ADVERTISEMENT

IU Crystal Ball.....

freshman, freshman and freshman, and only 1 is signed. A team that counts on freshman posts in the B10 is a team who's fans will often be disappointed. So you may need additional because guaranteed 1 or 2 won't be ready to play and I'm afraid that might be Duncomb.

Duncomb is committed, not signed.

Duncomb absolutely is being brought in to play his freshman year. He's one of the best rebounding bigs in his class. I'd be shocked if he didn't see the floor his freshman year.

And once again, I highly doubt we use all five scholarships, assuming TJD leaves, on freshman, so a grad transfer could be a real possibility depending on who is available.

Reactions: 76-1 and MrBing
It's what I think made WI so great for so long. They almost always had 3 bigs who could play and 1-2 freshman/soph being developed. Freshman bigs not ranked in the top 30 just aren't going to be able to be counted on much.

I mean, unless they're at one of power prep schools, they're probably playing against more 6'5" opponents than 6'9" in high school. And now they're seeing that every game with guys that are 2-3 years older. It's no surprise.
Bigs have more to learn than any other position and most of it is on the defensive end. The transition is longer so like you pointed out about wisc, it's always good to have that stable full. Unless that big man is pro ready or close (TJD, Kofi) and can rely on glaring athleticism or physical gifts to cover up their lack of experience, they have a huge learning curve to go through. Look at Purdue also, this latest run he's had and used the same dynamic.

Would have liked to have signed one this last cycle, even a project. We absolutely have to in the next. And I'm not talking about Miller or any other stretch four. We need another post player.

Last edited:
It's what I think made WI so great for so long. They almost always had 3 bigs who could play and 1-2 freshman/soph being developed. Freshman bigs not ranked in the top 30 just aren't going to be able to be counted on much.

I mean, unless they're at one of power prep schools, they're probably playing against more 6'5" opponents than 6'9" in high school. And now they're seeing that every game with guys that are 2-3 years older. It's no surprise.
both you and TMP hit the nail on head. Too many times, I've seen hot shot freshmen look like studs in Nov/Dec feasting on cupcakes at home, them pee the bed during their first B1G road game, and play like freshman the rest of the year.

Duncomb absolutely is being brought in to play his freshman year. He's one of the best rebounding bigs in his class. I'd be shocked if he didn't see the floor his freshman year.

And once again, I highly doubt we use all five scholarships, assuming TJD leaves, on freshman, so a grad transfer could be a real possibility depending on who is available.
Archie has passed on opportunities to get a grad transfer with open scholarships. Brunk is the only one he has signed.

Archie seems selective on who he brings in as a grad transfer. Brunk's relationship with TJD and already being familiar with the program could have made him attractive to Archie. I like that he doesn't rely on grad transfers to build his roster.

Archie has passed on opportunities to get a grad transfer with open scholarships. Brunk is the only one he has signed.

Archie seems selective on who he brings in as a grad transfer. Brunk's relationship with TJD and already being familiar with the program could have made him attractive to Archie. I like that he doesn't rely on grad transfers to build his roster.

Evan Fitzner as well. Still think bringing in a big transfer for 1 or 2 years wouldn't hurt. We could be looking at a 5 man class next year with 3 bigs so maybe that is just Archie's plan all along.

Evan Fitzner. That's two.

This is the first off season we haven't taken one with CAM. It's not like he isn't against it.

Bigs have more to learn than any other position and most of it is on the defensive end. The transition is longer so like you pointed out about wisc, it's always good to have that stable full. Unless that big man is pro ready or close (TJD, Kofi) and can rely on glaring athleticism or physical gifts to cover up their lack of experience, they have a huge learning curve to go through. Look at Purdue also, this latest run he's had and used the same dynamic.

Would have liked to have signed one this last cycle, even a project. We absolutely have to in the next. And I'm not talking about Miller or any other stretch four. We need another post player.

Yeah, while I like all the players, I think we had too many wings in this class... on top of Franklin last year too. Think we should have taken whoever they felt was the better fit of Galloway or Leal and added a frontcourt player as well. Back to that position of "if everyone stays healthy", which is not always reality.

Reactions: BigMobe

Yeah, yeah and Tim Priller and Clifton Moore had NBA potential before they got here... I agree at this point, Duncomb will have to play as a freshman. The question is, can he? We'll see. As I said, counting on freshman bigs often leads to disappointment, but that's where we are. Should've had one in this year's class, imo.

Last edited:
Yeah, yeah and Tim Priller and Clifton Moore had NBA potential before they got here... I agree at this point, Duncomb will have to play as a freshman. The question is, can he? We'll see. As I said, counting on freshman bigs often leads to disappointment, but that's where we are. Should've had one in this year's class, imo.

Please link where anyone, ANYONE, said Tim Priller had pro potential.

Please link where anyone, ANYONE, said Tim Priller had pro potential.

Crean said that...something like Priller's got NBA skills, potential...

here's an article I could find in which he compares him to Nick Fazekas and implies it, but I believe he did say it in an interview after Priller's signing and it was repeated on here. I doubt I'm the only one that remembers that.

https://www.insidethehall.com/2014/06/05/tom-crean-talks-jeremiah-april-tim-priller/

Crean said that...something like Priller's got NBA skills, potential...

here's an article I could find in which he compares him to Nick Fazekas and implies it, but I believe he did say it in an interview after Priller's signing and it was repeated on here. I doubt I'm the only one that remembers that.

https://www.insidethehall.com/2014/06/05/tom-crean-talks-jeremiah-april-tim-priller/
Crean couldn’t help himself. It’s the only thing he could say for damage control. He knew he was going to get skewered for taking another player like that. His recruiting had degraded so bad by then.

Is Crean sitting at home quietly praying that no games are played this year? Anyone know Georgia’s prospects?

Is Crean sitting at home quietly praying that no games are played this year? Anyone know Georgia’s prospects?

Not good I think. They do have a message board and when I went over there most wanted him fired. But they expect him to get at least 4 years due to his massive buyout. I know i know.

Last edited:
Reactions: travlinhoosier
Not good I think. They do have a message board and when I went over there most wanted him fired. But they expect him to get at least 4 years due to his massive buyout. I know i know.
He must have a kick a$$ agent to be getting these massive buyouts.

Reactions: Lucy01
Speaking of Race and grad transfers. Is anyone concerned h might leave as a grad transfer?

Some of the guys on the other site who are in the know aren't very high on him. It's also interesting that not a single blue blood has offered. How often does that happen with a top 10-15 guy? Just seems like while he's definitely good he's more James Blackmon good and not Romeo good but would be coming in with Romeo's one and done no matter what mindset. He might do more harm than good.

If you can get a 5 star to stay for 4 years. That is the biggest win you can possible get. So I am quite alright with that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT