ADVERTISEMENT

IU # 11 in Team Recruiting 2020

Archie Miller’s first three Indiana recruiting classes:

Three consecutive Indiana Mr. Basketballs for the first time in IU history (Romeo Langford, Trayce Jackson-Davis, Anthony Leal)

Top-ranked Big Ten recruit all 3 years: Romeo Langford 2018, Trayce Jackson-Davis 2019, Khristian Lander 2020

Every signee in all 3 classes a national top-150 player

The foundation has been built! Archie has a plan and has stuck to it.

Three consecutive Indiana Mr. Basketballs for the first time in IU history (Romeo Langford, Trayce Jackson-Davis, Anthony Leal)

Top-ranked Big Ten recruit all 3 years: Romeo Langford 2018, Trayce Jackson-Davis 2019, Khristian Lander 2020

Recruiting hasn't been the problem, wins on the other hand...

Hopefully this is the year!

26-32, 6th, 9th, 11th.

Reactions: fpeaugh
Yea 26-32 will happen to a lot of coaches building a program! Thanks for the info and looking at the positives.

Reactions: Sassy61
Yea 26-32 will happen to a lot of coaches building a program! Thanks for the info and looking at the positives.
It happens to some, especially if they’re not quite ready for prime time. And, obviously, those results are acceptable to a growing segment of the increasingly apathetic fan base. Of this I am positive.

Reactions: fpeaugh
So what’s acceptable for you in a coaches first three seasons. Let’s keep in mind miller has lost his best players after each season. Also look at how good the big ten has been. The team is getting better be happy or cheer for someone else. You’re either not a fan or very unrealistic in your expectations.

So what’s acceptable for you in a coaches first three seasons. Let’s keep in mind miller has lost his best players after each season. Also look at how good the big ten has been. The team is getting better be happy or cheer for someone else. You’re either not a fan or very unrealistic in your expectations.

We obviously know he would have fired:

-Beilein (21-33)
-Bennett (21-27)
-Wright (21-27)
-Donovan (21-27)

Thank God he’s in no position of power to make that call.

There's no doubt Archie can recruit, but he needs to show he can develop talent. Smith, Durham, Phin, etc.; these guys have been the same players year after year without improving on their weaknesses. We will need one of them to take the next step in their development before we are ready to compete next season.

There's no doubt Archie can recruit, but he needs to show he can develop talent. Smith, Durham, Phin, etc.; these guys have been the same players year after year without improving on their weaknesses. We will need one of them to take the next step in their development before we are ready to compete next season.

Patently false.

Durham has gotten better every single year.

Smith has gotten better every year, and if anything has proven to be a consistent 2-way player and very underrated defender.

Phinisee is the one player who hasn’t although I suspect nagging injuries have kept him from doing so. But with Lander behind him, he has no other choice but to improve or risk seek his minutes decline.

Patently false.

Durham has gotten better every single year.

Smith has gotten better every year, and if anything has proven to be a consistent 2-way player and very underrated defender.

Phinisee is the one player who hasn’t although I suspect nagging injuries have kept him from doing so. But with Lander behind him, he has no other choice but to improve or risk seek his minutes decline.

You are right. The statistics each year support your statements. Phinisee has also improved from frosh to soph year statistically. That rickyroe post was just ignorant. The TEAM stats have also improved EACH year. Archie is doing his job, and doing it the right way to ensure long-term success.

-Beilein (21-33)
-Bennett (21-27)
-Wright (21-27)
-Donovan (21-27)

None of those guys walked into something as good as Miller. On the other hand, the lowered expectations will give him plenty of time. And I never called for him to be fired, I just want a higher achieving program than do you.

You are right. The statistics each year support your statements. Phinisee has also improved from frosh to soph year statistically. That rickyroe post was just ignorant. The TEAM stats have also improved EACH year. Archie is doing his job, and doing it the right way to ensure long-term success.

I wasn't talking about Durham improving from 8.3 ppg to 9.8 or Smith going from 8.2 ppg to 10.4; that's just a player's natural progression as they get older and get more experience. What I'm talking about is a player like Vic or Morgan who were able to transform their games and become breakout stars. Can you really say that Durham or Smith got that much better between their soph and jr seasons?

I wasn't talking about Durham improving from 8.3 ppg to 9.8 or Smith going from 8.2 ppg to 10.4; that's just a player's natural progression as they get older and get more experience. What I'm talking about is a player like Vic or Morgan who were able to transform their games and become breakout stars. Can you really say that Durham or Smith got that much better between their soph and jr seasons?

Entirely better. Did either take quantum leaps? No, but that’s not what you said either. You said each of them had been the same player every year and not improved their weaknesses. That’s patently false.

Justin Smith was an absolute cancer on offense his sophomore year. Yes he statistically improved but that’s not what I was talking about either. Justin was actually incorporated in the offense as he actually played a role. He sat screens. He cut. Didn’t stall the offense with poor shot selection or turnovers. FT % improved dramatically. He became a functioning player on offense. That doesn’t even account on the other end of the floor where he was genuinely IU’s best on-ball defender. That was non-existent his sophomore year.

Last edited:
The same people swore Tom Crean was building an elite program as well. For 8 years. Let me know when we can beat Rutgers and finish top 10 in the conference.

Morgan made his leap forward under Miller.

Lol.

Yeah - all those guys inherited teams worse than a team that lost 3 players to the NBA / Europe and tied for 10th in their conference. :rolleyes:

And you think you know basketball? :D
More excuses for losing from you. That’s what we expect from the likes of you with greatly lowered expectations. And I certainly know much more about IU basketball than do you.

More excuses for losing from you. That’s what we expect from the likes of you with greatly lowered expectations. And I certainly know much more about IU basketball than do you.

what is your point in this? It seems you believe IU is not at a level that they should be. This next year should be the only thing that matters now right? No basketball until then, so will IU be good enough for your standards next year.

what are those standards? I’ll gladly bet you we are top 4 in conference, achieve a top 15 AP ranking during the season, are a top 5 seed, and make it to the sweet 16.

pick any of those statements you disagree with and name your bet. If you won’t bet, then what is your point? Just running your mouth with no expectations of backing it up in any form?

No excuses, just facts.

You stated none of those 4 coaches walked into a situation as good as Archie. And, once again, when called out for you blatant stupidity you try to deflect. Typical Ord . . .

The team was 11th this past season but was on it's way for the NCAA tourney so this past season was his best team. Progress is slow but is happening. I don't know if Archie is going to get the job done in the end but I think this next season will be telling on evaluating whether he is the guy. A real good season and the higher ranked recruits will notice.

Huh?

And you base that on??

His play down the stretch that season after making it into the starting lineup. The last 9 games he scored 10.8 points as compared to the 4.8 ppg he was averaging in Big Ten play before that. Anyone who watched Juwan play at the end of 2016-17 could see he was starting to put it all together.

It happens to some, especially if they’re not quite ready for prime time. And, obviously, those results are acceptable to a growing segment of the increasingly apathetic fan base. Of this I am positive.
Or they are building a program with their new players. Context matters.

Reactions: jwalk8183

-Beilein (21-33)
-Bennett (21-27)
-Wright (21-27)
-Donovan (21-27)

I have few, if any, opinions about Coach Miller. No cares one way or the other. However, I thought I'd throw this into the discussion. The overall record, after three years, should be less of a concern than the way the program is trending. Consider this comparison to Coach Bennett:
Year #1 15 - 16 (5 - 11)
Year #2 16 - 15 (7 - 9)
Year #3 20 - 12 (9 - 7)
Miller:
Year #1 16 - 15 (9 - 9)
Year #2 19 - 16 (8 - 12)
Year #3 20 - 12 (9 - 11)

Also, it is worth noting that Coach Bennett had roster issues during this period. By the end of his first season, a number of Leitao's players had either been dismissed or left the team, including the leading scorer (Sylvan Landesberg was dismissed by Bennett for cutting classes.) Evidently, more than a few were uninterested in playing in the new schemes. Also, by the end of his third semester at UVa, 4 of the six recruits in his first class, as well as the top recruit in Leitao's last class, had transferred out of the program. These included three Top 100 recruits. Just some food for thought.

Last edited:
I have few, if any, opinions about Coach Miller. No cares one way or the other. However, I thought I'd throw this into the discussion. The overall record, after three years, should be less of a concern than the way the program is trending. Consider this comparison to Coach Bennett:
Year #1 15 - 16 (5 - 11)
Year #2 16 - 15 (7 - 9)
Year #3 20 - 12 (9 - 7)
Miller:
Year #1 16 - 15 (9 - 9)
Year #2 19 - 16 (8 - 12)
Year #3 20 - 12 (9 - 11)

Also, it is worth noting that Coach Bennett had roster issues during this period. By the end of his first season, a number of Leitao's players had either been dismissed or left the team, including the leading scorer (Sylvan Landesberg was dismissed by Bennett for cutting classes.) Evidently, more than a few were uninterested in playing in the new schemes. Also, by the end of his third semester at UVa, 4 of the six recruits in his first class, as well as the top recruit in Leitao's last class, had transferred out of the program. These included three Top 100 recruits. Just some food for thought.

It's really just semantics as I was illustrating that first ballot HoFers struggled out of the gate. I wouldn't use Archie's conference record as the trajectory of the program. The 9-9 record in year 1 is extremely misleading due to the B10 being as weak as it's ever been just as the 9-11 record this year is misleading given the strength of the conference. 2 games separated 4th place and 10th place. But Archie's team have progressively gotten better each year by every single analytical measure. His teams may not be progressing at the pace that everybody wants, and complaints and frustrations are certainly warranted, but make no mistake, his teams are improving year by year. Given that Archie will have not only his most talented team next year but also his most experienced team, its reasonable to conclude we should see yet another increase in performance.

Year #1 15 - 16 (5 - 11)
Year #2 16 - 15 (7 - 9)
Year #3 20 - 12 (9 - 7)
Miller:
Year #1 16 - 15 (9 - 9)
Year #2 19 - 16 (8 - 12)
Year #3 20 - 12 (9 - 11)

For every Bennett there are 20 coaches who failed and were fired.

For every Bennett there are 20 coaches who failed and were fired.

And surely if Archie fails, he'll meet the same fate. That doesn't negate the fact that Tony Bennett (among other HoF caliber coaches) took a few years before they hit the ground running.

Reactions: minneman
And surely if Archie fails, he'll meet the same fate. That doesn't negate the fact that Tony Bennett (among other HoF caliber coaches) took a few years before they hit the ground running.
I want to avoid another prolonged 9 year fiasco like we did with our last failed coach. It needs to happen next year and move on.

ADVERTISEMENT