ADVERTISEMENT

IU Crystal Ball.....

Projection just came in for Aminu Muhammed from a Maryland insider.

Let’s hope he is right!

Maryland has basically decided they no longer have room, after the commitment of Cornish. Jody Demling who runs the UL 247 site has made no secret of the fact that he feels Aminu is IU bound, and it's very true we are presently in a great position. Jody's prediction may be influencing the Maryland Insider here, but Rabby cautions that there is a long way to go in this recruitment and things could always change. Cautiously Optimistic is how I would describe the view of IU insiders, with a ways to go...

Maryland has basically decided they no longer have room, after the commitment of Cornish. Jody Demling who runs the UL 247 site has made no secret of the fact that he feels Aminu is IU bound, and it's very true we are presently in a great position. Jody's prediction may be influencing the Maryland Insider here, but Rabby cautions that there is a long way to go in this recruitment and things could always change. Cautiously Optimistic is how I would describe the view of IU insiders, with a ways to go...
If we could get feepaw's guarantee that Muhammed's not going to IU we could call it a lead-pipe cinch that he's signing with IU..

I'd much rather have Kaufmann or Miller. But this would still be a nice pickup.

Why can't we get Muhammad and either Kaufman or Miller?

Muhammad plays the wing, so why would he influence where Miller or Kaufman end up?

We absolutely can get both. I'm just saying even though Aminu is ranked higher he doesn't really fill a need.

We absolutely can get both. I'm just saying even though Aminu is ranked higher he doesn't really fill a need.

How does a kid that is a five star not fill a need, especially when we have four scholarships open next year?

We already have a center in the class, we're on the top line with Kaufmann and Miller (Not saying we're for sure getting them, but we're in as good position as anyone) and we're also in on some good guards.

We're not taking only two next class.

He’s better than any wing we have right now. Our backcourt would be elite. You win with guards in college. Getting all three is a very real possibility. What a class that would be.

Some of the guys on the other site who are in the know aren't very high on him. It's also interesting that not a single blue blood has offered. How often does that happen with a top 10-15 guy? Just seems like while he's definitely good he's more James Blackmon good and not Romeo good but would be coming in with Romeo's one and done no matter what mindset. He might do more harm than good.

Some of the guys on the other site who are in the know aren't very high on him. It's also interesting that not a single blue blood has offered. How often does that happen with a top 10-15 guy? Just seems like while he's definitely good he's more James Blackmon good and not Romeo good but would be coming in with Romeo's one and done no matter what mindset. He might do more harm than good.
Not sure I begin to understand your post. I know James couldn’t defend, but he was a helluva offensive player for us. I think I’d take a guy who could also get us 16/game over his career along with 5 boards a game, shooting 40%+ from three and 49% from two.

Not sure I begin to understand your post. I know James couldn’t defend, but he was a helluva offensive player for us. I think I’d take a guy who could also get us 16/game over his career along with 5 boards a game, shooting 40%+ from three and 49% from two.

It's really pretty simple to understand. James was a good player no doubt but was he good enough that you'd want him for only one season if he already had his bags packed before he even arrived on campus? Chemistry issues are always a concern and we'll already have Lander, RP, AF, Hunter, Leal, Galloway, and Geronimo. Aminu while good is not Eric Gordon or Romeo.

It's really pretty simple to understand. James was a good player no doubt but was he good enough that you'd want him for only one season if he already had his bags packed before he even arrived on campus? Chemistry issues are always a concern and we'll already have Lander, RP, AF, Hunter, Leal, Galloway, and Geronimo. Aminu while good is not Eric Gordon or Romeo.

?

Blackmon averaged nearly 16 a game and shot almost 40% from 3. You take that any day regardless if the player is on campus 6 months, 2 years or all 4.

Reactions: MG80
If CAM is building long-term for teams that are mature and experienced, then I agree with you that chemistry is an issue, and throwing in an obvious OAD like Muhammed seems to deviate from that philosophy.

Would rather see Franklin, Leal, Galloway and Geronimo continue to develop as players, and Lander if he stays, rather than give minutes to Muhammed just to pad his NBA resume.

I think we have addressed the scoring issue with this class. Not sold on our "need" for Muhammed, seems like a tweener, and I'm not sure at what position on the court he would benefit us most.

According to what I read on the front page, there are some good guards coming up in the 2022 class, guys who'll be more apt to stay for four years. That's where I'd be headed, but then again I'm only an armchair coach.

With all due respect: please STFU. So, you have Aminu pegged as JBJ, but not E Gordon or RL, a 1 and done for sure, and a potential chemistry issue, all before his senior yr of high school, let alone setting foot on a college campus? Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? He's obviously a very talented player, let's let him determine how good he'll be, whaddya say?

Reactions: JIMSHAM
With all due respect: please STFU. So, you have Aminu pegged as JBJ, but not E Gordon or RL, a 1 and done for sure, and a potential chemistry issue, all before his senior yr of high school, let alone setting foot on a college campus? Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? He's obviously a very talented player, let's let him determine how good he'll be, whaddya say?

Put the pipe down. Never said he would be a chemistry issue. There's a reason the blue bloods haven't offered. And how well did Vonleh and Romeo work out for us? And he's not as good as either of them. I'd take him if he wants to come but don't lose sleep if he goes elsewhere. We're fine at the guard and wing positions but if Race Thompson is our best post player we have serious issues.

And it was Archie who said grow old stay old. Not me.

If CAM is building long-term for teams that are mature and experienced, then I agree with you that chemistry is an issue, and throwing in an obvious OAD like Muhammed seems to deviate from that philosophy.

Would rather see Franklin, Leal, Galloway and Geronimo continue to develop as players, and Lander if he stays, rather than give minutes to Muhammed just to pad his NBA resume.

I think we have addressed the scoring issue with this class. Not sold on our "need" for Muhammed, seems like a tweener, and I'm not sure at what position on the court he would benefit us most.

According to what I read on the front page, there are some good guards coming up in the 2022 class, guys who'll be more apt to stay for four years. That's where I'd be headed, but then again I'm only an armchair coach.
You don’t turn away talent like him. If he can help you win games you take him.

Put the pipe down. Never said he would be a chemistry issue. There's a reason the blue bloods haven't offered. And how well did Vonleh and Romeo work out for us? And he's not as good as either of them. I'd take him if he wants to come but don't lose sleep if he goes elsewhere. We're fine at the guard and wing positions but if Race Thompson is our best post player we have serious issues.

Aminu would probably take some minutes in the 2 and 3 and would probably play over our current freshman guards/wings (Leal, Geronimo, Galloway) and maybe even Armaan. We would be small in the 5 area without TJD but our 1-4 would be dominant especially if we grab Kaufmann.

Reactions: bsmitty08

No, you've implied it multiple times throughout this thread.... "if he's not a chemistry issue"... "may do more harm than good". With your knowledge and forecasting abilities, how are you not on a coaching staff? You're not, right? There's a reason for that too! I'll trust our coaching staff until then.

Now, I do agree we need post players and have said all along I thought it odd to be taking AL, TG and JG and AF last year. But, you need talent to win and if this kid wants to come here, it sounds like our staff has determined we want him. Again, I'll trust them.

Reactions: brianiu
No, you've implied it multiple times throughout this thread.... "if he's not a chemistry issue"... "may do more harm than good". With your knowledge and forecasting abilities, how are you not on a coaching staff? You're not, right? There's a reason for that too! I'll trust our coaching staff until then.

Now, I do agree we need post players and have said all along I thought it odd to be taking AL, TG and JG and AF last year. But, you need talent to win and if this kid wants to come here, it sounds like our staff has determined we want him. Again, I'll trust them.

Well he has a bunch of handlers around him. Those usually aren't good. But we'll see.

My god people, we already have Duncomb committed and we're sitting pretty with both Kauffman and Miller. Why do people keep saying we need to keep adding size?

People do realize that Muhammad, although 6'4, has something like a 6'10 wingspan? The kid plays absolutely bigger than he is. He's a real talent and anyone saying that we would be better without him is absolutely insane.

My god people, we already have Duncomb committed and we're sitting pretty with both Kauffman and Miller. Why do people keep saying we need to keep adding size?

People do realize that Muhammad, although 6'4, has something like a 6'10 wingspan? The kid plays absolutely bigger than he is. He's a real talent and anyone saying that we would be better without him is absolutely insane.

Because Race Thompson will be our only returning post player most likely and he seems to be injured half the time. Duncomb while a good prospect will be a freshman who is barely in the top 100. Those guys usually provide very little as freshman. Get both Kaufman and Miller and we're probably fine down low but that's a huge if. Trey is seriously considering VA right now. You must not remember the Sean Kline, AJ Moye, Pat Ewing Jr days. They weren't pretty.

And yes we're probably better with Aminu. But he's far from a must get.

Reactions: ulrey
Kaufman....not so sure about that anymore. That last 'report' didn't give me the impression we are the 'silent commit' we've led ourselves to believe. Sounds like CAM still has some work to do. Who knows, maybe the kid is a good poker player.

Miller is an interesting one and all recent news, what little there has been, seems to be good for IU's sake.

Because Race Thompson will be our only returning post player most likely and he seems to be injured half the time. Duncomb while a good prospect will be a freshman who is barely in the top 100. Those guys usually provide very little as freshman. Get both Kaufman and Miller and we're probably fine down low but that's a huge if. Trey is seriously considering VA right now. You must not remember the Sean Kline, AJ Moye, Pat Ewing Jr days. They weren't pretty.

We now also live in the world of grad transfers, so it's not like we can't go out and get a experienced player there for the 2021 season.

I highly doubt we use all five (assuming TJD leaves) scholarships on freshman.

And nobody is saying Aminu is a must get, but when people say they would rather run with the freshman we have now and not get this kid, who is a top 15 talent, that is beyond dumb.

Reactions: brianiu

Kline was having a solid, much improved soph season before he blew his knee out. Was never the same again. Every team needs an AJ Moye. PE Jr wasn't a solid P5 talent and CMD never knew what to do with him. He had a decent last yr at Gtown his Sr year.

Yeah see my previous post....I wouldn't clear out locker space for Trey just yet.

Last edited:
Kline was having a solid, much improved soph season before he blew his knee out. Was never the same again. Every team needs an AJ Moye. PE Jr wasn't a solid P5 talent and CMD never new what to do with him. He had a decent last yr at Gtown his Sr year.

Yeah see my previous post....I wouldn't clear out locker space for Trey just yet.

We're in as good of a spot as anyone with both Miller and Kaufmann.

Will we get either? Who knows. But we've put ourselves in the best position we can.

freshman, freshman and freshman, and only 1 is signed. A team that counts on freshman posts in the B10 is a team who's fans will often be disappointed. So you may need additional because guaranteed 1 or 2 won't be ready to play and I'm afraid that might be Duncomb.

freshman, freshman and freshman, and only 1 is signed. A team that counts on freshman posts in the B10 is a team who's fans will often be disappointed. So you may need additional because guaranteed 1 or 2 won't be ready to play and I'm afraid that might be Duncomb.
Conference as a whole had less five stars and less pro prospects than UK last year as a team. Success in B1G is found in experience and coaching.

We needs some bigs or may end up gambling on transfers.

Conference as a whole had less five stars and less pro prospects than UK last year as a team. Success in B1G is found in experience and coaching.

We needs some bigs or may end up gambling on transfers.

It's what I think made WI so great for so long. They almost always had 3 bigs who could play and 1-2 freshman/soph being developed. Freshman bigs not ranked in the top 30 just aren't going to be able to be counted on much.

I mean, unless they're at one of power prep schools, they're probably playing against more 6'5" opponents than 6'9" in high school. And now they're seeing that every game with guys that are 2-3 years older. It's no surprise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT