ADVERTISEMENT

IU adds Ole Miss transfer DB Jonathan Haynes

YOTHN

All-American
Jun 20, 2014
Very interesting move. We already have great depth but were still able to go out and get a veteran DB who has started the last 2 years at Ole Miss. I believe he'll have one year of eligibility but this kid is experienced and super talented. Great addition and welcome to the team Mr. Haynes!

As for Ole Miss, its like we're making an all start team of IU's defense and theirs. :)

Last edited:
Very interesting move. We already have great depth but were still able to go out and get a veteran DB who has started the last 2 years at Ole Miss. I believe he'll have one year of eligibility but this kid is experienced and super talented. Great addition and welcome to the team Mr. Haynes!

As for Ole Miss, its like we're making an all start team of IU's defense and theirs. :)
Depending on how quickly he can get up to speed with the Defensive playbook he might very well turn out to be a key player by the last two thirds of the season...

Nice pickup!!!

From the front page:

Wow...that was quick. Makes one think that the James exit was a known factor for a number of days internally within the coaching staff.

Depending on how quickly he can get up to speed with the Defensive playbook he might very well turn out to be a key player by the last two thirds of the season...

Nice pickup!!!

From the front page:

So he's a graduate senior playing that extra year due to COVID.

So we have what, 18 out of 24 or so players on the defensive depth chart that are Sr's? People can overlook us all the want for the next 3 weeks but I think they're going to quickly wake up. This season is the perfect storm of a talented team combined with a unrivaled experience due to the weird extra COVID year. Which you would think is equal for all teams but IU had a lot of players opt in that other schools simply did not. If ever there was a season in our life times where we genuinely competed at the top, this is it.

He entered portal on Aug 3

He started all of last year for Ole Miss. It didn't say if he was expected to start for them this year. Given our depth at DB, it is a bit surprising if he transferred to us due to playing time. Would he be good enough to push out one of our starters?

Reactions: vesuvius13 and TMFT
I love it for the depth but it doesn't make a ton of sense to me (not that I'm complaining).

Mullen, Taylor, & Williams is a pretty stout core of top 3 DBs. Unless this kid's a real stud I can't imagine he'd be able to supplant any of them. Again though, tremendous for added depth.

I love it for the depth but it doesn't make a ton of sense to me (not that I'm complaining).

Mullen, Taylor, & Williams is a pretty stout core of top 3 DBs. Unless this kid's a real stud I can't imagine he'd be able to supplant any of them. Again though, tremendous for added depth.

For the kid, maybe he has the utmost confidence? Plus, he was a safety which we are deep at as well.

He also could be good friends with Ryder and has been given a lot of information on how great it is to play at IU. He will definitely get time on punt and kick coverage plus there are almost always going to be injuries on the depth chart that will allow him to get playing time, regardless. If its his last year, why not go somewhere fun, where they're talented and he can still get his nose in and get some PT?

Last edited:
For the kid, maybe he has the utmost confidence? Plus, he was a safety which we are deep at as well.

He also could be good friends with Ryder and has been given a lot of information on how great it is to play at IU. He will definitely get time on punt and kick coverage plus there are almost always going to be injuries on the depth chart that will allow him to get playing time, regardless. If its his last year, why not go somewhere fun, where they're talented and he can still get his nose in and get some PT?
I'm an idiot. I saw DB and was thinking corner. Wasn't really considering safety.

In any event I hope he comes, works hard, embraces whatever his role ends up being, and has fun.

There is absolutely zero downside to bringing this kid on.

2 year SEC starter who will have one year to play for us. He should be able able pickup the playback fast being as he's a upperclassmen, so he'll at the worst bring depth.

Solid pickup.

As bowl game participants they spent some time together (covid limited) so he riwas exposed to Allen. Maybe just loved what he saw.

Pretty Major contrast between Allen and Durkin (their D.C.)... That'd be a Really Easy decision...

Partridge (their Safeties Coach from MI) may be a jerk too... (?)

Also looks like they brought in a Transfer from Navy at S and might have indicated he'd get the start...(??)

Ole Miss has turned into a farm team of sorts for us... 😉

I'm with MK23..., who knew that a weird, bitter, Bowl loss would turn out to possibly be a good thing (of sorts)... 🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: mk23 and vesuvius13
Pretty Major contrast between Allen and Durkin (their D.C.)... That'd be an Really Easy decision...

Partridge (their Safeties Coach from MI) may be a jerk too... (?)

Also looks like they brought in a Transfer from Navy at S and might have indicated he'd get the start...(??)

Ole Miss has turned into a farm team of sorts for us... 😉

I'm with MK23..., who knew that a weird, bitter, Bowl loss would turn out to possibly be a good thing (of sorts)... 🤔
Jason Jones recruited him to OleMiss, previous relationship certainly played a role here.

Does he have immediate eligibility or will he be playing next year?
That was my thought. If He didn't take a Redshirt Year at Ole Miss, and gets the extra year due to COVID, can he Redshirt this year and use his extra year next year?

Those guys are all corners and he is a safety. And we did lose Jamar Johnson, don't forget.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
That was my thought. If He didn't take a Redshirt Year at Ole Miss, and gets the extra year due to COVID, can he Redshirt this year and use his extra year next year?
He won’t RS. He could by rule but he’s already got four years under his belt and it makes no sense for either party for him to transfer to a team and then sit. They’ll use him this year then have that ride back next year for someone else.

He’ll be in the mix this fall or he wouldn’t be here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT