ADVERTISEMENT

It's getting worse and worse.

NYC to have quarantine checkpoints.
NYC initial Covid-19 infection and death numbers were the worst in the country and the world. The city has seen more than 23,000 people die, which is nearly 15 percent of all current pandemic deaths in the country. But NYC now has a much better handle on managing the outbreak. They have gone multiple days without any reported COVID-19 related deaths. Time for spectators at the U.S. Open.

Facebook removes 'harmful' video from Trump page claiming children are 'almost immune' as he echoes claim during press conference
President claims young patients able to ‘throw it off very easily’ despite growing evidence children just as capable of transmitting virus

Facebook has removed a video from Donald Trump’s page in which he falsely claimed during an interview with Fox News that children are “almost immune” or “virtually immune” to the coronavirus.

“This video includes false claims that a group of people is immune from Covid-19 which is a violation of our policies around harmful Covid misinformation,” the platform said.

Asked about his remarks during a press conference on Wednesday, the president said that children are able to ”throw it off” and are less likely to get sick compared to adults, though the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention and other health experts have found that children are equally vulnerable to transmitting the virus.

“I’m talking about, from getting very sick,” he said. “If you look at children, they’re able to throw it off very easily.....Children handle it very well. They may get it, but it doesn’t have much of an impact on them.”

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A POTUS disseminating fake information when you are in the pandemic is just criminal.

I just don't know how the words 'hate' and 'criminal' doesn't come into any discussion regarding Trump. How some of you still defend him really says a lot more about you than Trump, after four years.

MAC has cancelled the football season. Northern Illinois announced they weren't going to play and the dominoes fell from there. Those schools were already reeling from losing all the OOC matchups they usually play against B1G schools.

Also read on the free fb board that the B1G presidents were "meeting" today. I wouldn't be surprised to see the conference face the reality and cancel as well.

I've never had any confidence they could pull off any kind of season, but if I was forced to make a recommendation I would have everyone play their division foes only, every other week. That would be six games over 11 weeks. Testing a day or two after every game would give them 10 days or so to isolate and see if they could test negative before the next. If they can pull that off, then play the B1G championship game after that. Yes, I know that would eliminate the Bucket game.

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
MAC has cancelled the football season. Northern Illinois announced they weren't going to play and the dominoes fell from there. Those schools were already reeling from losing all the OOC matchups they usually play against B1G schools.

Also read on the free fb board that the B1G presidents were "meeting" today. I wouldn't be surprised to see the conference face the reality and cancel as well.

I've never had any confidence they could pull off any kind of season, but if I was forced to make a recommendation I would have everyone play their division foes only, every other week. That would be six games over 11 weeks. Testing a day or two after every game would give them 10 days or so to isolate and see if they could test negative before the next. If they can pull that off, then play the B1G championship game after that. Yes, I know that would eliminate the Bucket game.
Heck, make the Bucket Game the conference championship game.

Reactions: UncleMark
Yeah I still feel the same way. I wish trump would say wear masks and wear a mask himself but i don't believe the politics of masks means much. i think it's more just selfishness and american nature. people want to protest and ignore social distancing as we've seen they're going to protest and ignore social distancing. fauci has made it clear social distancing matters whether you are inside or outside. the protesters don't care. but i think they too are akin to about the size of the people not wearing masks for "political reasons," - very small.

it appears the real problem is young(er) people who simply don't care. they want to party. they want to go to bars. they want to go to the beach. they don't care about masks and trump and social distancing. they care about getting their summer cookin. living their selfish, invincible lives.

if we want to get this under control for july and august close the bars, beaches, protests, concerts, and rallies under the name of public safety. compensate those businesses closed through grants, not loans.

trump's position on masks is a factor, but no more than the endless protests across the country, and not a very impt factor imo. millenials are the biggest problem.
From CBS affiliate in DFW: More than 800 bars opened at the end of July in defiance of Texas closure orders. "Our businesses are doomed. We have nothing to lose. We can either fight this thing, or we can starve ourselves out."

From CBS affiliate in DFW: More than 800 bars opened at the end of July in defiance of Texas closure orders. "Our businesses are doomed. We have nothing to lose. We can either fight this thing, or we can starve ourselves out."
Sucks. They need to be shut down and the owners bailed out.

Reactions: glmiu11
Sucks. They need to be shut down and the owners bailed out.
It comes down to whether doing business is a government privilege. I struggle with that line of thought.
Yelp reports that 55 percent of all businesses shut during the pandemic are believed to have closed their doors forever. For business owners, breaking the rules may be the only way to survive.

Reactions: brianiu
For business owners, breaking the rules may be the only way to survive.

For business owners, breaking the rules may be the only way to prolong the epidemic tenfold, making sure that they and all businesses like them are a lead pipe lock to go under, forever. It's short sighted.

For business owners, breaking the rules may be the only way to prolong the epidemic tenfold, making sure that they and all businesses like them are a lead pipe lock to go under, forever. It's short sighted.
This rebellion amongst Texas taverns is going to continue. From the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission: "Recently we have spoken with business owners who tell us they don't intend to follow the orders. When a business tells TABC it doesn't intend to follow these orders, you leave the agency with no option but to revoke your license and shut you down."

It comes down to whether doing business is a government privilege. I struggle with that line of thought.
Yelp reports that 55 percent of all businesses shut during the pandemic are believed to have closed their doors forever. For business owners, breaking the rules may be the only way to survive.
It’s just that it’s one thing for a biz to go out of its own volition but another as a result of a govt order. Imo if it’s the latter they should be bailed out. It’s almost akin to a taking.

It’s just that it’s one thing for a biz to go out of its own volition but another as a result of a govt order. Imo if it’s the latter they should be bailed out. It’s almost akin to a taking.
I don't think I would be for bailing them out either. If you look at the letter TABC sent to the Texas tavern owners, it contains much huffing and puffing about how it's a privilege to be in the booze business, subject to following politicians' orders. That's what government officials always say when they impose licensing requirements on people trying to make a living. Then, feeding yourself and keeping a roof over your head becomes subject to jumping through hoops, paying fees, and keeping the right people happy.

Reactions: brianiu
Are the schools still providing athletic scholarships for this year?

First, the Big Ten is now denying a vote was taken. I suspect it is semantics, no actual vote was taken but an informal show of hands.

I believe schools have said they will honor the scholarships. I think the optics would be terrible if they do not.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
There is absolutely no hope for USA till a vaccine.... Even then, it's possible about 20-30% not able to afford it and another 10% not getting it out of sheer Idiocracy.

California church defies public health orders, holds indoor services for thousands with no social distancing
200812145158-03-grace-community-church-restricted-exlarge-169.jpg

(CNN)To hear Pastor John MacArthur tell it, all Grace Community Church did was open its doors and the people came, like the animals to Noah's Ark.

The megachurch in suburban Los Angeles had reluctantly closed its doors in late May after an unsuccessful legal battle related to the coronavirus pandemic. Two months later, it reopened.
"People started slowly coming back," MacArthur told CNN on Tuesday, "and they just kept coming until there were six or seven thousand."

That's several thousand more people than California allows at indoor worship services. According to an order issued July 29, houses of worship in Los Angeles County must limit indoor gatherings to 100 people or 25% of the building's capacity, whichever is lower.

"I'm so happy to welcome you to the Grace Community Church peaceful protest," MacArthur said from the pulpit last Sunday, as his congregation, few of whom appeared to be wearing masks or social distancing, erupted into applause.

The pastor has said his church offers an outdoor tent for worshipers, but photos and videos posted on social media by church officials show indoor services and tightly packed rows of congregants, most if not all of whom are maskless.

In holding church, MacArthur is betting on divine protection in a pandemic hotspot. Los Angeles County is reporting 1,500-2,000 new Covid-19 infections a day.

The pastor told CNN on Tuesday that no members of his megachurch have contracted the virus. MacArthur also said he doubted the accuracy of California's coronavirus numbers.
"We open the doors because that's what we are," he said. "We're a church, and we're going to trust those people to make adult decisions about the reality of their physical and spiritual health."

Why MacArthur matters

As the coronavirus swept across the US this spring, lockdown orders for churches followed in its wake. Just 6% of Americans who regularly attend services say their congregation is operating as usual, according to a recent survey. Most of the pastors who have bucked the rules are fringe figures in American Christianity.

MacArthur is not. While he seldom backs down from a theological argument, the longtime preacher is considered a respected if fiery-tongued figure among many evangelicals, particularly conservative Calvinists.

From his megachurch in Sun Valley, MacArthur's biblical commentaries, books and online sermons have influenced countless evangelicals. He was president of Master's College in Los Angeles and founded a related seminary. MacArthur's media ministry, including the long-running radio show "Grace to You," rakes in more than $20 million per year in cash donations.

200812132924-02-grace-community-church-restricted-exlarge-169.jpeg

"I'm so happy to welcome you to the Grace Community Church peaceful protest," MacArthur told worshipers this month.

MacArthur's status has led to some prominent voices supporting his cause.
"I'm praying for and thankful for Dr. John MacArthur," tweeted Ronnie Floyd, who leads the Southern Baptist Convention's executive committee, "(and) other pastors across the country who are facing government encroachment on the fundamental rights to free exercise of religion and freedom of assembly."

MacArthur also has friends in powerful secular places. The Thomas More Society, a conservative legal firm that specializes in religious rights, said Jenna Ellis, a senior legal adviser to President Trump's 2020 campaign, will be among the attorneys representing the pastor and his congregation.

The Thomas More Society also said the City of Los Angeles sent a cease and desist letter to Grace Community Church threatening arrest or a daily fine of $1,000. Lawyers for the society declined requests for interviews and refused to make a copy of the letter public.

The crowd at an August 9 service at Grace, in an image posted by the church's social media director.
Spokespeople for Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti referred questions about the letter to the Los Angeles County Public Health Department, which did not immediately respond.

This is not MacArthur's first brush with civil authorities. In the 1980s he and four other pastors at Grace Community Church were sued for malpractice by the parents of a congregation member who committed suicide. In what became a closely watched case, the Supreme Court sided with the pastors.

Reactions: MaxCoke
There is absolutely no hope for USA till a vaccine.... Even then, it's possible about 20-30% not able to afford it and another 10% not getting it out of sheer Idiocracy.

California church defies public health orders, holds indoor services for thousands with no social distancing
200812145158-03-grace-community-church-restricted-exlarge-169.jpg

(CNN)To hear Pastor John MacArthur tell it, all Grace Community Church did was open its doors and the people came, like the animals to Noah's Ark.

The megachurch in suburban Los Angeles had reluctantly closed its doors in late May after an unsuccessful legal battle related to the coronavirus pandemic. Two months later, it reopened.
"People started slowly coming back," MacArthur told CNN on Tuesday, "and they just kept coming until there were six or seven thousand."

That's several thousand more people than California allows at indoor worship services. According to an order issued July 29, houses of worship in Los Angeles County must limit indoor gatherings to 100 people or 25% of the building's capacity, whichever is lower.

"I'm so happy to welcome you to the Grace Community Church peaceful protest," MacArthur said from the pulpit last Sunday, as his congregation, few of whom appeared to be wearing masks or social distancing, erupted into applause.

The pastor has said his church offers an outdoor tent for worshipers, but photos and videos posted on social media by church officials show indoor services and tightly packed rows of congregants, most if not all of whom are maskless.

In holding church, MacArthur is betting on divine protection in a pandemic hotspot. Los Angeles County is reporting 1,500-2,000 new Covid-19 infections a day.

The pastor told CNN on Tuesday that no members of his megachurch have contracted the virus. MacArthur also said he doubted the accuracy of California's coronavirus numbers.
"We open the doors because that's what we are," he said. "We're a church, and we're going to trust those people to make adult decisions about the reality of their physical and spiritual health."

Why MacArthur matters

As the coronavirus swept across the US this spring, lockdown orders for churches followed in its wake. Just 6% of Americans who regularly attend services say their congregation is operating as usual, according to a recent survey. Most of the pastors who have bucked the rules are fringe figures in American Christianity.

MacArthur is not. While he seldom backs down from a theological argument, the longtime preacher is considered a respected if fiery-tongued figure among many evangelicals, particularly conservative Calvinists.

From his megachurch in Sun Valley, MacArthur's biblical commentaries, books and online sermons have influenced countless evangelicals. He was president of Master's College in Los Angeles and founded a related seminary. MacArthur's media ministry, including the long-running radio show "Grace to You," rakes in more than $20 million per year in cash donations.

200812132924-02-grace-community-church-restricted-exlarge-169.jpeg

"I'm so happy to welcome you to the Grace Community Church peaceful protest," MacArthur told worshipers this month.

MacArthur's status has led to some prominent voices supporting his cause.
"I'm praying for and thankful for Dr. John MacArthur," tweeted Ronnie Floyd, who leads the Southern Baptist Convention's executive committee, "(and) other pastors across the country who are facing government encroachment on the fundamental rights to free exercise of religion and freedom of assembly."

MacArthur also has friends in powerful secular places. The Thomas More Society, a conservative legal firm that specializes in religious rights, said Jenna Ellis, a senior legal adviser to President Trump's 2020 campaign, will be among the attorneys representing the pastor and his congregation.

The Thomas More Society also said the City of Los Angeles sent a cease and desist letter to Grace Community Church threatening arrest or a daily fine of $1,000. Lawyers for the society declined requests for interviews and refused to make a copy of the letter public.

The crowd at an August 9 service at Grace, in an image posted by the church's social media director.
Spokespeople for Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti referred questions about the letter to the Los Angeles County Public Health Department, which did not immediately respond.

This is not MacArthur's first brush with civil authorities. In the 1980s he and four other pastors at Grace Community Church were sued for malpractice by the parents of a congregation member who committed suicide. In what became a closely watched case, the Supreme Court sided with the pastors.

i think it’s a little stupid too but the constitution doesn’t stop because people are scared

i think it’s a little stupid too but the constitution doesn’t stop because people are scared
The Constitution does not protect the sickening or killing of others through wanton disregard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Constitution_is_not_a_suicide_pact

"The Constitution is not a suicide pact" is a phrase in American political and legal discourse. The phrase expresses the belief that constitutional restrictions on governmental power must be balanced against the need for survival of the state and its people.​

The Constitution does not protect the sickening or killing of others through wanton disregard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Constitution_is_not_a_suicide_pact

"The Constitution is not a suicide pact" is a phrase in American political and legal discourse. The phrase expresses the belief that constitutional restrictions on governmental power must be balanced against the need for survival of the state and its people.​

no one is forcing people to go to this church, I wouldn’t go, even if I did go to church

No, but if they do go, how about we prevent them from leaving?
I'm sure NYC could provide them with ideas.
From the mayor's office on Aug. 5:
"Travelers who have visited 35 designated states or territories with high COVID-19 transmission rates are required to complete the New York State Department of Heath traveler form and quarantine for a period of 14 days upon entering New York City. The Sheriff's Office, in coordination with other law enforcement agencies, will operate traveler registration checkpoints at major bridge and tunnel crossings into New York City,"

This guy sounds just like winners.

Trump makes call for new White House doctor’s virus advice

https://apnews.com/886b59d445a3d20739e2f77600976ea0

“In the absence of immunization, society needs circulation of the virus, assuming high-risk people can be isolated,” he wrote.

In television appearances, Atlas has called on the nation to “get a grip” and argued that “there’s nothing wrong” with having low-risk people get infected, as long as the vulnerable are protected.

“It doesn’t matter if younger, healthier people get infected. I don’t know how often that has to be said. They have nearly zero risk of a problem from this,” he said in one appearance. “When younger, healthier people get infected, that’s a good thing,” he went on to say, “because that’s exactly the way that population immunity develops.”​

This guy sounds just like winners.

Trump makes call for new White House doctor’s virus advice

https://apnews.com/886b59d445a3d20739e2f77600976ea0

“In the absence of immunization, society needs circulation of the virus, assuming high-risk people can be isolated,” he wrote.

In television appearances, Atlas has called on the nation to “get a grip” and argued that “there’s nothing wrong” with having low-risk people get infected, as long as the vulnerable are protected.

“It doesn’t matter if younger, healthier people get infected. I don’t know how often that has to be said. They have nearly zero risk of a problem from this,” he said in one appearance. “When younger, healthier people get infected, that’s a good thing,” he went on to say, “because that’s exactly the way that population immunity develops.”​
this guy is the poster child for the segment of our pop looking for an expert to support fully opening up and playing sports and all that. i often see him cited by friends on facebook

Last edited:
The number of people in this administration with Fox News connections is astonishing.
Yeah it’s weird. Because a guy like this will just be dismissed as a whore by independents/Dems. With an already galvanized base you’d think the admin would try to co-opt folks outside of the Fox News world.

that's exactly right. expert shopping

Clearly a large segment of the population then doesn't consider Google as their friend. Heard Immunity again? WTF.
Napkin calculation will tell you that 110million Americans will be vulnerable to Rona. Elderly and Chronics. We also know that the people suffering from it are affecting the younger adults now, never mind the kids in different ways incl Kawasaki Disease.

These people cant read?

The only way some of these idiots will ever learn is when it actually happens to one of their own kids/family. Then they will be all in... into the opposite of what they had originally proposed.

Fake experts who distrust the actual experts.

The level of gullibility in the country is astonishing.

Clearly a large segment of the population then doesn't consider Google as their friend. Heard Immunity again? WTF.
Napkin calculation will tell you that 110million Americans will be vulnerable to Rona. Elderly and Chronics. We also know that the people suffering from it are affecting the younger adults now, never mind the kids in different ways incl Kawasaki Disease.

These people cant read?

The only way some of these idiots will ever learn is when it actually happens to one of their own kids/family. Then they will be all in... into the opposite of what they had originally proposed.

Some are gullible - some are intentional. Ignoring the virus or taking riskier measures that inure to their personal benefit drive their beliefs - so they find experts and folks whose positions are congruent with their needs and ignore the rest.

If you own a gym and you need that gym to stay open to support your fam you may be more inclined to support the expert that believes young people should do as they please and old people should stay home more than the expert who says it all needs to be locked down. Human nature.

Some are gullible - some are intentional. Ignoring the virus or taking riskier measures that inure to their personal benefit drive their beliefs - so they find experts and folks whose positions are congruent with their needs and ignore the rest.

If you own a gym and you need that gym to stay open to support your fam you may be more inclined to support the expert that believes young people should do as they please and old people should stay home more than the expert who says it all needs to be locked down. Human nature.
You’re right. That’s why we’ve needed a federal response from the start. And there needs to be something in place to keep businesses afloat. I know it’s an impossible task, but we’d be a whole lot better off if someone tried instead of saying it is what it is.

These people cant read?

I agree. On top of that, despite what Fox and IGW keep screaming, even getting the virus and fighting it off without immediate acute symptoms is dangerous. See https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamacardiology/fullarticle/2768916 for instance, even controlling for severity, the majority of survivors are showing heart damage. That can last the rest of your life.

Reactions: sglowrider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT