ADVERTISEMENT

IU/Cincinnati Trivia

Bowlmania

All-American
Sep 23, 2016
This is the first time IU is hosting a nationally ranked non-conference opponent since #2 USC played (and beat, 21-0) Lee Corso's Hoosiers in Bloomington in 1981.

IU leads the all-time series with Cincinnati 8-3 (and two ties).

The teams last played in Sep 2000. IU won that contest, in Bloomington, 42-6.

Luke Fickell went 4-8 in 2017, his first season as HC of the Bearcats. He's 33-6 since! This is going to be one tough game for IU, but I'm loving the fact that we're going to have a loud, packed house and a real home-field advantage. Go Hoosiers!

This is the first time IU is hosting a nationally ranked non-conference opponent since #2 USC played (and beat, 21-0) Lee Corso's Hoosiers in Bloomington in 1981.

Luke Fickell went 4-8 in 2017, his first season as HC of the Bearcats. He's 33-6 since! This is going to be one tough game for IU, but I'm loving the fact that we're going to have a loud, packed house and a real home-field advantage. Go Hoosiers!
In typical Lee Corso fashion, after the USC game Corso remarked " I told you we were going to have a Rose Bowl team in Bloomington."

This will be a tough game and we will have a better understanding of what this IU team is capable of doing this year. A loss will crush the hope that this season held but IU could suffer a loss and still come out strong regaining confidence.
I'm totally with you on most of your post, Vesuvius. I'm not sure, though, about "still come out strong regaining confidence."

If we lose, and assuming we win at WKU the following week, we'd be sitting at 2-2 with @PSU, vs Michigan State and vs Ohio State in the following three games. We'll be dogs against Penn State and Ohio State, and Michigan State is certainly no gimme this year. Those games are followed by challenging road games at Maryland and Michigan. We could be in a hole come early November.

I may be an outlier here, but I view the Cincinnati game as a must-win. This is our chance to shut up the naysayers who claim we've fattened up on weak competition the last two years (and/or we exploited a few traditionally good teams who were having off years) and benefited from the absence of hostile crowds last season. With a packed house, a nationally ranked opponent, and a bright national spotlight, we need to make a statement Saturday. Beat the Bearcats!!

I'm totally with you on most of your post, Vesuvius. I'm not sure, though, about "still come out strong regaining confidence."

If we lose, and assuming we win at WKU the following week, we'd be sitting at 2-2 with @PSU, vs Michigan State and vs Ohio State in the following three games. We'll be dogs against Penn State and Ohio State, and Michigan State is certainly no gimme this year. Those games are followed by challenging road games at Maryland and Michigan. We could be in a hole come early November.

I may be an outlier here, but I view the Cincinnati game as a must-win. This is our chance to shut up the naysayers who claim we've fattened up on weak competition the last two years (and/or we exploited a few traditionally good teams who were having off years) and benefited from the absence of hostile crowds last season. With a packed house, a nationally ranked opponent, and a bright national spotlight, we need to make a statement Saturday. Beat the Bearcats!!
I am with you. Sure, the season isn't over with a loss but of the 4 big games on our schedule (OSU, Penn State, Iowa and Cincy) we would already be 0-2 against what we originally thought were the 2 "easier" games of the 4. I think the big thing that goes out the window is all of our highest expectations.

If IU loses, its not the end of the world as its a top 10 non-conference opponent and it has no impact on us running through the B1G East but I think we would have to pull back the reigns on where this team is as a "possible" top 15 team. It's an obvious must win for us to be able to control our own destiny from here on out. If Iowa runs through their schedule and we run through ours, we have a rematch that could basically render that week 1 loss useless. Now....how realistic that thinking is after the first two weeks is quite debatable but that would be the severe downside of losing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bowlmania

I agree with you about this game being a must win game. I don't know IU can come out stronger with a loss, I just an not discounting the team if they play a great game and still lose.

Indiana is in a must win situation against UC. Simply put, they just about have to get the W...no questions asked.

Indiana is going to have an electric crowd and the stadium at capacity. It's high time they beat Cincinnati's ass. Beat UC and Western Kentucky to be 3-1 and suddenly things look pretty damn good.

I know I'm older, but I didn't think I am completely losing my mind. But I will swear that the last time the two teams met in 2000 was at Nippert Stadium in Cincinnati and was a night game. I went with two friends and a son of one them, and spent time before the game at their outdoor festive place and a beer garden there.

Reactions: Bowlmania
I know I'm older, but I didn't think I am completely losing my mind. But I will swear that the last time the two teams met in 2000 was at Nippert Stadium in Cincinnati and was a night game. I went with two friends and a son of one them, and spent time before the game at their outdoor festive place and a beer garden there.
Last time we played at Nippert Stadium was 1998. The 2000 game was in Bloomington.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT