ADVERTISEMENT

It's Not That Complicated

SixthFlagComing

Freshman
Dec 15, 2012
IU is currently one of the two best defensive teams in the conference and one of the two worst offensive teams in the conference.

Archie deserves a heckuva lot of credit for fixing the defensive dumpster fire he inherited from Crean. The question that now exists is, can he fix the offense and still play defense at a high level.

It's not that complicated.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
IU is currently one of the two best defensive teams in the conference and one of the two worst offensive teams in the conference.

Archie deserves a heckuva lot of credit for fixing the defensive dumpster fire he inherited from Crean. The question that now exists is, can he fix the offense and still play defense at a high level.

No, you are correct it is not complicated.
Unfortunately he has not built the roster to play O at a high level.

Reactions: kmathum
The only thing that matters in the end is W-L.... Crean's defenses were atrocious, and when he didn't have a knock down shooter (can we say 2014 and most of '15??), his offenses were also difficult to watch due to all the turnovers. But 3 of those teams won at a high level. Archie's defensive prowess isn't leading to W's at this point. I don't think any of us are going to put on a t-shirt "We finished 13th in the B1G but we had the 2nd stiffest defense".

Reactions: mk23

The answer is obvious, and seeing it is the easy part. Actually landing those kids you mentioned, that will elevate our depth and scoring issues, while also maintaining or elevating our defensive culture and strength...evidently isn’t easy for Archie. Probably wouldn’t be for anyone. But then, if it were easy, the job wouldn’t pay millions of dollars a year.

In Archies defense, I’m guessing he thought he was addressing some of the issues with guys like Romeo, Phinisse, Anderson, Hunter, Leal, Lander, etc... and he certainly didn’t bank on Brunk to get back issues.

Reactions: MrBing
Part of the good defensive numbers are due to lack of offense and taking up the whole shot clock and not getting a good shot
I have been pretty negative overall... but we definitely do look better on defense. So I think there is some truth to the improvement.

I have been pretty negative overall... but we definitely do look better on defense. So I think there is some truth to the improvement.
I agree but it still helps the opponents PPG to be lower when you limit the number of possessions

I agree but it still helps the opponents PPG to be lower when you limit the number of possessions
Disagree. This defense is legitimate and I really like to see it. I was a defend and rebound first player in high school. I liked to score like most players but most of my scores were around the basket cleaning up the trash and on pick and rolls. Our team philosophy was defend, rebound and don't turn it over and we won a lot of games that way. I love IU's defense. Others have said the same thing but our problem is missing shots we should make. This team would look good offensively too if they made shots at only an average rate.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

The other day when I looked IU was 9th in 2 pt%, 11th in 3 pt %, 12th in FT%, 12 in total assists, 14th in A/TO margin, and 14th in PPG.

3rd in Opp. ppg

11th in rebound margin

27th in ESPN power index, 23rd in Pomeroy.

Now, my question for those who are really, really into these power stats......is there any easy explanation for how rebounding factors into the offensive & defensive eff. #s?

Because, in general, it's easy to see visually we're good on D, bad on O. What's really concerning to me is that we also suck at rebounding.....that is, we're small, can't shoot, and can't rebound.

Edit: Another way of saying this.....if we suddenly went from a very poor rebounding team to an average rebounding team, in both off & def rebounding, would the off & def eff #s both go up about the same %?

Last edited:
Reactions: mk23
Disagree. This defense is legitimate and I really like to see it. I was a defend and rebound first player in high school. I liked to score like most players but most of my scores were around the basket cleaning up the trash and on pick and rolls. Our team philosophy was defend, rebound and don't turn it over and we won a lot of games that way. I love IU's defense. Others have said the same thing but our problem is missing shots we should make. This team would look good offensively too if they made shots at only an average rate.
Thanks for reliving your glory days for the rest of us... LOL

The other day when I looked IU was 9th in 2 pt%, 11th in 3 pt %, 12th in FT%, 12 in total assists, 14th in A/TO margin, and 14th in PPG.

3rd in Opp. ppg

11th in rebound margin

27th in ESPN power index, 23rd in Pomeroy.

Now, my question for those who are really, really into these power stats......is there any easy explanation for how rebounding factors into the offensive & defensive eff. #s?

Because, in general, it's easy to see visually we're good on D, bad on O. What's really concerning to me is that we also suck at rebounding.....that is, we're small, can't shoot, and can't rebound.

Edit: Another way of saying this.....if we suddenly went from a very poor rebounding team to an average rebounding team, in both off & def rebounding, would the off & def eff #s both go up about the same %?
Better rebounding will help on both ends.

stupid post— Archie can’t coach defense or offense. Ayo Dosunmu was left wide open all game and scored 30. Wake up

stupid post— Archie can’t coach defense or offense. Ayo Dosunmu was left wide open all game and scored 30. Wake up
IU is playing very good defense and that's obvious through the eye test and the stats.

IU is playing very good defense and that's obvious through the eye test and the stats.

Obviously true.....but don't you think that Archie should have a gimmick D in the bag for that situation? A box & 1 or some other variation. Every close Illinois game I've seen he's taken all the shots at the end....it hasn't always worked out so well for them but you know it's coming. Shouldn't they have worked harder trying to deny him the ball or to give it up?

LOL! That wasn't my intention. But I am happy that I can still dunk. It's getting harder to do in my very late 30s.
Haha. I’m 5’10”, 50 years old and could barely touch the net when I was in high school!! There was a reason I played tennis and swam

You take off what we give up on turnovers and fast breaks, our defense could even be better. It still looks like we have a slow rotation to cover the shooters though. There's always a guy you never even want him to get a shot off, unfortunately we have guys that cant hit wide open shots minus Franklin maybe.

The only thing that matters in the end is W-L.... Crean's defenses were atrocious, and when he didn't have a knock down shooter (can we say 2014 and most of '15??), his offenses were also difficult to watch due to all the turnovers. But 3 of those teams won at a high level. Archie's defensive prowess isn't leading to W's at this point. I don't think any of us are going to put on a t-shirt "We finished 13th in the B1G but we had the 2nd stiffest defense".

On the other hand, I will put on a tee shirt that says "We sucked for 50 years but now we are Outback Bowl champions".

Reactions: SoccerSammy

True. But Archie has been giving his all to win ball games and certainly didn't plan to have a bad offense. He isn't figuring it out so complicated or not there isn't a lot of time left for him to experiment.

A coach can only put players in a position to succeed. He can't put the damn ball through the hoop for them. Criticize him for not recruiting the correct players that can score with confidence, but it's not a system failure. The amount of open looks missed in the Illinois game was depressing.... outside of Franklin who is really showing something.

A coach can only put players in a position to succeed. He can't put the damn ball through the hoop for them. Criticize him for not recruiting the correct players that can score with confidence, but it's not a system failure. The amount of open looks missed in the Illinois game was depressing.... outside of Franklin who is really showing something.

Al is the one that really is puzzling to me. He should be shooting way better. I know he has the ability to be a good shooter. He doesn’t have the ability to be much of anything else, so take that a way and he is a massive liability.

If you are the Indiana basketball coach and you are at or below 0.500 in the league 4 years in a row, that 5th year better look pretty darn good or you are out. The players aren't being paid millions of taxpayer dollars to field a good state university hoops team.

Al is the one that really is puzzling to me. He should be shooting way better. I know he has the ability to be a good shooter. He doesn’t have the ability to be much of anything else, so take that a way and he is a massive liability.

He's 12% lower on 3s this year than last last, which is pretty massive. His FT% has also been really bad. His %s on 2s is about the same.

The sad thing is.....I always talked about him being a crap rebounder for his size, and he's doing better on that....also, more assists and fewer TOs. So if he was shooting the same %s as last year we'd be talking about how improved he is. It's 'always something' with him.

He's 12% lower on 3s this year than last last, which is pretty massive. His FT% has also been really bad. His %s on 2s is about the same.

The sad thing is.....I always talked about him being a crap rebounder for his size, and he's doing better on that....also, more assists and fewer TOs. So if he was shooting the same %s as last year we'd be talking about how improved he is. It's 'always something' with him.
On a legitimate B1G roster he'd be an awesome teammate in practice. And I could see about 5 minutes a game to spell a tired guard

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT