ADVERTISEMENT

IU faces Iowa to open the B1G tournament...

Michigan lost to Ohio State too. Tough going for the top seeds so far. Go IU

Dropped pop up costs another run. We're screwed.

Honestly, I can't remember this team coming up big against any decent/good teams in a clutch situation...save for maybe the Michigan series.

When it's a "Regional influenceing" game...we fall flat.

Looks like the Gophers Thursday at 2. They’re gonna burn a few arms tonight as the starter didn’t make it out of the 3rd.

I am thrilled with the regular season championship and understand our kind of ball can win, but dang I like the gritty, fight-like-hell offensive approach Nebraska employs.

This ump is HORRIBLE. He has rung us up on so many off the plate. Which is fine if you do it both ways, but just called ball four against Milto on a borderline pitch. We need to use technology, get rid of these guys.

The guy screwed us pretty good for the first 6 innings or so.....called 3rd strikes on 3-4 that were off the plate.....basically unhitable pitches. What was discouraging was that Milto could not locate anything like the Iowa pitcher did. Over the last 1/2 of this season he has just not pitched like a #1 on a BTC team.

What's odd about it is when you look at his stats this year v. last they don't really add up:

'18--2.03 era; 79.2 innings; 66 hits; 66 Ks; 24 BBs; ,228 BA against
'19--3.51 era; 95 innings; 89 hits; 94 Ks; 16 BBs; .246 BA against

Based on those #s, it's hard to see how he has an era almost 1.50 per game above last year.....what seems to be to be happening is that he can't get the key outs...that is, he's giving up big hits with runners on base.......One other thing I noticed....in 14 appearances he's pitched 16 more innings than last year. There certainly have been times this year when I thought JM left hin in for 1 inning/1-3 batters too many, including last night.

Don’t like strike zone.

Have you seen very many games in person? If so, what do you generally think about BT umpiring?

Here's my take......the home plate ump last night was a pos, no doubt. The Iowa guy took advantage more than Milto did, imo.

Overall, until last night, I thought home plate umpiring had been average to above-average. Where the umpiring has been atrocious has been on the bases.....in the 8-10 games I saw at BK Field, there had to be 5-6 absolutely laugh out loud missed calls.....for & against us.

It's a non-revenue generating sport....I wonder if the BT is getting what it's paying for.....my feeling is that BT umpiring is not any better than above-average HS umpiring in the ISHAA overall.

Looks like the Gophers Thursday at 2. They’re gonna burn a few arms tonight as the starter didn’t make it out of the 3rd.

I am thrilled with the regular season championship and understand our kind of ball can win, but dang I like the gritty, fight-like-hell offensive approach Nebraska employs.

I just think that we very rarely do any situational hitting......the only time I saw it last night was Cole Barr in the last inning......I'd sure like to see more ABs like that in close games & by 1st batters in innings.

We led the NCAA in HRs, but were only 38th (or so) in scoring per game. UL had something like 50 fewer HRs than us but scored 50 more runs. So what we're doing works....kinda.

I don't know whether it's lack of 'grit' v. just having a different mindset. It certainly works very well against average pitchers....we led the BT in runs scored by a good margin. But our record in close games is not good for a team with our overall talent level. When we let that starter get to the 8th inning, to be followed by their ace closer.....that's how you lose to a weak-ass team like Iowa.

The BTC was awesome....but I don't think 36-20 overall against the schedule we have played, with the talent we have, is that great

Reactions: mk23
Crap. Just saw where Minnesota saved their ace for today. Max Meyer (who resembles Howdy Doody according to my GF) is going today and made us look pretty bad a few Friday nights ago in Bloomington (12 Ks, 0 Walks, in a 7-3 loss). Guess we'll see if we learned anything.

Crap. Just saw where Minnesota saved their ace for today. Max Meyer (who resembles Howdy Doody according to my GF) is going today and made us look pretty bad a few Friday nights ago in Bloomington (12 Ks, 0 Walks, in a 7-3 loss). Guess we'll see if we learned anything.

http://www.fox9.com/sports/gophers-baseball-enters-big-ten-tournament-fighting-for-their-lives-

No bad luck there. Meyer is injured as is there Saturday guy Thoreson. We should get Culliver their Sunday guy who we did well against.

Have you seen very many games in person? If so, what do you generally think about BT umpiring?

Here's my take......the home plate ump last night was a pos, no doubt. The Iowa guy took advantage more than Milto did, imo.

Overall, until last night, I thought home plate umpiring had been average to above-average. Where the umpiring has been atrocious has been on the bases.....in the 8-10 games I saw at BK Field, there had to be 5-6 absolutely laugh out loud missed calls.....for & against us.

It's a non-revenue generating sport....I wonder if the BT is getting what it's paying for.....my feeling is that BT umpiring is not any better than above-average HS umpiring in the ISHAA overall.
Shroom: Not at the bart. One of my sons is a High School pitcher in Alabama. Team went to 7A semi's this year and lost to eventual state champs. I live at the baseball diamond and I have a vested interest in strike zones. Huge Grin! I thought last night's plate ump was giving too much low and outside to right handers low inside to leftys. He was consistent for both teams until about the 4th inning. He had a very pitcher friendly zone that was way off the plate. He got worse as the game continued. You could see our batters watch punchouts where they clearly thought the ball was outside, which it was. Way out like 6 plus inches. Not close. I'd say the high school umps in Alabama are more consistent with clearer strike zones. Better than what I saw last night. High school umpires have to good in alabama or they won't make it home safely. Too many rednecks. Massive grin! Last night was more like travel ball umpires in the south. Go Hoosiers!

Shroom: Not at the bart. One of my sons is a High School pitcher in Alabama. Team went to 7A semi's this year and lost to eventual state champs. I live at the baseball diamond and I have a vested interest in strike zones. Huge Grin! I thought last night's plate ump was giving too much low and outside to right handers low inside to leftys. He was consistent for both teams until about the 4th inning. He had a very pitcher friendly zone that was way off the plate. He got worse as the game continued. You could see our batters watch punchouts where they clearly thought the ball was outside, which it was. Way out like 6 plus inches. Not close. I'd say the high school umps in Alabama are more consistent with clearer strike zones. Better than what I saw last night. High school umpires have to good in alabama or they won't make it home safely. Too many rednecks. Massive grin! Last night was more like travel ball umpires in the south. Go Hoosiers!
I swear half of those strikes were closer to 12 inches inside or outside. Game was over in less than 3 hours. That almost never happens when an ump calls real strikes. 4 hour games aren't out of the question.

Reactions: mobilehoosier
I swear half of those strikes were closer to 12 inches inside or outside. Game was over in less than 3 hours. That almost never happens when an ump calls real strikes. 4 hour games aren't out of the question.

It reminded me of HS & college fast pitch umpiring........in the vicinity is good enough. Unfortunately for us that guy was smart and on his game and took full advantage.

This is how it was yesterday as well. Come to think of it, it's pretty much like this whenever I watch them.

0-2 double with 1 out and a runner on 3rd? wtf? Looks like i picked the wrong week to give up drinking!

Last edited:
0-2 double with 1 out and a runner on 3rd? wtf? Looks like i picked the wrong week to give up drinking!
Watching them, it's hard not to drink. Ashley almost with yet another error. I'm about to get a 6 pack and bring it back to my office!

Dropped pop up costs another run. We're screwed.

Honestly, I can't remember this team coming up big against any decent/good teams in a clutch situation...save for maybe the Michigan series.

When it's a "Regional influenceing" game...we fall flat.

I'm listening, not watching......

The IU radio broadcaster is taking about Thoresen like he's a Bob Gipson clone.....

Looking at his stats, and he had a 5.86 era in 35.1 innings last year, and 7.86 in 26.1 innings this year........has he been hurt this year? What's the story?

I'm listening, not watching......

The IU radio broadcaster is taking about Thoresen like he's a Bob Gipson clone.....

Looking at his stats, and he had a 5.86 era in 35.1 innings last year, and 7.86 in 26.1 innings this year........has he been hurt this year? What's the story?
He had 11 K's against us when we faced them before. One thing about his numbers, though, opponent BA was .193. I found that odd considering how high is ERA is. Must give up a lot of extra base hits.

Fortunately for us, he is out of the game and a couple of bad defensive plays have put us ahead. I will take it!

Apparently, we have not mastered the shut down inning after taking the lead. Crap.

Hope we noticed what Minnesota just did. 1-2-3 after getting 3 and re-taking the lead.

Pretty clear IU needs to adjust the way we approach these freaking tournaments. Total fail. Year after year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT