ADVERTISEMENT

It's Official: IU did not beat a team with a winning record in 2017

Wasn't it only a few years ago that IU athletics had such buzz around it? What happened?

Fred Glass happened. Spring 2012 to summer 2013 saw some success as did fall 2015 to spring 2016 but it has been downhill since.

Glass bungled the Wilson dismissal and Allen hire and let Crean’s ineptitude wreck the program. Moren turned out to be a crappy coach too.

LOL. Butt hurt much? It's a simple fact I pointed out. But feel free to ignore reality for as long as you want.
Well who gives a sh!t? CTA had a 100% pass from me this year unless we got killed every game. It was quite the opposite we were in every game. This is with CKW players. He is bringing in his kids now and he will still have a pass for awhile. He just brought in a great class so yea lets just bust his balls coz why not??? Go f*ck yourself!

Well who gives a sh!t? CTA had a 100% pass from me this year unless we got killed every game. It was quite the opposite we were in every game. This is with CKW players. He is bringing in his kids now and he will still have a pass for awhile. He just brought in a great class so yea lets just bust his balls coz why not??? Go f*ck yourself!
I don't know what team you watched but we lost 3 games by 4+ TDs and failed to get up for a Bucket game with everything on the line. So, yeah, give CTA a 100% pass because everything is fine and dandy and there are no issues worth discussing. Yeah, let's do that.

I don't know what team you watched but we lost 3 games by 4+ TDs and failed to get up for a Bucket game with everything on the line. So, yeah, give CTA a 100% pass because everything is fine and dandy and there are no issues worth discussing. Yeah, let's do that.
Well guess what discussing it does nothing...NOTHING!!! It doesn't matter, it's water under the bridge, history, ova. All we can do is move forward...Great recruiting class, great transfer yesterday, new strength and conditioning coach. Great looking future as of right now! 2017 = BYE

LOL . . . I did a quick scan of this thread and I was positive it was a basketball thread.

It had the same level of childish bickering, name calling and 'suspect' language that we usually see from Hall of Shame basketball threads.

Reactions: reabhnt and muubell
What are you going to say if we go 5-7 in 2018? "Who cares! It's over! 2018=BYE"
CTA will get this thing figured out! He is making all the right moves so far. In my eyes the glass is half full. Sorry you want to dwell on negatives but the future looks bright IMO! Go take some meds and get your head right OR just live miserable.

You need to go back and watch about 4 decades of IU football to gain some perspective on competitive football. I've watched more IU games than I can count that were completely over by halftime. We're talking being down by 30 points+ with no chance to come back in the 2nd half. Games where the other team scored every possession.
Go back and watch those tapes and you'll see that this program today is not even in the same realm. We went through long stretches having never won a road game.
Allen knows that his team didn't perform. You think he's blind to that? He just fired the strength coach because we could not stay healthy and got pushed around up front.

IU only beat 1 FBS team with a winning record in 2015 and that was WKU from a non-power 5.

IU didn't beat a team with a winning record in 2016.

That's generally the path for teams to minor bowls. They lose to other bowl teams along the way and beat the teams with losing records.

Why didn't you bring this up the previous two seasons?

You need to go back and watch about 4 decades of IU football to gain some perspective on competitive football. I've watched more IU games than I can count that were completely over by halftime. We're talking being down by 30 points+ with no chance to come back in the 2nd half. Games where the other team scored every possession.
Go back and watch those tapes and you'll see that this program today is not even in the same realm. We went through long stretches having never won a road game.
Allen knows that his team didn't perform. You think he's blind to that? He just fired the strength coach because we could not stay healthy and got pushed around up front.

IU only beat 1 FBS team with a winning record in 2015 and that was WKU from a non-power 5.

That's generally the path for teams to minor bowls. They lose to other bowl teams along the way and beat the teams with losing records.

What he said.

A very good reason: This year was all about the #breakthrough. It was hyped up to be way more than it actually was. Smoke and mirrors, man. Smoke and mirrors.

Reactions: fpeaugh
You can say the same thing about Brigham Young's national championship team. They started their season by beating Pittsburgh who was ranked number 3. But Pittsburgh finished with three wins 7 losses in one time. The rest of the season went the same way. A total failure. The only redeeming thing was they won the national championship.

Last edited:
A very good reason: This year was all about the #breakthrough. It was hyped up to be way more than it actually was. Smoke and mirrors, man. Smoke and mirrors.
And Wilson’s first year was #wintoday, we went 1-11, so what ? Are you really dumb enough to think these little slogans guarantee anything ? We are far from the only program to use these type of “slogans”, would you have been happy with this past year if the mantra had been #almostbowl ?

And Wilson’s first year was #wintoday, we went 1-11, so what ? Are you really dumb enough to think these little slogans guarantee anything ? We are far from the only program to use these type of “slogans”, would you have been happy with this past year if the mantra had been #almostbowl ?
#wintoday was about winning everyday, meeting today's challenges, attacking the day, etc.

#wintoday was about winning everyday, meeting today's challenges, attacking the day, etc.
That was the line put out later, but most “fans” didn’t read it that way, I very clearly remember the bitching on this very board about interpreting it as winning on the field.
I remember in 1992 Gary Barnett’s first year “motto” at Northwestern was “Expect Victory”, well, they went 3-8, 2-9, & 3-7-1, before going 10-2 (Rose Bowl) and 9-3. But I suppose they should have given up on him because of the stupid mantra “Expect Victory”.

Last edited:
That was the line put out later, but most “fans” didn’t read it that way, I very clearly remember the bitching on this very board about interpreting it as winning on the field.
I remember in 1992 Gary Barnett’s first year “motto” at Northwestern was “Expect Victory”, well, they went 3-8, 2-9, & 3-7-1, before going 10-2 (Rose Bowl) and 9-3. But I suppose they should have given up on him because of the stupid mantra “Expect Victory”.
I'd love to be where Northwestern is right now.

Reactions: IUgradman
I'd love to be where Northwestern is right now.

A bit of a Northwestern history lesson for ya:

Gary Barnett came to Northwestern in 1992 from the assistant coaching ranks. He had only been a head coach one other time for two years at a tiny school called Fort Lewis, which is a tiny D2 school in Colorado. There was a 10-year gap between that job and his next head coaching job at Northwestern.
Barnett won a total of 8 games in three years starting out at Northwestern.
So, I guess by your standards, Northwestern would've moved on from Gary Barnett in 1994 or sooner and brought in a whole new coaching staff and likely never have a achieved their break through 1995 season.

I get it. You expected guaranteed wins this year due to some slogan. Anybody with a pulse could tell it was going to be a tall order to knock off any of these top tier teams given our QB and losses on the OL. And, the guy that was hyped at RB for 2 years basically ended his career due to medical injuries.

Reactions: 76-1
A bit of a Northwestern history lesson for ya:

Gary Barnett came to Northwestern in 1992 from the assistant coaching ranks. He had only been a head coach one other time for two years at a tiny school called Fort Lewis, which is a tiny D2 school in Colorado. There was a 10-year gap between that job and his next head coaching job at Northwestern.
Barnett won a total of 8 games in three years starting out at Northwestern.
So, I guess by your standards, Northwestern would've moved on from Gary Barnett in 1994 or sooner and brought in a whole new coaching staff and likely never have a achieved their break through 1995 season.

I get it. You expected guaranteed wins this year due to some slogan. Anybody with a pulse could tell it was going to be a tall order to knock off any of these top tier teams given our QB and losses on the OL. And, the guy that was hyped at RB for 2 years basically ended his career due to medical injuries.
Where have I ever called for CTA to be fired? Where? Link, please. There is one coach in particular who I would love to get rid of, and everyone knows who that person is.

Wilson did, most fans did not.
I thought Wilson was really clear in the way he stated it as a daily, pervasive attitude about how to transform the mindset of the program into a winning one. I don't think the fans misunderstood that. Barnett did the same thing at Northwestern. Nobody thought it meant they were going to be good right away since he walked into a mess.

I thought Wilson was really clear in the way he stated it as a daily, pervasive attitude about how to transform the mindset of the program into a winning one. I don't think the fans misunderstood that. Barnett did the same thing at Northwestern. Nobody thought it meant they were going to be good right away since he walked into a mess.
If Wilson was “clear”, then most fans were being unreasonable, just the same as some are with #breakthrough. No guarantees were made, fans were free to interpret as they wish, most are unreasonable.
Yea right on Barnett.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...0301_1_northwestern-len-williams-gary-barnett

The Allen experiment has been a complete debacle and disaster from day 1. The program has come so far the last 5 years that it’s a shame we’re going to let a high school coach and SB Fred just give all of that back overnight.

Allen inherited a team returning 16 starters off back to back bowl appearances and couldn’t even beat Maryland or Purdue. Of course we could correct this mistake and go hire a good young coach but we won’t. We’ll put our heads in the sand for 3 more years and wait for the entire train to derail.

For someone who’s sat through decades of a horrible football program I hate to see this but apparently it’s going to take the entire train upside down off the tracks on fire for people to see it.

Good one. And then there was “Go Wild!”

If Wilson was “clear”, then most fans were being unreasonable, just the same as some are with #breakthrough. No guarantees were made, fans were free to interpret as they wish, most are unreasonable.
Yea right on Barnett.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...0301_1_northwestern-len-williams-gary-barnett
It's really apples and oranges. One is an attitude, the other is about predicting results. Not saying Allen was wrong with "breakthrough", only that he framed the season and came up short. Wonder if he'll continue with it next year.

The Allen experiment has been a complete debacle and disaster from day 1. The program has come so far the last 5 years that it’s a shame we’re going to let a high school coach and SB Fred just give all of that back overnight.

Allen inherited a team returning 16 starters off back to back bowl appearances and couldn’t even beat Maryland or Purdue. Of course we could correct this mistake and go hire a good young coach but we won’t. We’ll put our heads in the sand for 3 more years and wait for the entire train to derail.

For someone who’s sat through decades of a horrible football program I hate to see this but apparently it’s going to take the entire train upside down off the tracks on fire for people to see it.
I'll tell you what a debacle is. A debacle is having a Top 15 (nationally) offense (which Wilson had twice) and not even getting a winning season out of it. The failure to win at least eight in 2015 was a disgrace, and it wasn't just on the defense. With a 25 point lead against Rutgers, for example, they had Sudfeld throwing dangerous passes from IU territory, two of which were picked and led to scores.

Wilson did some good things at IU, and he's a very good OC, but his HC skill set - - including in-game management - - left a lot to be desired. And the reason we went to back to back bowls was because a) Purdue's Hazel-led teams were horrible (and, even then, we barely beat them in 2016); and b) because we had a defense in 2016 (thank you, Tom Allen).

What is the point of your never-ending tirade and crusade against Tom Allen? He'll be here for a while, whether you like it (or him) or not. Deal with it, or find another team that'll give you some enjoyment.

I wouldn't go that far and call Allen a debacle. However, we need better assistant coaches starting with new OC, QB, OL, and S&C coaches. We need to get the best we can, not just Allen's friends doing him a favor. BTN gives us plenty of money. No reason we shouldn't spend it on football.

Yea right on Barnett.
Both slogans have received some "revisionist history" after the losses mounted. The first time I heard KW asked about "Win Today" was pre-season '11, and he replied that IU's talent level was "not that far behind", which it actually wasn't, considering they had missed a bowl by one play the year before (an endzone drop by our best player). He also mentioned the seniors on the team who had never been bowling and did not have years to wait for a turnaround.

It was only after losing a bazillion games that people started saying "Coach never meant actually winning GAMES, the dumb fans only thought that!" Matt Weaver even tried to claim once that KW never actually said 'Win Today" - even though there was a whole story in SI about it.

The "breakthrough" thing was similar. The interview that I saw that CTA was asked about it, he said the team was so close the last two years to winning so many big games, and just needed to learn to FINISH. He also said the OSU game was the biggest opening game in history (ad nauseum). Again, after losing a bunch of games..."the fans thought we meant actually winning GAMES?!! Clearly, we were referring to how we do things, approach the game, etc."

I do totally understand the "win each day/practice/rep" application, which has been championed probably most famously by Nick Saban, but it's insulting to say IU fans are completely fabricating any meaning that would apply to actually winning games on the field when you listen to how the coaches talk about them when the record stands at 0-0.

Last edited:
Both slogans have received some "revisionist history" after the losses mounted. The first time I heard KW asked about "Win Today" was pre-season '11, and he replied that IU's talent level was "not that far behind", which it actually wasn't, considering they had missed a bowl by one play the year before (an endzone drop by our best player). He also mentioned the seniors on the team who had never been bowling and deserved a quick turnaround.

It was only after losing a bazillion games that people started saying "Coach never meant actually winning GAMES, the dumb fans only thought that!" Matt Weaver even tried to claim once that KW never actually said 'Win Today" - even though there was a whole story in SI about it.

The "breakthrough" thing was similar. The interview that I saw that CTA was asked about it, he said the team was so close the last two years to winning so many big games, and just needed to learn to FINISH. He also said the OSU game was the biggest opening game in history (ad nauseum). Again, after losing a bunch of games..."the fans thought we meant actually winning GAMES?!! Clearly, we were referring to how we do things, approach the game, etc."

I do totally understand the "win each day/practice/rep" application, which has been championed probably most famously by Nick Saban, but it's insulting to say IU fans are completely fabricating any meaning that would apply to actually winning games on the field when you listen to how the coaches talk about them when the record stands at 0-0.
Very good points.

It's really apples and oranges. One is an attitude, the other is about predicting results. Not saying Allen was wrong with "breakthrough", only that he framed the season and came up short. Wonder if he'll continue with it next year.
That’s a load of crap, depending upon ones interpretation, both could be framed as an attitude/mindset or both could be framed as the season came up short. You can’t have it both ways just to fit your narrative.

That’s a load of crap, depending upon ones interpretation, both could be framed as an attitude/mindset or both could be framed as the season came up short. You can’t have it both ways just to fit your narrative.
"Win the day" was like Fleck's worn out "Row the Boat" while "Breakthrough" was about this season, which is where it was apples and oranges. No matter, just a discussion for the long off season.

Both slogans have received some "revisionist history" after the losses mounted. The first time I heard KW asked about "Win Today" was pre-season '11, and he replied that IU's talent level was "not that far behind", which it actually wasn't, considering they had missed a bowl by one play the year before (an endzone drop by our best player). He also mentioned the seniors on the team who had never been bowling and did not have years to wait for a turnaround.

Don’t disagree, my point from the beginning was many teams have mantras/slogans for their team, often they aren’t lived up to in the fans eyes. CTA was no different than CKW in that regard in year one , that doesn’t mean he won’t “breakthrough” next year or the year after . Much the same as Gary Barnett “broke through” 4 years into his tenure of “Expect Victory”.

Reactions: Fosterharper
ADVERTISEMENT