ADVERTISEMENT

IU -11 vs Rutgers

I saw that, I was thinking it would be much lower. Rutger has been much better than I thought.

The line of -11 carries an implied win probability 79.93%. Not guaranteeing a win by any stretch, but I will take those odds over the alternative any day.

stop the run.. the literally CAN NOT throw, and you'll beat them by 14 minimum. Where they are tricky.. there passing game is SO bad, that their QB with decent mobility will pick up some 3rd and 8's as you might be defending the pass with your back 5 (very similar with how you guys will use Ramsey, except he is scrambler, Ramsey can actually carry the ball past the LOS) Rutgers super bowl every year is Penn State.. we fumbled the opening kickoff.. they only got 3.. by the 2nd half they were playing to not get killed. A couple of guys observed their coaches holding up the snaps until the play clock hit 5...

The only thing you can not do is throw int's and turn the ball over, in 8 plays their sorry team can take like 6 minutes off the clock. No turnovers and you'll slaughter them. Their O is worse than Illinois at this point. Their coach is playing the moral victory game (ie, won't throw for a 3rd down, and taking the snap count deep every play), teams like that can be frustrating.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/3127375/giovanni-rescigno

43 yards.. not 143.. 43 yards vs PSU.. 107 against Maryland, 101 vs Michigan.. might be the most inept passing attack in CFB.. their WR's are a burning pile of garbage..

Reactions: ESalum86
This game scares the heck out of me. Like us, Rutgers is hungry and views this game as very winnable. Like us, they're 4-6, must win out to achieve bowl eligibility, and eager to demonstrate they're a program on the rise. Unlike us, they beat Maryland and have three conference wins. The -11 line seems excessive to me. We'll need to bring our "A" game to beat this team.

IU's defense must carry the day these last two weeks. They were extremely active up front last week against a poor Illinois team and they'll need to continue that effort this week.

It's really a special group of seniors. Scales, Covington, Hoff and Fant have gone from being key contributors on a historically bad defense in 2015, to an actual formidable top 25 or so unit this year. They are gunning for a third straight bowl game and a fifth Bucket win. Man, they've got to lay it all on the line during their final home game.

This game scares the heck out of me. Like us, Rutgers is hungry and views this game as very winnable. Like us, they're 4-6, must win out to achieve bowl eligibility, and eager to demonstrate they're a program on the rise. Unlike us, they beat Maryland and have three conference wins. The -11 line seems excessive to me. We'll need to bring our "A" game to beat this team.

Rutgers is a bit of an oddity. They have 3 conferences wins, but have been outgained in all of them, and by over 250 yards against Purdue. And they haven't really been competitive in any of their conference losses, averaging just about 200 yds in them.

They have been opportunistic in their wins, so if IU can avoid turnovers and mistakes on special teams (semi-big if), IU should win fairly comfortably

Rutgers is a bit of an oddity. They have 3 conferences wins, but have been outgained in all of them, and by over 250 yards against Purdue. And they haven't really been competitive in any of their conference losses, averaging just about 200 yds in them.

They have been opportunistic in their wins, so if IU can avoid turnovers and mistakes on special teams (semi-big if), IU should win fairly comfortably
I think I'm still traumatized by the blown 25 point lead against Rutgers a couple of years ago. I know we have a defense now, but the horrible taste from that loss has not left me. Gotta win this game Saturday.

I think I'm still traumatized by the blown 25 point lead against Rutgers a couple of years ago. I know we have a defense now, but the horrible taste from that loss has not left me. Gotta win this game Saturday.
not sure how much longer the can hide their QB.. their basket case coach is literally selling the the 35-6 PSU game as a win to recruits.. they had 43 passing yards!! Luckily RU is not paying Ash nothing, so he'll be easy to fire.

IU's defense is 30th in total yards per game so far this season against a very tough schedule. Rutgers offense is ranked 127th out of 130 teams in ypg. Purdue is 71st. One would surmise IU moves up into the top 25 defensively after these next two games. As long as IU shuts down the Rutgers running game, we should allow our secondary to go man on Rutgers 124th ranked passing game. Their rushing game is only 62nd as well.

I think the spread is closer to where it should be but Rutgers has always been one of those teams that give us fits. I hope we get up early and continue to pull away for once. Our defense is setup perfectly for that to happen yet we seem to always allow teams to get back in.

not sure how much longer the can hide their QB.. their basket case coach is literally selling the the 35-6 PSU game as a win to recruits.. they had 43 passing yards!! Luckily RU is not paying Ash nothing, so he'll be easy to fire.
What are you talking about?

It will be a good game. You guys guys despite your record are better than last year, it's pretty evident by the eye test. We will look to shorten the game as much as possible and run the ball as much as we can. I don't expect a high scoring game.

The more I'm learning, the more I like our chances. If their offense is that pathetic, no wonder the spread's where it is.

IU has a nice little defense that should spank Rutger's tail back to the Eastern Seaboard.

Reactions: 76-1 and Taylor ham
The more I'm learning, the more I like our chances. If their offense is that pathetic, no wonder the spread's where it is.

IU has a nice little defense that should spank Rutger's tail back to the Eastern Seaboard.
The key may be special teams play and turnovers. Purdue gift-wrapped the game to Rutgers, much as we did for Maryland. If we don't give them easy scores and don't give them a short field with turnovers and special teams malfunctions, I like our chances. Being at home should definitely help, but the weather might be a wild card.

The key may be special teams play and turnovers. Purdue gift-wrapped the game to Rutgers, much as we did for Maryland. If we don't give them easy scores and don't give them a short field with turnovers and special teams malfunctions, I like our chances. Being at home should definitely help, but the weather might be a wild card.

We gain 31 more yards per game than we give up--375 v. 344.

They gain 100 fewer yards per game than they give up--285 v. 385.

They give up almost 1 yard more per run they we do--4.62 v. 3.72.

Where they have us on the year is TO margin--they have lost 15, but gained 16. We have lost 18, gained only 10.

All of which means we'll probably try to run the ball and play D.....maybe even more so if the weather is bad. Sounds like a boring game which we should win easily unless we lose the TO game badly.

Bad weather probably favors Rutgers since they already can't pass a lick, and we can't run a lick.

RU fan here - We respect the hell out of your team, but I’m not seeing that IU respects us, nor Vegas. We’re 8-2 ATS and won 3 B1G games we weren’t supposed to. Did it with ball control, dominating the LOS, and opportunistic passing. This approach works against comparable athletes but not against the blue bloods. Once Gio took over at QB, we won our three games that weren’t determined in advance. We’ve also improved over the course of the season despite losing our two best defensive players, one of whom returned last week. We were competitive against PSU until their superior athleticism took over. Y’all are not fielding superior athletes to us. I hope your coaches and team dismiss our offense as much as others have. Jerry Kill has been making a living winning ugly for years. Should be a good game.

RU fan here - We respect the hell out of your team, but I’m not seeing that IU respects us, nor Vegas. We’re 8-2 ATS and won 3 B1G games we weren’t supposed to. Did it with ball control, dominating the LOS, and opportunistic passing. This approach works against comparable athletes but not against the blue bloods. Once Gio took over at QB, we won our three games that weren’t determined in advance. We’ve also improved over the course of the season despite losing our two best defensive players, one of whom returned last week. We were competitive against PSU until their superior athleticism took over. Y’all are not fielding superior athletes to us. I hope your coaches and team dismiss our offense as much as others have. Jerry Kill has been making a living winning ugly for years. Should be a good game.

We know all about Jerry Kill. When it comes to the run game he's one of the top coaches on the planet.

Sagarin has the spread as IU winning by 4 which under normal circumstances would be a reasonable call but given how important this game is to both teams I'd be really surprised if this one didn't end up going a couple of OT's.

Should be a good one.

If our team approaches it like they did Maryland your team might get the W. Hopefully we've learned that you have to bring it the entire time from that MD game.

Last edited:

Not very many IU fans are taking you guys lightly and not all the posts here are from IU fans. With the weather conditions likely for Saturday it is going to take away our one big advantage. Whoever can run the ball and stop the run will win this game.

This board has absolutely no bearing on how our coaches prepare for the game. That’s ridiculous. We expect to win and you expect to win. And that’s fine.

Reactions: 76-1
Also reduces the crowd and eliminates any remaining enthusiasm our fans have for the game.
IU has a ton to play for: A third consecutive bowl, which has happened one time ever. Five straight over Purdue, which has never happened. And a shot at a second winning season in 25 years. You would think our fans would be enthusiastic about that, especially since we’ve been in this exact position each of the last two years. But apparently they’re more concerned about melting.

I didn’t suggest the board has impact. I expressed hope that the thoughts shared were reflective.
The guy most responsible for bashing your team on this site is a Penn State fan. He usually only shows up here when we play PSU to talk smack about us. For whatever reason he has an apparent dislike for Rutgers. Most IU fans know that we have zero reasons for taking any team lightly. I don't think anybody who closely follows IU thinks that Rutgers will be anything but a dogfight.

We do have tremendous respect for Jerry Kill. We very likely might have hired him as our head coach before he went to Minny. I think following the death of Terry Hoeppner we were afraid of JK's health issues and didn't want to risk going through that again.

The guy most responsible for bashing your team on this site is a Penn State fan. He usually only shows up here when we play PSU to talk smack about us. For whatever reason he has an apparent dislike for Rutgers.

Many of the State Penn fans that hate RU are kids from New Jersey who applied to RU but were rejected

What are you talking about?

It will be a good game. You guys guys despite your record are better than last year, it's pretty evident by the eye test. We will look to shorten the game as much as possible and run the ball as much as we can. I don't expect a high scoring game.
@sct1111 he's an angry t-shirt Penn State fan, so don't take him seriously. If the Hoosiers can stop the run, which isn't an easy thing to do, we are dead in the water. Two weeks ago I thought we'd lose this game by 20, now I think the line is about right. Unpredictable, and I wouldn't touch it because either team could win by double digits.

@wavychips575 get in here and help your board clean up the wretched refuse who root for a school they never went to. I'm also bummed that I'm not making it to the game this weekend because I like Bloomington, having spent a lot of time there, and like the Who Szhayrs. Also wanted to hang with you for a while and see what goes on inside that brain of yours.

Reactions: wavychips575
The guy most responsible for bashing your team on this site is a Penn State fan. He usually only shows up here when we play PSU to talk smack about us. For whatever reason he has an apparent dislike for Rutgers. Most IU fans know that we have zero reasons for taking any team lightly. I don't think anybody who closely follows IU thinks that Rutgers will be anything but a dogfight.

We do have tremendous respect for Jerry Kill. We very likely might have hired him as our head coach before he went to Minny. I think following the death of Terry Hoeppner we were afraid of JK's health issues and didn't want to risk going through that again.
Penn State and Rutgers dislike each other enormously. Then again most programs dislike Penn State enormously, but what drives the narrative for Rutgers-PSU is that a lot of New Jersey students went/go to Penn State, and they are the biggest anti-Rutgers people out there, despite living in New Jersey (or perhaps because of it). Penn State fans talk a lot of crap on social media, especially the t-shirt ones like the guy in this thread. From what I've heard, however, Penn State fans are welcoming to visitors to Happy valley, and all of the Rutgers fans that have gone to our games there have had good things to say.

@sct1111 he's an angry t-shirt Penn State fan, so don't take him seriously. If the Hoosiers can stop the run, which isn't an easy thing to do, we are dead in the water. Two weeks ago I thought we'd lose this game by 20, now I think the line is about right. Unpredictable, and I wouldn't touch it because either team could win by double digits.

@wavychips575 get in here and help your board clean up the wretched refuse who root for a school they never went to. I'm also bummed that I'm not making it to the game this weekend because I like Bloomington, having spent a lot of time there, and like the Who Szhayrs. Also wanted to hang with you for a while and see what goes on inside that brain of yours.
Wtf am j????? Are you really not going because this is the first game I’m going to in years.

im hammered at hooters

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
IU has a ton to play for: A third consecutive bowl, which has happened one time ever. Five straight over Purdue, which has never happened. And a shot at a second winning season in 25 years. You would think our fans would be enthusiastic about that, especially since we’ve been in this exact position each of the last two years. But apparently they’re more concerned about melting.
Just for the record, RBB: I'm not worried about melting. I know I'll float.
:)

Wtf am j????? Are you really not going because this is the first game I’m going to in years.

im hammered at hooters
"Hammered At Hooters" will be the name of the first chapter of your book. I cannot wait to read who gets fired after its publication. You bring the big stick, my dawg!

Reactions: wavychips575
Penn State and Rutgers dislike each other enormously. Then again most programs dislike Penn State enormously, but what drives the narrative for Rutgers-PSU is that a lot of New Jersey students went/go to Penn State, and they are the biggest anti-Rutgers people out there, despite living in New Jersey (or perhaps because of it). Penn State fans talk a lot of crap on social media, especially the t-shirt ones like the guy in this thread. From what I've heard, however, Penn State fans are welcoming to visitors to Happy valley, and all of the Rutgers fans that have gone to our games there have had good things to say.

from our standpoint.. Rutgers is absolute joke.. we like having an FCS team in the BIG.. its an extra home game for PSU, OSU, and UM. UM had a nice home game at Maryland last week. Rutgers should be thankful that they are not playing army and East Carolina anymore. There is a good chance that PSU, OSU, and UM will always be more relevant than RU in NYC.. as will Notre Dame.

from our standpoint.. Rutgers is absolute joke.. we like having an FCS team in the BIG.. its an extra home game for PSU, OSU, and UM. UM had a nice home game at Maryland last week. Rutgers should be thankful that they are not playing army and East Carolina anymore. There is a good chance that PSU, OSU, and UM will always be more relevant than RU in NYC.. as will Notre Dame.
We are thankful to be in the B1G, no question about it. And from our own standpoint, we know what we have been and how far we have to go, so you're not exactly bringing deep extrapolations to light with this. Even with our inclusion in the B1G, we received $30mm/year less than everyone else, so the little engine that could is the little engine that has to make up a shit-ton of ground. Even with that you still almost lost to us three years ago, so give it time and your favorite t-shirt school will not be taking Jersey boys from us.

Since you speak from "our standpoint," as you say, what year did you graduate from PSU, and which campus did you attend?

We are thankful to be in the B1G, no question about it. And from our own standpoint, we know what we have been and how far we have to go, so you're not exactly bringing deep extrapolations to light with this. Even with our inclusion in the B1G, we received $30mm/year less than everyone else, so the little engine that could is the little engine that has to make up a shit-ton of ground. Even with that you still almost lost to us three years ago, so give it time and your favorite t-shirt school will not be taking Jersey boys from us.

Since you speak from "our standpoint," as you say, what year did you graduate from PSU, and which campus did you attend?
One day soon we will get a full share of B1G money, at which point our ascension begins. We have the fertile recruiting ground in the market that rewards winning better and faster than any place on the planet. We are living in the preface. Our rise will come at PSU’s expense more than any other program. He’s right to be scared.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Not very many IU fans are taking you guys lightly and not all the posts here are from IU fans. With the weather conditions likely for Saturday it is going to take away our one big advantage. Whoever can run the ball and stop the run will win this game.

IUs "one big advantage" in this game is their Defense and weather does not take that away.

Reactions: ESalum86
One day soon we will get a full share of B1G money, at which point our ascension begins. We have the fertile recruiting ground in the market that rewards winning better and faster than any place on the planet. We are living in the preface. Our rise will come at PSU’s expense more than any other program. He’s right to be scared.
Hey can you guys not do this crap on our board? Also, no one is scared of Rutgers. Why would PSU be afraid of Rutgers? Everyone else in the conference already gets the full share of money and is investing while you guys continue to fall behind.

Even Rutgers beat writers are complaining about the spread, it must be something in NJ water.
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...na_a_surprisingly_big.html#incart_river_index
They said considering common opponents, it was even more surprising, and only cited Maryland as a common opponent (even though Rutgers had the advantage there by playing at home and Maryland had another QB go down). Even though that still might be a small point for Rutgers, it also ignores other common opponents (OSU, Mich) where IU was incredibly more competitive than Rutgers. And that IU was competitive with a good MSU and won against a bowl team in UVA whereas Rutgers has been shellacked by any team capable of getting to a bowl.

Rutgers is certainly capable of winning this game, but it will likely take a bunch of mistakes by IU (which are of course plausible from what we have seen this year).

IUs "one big advantage" in this game is their Defense and weather does not take that away.

I was speaking offensively as their pass defense is not nearly as good as the run defense. In a game where passing is not much of a threat they can load the box as well. Alternatively their passing offense is not very good anyway.

I was speaking offensively as their pass defense is not nearly as good as the run defense. In a game where passing is not much of a threat they can load the box as well. Alternatively their passing offense is not very good anyway.

Neither is IU's. The key IMO will be limiting their run game and having at least the running success IU saw last week. From a passing standpoint RL will need to find his crossing routes and soft corners whil not throwing to Rutgers.

ADVERTISEMENT