ADVERTISEMENT

IU finished the game today

And let it be said one more time for emphasis...some of those Ramsey long passes were things of beauty, hitting the receiver in stride. Had it not been for a series of flat drops, his numbers would have been even better. Why Debord held him back all season long, I don't know except to repeat what Coach Allen said a couple of times that protecting the ball was priority #1 for the offense. They seemed convinced that dink and dunk could get it done...and at time it did. But other times you have to let it fly...not often, just enough, and today they did.

Let it also be said that Allen's #1 defensive concern, Take aways, are the Defenses middle name. Leads the B10 and they won the game today. Without them, we lose. Attacking the ball has worked.

But the defense as a whole is feast or famine, much like the old days. Some shoddy tackling at times cost us, special teams is like watching the Keystone cops, except for our FG kicker...great kick for him today, least we forget.

In the end the D did just enough and the O did too. Its a win and it feels good. For those too jaded to enjoy it, too bad. Must be a sad place where a victory causes them disappointment.

On to Michigan...

Not the “signature” win yet, but a B10 win is never to be unappreciated! Now let’s go win the Bucket!
That was a team on the cusp of bowl eligibility...not small thing at all....I'm proud of them...proved me wrong and I love it...

Reactions: 76-1
Great point. MD needed 1 win for bowl eligibility and it was IU, OSU, PSU left. Which game did they think was winnable? Not to be overlooked for sure.

Look at the egg PU laid at MN, much worse than IUs, who should have won.

B10 is hard to win and season gets long. IUs late season bye may prove more needed than realized.

Needed...definitely....but we could find out it becomes strategic, if even if by accident. Something to note...I still think a bye after 4 games seems optimal...but I don't play the game soooo...what do I know...vbg

And let it be said one more time for emphasis...some of those Ramsey long passes were things of beauty, hitting the receiver in stride. Had it not been for a series of flat drops, his numbers would have been even better. Why Debord held him back all season long, I don't know except to repeat what Coach Allen said a couple of times that protecting the ball was priority #1 for the offense. They seemed convinced that dink and dunk could get it done...and at time it did. But other times you have to let it fly...not often, just enough, and today they did.

Let it also be said that Allen's #1 defensive concern, Take aways, are the Defenses middle name. Leads the B10 and they won the game today. Without them, we lose. Attacking the ball has worked.

But the defense as a whole is feast or famine, much like the old days. Some shoddy tackling at times cost us, special teams is like watching the Keystone cops, except for our FG kicker...great kick for him today, least we forget.

In the end the D did just enough and the O did too. Its a win and it feels good. For those too jaded to enjoy it, too bad. Must be a sad place where a victory causes them disappointment.

On to Michigan...

PR appears to have worked hard on his downfield skills and capabilities. I said many times that his biggest weakness was limited deep threat capabilities but he has demonstrated improvement in two consecutive games.

PR appears to have worked hard on his downfield skills and capabilities. I said many times that his biggest weakness was limited deep threat capabilities but he has demonstrated improvement in two consecutive games.

My "guess" is this is that his obvious improvement clearly shows why it's best to have one clear cut starter getting most of the first team practice snaps...

During the summer workouts and Fall Camp we had 3 QB's sharing snaps and until recently we had 2 guys sharing practice snaps (not 50/50 but having your starter give up any of his first team snaps is never a good thing). It's all about reps...

Think about it: Ramsey shared most of the 1st team practice snaps with Lagow last year and until the last two games he was sharing at least some of those critical practice snaps with Penix. He finally has had a couple of weeks where he's getting the number of first team starters share of snaps that a clear cut starter would get elsewhere and guess what..., the deep passing game suddenly begins to click...

My "guess" is this is that his obvious improvement clearly shows why it's best to have one clear cut starter getting most of the first team practice snaps...

During the summer workouts and Fall Camp we had 3 QB's sharing snaps and until recently we had 2 guys sharing practice snaps (not 50/50 but having your starter give up any of his first team snaps is never a good thing). It's all about reps...

Think about it: Ramsey shared most of the 1st team practice snaps with Lagow last year and until the last two games he was sharing at least some of those critical practice snaps with Penix. He finally has had a couple of weeks where he's getting the number of first team starters share of snaps that a clear cut starter would get elsewhere and guess what..., the deep passing game suddenly begins to click...

I don't think that has anything to do with it. I think it's because they started taking more shots downfield as many of us advocated (and Allen, apparently)....and because Minnesota & Maryland did not have the pass rush or DBs that OSU, MSU & PSU had and, perhaps, because OL has grown a little. We'll see about the last factor this Saturday.

That was a team on the cusp of bowl eligibility...not small thing at all....I'm proud of them...proved me wrong and I love it...

The biggest thing they did was not give up. They were being dominated early. The other biggest factor was only 1 TO and their 4 TOs.

With a win, everything bad is forgotten. This is a game we've lost many times before. They out gained us 170 yds and averaged 6 yards per carry. They lost their 1st QB and TB (the TB is damn good, the QB not so much). When we went up 16, we gave up a long KO return. and a score 2 plays later. MD scored 18 straight points against us. When we had a chance to salt the game away, we ran 3 straight times, the last being a 3rd & 6 when we ran 'the receiving TB" into the middle of the line. Finally, one of the TOs, the int, literally fell into the lap of our DB, who had been beaten by 12 yds or so on the play. Frankly, most of the game was another 'screamer' for this fan.

Point is......if Justus doesn't make that FG we lose, and all of the above takes center stage, rather than being swept under the rug, so maybe Justus deserves player of the year if this thing turns around.

The biggest thing they did was not give up. They were being dominated early. The other biggest factor was only 1 TO and their 4 TOs.

With a win, everything bad is forgotten. This is a game we've lost many times before. They out gained us 170 yds and averaged 6 yards per carry. They lost their 1st QB and TB (the TB is damn good, the QB not so much). When we went up 16, we gave up a long KO return. and a score 2 plays later. MD scored 18 straight points against us. When we had a chance to salt the game away, we ran 3 straight times, the last being a 3rd & 6 when we ran 'the receiving TB" into the middle of the line. Finally, one of the TOs, the int, literally fell into the lap of our DB, who had been beaten by 12 yds or so on the play. Frankly, most of the game was another 'screamer' for this fan.

Point is......if Justus doesn't make that FG we lose, and all of the above takes center stage, rather than being swept under the rug, so maybe Justus deserves player of the year if this thing turns around.
All of what you say is true, but there is also a flip side. We handed them a TD with a horrible personal foul penalty. We had a couple of drive-killing drops. We stuffed four red zone drives that forced field goal attempts. We rose up and blew up a 2-point conversion after they had run the ball down our throats most of the game. The last fumble that sealed the game was a strip sack.

Maryland made plenty of mistakes and we got some breaks. But we also made some critical plays. My attitude is that most of those kinds of things that we remember as game-changing even out for both sides

Reactions: ESalum86

I think Hill going down kept Maryland in the game. His passing was atrocious, and Maryland/Canada had stuck with him all season despite similarly bad performances. I think we had started to figure out how to defend Maryland (didn't need to respect the pass), and had he not been injured, I think IU would have held Maryland to 15-20 pts, and the game would not have been in doubt in the 4th quarter. The QB change got IU off balance, and didn't know what to expect since Pigrome had only thrown 30 total passes the last 2 seasons.

Reactions: Hoosiers Rising
ADVERTISEMENT