ADVERTISEMENT

IU bias.

Its amazing how much the media hates us.

Anthony McFarland had 1000+ yards and 4 TDs and made the Freshman All American team.

Stevie Scott had 1100+ yds and 10 TDs and didnt make the team. Smh.

I think McFarland is getting the attention because he put up those numbers with 100 less carries than Scott. However, that is somewhat skewed because McFarland had 2 monster games (IU and OSU) which accounted for half his yards on the season.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
I think McFarland is getting the attention because he put up those numbers with 100 less carries than Scott. However, that is somewhat skewed because McFarland had 2 monster games (IU and OSU) which accounted for half his yards on the season.

McFarland was also a redshirt freshman, not a true freshman, who was 4-star, 5.9 Rivals guy with an offer from Bama. He had a lot of accolades coming in. He would have had to fall flat on his face not to win it. They always go with ratings if the results are close.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
Wow, that almost seems like an epic snub?? I don't buy what some other posters are selling, no other way to put it, Stevie got fvcked.

I'm sure his motivation will run strong heading into this season. Hopefully he and his teammates have some scores to settle and they get the job done!!

Anthony McFarland had 1000+ yards and 4 TDs and made the Freshman All American team.

Time to play with a chip on our shoulder and take what we want.

Know your job - do your job - kick their ass.

Love Each Other - not them. #

Wow, that almost seems like an epic snub?? I don't buy what some other posters are selling, no other way to put it, Stevie got fvcked.

I'm sure his motivation will run strong heading into this season. Hopefully he and his teammates have some scores to settle and they get the job done!!
Agree It is what it is...Would love to post the (d*ck in the mouth gif) of the voters but lets just keep it what it is. Ssshhhhhhh

Reactions: td75
I bet we care more than Stevie. I literally bet he a) doesn't know about the award and b) doesn't know who McFarland is or who he plays for. They are far too busy to worry about other players because they never get a chance to see anyone else play except the other side of the ball of their opponents on film...with the exception of the bye week and bowl season.

scott is a fine back for us but he does not look like an all-american runner. that said, i am glad we have him

scott is a fine back for us but he does not look like an all-american runner. that said, i am glad we have him
Curious as to what you think is missing from his "look."

The kid did what he did - - against some of the best competition in the country - - as an 18 year-old true freshman. Look at his numbers. Go back and watch the Michigan game again. I was in the car for most of that game, listening to Michigan's radio broadcast. The Michigan announcers couldn't stop praising him, and they're used to seeing some pretty good football players up there.

The kid is a star, and absolutely has All-American potential.

The kid did what he did - - against some of the best competition in the country - - as an 18 year-old true freshman. Look at his numbers. Go back and watch the Michigan game again. I was in the car for most of that game, listening to Michigan's radio broadcast. The Michigan announcers couldn't stop praising him, and they're used to seeing some pretty good football players up there.

What's missing is breakaway speed. the kid at Wisconsin was the 100M (200M?) state champ in HS, for example. The McFalrland kid also has elite speed.

Now....we can have a discussion as to just how important breakaway speed is relative to ground and pound and ball security......but that is what's missing.

Reactions: coachv jr

I think you make a good point, but you know voters will mostly look at #s, and McFarland avg. 7.9 ypc v. Stevie's 5.0......McFarland avg. 7.9, MD as a whole 5.7. Scott avg. 5.0, IU as a whole 4.4.

The OP's contention that the media hates us is silly. They actually ignore us, ala Kansas or Wake Forest.

Reactions: coachv jr
What's missing is breakaway speed. the kid at Wisconsin was the 100M (200M?) state champ in HS, for example. The McFalrland kid also has elite speed.

Now....we can have a discussion as to just how important breakaway speed is relative to ground and pound and ball security......but that is what's missing.

Sigh. Tough crowd.

Reactions: 76-1 and DANC

break away ability that makes him stand out as one of the 2 best freshman running backs in the country. hell, ohio st and bama probably have 2 freshman each that are better backs than scott

break away ability that makes him stand out as one of the 2 best freshman running backs in the country. hell, ohio st and bama probably have 2 freshman each that are better backs than scott

So?

If your kid had a teacher that did nothing but point out your kid's shortcomings and never praised your kid's successes - what would you do?

Reactions: td75 and 76-1
I don't think anyone is saying Scott is a bum by stating the opinion that he is not an All-American. I agree, though, that this board has a disturbing habit of cannibalizing our own.

"Bowlmania, post: 2567040, member: 49248"]Curious as to what you think is missing from his "look."

Yeah, not bad for a guy who was being seriously looked at as a LB.

Stevie Scott
Samson James
Ronnie Walker

We have an absolute stable of backs. The Oline should relish blocking for those studs.
Ronnie Walker and Stevie Scott need to be on the field together.

Walker has speed and change of direction. Scott is powerful and hits the hole hard.

Put them in a double back position or one in motion - I think it would be effective.

I think Ramsey could be very good if he played under center and used play-action with those guys. But I realize that'll never happen.

Ronnie Walker and Stevie Scott need to be on the field together.

Walker has speed and change of direction. Scott is powerful and hits the hole hard.

Put them in a double back position or one in motion - I think it would be effective.

I think Ramsey could be very good if he played under center and used play-action with those guys. But I realize that'll never happen.
what about sampson?

Anthony Thompson didn't have breakaway speed. nor did ARE.

Tevin Coleman did, Jordan Howard not as much.

lots of guys over the yrs, including 100 yd state champs, at IU did have breakaway speed, who weren't as good as AT or ARE or Howard.

All American is a high bar, but SS had a very good yr.

Reactions: Chriselli and DANC
so again, is Cole Gest supposed to be healthy.

if so, i don't see him not getting some carries.

Scott likes to use patience like a current elite NFL back who's name eludes me.

Gest hits the hole really fast.

i'd think they are a good change of pace combo.

with RB, several guys are needed and get carries.

Reactions: ESalum86

Gest will be back, but he's looking at a pretty crowded RB room now. I believe that I read that James is enrolling in January and will be participating in spring ball. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

lots of guys over the yrs, including 100 yd state champs, at IU did have breakaway speed, who weren't as good as AT or ARE or Howard.

All American is a high bar, but SS had a very good yr.[/QUOTEthompson and randle el broke tackles and made people miss like nobody's business. that's not scott. yet

maybe gest can be moved to the slot

Reactions: Chriselli

All American is a high bar, but SS had a very good yr.
scott reminds me a lot of howard

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT