ADVERTISEMENT

IU FPI now 5th in BIG,

19th Overall, IU is now ‘favored’ in all remaining games not played at O$U. Projected record now 9-3

https://www.espn.com/college-football/fpi/_/group/5

Leads all of the BiG in total efficiency.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/fpi/_/view/efficiencies/group/5

I'm as excited as anyone as to our hot start overall and our most recent W (to the point that I've begun stalking crows and looking up crow recipes) but unlike in years past I think I need to at least attempt to be the voice of reason on here (apologies to all in advance)...

While last night was definitely a Win worthy of celebration given the circumstances of the long distance travel, historic venue, and the importance of the game to both Teams..., and our overcoming the best efforts of the Big Ten Refs..., the reality may well be that UCLA, while clearly having talent on both sides of the ball and within their staff...., just isn't a very good team yet... Case in point, Sam Houston State waxed Hawaii (the team UCLA barely beat in their opener) yesterday...

Now our guys have won against the teams scheduled and that's all that can be asked of them but the real key to our entire season may lie hidden within how they deal with this Win and approach the next two games on the schedule: Charlotte and Maryland...

Charlotte is dangerous only because we should beat them handily but a lack of attention to detail could allow them to throw a wrench in things and Maryland because they may actually be the first Real Big Ten Team we will encounter this season who might give us a serious test...

If we Win both those games, while looking better in each outing, then I'm jumping on the bandwagon instead of just jogging alongside...

I'll also begin hunting crow in earnest (to be served immediately following our Homecoming Win against Nebraska...😉😎)...

Sample size is still small and yea UCLA is bad. It does seem like what we did was just quality football that should work against better teams.

I know it’s just words but I liked this Cig postgame quote: “Am I surprised? No. It's a good win, it will get a lot of people's attention, and now we have to learn how to deal with success, which is a lot better than learning how to deal with failure."

Gives me optimism we don’t let up for Charlotte.

Long way to go this year but great start.

Sample size is still small and yea UCLA is bad. It does seem like what we did was just quality football that should work against better teams.

I know it’s just words but I liked this Cig postgame quote: “Am I surprised? No. It's a good win, it will get a lot of people's attention, and now we have to learn how to deal with success, which is a lot better than learning how to deal with failure."

Gives me optimism we don’t let up for Charlotte.

Long way to go this year but great start.
The part of that quote of Cig's I liked best was "Nobody in that locker room is surprised." ,
:cool:

My focus is no longer so much on who the opponent is for IU moving forward. I see a football team that is continually building on discipline, execution, and working the system they have been taught by this outstanding coaching staff. The IU machine is working; it is well oiled and running more smoothly each game. The opponent is just another team on the schedule IF the team continues to execute THE SYSTEM the wins will come. I certainly have never claimed to know much about the x's and o's of football but I'm 64 and I've seen a lot of bad IU football . . . this is certainly not that and as an IU alum/fan I couldn't be happier. Last night was a blast and I want more of this IU football fix. GO HOOSIERS !!!

I'm as excited as anyone as to our hot start overall and our most recent W (to the point that I've begun stalking crows and looking up crow recipes) but unlike in years past I think I need to at least attempt to be the voice of reason on here (apologies to all in advance)...

While last night was definitely a Win worthy of celebration given the circumstances of the long distance travel, historic venue, and the importance of the game to both Teams..., and our overcoming the best efforts of the Big Ten Refs..., the reality may well be that UCLA, while clearly having talent on both sides of the ball and within their staff...., just isn't a very good team yet... Case in point, Sam Houston State waxed Hawaii (the team UCLA barely beat in their opener) yesterday...

Now our guys have won against the teams scheduled and that's all that can be asked of them but the real key to our entire season may lie hidden within how they deal with this Win and approach the next two games on the schedule: Charlotte and Maryland...

Charlotte is dangerous only because we should beat them handily but a lack of attention to detail could allow them to throw a wrench in things and Maryland because they may actually be the first Real Big Ten Team we will encounter this season who might give us a serious test...

If we Win both those games, while looking better in each outing, then I'm jumping on the bandwagon instead of just jogging alongside...

I'll also begin hunting crow in earnest (to be served immediately following our Homecoming Win against Nebraska...😉😎)...
Crow aren’t hard to find here. IU can only play the games on the schedule. Getting an extra tuneup game before facing UCLA was to IUs advantage. CCC and staff clearly out coached Foster and Bienemy — since April — the foundation for the win in the Rose Bowl started then. Yes, IU could lose focus and fail to cover a large double digit 49er spread — CCC didn’t let that happen v. WIU. MD struggled early with VA. NE hasn’t been as consistent as IU so far. 6-0 is more likely than not.

One guy on ESPN site predicts us in the playoffs.

Bill Connelly: 1. Texas. 2. Ohio State. 3. Miami. 4. Oklahoma State. 5. Tennessee. 6. Georgia. 7. Alabama. 8. Penn State. 9. Ole Miss. 10. Missouri. 11. Indiana. 12. Memphis.

Last edited:
And he wiffed on the tackle that turned a certain sack into a near TD, then compounded his error by jumping the wrong gap at the goal line allowing a walk in Touchdown...

I'll wait until he plays a complete game against a couple of good Big Ten teams before I'm convinced about him...
Just admit that you were wrong about our linebackers.

Just admit that you were wrong about our linebackers.

Right after we beat Nebraska to go 7-0...

I am impressed by Walker..., and clearly Fischer has shown leadership skills... The jury is still out on whether he can play well consistently against good Big Ten Teams...

I'll happily admit I was wrong after he proves something against two or three decent football teams and I'm hoping against hope that he does prove me utterly and completely wrong...., (I've already identified a crow recipe that seems semi-palatable)....

• Haha
Reactions: red hornet
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT