ADVERTISEMENT

It's official. Our OC is gone to fresno state.

I cannot criticize the guy for going up. I do wish they would have announced it after the last game. Probably could not keep it a secret that long.
Maybe the kids will really want to send him off with a win.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I cannot criticize the guy for going up. I do wish they would have announced it after the last game. Probably could not keep it a secret that long.
Maybe the kids will really want to send him off with a win.
I doubt he will coach the Bowl game as he needs to work on recruiting for Fresno State. I wish coach Deboer well as I think he is a great coach.

Per Zach Osterman they are trying to work it out so that he will coach in the Gator Bowl. Not guaranteed at this point but they are working on it.

Wouldn't this just be a situation where he shows up a day or two before the game and flies back out the day after the game?

Or is it imperative for him to be involved with all the pre-bowl practices?

Reactions: UncleMark
Wouldn't this just be a situation where he shows up a day or two before the game and flies back out the day after the game?

Both sides need to move on. Get the guys who remain behind the experience of getting the team ready.

No, that's not cool. Good luck to him and all that, but he's the coach at Fresno now. He's forfeited the privilege of coaching IU in the Gator.
I've got to disagree with you on this one, Mark. DeBoer is a primary reason we're in this bowl to begin with.

Coaches frequently hang on for a bowl game after accepting another gig. And it's not like he's thumbed his nose at us with a lateral move or a quick cash grab. He's been offered a head coaching job in another conference. It's tough to turn down such an opportunity.

Precluding DeBoer from coaching IU on Jan 2 would be like biting off your nose to spite your face. I want to win this game. DeBoer as IU's OC, the guy who's been running the offense all season, gives us the best chance of accomplishing that.

No, that's not cool. Good luck to him and all that, but he's the coach at Fresno now. He's forfeited the privilege of coaching IU in the Gator.

Some of you sound like whiney babies. Our best chance to win the Gator Bowl is with Deboer coaching the offense, regardless of whether he does next year or not. Attitudes like this is what's been wrong with IU football (and basketball for that matter) for a long time. You effing go out and win the game by any means necessary, within the rules. Enough of this high horse crap

Some of you sound like whiney babies. Our best chance to win the Gator Bowl is with Deboer coaching the offense, regardless of whether he does next year or not. Attitudes like this is what's been wrong with IU football (and basketball for that matter) for a long time. You effing go out and win the game by any means necessary, within the rules. Enough of this high horse crap

I dont think its a high horse thing, I think its better for the program. Let Hart run the offense, give him a shot.

Okay, if DeBoer is going to be the OC for the Gator, I expect him to be the full time coach from now until Jan 2. If he's just doing it part time while he's getting ramped up in his new job, then I'd prefer the duties go to a guy who will be giving it his full attention.

I don't care if he leaves immediately or coaches in the bowl. The important thing is that he doesn't use his time at IU gathering recruiting material for his new job with IU resources. What would stop him from working on Ramsey to use his grad transfer option to be the starting QB at Fresno State next year?

I haven't heard what Ramsey plans to do after the year, but I expect Penix to be the starter and Ramsey has several options. Two options would have him leaving. I don't see him leaving to start his career with a year of eligibility left. What better situation for both parties than for Ramsey to move with his OC?

I haven't heard what Ramsey plans to do after the year, but I expect Penix to be the starter and Ramsey has several options. Two options would have him leaving. I don't see him leaving to start his career with a year of eligibility left. What better situation for both parties than for Ramsey to move with his OC?
I don't claim to know anything about either of them, but that scenario strikes me as out of character for both. Maybe I'm just naive.

Reactions: bang63
Although it would probably be a bad look for incoming OCs if we don't let Deboer help for the bowl.

I'm surprised it is even a possibility though.

1. I would think deboer feels bad about leaving iu after 1 year. I doubt he's looking into stealing iu players to go with him. That's slimy.
2. He didn't pick ramsey to be iu's starting qb this year.
3. Ramsey said this year when he was a backup he loves this team too much to leave.
4. Ramsey isn't going anywhere.

Although it would probably be a bad look for incoming OCs if we don't let Deboer help for the bowl.

I'm surprised it is even a possibility though.

Good recruiting publicity for DeBoer and Fresno. Will certainly get a ton of mentions during the game from the announcers.

Also, if DeBoer intends to keep most of the current staff in place since he has previously worked with them, he has a lot more free time compared to most new HC hires. If that's the case, he won't need to use up a lot of time trying to build a staff, which will prevent having to essentially start recruiting from scratch, since recruiting contacts are already established

Okay, if DeBoer is going to be the OC for the Gator, I expect him to be the full time coach from now until Jan 2. If he's just doing it part time while he's getting ramped up in his new job, then I'd prefer the duties go to a guy who will be giving it his full attention.
You obviously know nothing a out talent. I bet you're a "if you have time to lean you have time to clean" kind of guy

If he's willing to coach, we'd be stupid to not let him. The object is to not get blown out.

ADVERTISEMENT