. They certainly have an argument about being snubbed, but I will sleep better tonight knowing they aren't in it.

They can't be happy about it. They finished with a 13-17 SEC record and lost an opening elimination game to start the conference tournament, but they had a RPI of 30, which is just one notch behind us, and had a SOS of 22. They certainly have an argument about being snubbed, but I will sleep better tonight knowing they aren't in it.
Just to add to it, here are comments from the committee chairman with a small comment about our opponent in Texas A&M:

"I think anyone who follows college baseball recognizes that Kentucky has a great club," committee chairman Ray Tanner explained during the NCAA Tournament Selection Show on ESPNU on Monday. "But there are some metrics that we look at in the selection room, and one of them is sub-.500 against conference competition, and there's only one team in the field that is sub-.500 against conference competition. It was a glaring weakness against Kentucky. They were tied for the 10th seed going into the SEC Tournament, four games under .500. Unfortunately, they lost their opener, made them five games under. They have a tremendous team, but that is a trend that we're looking at."

The one team with a sub-.500 record to make the field was Texas A&M (39-20), which matched Kentucky's 13-17 conference mark. The Aggies won three games in the SEC Tournament before falling in the semifinals to eventual champion Ole Miss.

Reactions: Townsend
Just to add to it, here are comments from the committee chairman with a small comment about our opponent in Texas A&M:

"I think anyone who follows college baseball recognizes that Kentucky has a great club," committee chairman Ray Tanner explained during the NCAA Tournament Selection Show on ESPNU on Monday. "But there are some metrics that we look at in the selection room, and one of them is sub-.500 against conference competition, and there's only one team in the field that is sub-.500 against conference competition. It was a glaring weakness against Kentucky. They were tied for the 10th seed going into the SEC Tournament, four games under .500. Unfortunately, they lost their opener, made them five games under. They have a tremendous team, but that is a trend that we're looking at."

The one team with a sub-.500 record to make the field was Texas A&M (39-20), which matched Kentucky's 13-17 conference mark. The Aggies won three games in the SEC Tournament before falling in the semifinals to eventual champion Ole Miss.
The fact both UK and Ill beat us recently makes their exclusion semi-sweet. Just seems odd we are a 2 and they were left out entirely. Guess that early season roll was more important than our late season struggle.

The fact both UK and Ill beat us recently makes their exclusion semi-sweet. Just seems odd we are a 2 and they were left out entirely. Guess that early season roll was more important than our late season struggle.
It just goes to show that a school's early season schedule can carry an awful lot of weight at the end of a season.

interesting that A&M has the highest RPI of everyone in our regional - even #1 seed Texas. We got a good draw in getting Texas as the #1 seed but no doubt we are up against the best #3 seed in the tourney.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT