ADVERTISEMENT

IU baseball scuttlebutt

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
1. Vecrumba---According to a retweet on iubase.com, he says he passed up nearly a $500,000 signing bonus, 4th round selection by the Braves, with an additional $100,000 later toward educational expenses. Again, this is 3rd part hearsay, but my good IU source independently heard the same story. He apparently believes he will be a 1st round pick out of IU. I saw a story that listed his #s this year as: .500 BA, 10 HRs, 10 doubles, 5 triples, 42 RBIs, 19 SBs.

2. The same source told me that 3 players you would all recognize are leaving the program. None would be devastating losses, but all are a surprise to me if true. I don't want to mention names yet, as I've seen no confirmation. He has says Dunham will stay at IU. Can anyone else confirm?

3. I think this years recruiting class is better than I originally feared. Vecrumba & Sharp, of course, but Nate Stahl out of Ohio was the Ohio State Player of the year by PBR baseball (That's not Pabst Blue Ribbon, it's a legit site). I saw these stats on him: As a pitcher, in 52.1 IP, has a .27 ERA., was 9-0, and had 2 CGs. I didn't write down his Ks, but they were in the mid-70s, and his K/BBratio was a good one. As a hitter (3rd baseman), hit .370 with 9 doubles, 8 HRs, 42 RBIs, 16 BBs. Collegiate Baseball also lists Stahl on their 2nd team AA listing under "multiple positions". Essentially, that means they think he's 1 of the top 150 or so prospects in the country.

4. The big lefty, Jack Walker, out of New Pal, sure looks the part as well, and is highly regarded by at least one site. Also, 2021's Tyler Nelson, from Andrean, was listed as a 2nd team AA (this year) by Collegiate Baseball at the SS position---essentially one of the top 30 SS prospects in the USA.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I've been thinking. Everyone has predicted doom and gloom with all the draftees and a lackluster incoming class. While it would be ideal to return at least one if not two of your weekend pitching staff, I think we're going to be ok. Position wise, we need a catcher - and it sounds like we've got a couple of prospects there. Other than that, I don't see too many holes. Hope I'm not being overly optimistic, but I see another good year on the horizon.

Thank you MG for the info - very much appreciated- do u have info on Carter Mathison who supposedly has committed? Would very much welcome a complete roster breakdown/opinion from you & Snowling - think that Kip Fougerousse is going to be a nice Freshman for us FYI....

Reactions: RBB89
MG - have you heard anything on Kaletha coming back - I know nothing btw - just guessing he could get a medical possibly....

Thank you MG for the info - very much appreciated- do u have info on Carter Mathison who supposedly has committed? Would very much welcome a complete roster breakdown/opinion from you & Snowling - think that Kip Fougerousse is going to be a nice Freshman for us FYI....

Isn't Fougerousse still a year or two away?

Kip will be a Senior at Linton this Fall. Josh Pyne, his teammate and fellow IU recruit, will be a Junior.

Was thinking Kaletha could have played in too many games (18) but not sure what the % of games you can play in before Injury.

As far as Mathison.....He's a 2021 recruit listed as a 6'1" 180 lb outfielder/pitcher....I would guess IU is looking at him as an outfielder. I did see some stats for him for his freshmen & sophomore yrs.which were pretty impressive......348 BA , .493 OB%, 12 doubles, 4 HRs, 3 triples, 12 SBs in 12 SBAs in 38 total games.

I think we're getting some fast little shits to go more toward a UL/Michigan model than what we saw this year....guys like Jesse out of OH, Manous's brother, Tyler Schank....also, the Combs kid sounds athletic for a C.......

Reactions: mk23
As far as Mathison.....He's a 2021 recruit listed as a 6'1" 180 lb outfielder/pitcher....I would guess IU is looking at him as an outfielder. I did see some stats for him for his freshmen & sophomore yrs only.which were pretty impressive......348 BA , .493 OB%, 12 doubles, 4 HRs, 3 triples, 12 SBs in 12 SBAs in 38 total games.

I think we're getting some fast little shits to go more toward a UL/Michigan model than what we saw this year....guys like Jesse out of OH, Manous's brother, Tyler Schank....also, the Combs kid sounds athletic for a C.......
There is absolutely nothing wrong with having some bonafide speed in your lineup. Puts pressure on the defense...which clearly NEVER happens when you strikeout 15 times a game.

Reactions: ulrey
MG - have you heard anything on Kaletha coming back - I know nothing btw - just guessing he could get a medical possibly....

I haven't heard, but I forgot to ask.......I would think we would have seen/heard something if he was coming back, however......

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having some bonafide speed in your lineup. Puts pressure on the defense...which clearly NEVER happens when you strikeout 15 times a game.

I wish we had gotten Grant Trinkle, 5'9" 170 lbs outfielder out of Columbus North. He makes things happen. He's a UK recruit. I wonder if the Schank kid is comparable in ability to disrupt....I assume Grant is related to Cooper Trinkle, but don't know if it's brother or cousin.

BTW, I saw a list from the PBR website that had the top 10 2020 kids listed, as follows:

1. Bruce Eblin,,,,,,Center Grove.....SS.....Bama
2. Kip Fourousse....Linton.......3B...IU
3. Casper Clark.....Columbus N........RHP.....IU
4. Charez Butcher.....Kokomo....RHP......Uncommitted
5. Zach Behrmann....North Central....LHP......IU
6. Costa Sirounis....Munster....RHP......IU
7. Ryan Lynch......Penn....LHP........ND
8. Brandon Dodson.....Martinsville....RHP....Purdue
9. Grant Trinkle......Columbus N.....OF...UK
10. Jose Guzman....Ben Davis....RHP....Cincy

What's a Martinsville kid doing going to Purdue? Also, odd that UL got none...I know they had a very good recruiting year overall.

Edit---I'm from Columbus, but was negligent and didn't go see them this year. I did see Clark & Trinkle last year.....Clark's a big, thick kid who isn't all that athletic overall, but does move well on and around the mound....if that makes any sense.....He's not a flamethrower...I think right now he's in the 87-89 MPH range tops....I'm somewhat surprised he's rated as high as #3.

Gilley and Greenwell from Columbus East had committed to us when Lemonis was still here.....I think both could have played for IU, esp. Greenwell....but both signed with smaller programs---ISU & Wright St., respectively.....I never thought the Maddox kid, from Columbus N., who also de-committed, was a Big 10 level player. As far as Cooper Trinkle....I remember the name, but really do not remember him being any kind of big-time prospect. I am told, however, that he is considered to be a pretty good defensive SS now....we'll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrazyHands
I watched the Edgewood/Andrean 3A championship game online and it was the first time I had seen the Vecrumba kid play, and I tell you, that kid is a physical specimen--extremely well built. Here's hoping that equates well at IU. The Edgewood pitcher, Luke Hayden, who is just a soph and an IU commit, looked pretty impressive early on, but ran out of gas starting in the 4th, and ran into some control problems in a 2-1 loss. He still has two years of high school left to develop, but he looks like a good get for IU.

Reactions: mk23
Living in CG, I hate seeing kids like Eblin go out of state. I get it, but I don't like it. Same feeling when Russ Yeast figured the trainwreck at UofL was better for him than IU.

Living in CG, I hate seeing kids like Eblin go out of state. I get it, but I don't like it. Same feeling when Russ Yeast figured the trainwreck at UofL was better for him than IU.
The one thing about Louisville, in addition to being in our shadow, is they have had coaching stability there with their current head coach finishing up his 12th year (I believe.) He's also one of the highest paid head coaches out there at $1.1 million annually, so that clearly helps with the stability factor.

The one thing about Louisville, in addition to being in our shadow, is they have had coaching stability there with their current head coach finishing up his 12th year (I believe.) He's also one of the highest paid head coaches out there at $1.1 million annually, so that clearly helps with the stability factor.
Yeah. I was actually talking about the football program and that genius Petrino. But your point is completely valid re: baseball.

MG - also born & bred in Columbus - was/am a Bulldog....

Not many people realize that Columbus HS/Columbus North has won a lot of state championships in various sports........more SCs than IU has NCs, by far.......just not basketball or football.

I was alive but not then aware of the '63 (or was it '64?) team with Newsom & Hollenbeck. People talked about that team and how they should have won the SC for 20 years afterwards.........

I wish we had gotten Grant Trinkle, 5'9" 170 lbs outfielder out of Columbus North. He makes things happen. He's a UK recruit. I wonder if the Schank kid is comparable in ability to disrupt....I assume Grant is related to Cooper Trinkle, but don't know if it's brother or cousin.

BTW, I saw a list from the PBR website that had the top 10 2020 kids listed, as follows:

1. Bruce Eblin,,,,,,Center Grove.....SS.....Bama
2. Kip Fourousse....Linton.......3B...IU
3. Casper Clark.....Columbus N........RHP.....IU
4. Charez Butcher.....Kokomo....RHP......Uncommitted
5. Zach Behrmann....North Central....LHP......IU
6. Costa Sirounis....Munster....RHP......IU
7. Ryan Lynch......Penn....LHP........ND
8. Brandon Dodson.....Martinsville....RHP....Purdue
9. Grant Trinkle......Columbus N.....OF...UK
10. Jose Guzman....Ben Davis....RHP....Cincy

What's a Martinsville kid doing going to Purdue? Also, odd that UL got none...I know they had a very good recruiting year overall.

Edit---I'm from Columbus, but was negligent and didn't go see them this year. I did see Clark & Trinkle last year.....Clark's a big, thick kid who isn't all that athletic overall, but does move well on and around the mound....if that makes any sense.....He's not a flamethrower...I think right now he's in the 87-89 MPH range tops....I'm somewhat surprised he's rated as high as #3.

Gilley and Greenwell from Columbus East had committed to us when Lemonis was still here.....I think both could have played for IU, esp. Greenwell....but both signed with smaller programs---ISU & Wright St., respectively.....I never thought the Maddox kid, from Columbus N., who also de-committed, was a Big 10 level player. As far as Cooper Trinkle....I remember the name, but really do not remember him being any kind of big-time prospect. I am told, however, that he is considered to be a pretty good defensive SS now....we'll see.
Louisville got the kid from North Posey that's a stud.

ADVERTISEMENT