ADVERTISEMENT

IU earns No. 2 seed in NCAA Lexington Regional

Say what you want, and I know he has his critics, but that is to Chris' credit.
I know some here love to be critical of Coach Lem, and baseball is game that can certainly incite critical responses, but the man can flat out coach. He doesn't have all the accolades as an assistant if he couldn't, and he's continuing to grow as a head coach. We all should be damn lucky, because one of these days a big time college baseball program will come calling, for that I have not doubt.

Reactions: jmbennett and RBB89
I know some here love to be critical of Coach Lem, and baseball is game that can certainly incite critical responses, but the man can flat out coach. He doesn't have all the accolades as an assistant if he couldn't, and he's continuing to grow as a head coach. We all should be damn lucky, because one of these days a big time college baseball program will come calling, for that I have not doubt.

And that might be the source of some of the criticism right there. We wanted to take the next step to become "a big time college baseball program" when we hired Coach. It hasn't happened fast enough for some, but I think it is happening. Still going to take time, and better results at keeping top Indiana talent home, but the first step is consistent tourney appearances. Just look at our history. As I said a few weeks ago when the tourney trip was in doubt, I think Coach needed at least two more years to establish his program. I'm anxious to see what we look like at that point. Will it be Louisville or Illinois?

Reactions: mazz
Is it just me, or is this something of a pleasant surprise? I am by no means an expert at all, or even an exceptionally knowledgeable amateur, but I really wasn't expecting this.

Indiana Selected to 2017 NCAA Baseball Tournament Field

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – For the seventh time in program history and the fourth time in five years, Indiana was selected to the 2017 NCAA Baseball Tournament field on Monday. The No. 2-seeded Hoosiers will play in the Lexington Regional, facing off with No. 3 North Carolina State on Friday at 7 p.m. ET.

This will be Indiana's seventh NCAA tournament appearance (1949, 1996, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017). Head coach Chris Lemonis is the first coach in program history to make two regionals in his first three seasons as IU's skipper.

The double-elimination competition begins on Friday afternoon at 12 p.m. ET when Kentucky faces Ohio University. Following Friday night's contest, Indiana will face either Kentucky or Ohio on Saturday at 12 p.m. or 7 p.m. Friday's contest will air on WatchESPN.

The Hoosiers finished the regular season just one game out of third place in the Big Ten and only two games out of first place in the conference. IU played 18 games this season against Big Ten teams that qualified for the conference tournament, more than any other team participating in the field.

Since the start of the 2008 season, Indiana leads the Big Ten in wins (343) and conference wins (147). The Hoosiers have made five NCAA Regionals over that span, the most out of any current Big Ten team.

Bracket within:
iuhoosiers.com/news/2017/5/29/indiana-selected-to-2017-ncaa-baseball-tournament-field.aspx

Go Hoosiers!

Is it just me, or is this something of a pleasant surprise? I am by no means an expert at all, or even an exceptionally knowledgeable amateur, but I really wasn't expecting this.

Getting in to the tourney and being placed in Lexington is not a surprise in the slightest. Getting a 2 seed and not a 3 was a huge surprise.

Hoosiers get No. 2 seed in Lexington, open vs. NC State
by Mike Miller

Indiana had reason to be confident.

But that didn’t make the Hoosiers’ wait any easier.

When they converged inside their Bart Kaufman Field clubhouse to watch the NCAA Tournament selection show on Monday afternoon, IU players were left to sit through more than half of the hour-long ESPN broadcast to await their postseason direction.

Even with a solid postseason resume, there are no sure things on selection day.

“There was a commercial break about halfway through and when that hit, I think you could hear everybody kind of take a deep breath,” second baseman Tony Butler said.

Indiana, it turned out, was in for a pleasant surprise.

The Hoosiers picked up a No. 2 seed in the Lexington Regional, where they’ll begin the NCAA Tournament against No. 3 North Carolina State on Friday at 7 p.m. The game will be televised on ESPN3.

The double-elimination regional begins when host Kentucky faces No. 4 Ohio on Friday at noon.

“We were surprised, honestly,” outfielder Craig Dedelow said. “We were pretty confident going into it that, hopefully, we’d make the tournament. It got late there and we got a little nervous. Seeing our name pop up as a No. 2 seed was pretty big for us.”

This is the fourth time in five seasons that Indiana (32-22-2) will play in the NCAA Tournament, after having fallen just shy of the bubble in 2016. In total, this is the program’s seventh NCAA Tournament appearance, and it comes during a nice year for the Big Ten, which tied a conference record with five teams — IU, Nebraska, Michigan, Maryland and conference tournament champion Iowa — in the field.

Consider that the Pac-12 only has four tournament teams this year. The Southeastern Conference led the nation with eight.

It was believed that Indiana was in line for a No. 3 seed after winning only one of its three games in the Big Ten Tournament.

The Hoosiers, however, were delighted to see that their resume and postseason positioning were stronger than they realized.

“It says a lot about our program, the players who’ve been here and the ones in the past,” said Chris Lemonis, who is the first coach in program history to make two regional appearances in his first three seasons leading the Hoosiers. “I’m excited for our league. We were going through and watching and seeing where our league was going. It validates a lot of the things we say all year long. The growth of the Big Ten just took another step forward.”

For Lemonis, keeping Indiana in lockstep with the recently-raised expectations for his program, one that should annually compete for Big Ten titles and NCAA Tournament appearances, is part scheduling science.

Lemonis has embraced a tough scheduling approach, including early-season trips to play the nation’s top teams in more agreeable climates and dotting the midweek portion with challenging regional opponents.

This season, Indiana played 17 games against tournament teams, winning nine of those contests and finishing one in a tie. Two of IU’s losses to tournament teams this season came to Oregon State, the No. 1 overall seed, in a season-opening showcase in Arizona.

Indiana, the highest-rated RPI team in the Big Ten at No. 26, is 8-7-1 against the RPI top 50 this season. So the Hoosiers feel they’re ready to handle the NCAA Tournament environment and the pressures that come with it.

“In my world, I look at my future schedules almost every day, just trying to figure it out,” Lemonis said. “You can’t always figure it out because it happens so far in advance, but it took a lot of time and effort to put our schedule together. Then you have to win during that schedule. I do think all those parameters, and just the atmosphere we get to play in every night with a great fan base, I think it prepares you for these types of games and environments.”

Indiana won its final six weekend series of the regular season before dropping two of three in the Big Ten Tournament this past weekend at Bart Kaufman Field.

NC State (34-23) also closed the regular season strong, winning 13 of its final 15 regular season games before losing to North Carolina in the second game of last week’s Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament.

The Wolfpack, making their third consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance and 15th in the past 20 seasons, went 9-11 against the RPI top 50 this season.

“I’ve known their head coach (Elliott Avent) for a long time,” Lemonis said. “I know, early in the season, they were ranked as one of the teams in the possible eight for (the College World Series in) Omaha. There’s talent there. I think they’re playing really well right now. That first game will be a huge test for us.”

http://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2017/05/hoosiers-get-no-2-seed-in-lexington-open-vs-nc-state/

Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: Townsend
I think most were expecting a 3 seed in either Louisville or Lexington, but there were a couple predictions for a 2 seed. I know Warren Nolan's site put us at a 2. SOS and RPI were big.

Reactions: jmbennett
I think most were expecting a 3 seed in either Louisville or Lexington, but there were a couple predictions for a 2 seed. I know Warren Nolan's site put us at a 2. SOS and RPI were big.
Perfect Game was a disgrace this year. They didn't have either IU or Maryland in the field. As Maxwell Smart would say: "missed it by that much."

Reactions: muubell and RBB89

And that might be the source of some of the criticism right there. We wanted to take the next step to become "a big time college baseball program" when we hired Coach. It hasn't happened fast enough for some, but I think it is happening. Still going to take time, and better results at keeping top Indiana talent home, but the first step is consistent tourney appearances. Just look at our history. As I said a few weeks ago when the tourney trip was in doubt, I think Coach needed at least two more years to establish his program. I'm anxious to see what we look like at that point. Will it be Louisville or Illinois?

Competing for championships first starts with consistently making the tournament. 2013 seasons don't come by often at Indiana, and you can't make that happen overnight. As far as keeping top talent home you are not going to sign every top kid in Indiana. The 2017 class sits at 13 kids, 12 of them are from Indiana. Lem recruited a lot of top Indiana kids while at UL, and his reputation in this state is impeccable.

Competing for championships first starts with consistently making the tournament. 2013 seasons don't come by often at Indiana, and you can't make that happen overnight. As far as keeping top talent home you are not going to sign every top kid in Indiana. The 2017 class sits at 13 kids, 12 of them are from Indiana. Lem recruited a lot of top Indiana kids while at UL, and his reputation in this state is impeccable.

I agree about 2013. It reminds of the Thunder and Lightning episode of SEC stories on the SEC Network. Not saying Schwarber and Travis will become Palmeiro and Clark, but there are similarities. Duos like that are rare on the same college team. If you haven't seen that episode detailing the careers of Rafael Palmeiro and Will Clark at Mississippi State it is worth your time. I do think we are beginning to show consistent tourney appearances, but it does seem to me we are losing quality arms each year to neighboring states. I hope we can improve on that.

I agree about 2013. It reminds of the Thunder and Lightning episode of SEC stories on the SEC Network. Not saying Schwarber and Travis will become Palmeiro and Clark, but there are similarities. Duos like that are rare on the same college team. If you haven't seen that episode detailing the careers of Rafael Palmeiro and Will Clark at Mississippi State it is worth your time. I do think we are beginning to show consistent tourney appearances, but it does seem to me we are losing quality arms each year to neighboring states. I hope we can improve on that.
You know, I see all this criticism of our pitching this year, and a very small part of that is warranted. People don't realize that replacing your entire weekend rotation (Hart, Barager, Bell) and your backend of the pen (Belcher, Kelzer) isn't something a coach really wants to do. Those guys had tons of experience.

When you look at kids like Stiever, Milto, Herrin, who have that little experience, you see they are developing and gaining that experience even more. Kids like Krueger, Beachamp, and Salfrank are young and don't have the experience, but the potential is certainly there to grow as we have seen. Maybe they are the next Coursen-Carr who only had one hot spring/summer of his entire career (2013, his freshman year) at IU. Who knows, but the bones are there, and they just need to get seasoned.

It's hard to project what will happen in the future, but the building blocks are there. And all of those kids, sans Stiever, are from Indiana. Big time arms in this state are gonna be hotly tested recruitments, the fact that getting signatures from some of those kids lately is a testament to Lem (Szynski, Litwicki). But there are some really good arms in this state, some committed, and some of them already play for Indiana.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT