ADVERTISEMENT

It's Krystallnacht On Steroids

Here's the article:

There are some thoughtful elements of the proposed change:

During the first semester of last year, 30% of all D or F grades were given to English learners. One in four, 25%, of failing marks went to students with disabilities.

So, trying to limit the barriers for ESL students seems like a good idea IYAM, even more so that disabilities should be taken into account in some form or fashion.

Academic grades will now focus on mastery of the material, not a yearly average, which board members say penalizes students who get a slow start, or who struggle at points throughout the year.

This sounds like a well-intentioned idea, but I see two problems with it: 1) lack of objectivity and/or 2) in order to accurately "test" or measure mastery, wouldn't there be abnormal pressure put on the back end (e.g., final exams) of classes?

Another big change, teachers can no longer consider non-material factors when grading. Things like turning work in on time and classroom behavior will now instead count towards a student's citizenship grade, not their academic grade.

I view each of these distinctly and am surprised that they are being grouped together. For example, there should be nothing wrong with a student missing more or less class, if they are meeting deadlines. Behavior shouldn't necessarily directly impact grades, however, if you are disrupting the class and creating negative issues for other students that need that time, it should affect something (unclear to me what a citizenship grade is and how it is used in the educational context).

As for the turning in work on time, the real world operates with deadlines. For educators to abandon the idea that time matters doesn't seem to be taking the kids' long-term interests in mind.

My stoker was a jr high language arts teacher. She said semester long averages are a must In that subject because the topics covered are more independent. Written communication, oral communication, reading comprehension, creative writing, extemporaneous speaking and writing, are taught and graded throughout the term. All of that together makes the total grade, not the final exercise on the final day. A student can’t blow off class or not do the work through the term and expect a good grade. Seems like the examples given are more suitable for something more concrete like math.

For my part, it seems to me separating behavior and discipline from academic rigor will further structural racism not diminish it. Part of the reason for a publicly funded education is to build good respectable and respectful citizens who will take their place in building a better society. These social skills need to be emphasized not diminished. That means behaving in class and doing assignments.

Reactions: 76-1
yeah this is for sure the catch 22. so you really have two issues at play: one how to maximize education and two how to compare students. so let's hypothetically agree that there is an inherent bias in the sat/act that justifies eliminating same in the name of fairness. and that's what's key: fairness. but how do we then compare students without taking into consideration the things you write and inviting even more bias. the redeeming equality of standardized tests is that it provides a way to compare a kid with a 3.5 gpa at a private boarding school with a kid with a 3.5 gpa at a big public chicago school. absent that standard measure how are kids going to be chosen for college etc - by even more subjective factors, that's how.

i like class rank. i like gpas. and i like standardized tests. class rank breeds competition and competition is good. gpas reward those that work hard over time. standardized tests give big game players a chance at a hail mary
At present, San Diego schools are only open for a handful of special-needs students. What the kids in the district need most of all is probably a return to normalcy, as soon as possible. An experimental system that eliminates year-end letter grades seems like an especially bad idea for the current moment.
Thanks McM , JDB, Hoos, 76 and others for the discussion. Getting ready to open the 3rd owl (Bell's Best Brown Ale) so I'm gonna check out of here. Enjoy your evening fellow Hoosiers

Reactions: 76-1 and hoosboot
At present, San Diego schools are only open for a handful of special-needs students. What the kids in the district need most of all is probably a return to normalcy, as soon as possible. An experimental system that eliminates year-end letter grades seems like an especially bad idea for the current moment.
Thanks McM , JDB, Hoos, 76 and others for the discussion. Getting ready to open the 3rd owl (Bell's Best Brown Ale) so I'm gonna check out of here. Enjoy your evening fellow Hoosiers
Delicious. Yep. Follow the tried and true path, no gimmicks, and in time if you work hard enough and apply yourself you might just get yourself a stoker

Reactions: Spartans9312
Why wade through garbage to toss pearls before swine?

The modern left bullies people of the interent. Read this board.

The modern left holds rallies that they know will turn violent - and then rationalize and explain away antifa and the violence. Read the news. Read this board.

The Great Society failed. As the liberals were told it would. All it did was put young black men in prison.

That is what I said in my "OP"

I stand by it.
You started a thread about how your opponents are Nazis and now you want to bitch about the types of replies you got? Go **** yourself.

First of all, in regards to my two scenarios, my answer is, "I have no clue".

I think it all comes down to the purpose of grades. Are they meant to measure mastery of a subject? Are they meant to measure the average of the mastery of the subject. over time? Are they meant to show that smartass Johnny that he needs to walk in a straight line and conform? Are they meant to be devices that schools can use to determine the life-long trajectory of a 17 year old who is too full of himself, or doesn't have the parental guidance necessary to help him realize that not playing the game may have permanent consequences?

I don't know.
But I do know that my metaphorical track athlete is a 16 ft. long jumper, no matter the results from earlier in the season.

Hey...I always tell my kids, sometimes the most important thing is knowing when you don't know the answer. 😀

I do think you are asking the right questions and pinpointed where the discussion should be centered. I thought this quote from the article was indicative that the San Diego school district was thinking the same thing:

“Our current grading system is working very well for what it was intended to do, and what it was intended to do was to classify students and to put them into categories and basically push them in a certain direction,” School Board President John Lee Evans said.

“We’ve been for too long on this idea where you had a chance, you didn’t succeed, so therefore we’re gonna categorize you as a failure, and your option is to start all over.”

You started a thread about how your opponents are Nazis and now you want to bitch about the types of replies you got? Go **** yourself.

Hey, some liberals, libertarians, and conservatives got together and were able to get something productive out of this thread. Kudos to @Bulk VanderHuge, @Spartans9312 , and @JamieDimonsBalls , @mcmurtry66 , and even @CO. Hoosier for making something productive eight pages down the road from an absurd original post. It was a short burst, but fun to talk about some actual policy.

• Haha
Reactions: hoosboot
My stoker was a jr high language arts teacher. She said semester long averages are a must In that subject because the topics covered are more independent. Written communication, oral communication, reading comprehension, creative writing, extemporaneous speaking and writing, are taught and graded throughout the term. All of that together makes the total grade, not the final exercise on the final day. A student can’t blow off class or not do the work through the term and expect a good grade. Seems like the examples given are more suitable for something more concrete like math.

But, for ESL one of the arguments is that the student improves over time so wouldn't the lower averages of the first half of the semester, for example, not be representative of the student's ability by the end of it?

The modern left holds rallies that they know will turn violent - and then rationalize and explain away antifa and the violence. Read the news. Read this board.

The Great Society failed. As the liberals were told it would. All it did was put young black men in prison.

I stand by it.
If by Left you mean the Russkies and by failed you mean psychs, you’re right.

Yikes.

I thought liberals were politically correct, snowflake pussies.

Sounds like a lot of supposed right wing tough guys are getting scared, particularly of angry, black liberals.

Scared of liberal blacks? Most of the rioting and looting I watched were non working punk ass white kids living in mom and dad’s basement.

Reactions: 76-1
Have we reached the point where issues cannot be discussed without insulting each other with labels and generalizations?

A democracy cannot function when it's people are too divided. We may have reached this point.

We’ve reached that point. It’s not going to be fixed because we have no leaders on either side. And if we did, no one would listen anyway.

I stand by it.
This kind of reactionary hyperbole is why the right is becoming irrelevant. Soon, no one will be listening.

Asian students have outperformed all other racial groups, so one could actually make an argument (this was the crux of the Asian students' argument against Harvard IIRC) that eliminating test scores and/or GPAs actually hurts Asian students more than others.
AP: "Justice Dept. drops suit against Yale University that alleged discrimination against white, Asian students in admissions."
Commentary Magazine: What they really mean by 'Equity' is a pretty good read on the subject

I know him well and he is not what you sat he is. You might be but he isn't.
I wish you and your brother well, but he isn't the poster he used to be. Pretty much an obnoxious hack for the better part of a few years now. Brainwashed? I don't know about that. That seems far-fetched. But there's good reason people question his sanity.

You, on the other hand, remain stable and respectable! What are we drinking tonight? Make it quick, I only have time to pour one before bed.

I wish you and your brother well, but he isn't the poster he used to be. Pretty much an obnoxious hack for the better part of a few years now. Brainwashed? I don't know about that. That seems far-fetched. But there's good reason people question his sanity.

You, on the other hand, remain stable and respectable! What are we drinking tonight? Make it quick, I only have time to pour one before bed.
Yes he is but you need to understand that the Cooler has been a leftist playground for 20 years. Buzz, Rockfish and you have trampled on any opposition to the party line. I make my points in my own way but just like the post I replied too and the response that said but, but, Busch ran a add in 1988 that proves that Republicans use race. That is it for this young man. History to him started in 1980. I know my brother, he is formidable and very capable of keeping this debate going for years.

Yes he is but you need to understand that the Cooler has been a leftist playground for 20 years.
That's just not true. Overall, we're certainly more liberal than some other teams' political forums, but that's really not saying much (check out OSU's board some time).

If we had a series of liberal mods repeatedly deleting any conservative arguments, you'd have a point. But we don't. Maybe we did in the past. I don't really remember much about Buzz's tenure, to be honest. But no one is really being censored here. If your problem is that your conservative opinions are disagreed with and pushed back against, well...free speech goes both ways, remember. You're allowed to say something wrong, and I'm allowed to tell you it's wrong.

I won't dispute anything you say about your brother. You know him better than I do, obviously.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT