ADVERTISEMENT

IU’s Thompson, Lillard Named to 2016 MAC Hermann Trophy Watch List

snowling

Hall of Famer
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Indiana University senior midfielder Tanner Thompson and junior defender Grant Lillard were two of 30 NCAA Division I Men's Soccer players named to the MAC Hermann Trophy Watch List, the Missouri Athletic Club and the NSCAA announced on Wednesday.

Indiana is one of just four schools in the nation to have two players on the prestigious list, joining UCLA, Seattle and Boston University. Thompson and Lillard are two of three Big Ten players on the list, along with Rutgers' Jason Wright.

"Both Tanner and Grant are very deserving to be preseason finalists for the prestigious MAC Hermann Trophy," IU head coachTodd Yeagley said. "They are both exceptional players and we are proud of the contributions they have made to IU Soccer. I expect them both to have outstanding fall seasons."

Thompson, a semifinalist for the award in 2014, was named Third-Team All-America by both the NSCAA and Top Drawer Soccer last season. The Loomis, Calif. native started all 21 matches for the Hoosiers, totaling three goals while leading the Big Ten with nine assists. Along with the All-America distinction, Thompson was also named First-Team All-Big Ten, Big Ten Midfielder of the Year and First-Team All-Midwest Region.

Lillard, who was named the best defender in the nation in a 2016 preseason poll coaches poll conducted by Top Drawer soccer, earned First-Team All-Big Ten and First-Team All-Midwest Region honors in 2015 for Indiana. Lillard started all 21 matches for the Hoosiers, helping anchor a backline that recorded 10 shutouts. The Hinsdale, Ill. also totaled four goals and five assists.

The MAC Hermann Trophy is the most prestigious individual award in college soccer presented annually to one male and female athlete. The winners will be announced Friday, Jan. 6, 2017, during the trophy presentation banquet at the Missouri Athletic Club in St. Louis.

The lists are compiled by the NSCAA Men's and Women's NCAA Division I All-America Committees, based on analysis of returning All-America and All-Region players, as well as any prominent newcomers.

Near the end of the collegiate regular season, NCAA Division I coaches whose programs are current NSCAA College Services members will vote and the lists will be narrowed down to the top 15 players. College soccer fans will also have the opportunity to participate in the selection process, by voting for their favorite semifinalist in November at the MAC Hermann Trophy website, managed by LockerDome.

From that pool of 30, six finalists (three men, three women) will be chosen for the award. The winners will be announced in January.

For all the latest on Indiana University men's soccer, be sure to follow the team on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

http://iuhoosiers.com/news/2016/7/2...ed-to-2016-mac-hermann-trophy-watch-list.aspx

Go Hoosiers!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT