ADVERTISEMENT

It's Thad time right?

elijawon

Junior
May 20, 2009
The next hire needs to start with Matta in my opinion. If he is healthy and wants to get back in the rodeo that is.

Reactions: wi_hoosier
That would be my top realistic choice.

I'll call him "realistic" when I learn that he's hungry to get back in the game and feels physically up to it. Coaching a major college basketball team is probably just as taxing on one's body as it is on their time and psyche. Assuming that the story out of OSU over Thad's departure was the complete accurate story (and I have no reason to believe otherwise), then he must've been in a pretty bad way to step aside as he did.

That was only 4 years ago now. I assume he's got all the money he would ever need.

But, yeah, if he's game -- then I'm all in favor.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
I'll call him "realistic" when I learn that he's hungry to get back in the game and feels physically up to it. Coaching a major college basketball team is probably just as taxing on one's body as it is on their time and psyche. Assuming that the story out of OSU over Thad's departure was the complete accurate story (and I have no reason to believe otherwise), then he must've been in a pretty bad way to step aside as he did.

That was only 4 years ago now. I assume he's got all the money he would ever need.

Urban Meyer also retired from OSU and didn’t plan on coaching again. Matta would be a huge get if we could pull it off.

Urban Meyer also retired from OSU and didn’t plan on coaching again. Matta would be a huge get if we could pull it off.

Uh, very different circumstances there. The fact that they both coached at OSU is irrelevant. We all know why Urban Meyer left Ohio State. And it had nothing to do with wanting to stop coaching, let alone any physical ailment.

Obviously, Matta would be a huge get. But only if he really is up to the task. He was very up front 4 years ago that he was not able to give 100% to the team because of his chronic pain. I totally get that. He was skipping out on recruiting trips, among other things. Good for him for being honest about it and putting his health first, really. It would've been selfish for him to stay in the job without fully being able to perform the duties.

Uh, very different circumstances there. The fact that they both coached at OSU is irrelevant. We all know why Urban Meyer left Ohio State. And it had nothing to do with wanting to stop coaching, let alone any physical ailment.

Obviously, Matta would be a huge get. But only if he really is up to the task. He was very up front 4 years ago that he was not able to give 100% to the team because of his chronic pain. I totally get that. He was skipping out on recruiting trips, among other things. Good for him for being honest about it and putting his health first, really. It would've been selfish for him to stay in the job without fully being able to perform the duties.
Why? Do not follow college football.

Awesome...the guy that Archie worked for/was groomed by is the guy to ultimately replace him...years after having not coached...brilliant plan.
Lol have you seen Matta’s resume? There is no way you can spin that into a bad hire.

He can’t go on recruiting trips, amongst other things. Feel bad for the guy - his back is/was jacked bad. Unless something changed?

I don't recall what the official story was on Thad's departure from OSU, but I did know a guy who worked at IU-who had a buddy who worked in OSU athletics at the time. He said the AD told Thad in March of that year to fire his assistants and get some better recruiters in there. Thad didn't follow through, so they fired him in June. I'm not sure if Thad was being loyal to his assistants or just got lazy, but that was the final straw that cost him his job.

Matta is only few years older than me for ****s sake what huge task, we're not hiring for star trek are we, jesus, and if we were? Would anybody trust AM over Picard, Kirk, Data, etc. Story has been told.

He can’t go on recruiting trips, amongst other things. Feel bad for the guy - his back is/was jacked bad. Unless something changed?
I think its changed, and the guy is not that old ... can't know till you ask and it'd be sure a shit fire better than we can expect otherwise

Why? Do not follow college football.

I guess we don't all know. :D

The short version of the story is that Urban Meyer had an assistant coach who was a wife beater. He knew about it and did nothing about it....until the assistant was eventually charged criminally. At that time, it came out that both Meyer and AD Gene Smith were previously aware of the coach's domestic abuse.

Meyer was suspended by the university and "retired" after that season. Gene Smith was also suspended -- but, to my knowledge, is still there.

Waaaaay to early to talk about coaches..
Anyone who know's anything..
It's two year's away ..Bare minimum..
Absolutely zero chance they fire Archie this or next season..

So Matta is an elite coach? Who else is on your elite coach list. Would love to see that list.
I would call Matta just below elite. There are very few elite coaches.

Edit: Actually after looking back at Matta’s record, he’s definitely elite imo.

Matta might be getting the itch back. I read where he actually interviewed for the Georgia job in ‘18 and changed his mind.

I would call Matta just below elite. There are very few elite coaches.

Edit: Actually after looking back at Matta’s record, he’s definitely elite imo.

Matta recruited some great classes while at OSU. He got great players from Indiana but he was also recruiting against Mike Davis. Matta could recruit at IU. Anyone can land high level recruits at IU. Crean landed several. Archie has landed Langford and Jackson-Davis. Lander looked to be headed for a top ranking next year if he hadn’t reclassified. Of course, Archie hasn’t accomplished shit with these recruits, but still.

Reactions: TrojanFan004
I guess we don't all know. :D

The short version of the story is that Urban Meyer had an assistant coach who was a wife beater. He knew about it and did nothing about it....until the assistant was eventually charged criminally. At that time, it came out that both Meyer and AD Gene Smith were previously aware of the coach's domestic abuse.

Meyer was suspended by the university and "retired" after that season. Gene Smith was also suspended -- but, to my knowledge, is still there.
I heard that Urban did alert everyone properly, through the correct channels and hid nothing ... and was used as the scapegoat. When he was suspended, he just said F it.

I’m sure many at Texas thought they couldn’t afford to buy out their FB coach...

Thad couldn't even walk last time he was on the sideline, how is he going to be healthy/motivated enough to turn the IU program around?

10+ years ago maybe but not anymore.

Thad couldn't even walk last time he was on the sideline, how is he going to be healthy/motivated enough to turn the IU program around?

10+ years ago maybe but not anymore.
it's hard to find a "can't miss" coach who has more than just a few years ahead of him.... We like to think we can attract anybody we want with the "Indiana brand" but I think it's so tarnished it's going to take a mini-miracle to turn things around at this point. If we could get 5-8 years out of a proven coach of Matta's caliber, that might allow us to then attract the kind of coach that Chris Beard is... right now why in the world would Beard leave what he was going with the Red Raiders to come to our dumpster fire??

I heard that Urban did alert everyone properly, through the correct channels and hid nothing ... and was used as the scapegoat. When he was suspended, he just said F it.
Urban was about as slimy as a college coach can get. Definitely did not have good cultures at the programs he coached. Great football coach but his programs lacked integrity and character.

it's hard to find a "can't miss" coach who has more than just a few years ahead of him.... We like to think we can attract anybody we want with the "Indiana brand" but I think it's so tarnished it's going to take a mini-miracle to turn things around at this point. If we could get 5-8 years out of a proven coach of Matta's caliber, that might allow us to then attract the kind of coach that Chris Beard is... right now why in the world would Beard leave what he was going with the Red Raiders to come to our dumpster fire??
I get that and this is a good point but I'm not sure that Thad Matta (who is a shell of his formula self) coming to IU and doing far worse that he did ar Ohio State is going to help.

While considerably better, Thad still deals with pain. I don’t think the stress of being a HC is worth it to him. A shame as he truly understands the game on a very high level. As to the previous interviews, I think those were conducted in no small part due to his contract with OSU that required he attempt to seek a position during the buyout.

Matta recruited some great classes while at OSU. He got great players from Indiana but he was also recruiting against Mike Davis. Matta could recruit at IU. Anyone can land high level recruits at IU. Crean landed several. Archie has landed Langford and Jackson-Davis. Lander looked to be headed for a top ranking next year if he hadn’t reclassified. Of course, Archie hasn’t accomplished shit with these recruits, but still.
He took Oden and Conley away from IU. At least they went to OSU instead of ole glory.

I get that and this is a good point but I'm not sure that Thad Matta (who is a shell of his formula self) coming to IU and doing far worse that he did ar Ohio State is going to help.
You may want to look into Matta. He’s had back surgeries and his back is now fine. He is looking to get back into coaching.

You may want to look into Matta. He’s had back surgeries and his back is now fine. He is looking to get back into coaching.
I wonder why he turned Georgia down? It looks like they offered him the job. This is an important question because did he think he couldn't do the job because of health or was he waiting for a better gig? I will say that Thad would be an upgrade to Miller. He is a real deal coach when he is healthy.

While considerably better, Thad still deals with pain. I don’t think the stress of being a HC is worth it to him. A shame as he truly understands the game on a very high level. As to the previous interviews, I think those were conducted in no small part due to his contract with OSU that required he attempt to seek a position during the buyout.
He could coach us via Zoom from his living room, and it'd be a 100% improvement. Recruit from there too and still 100% improvement.

I wonder why he turned Georgia down? It looks like they offered him the job. This is an important question because did he think he couldn't do the job because of health or was he waiting for a better gig? I will say that Thad would be an upgrade to Miller. He is a real deal coach when he is healthy.
He thought he could do better. He almost took the WSU job in November as well.

UGA is a dead end job if there ever was one. Perfect for Crean

I agree, but if it turns into the shitshow most of us expect, they could pull the trigger and get ahead of things. I don't think they will though, I expect they'll tank and try to finally make a good hire. There's really no way to turn this around. The talent is not there, and won't be, nobody would want this roster hanging around. Total rebuild again, unfortunately. I'm not even sure if AM is so much of a bad coach as a horrible recruite, well no, he's a bad coach too ... need to go wash my mouth out, but it's that bad

Last edited:
Reactions: SoccerSammy
ADVERTISEMENT