ADVERTISEMENT

IU 34 - PSU 24

In my personal experience, tOSU, UMich, and PSU take Little 8 moral victories personally.
(Hayes certainly did. See link below).
They purposefully administer beatdowns the following season. All three will be loaded for bear.
Moral Victories are a thing of the past — CTA says we must believe we will win.
I think the CTA lead teams are beyond moral victories now.

I met the bus after this moral victory. I can assure you the team was not pleased.
https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/1975-08-Indiana.pdf
(See coaches comments on page 9).

The following year, ‘76, was the infamous Indiana 7, Ohio State 6 halftime score.
CLC did point to the North End Zone scoreboard, while running to the (old) locker room.
[The whole stadium was stoked by the halftime score].
In the second half, I saw a DL hand the ball forward to Ray Griffith (on the student section sideline).

For a Michigan example, may I refer you to ‘74 and ‘75 scores.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/indiana/1975-schedule.html

I heard the OSU story on Woody Hayes years before Tom Brew wrote this for SI
https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...diana-football-wins-over-ohio-state-1987-1988

I presume Shembeckler took Hayes’ outlook to Ann Arbor.
I believe Joe Pa had much the same attitude at PSU.
But I can’t find a good definitive quote for PSU or UMich.
https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...heartbreak-vs-michigan-wolverines/6171602002/
https://hoosierhuddle.com/hoosier-blog/game-day-primer-no-24-indiana-at-no-9-penn-state/2019/11/15

For An irreverent recounting of the prior state of affairs, See OTE at:
https://www.offtackleempire.com/201...n-ohio-state-michigan-purdue-old-oaken-bucket

SI article on IU Penn State
https://www.si.com/college/pennstat...hosts-indiana-in-prime-time-at-beaver-stadium

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
QB play still iffy, two very good wide receivers. Extremely fast and aggressive defense + the atmosphere means IU has to play lights out and mistake free in all three phases.
Clifford hasn't been iffy since the 1st half of the first game against Wisconsin. He was 28 of 32 against Auburn.

IU fans have more wins to look forward to this season. But not this Saturday. Penn State, 31-20.

Reactions: Lucy01
No way IU wins this game. PSU has likely been focused on this game for the past year. I think it will be a blowout with Penix throwing at least 2 interceptions.

They started 0-5 last year. Not like we knocked them out of the playoffs. I expect a close game. I’d say 25% chance we pull it out.

• Sad
They started 0-5 last year. Not like we knocked them out of the playoffs. I expect a close game. I’d say 25% chance we pull it out.
But in a very real sense, we did knock them out. They never recovered from losing to us (and on a controversial finish at that), and it cost them a bowl bid (let alone a playoff shot).

Trust me--they circled this game on their calendar as soon as we won a year ago. They'll be out for blood, and they're way better now.

But in a very real sense, we did knock them out. They never recovered from losing to us (and on a controversial finish at that), and it cost them a bowl bid (let alone a playoff shot).

Trust me--they circled this game on their calendar as soon as we won a year ago. They'll be out for blood, and they're way better now.
Everybody talks about "the reach" in OT, and understandably so (it was a controversial call but a great athletic play by Penix nonetheless that resulted in the big W), but it never should have come to that. Penn State should have won the game in regulation. They had a 1 point lead late in the 4th quarter, they had the ball in our territory, and they were in a position to simply run out the clock. Instead, their RB accepted our invitation to score, we got the ball back down 8, and the rest is history.

Penn State really has no one to blame for that loss except themselves.

Reactions: hoosier roadtrips
Everybody talks about "the reach" in OT, and understandably so (it was a controversial call but a great athletic play by Penix nonetheless that resulted in the big W), but it never should have come to that. Penn State should have won the game in regulation. They had a 1 point lead late in the 4th quarter, they had the ball in our territory, and they were in a position to simply run out the clock. Instead, their RB accepted our invitation to score, we got the ball back down 8, and the rest is history.

No question. That doesn't really make my statement any less true, though. It started a tailspin that they would not recover from, including losses to NEB (who really sucked) and MD (who slightly sucked).

it was also 17-7 IU at half, PSU wasn’t exactly running away with things

Reactions: 76-1 and midwolfe

Had Hendershot caught that pass that he dropped, it's likely he takes it to the house. Game over, PSU would've been dead in the water but he dropped it.

As it is, Penix made one of the more spectacular winning plays in the history of Indiana University athletics.

Reactions: midwolfe
PSU still thinks they won last year
A preponderance of the PSU folks thinking that will say that the ball hit the ground out of bounds before it hit the pylon.

! ! ! NEWS FLASH ! ! ! The ball DID hit the ground out of bounds before it hit the pylon.

HOWEVER, the 2-point conversion was successful. Freeze frames of the play indicate that the ball broke the plane of the goal line before it hit the ground.

If you happen to know any of those PSU folks who think they won last year, tell them to go back and take another look. Look at the camera angle when the pylon is perfectly aligned with the goal line----the one in which the pylon makes it look as if the last couple feet of the goal line are orange rather than white. From that angle, the front end of the ball clearly disappears behind the pylon before the other part of the ball touches out of bounds. Since the pylon "plane" and goal line plane are in parallel from this angle, the ball had to have crossed the goal line before touching the ground.

Reactions: 76-1
A preponderance of the PSU folks thinking that will say that the ball hit the ground out of bounds before it hit the pylon.

! ! ! NEWS FLASH ! ! ! The ball DID hit the ground out of bounds before it hit the pylon.

HOWEVER, the 2-point conversion was successful. Freeze frames of the play indicate that the ball broke the plane of the goal line before it hit the ground.

If you happen to know any of those PSU folks who think they won last year, tell them to go back and take another look. Look at the camera angle when the pylon is perfectly aligned with the goal line----the one in which the pylon makes it look as if the last couple feet of the goal line are orange rather than white. From that angle, the front end of the ball clearly disappears behind the pylon before the other part of the ball touches out of bounds. Since the pylon "plane" and goal line plane are in parallel from this angle, the ball had to have crossed the goal line before touching the ground.
My first thought at the time was I can't say either way. However a day or 2 later, I saw the angle you are speaking of and was convinced he got in. Apparently the officials had that angle and we didn't get it on TV.

Had Hendershot caught that pass that he dropped, it's likely he takes it to the house. Game over, PSU would've been dead in the water but he dropped it.

As it is, Penix made one of the more spectacular winning plays in the history of Indiana University athletics.
Just to be clear, I'm not at all diminishing the importance of the play or the win. As I've indicated in other threads going back almost a year, Penix was amazing at the end of the 4th Quarter and in OT, and the win was a springboard to a special season for us. I was reacting to all the talk that Penn State must still be outraged by the call on the OT 2-point conversion and needs to exact revenge. If Ford doesn't walk into the endzone with 1:42 left in the 4th, we don't win. Period. But for that blunder - - their own blunder - - it wouldn't have come down to a controversial call in OT because there wouldn't have been an OT.

I just think the revenge talk is kind of overdone. That said, they'll have plenty of advantages this weekend, specifically, 107,000 of them in the stands. I don't believe motivation will be a problem for them.

Most people don’t understand the vertical plane rule. All of that stuff that happened after the ball broke the plane at the front part of the goal line is irrelevant. And if the first game loss causes a team to completely deflate, then the team is mentally weak. That’s on the coaches.

Most people don’t understand the vertical plane rule. All of that stuff that happened after the ball broke the plane at the front part of the goal line is irrelevant. And if the first game loss causes a team to completely deflate, then the team is mentally weak. That’s on the coaches.

The shot of the ball breaking the plane is somewhere on here back in the archives but I'm too lazy to go dig it up...; I think I just gave myself Carpal Tunnel Syndrome from entering all the Snowling Report links for P$U Eve...

The reality of that game is and was that James Franklin lost it and then our guys went out and Won it...

The tip of the football broke the invisible plane of the goaline and it was called a TD on the field and the call stood after going to the Review Booth. That's All Folks...! Period. Exclamation point!

The shot of the ball breaking the plane is somewhere on here back in the archives but I'm too lazy to go dig it up...; I think I just gave myself Carpal Tunnel Syndrome from entering all the Snowling Report links for P$U Eve...

The reality of that game is and was that James Franklin lost it and then our guys went out and Won it...

The tip of the football broke the invisible plane of the goaline and it was called a TD on the field and the call stood after going to the Review Booth. That's All Folks...! Period. Exclamation point!
Just curious. What's the significance of the dollar sign for the "S" in PSU?

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT