ADVERTISEMENT

Iu bball’s jeffries dishes victor, pg, miller and crean

Very good interview on JMV yesterday.

"Insecure", couldn't relate to the fan base in a genuine manner, and "always shopping for the next job"

Reactions: IUgradman and kkott
Very good interview on JMV yesterday.

"Insecure", couldn't relate to the fan base in a genuine manner, and "always shopping for the next job"

Didn't know what Jared was up to, so that's good to hear and catch up. Also sounds like he sees things pretty clearly!

Reactions: Rakkasan29
"Jeffries said IU athletic director Fred Glass sought his input in the process that led to Miller's hiring."

I like hearing that.

Reactions: BigNutsIUFan
Sure. However, there were plenty of people back then who were skeptical that Crean wasn't the guy all the way in to year 3. For the money he makes Glass should have been one of them.
Yup, and giving the extension on the basis of a preseason rating definitely raised my eyebrow. Having read what JJ said, maybe there was something going on that summer.

Reactions: IUgradman
Glass had no experience in collegiate athletics before becoming AD at IU. He didn’t play collegiate sports either. So it isn’t surprising he made stupid decisions because he is in over his head and his boss, McRobbie, doesn’t give a damn about sports so Fred is not held accountable. Nebraska, on the other hand, fired the AD who hired Mike Riley. Kansas fired their AD who presided over an awful stretch of football.

Reactions: Upset Alert
"Jeffries said IU athletic director Fred Glass sought his input in the process that led to Miller's hiring."

I like hearing that.
Do you think Glass went out of his way to listen to anyone's input as far as football is concerned?

If Jeffries quote of Crean "was always hunting for new jobs" is true, do you think Glass knew about this? If so, why wasn't he replaced sooner?

Do you think Glass went out of his way to listen to anyone's input as far as football is concerned?

If Jeffries quote of Crean "was always hunting for new jobs" is true, do you think Glass knew about this? If so, why wasn't he replaced sooner?

This is what I'm trying to figure out. What job was he searching for? He surely wasnt going to "move up" in coaching, unless the Indiana job is a lesser job than what I'm picturing.

Glass also said that, regarding the search, being a Hoosier would be “double check +” and same if they were the state of Indiana. Not sure targeting 2% of the country would have been a great strategy.

Obviously CAM is neither.

Reactions: IUgradman
Ugh...the Crean extension. Ugh.

First off I thought Crean's original contract had a billion years left already. Remember when he first signed and then went back and got more years added in? So there was absolutely no reason for it...Crean was already signed.

Coaches want the extension, the security. The college should want less years so they are more flexible if something goes wrong. For a successful lawyer I will never get the extension after one year of four that was close to what we wanted (and we finished 5th I thought, was whupped in the BTT by Wisconsin, again. It's not like we had an AMAZING season...we had a really good one in year frikken four, which I had issues with).

Secondly Fred should have been aware that Stevens was percolating up at Butler. He just took them to back to back Natty title games, grew up an IU fan, played high school at Indiana, was becoming a rock star coach and was what, 35?? If you don't go after him when I wanted him to (after year three)...don't make yourself less flexible to jump on this supposed young monster coach.

He did with the extension and we had to predictably struggle after Cody left multiple years before enough was enough.

We had to put up with 80% of our team getting arrested.

We had to put up with a transfer rate that was ridiculous. Even the walk ons transferred.

Then we had to put up with the state's high school coaches turning their back on him. I think it was from the constant over committing (and Jeffries alludes to it) but maybe it was from his meltdown and trashing of Trey Lyles.

Anyway that extension was sub-dumb.

However once he saw the light he's been hitting it out of the park. First by cutting Crean loose, than by resisting hiring Alford to bring in the hot, young coach who has everyone saying he's the next big thing (and who every AD wanted).

So I forgive Glass.

Crean was looking for jobs bc he knew he was in over his head. He did resurrect program tho. Glass made huge mistake on extension.

Archie is RMK 2.0

Crean was looking for jobs bc he knew he was in over his head. He did resurrect program tho. Glass made huge mistake on extension.

Archie is RMK 2.0

Crean, after nine seasons, left Archie a barely .500 roster and burned bridges throughout the state.

Reactions: mike41703
Crean, after nine seasons, left Archie a barely .500 roster and burned bridges throughout the state.
Agree. But - he should get credit for building the program back up. IU was ranked #1 for like 20 weeks. The extension was the killer.

I am not a fan of CTC, but he does deserve some credit. If anything - Glass is to blame for keeping him around for so long. CTC did what anybody would do - advocate for their own job. That's not on CTC. That's Glass' fault.

Now - I agree that anyone (including CTC) could've built the program back up and that it was a sleeping giant. But nonetheless - he did it a few times. He had 3 good seasons.

With that said - I really think Archie is the man.

Reactions: speroni
Mostly what he said is true. Had they won in 2002, JJ would be an all time great. Would of loved to see him another year or two.

This is what I'm trying to figure out. What job was he searching for? He surely wasnt going to "move up" in coaching, unless the Indiana job is a lesser job than what I'm picturing.
The issue isn't what job(s) Crean was looking for. The real issue is why did Glass not cut the cord sooner if he knew? On top of that, Glass didn't seek advice or counsel for the football program when making his latest hire. There are some of us that would like to see both sports do well, and at the same time. IU has suffered enough with both sports in his time frame. We need a change at the very top.

The issue isn't what job(s) Crean was looking for. The real issue is why did Glass not cut the cord sooner if he knew? On top of that, Glass didn't seek advice or counsel for the football program when making his latest hire. There are some of us that would like to see both sports do well, and at the same time. IU has suffered enough with both sports in his time frame. We need a change at the very top.

To your first point, and to be fair to Glass he did try to move on Crean two years earlier but was throttled by a couple of BOT members. Ironically, a third trustee helped get it done in year three. As for your second point, you don't know that.

Basketball is rejuvenated - Archie is The Man.
Football....you can't hire from within and expect to have the same results that perennial bowl powers enjoy.
At some point you have to pony up the money to hire a proven winner, or suffer through another 60 years as one of the worst BCS football teams in a major conference. You get what you pay for.

Last edited:
To your first point, and to be fair to Glass he did try to move on Crean two years earlier but was throttled by a couple of BOT members. Ironically, a third trustee helped get it done in year three. As for your second point, you don't know that.

You mean after year 7 when he gave Crean his full support? Total BS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT