ADVERTISEMENT

IU # 11 in Team Recruiting 2020

There's no doubt Archie can recruit, but he needs to show he can develop talent. Smith, Durham, Phin, etc.; these guys have been the same players year after year without improving on their weaknesses. We will need one of them to take the next step in their development before we are ready to compete next season.
How do you know that Durhams ceiling is any higher than averaging 9-10 ppg? That isn't too shabby and it is likely he will never get beyond that range. I thought Smith would be a double figure scorer. It took him longer to get there, but he could continue to improve his game.Neither have regressed from year to year. Steady improvement is a good thing.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
The fan base hasn’t been lost. Once again, you’re not part of the fan base.

There is still a waiting list for season tickets and the TV/Radio ratings still kill it. Not sure what was meant by "win back"...

In fact, Scott needs to sell 1,500 of those student tix to young alumni and the general public,,,but I digress.

I wasn't talking about Durham improving from 8.3 ppg to 9.8 or Smith going from 8.2 ppg to 10.4; that's just a player's natural progression as they get older and get more experience. What I'm talking about is a player like Vic or Morgan who were able to transform their games and become breakout stars. Can you really say that Durham or Smith got that much better between their soph and jr seasons?
Morgan blew up under CAM... So you just destroyed your argument.

Patently false.

Durham has gotten better every single year.

Smith has gotten better every year, and if anything has proven to be a consistent 2-way player and very underrated defender.

Phinisee is the one player who hasn’t although I suspect nagging injuries have kept him from doing so. But with Lander behind him, he has no other choice but to improve or risk seek his minutes decline.
I agree with your observations here but guys like Durham and Smith will never be elite players. They just aren’t skilled enough, especially with the ball, to become really good players. Arch has done the best he could with them to make them serviceable players. Their playing relatively a lot of minutes was purely a reflection of the weaknesses of our roster. I expect Al will play fewer minutes now due to our strengthening backcourt pieces and Smith def saw that his minutes would be decreasing as Jerome, Race and some of the newbies are going to be on the floor.

I agree with your observations here but guys like Durham and Smith will never be elite players. They just aren’t skilled enough, especially with the ball, to become really good players. Arch has done the best he could with them to make them serviceable players. Their playing relatively a lot of minutes was purely a reflection of the weaknesses of our roster. I expect Al will play fewer minutes now due to our strengthening backcourt pieces and Smith def saw that his minutes would be decreasing as Jerome, Race and some of the newbies are going to be on the floor.
Nail on head. Spot on!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT