ADVERTISEMENT

It's getting worse and worse.

The science tell us consuming sugar is bad for human beings. Would you listen to experts about that and ban all sugar in the US? If not, why not?

Ban, probably not. Stop all sugar subsidies immediately - YES. Create a national sugar tax to pay for healthcare - YES. Create a reduce sugar campaign, sure. All the types of things we did for tobacco.

Why did we do that for tobacco? I am trying to recall, what were the experts saying about it 50 years ago? Well, all the experts not employed directly by tobacco companies.

Ban, probably not. Stop all sugar subsidies immediately - YES. Create a national sugar tax to pay for healthcare - YES. Create a reduce sugar campaign, sure. All the types of things we did for tobacco.

Why did we do that for tobacco? I am trying to recall, what were the experts saying about it 50 years ago? Well, all the experts not employed directly by tobacco companies.

And here is that radical left CATO on sugar subsidies, https://www.cato.org/publications/policy-analysis/candy-coated-cartel-time-kill-us-sugar-program

Sugar in America is far to cheap, making it an easy add for flavor and calories to food. It is hidden in spaghetti sauces and other places it should not be. Attack the pricing, we cut down sugar use and the experts are happy.

Reactions: twenty02
You're bound and determined to blame protests when evidence suggests that in the South, in particular, the combination of GOP Governors opening up early combined with lack of masks and social distancing resulted in spikes being anticipated before anyone heard of Geroge Floyd...

Houston Chronicle May 21

"The updated projection, from PolicyLab at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, found that traffic to non-essential businesses has jumped especially in Texas and Florida, which have moved aggressively to reopen.

In Harris County, the model predicts the outbreak will grow from about 200 new cases per day to more than 2,000 over the next month.

“Some areas—particularly in the South—that have moved more quickly to reopen are showing a higher risk for resurgence,” the researchers wrote in a blog post. “If people in Houston and Palm Beach, Fla., for example, aren’t being cautious with masking in indoor crowded locations and with hygiene and disinfection, local governments may need to intervene again should they lose control of the epidemic.”

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/ne...one-data-national-study-predicts-15286096.php

And Large protests in CA predated George Floyd, as anti-Newsome open up protests were a fact of life throughout CA throughout the month of May. I don't know if the Floyd protests contributed as much as you claim or not, but parts of CA like the Imperial Valley, Bakersfield, Orange Co, etc weren't exactly Floyd protest hotspots.

On the other hand, those are some pretty heavy GOP areas where the anti-lockdown protests were pretty prevalent. While both groups of protestors had the potential to spread the virus, one group was explicitly protesting against measures designed to limit the virus. So IMHO the people protesting against masks and social distancing as part of their ethos, are a lot more likely to spread the virus worse than people who are more split and generally in favor of masks...

https://www.latimes.com/california/...aded-californias-recent-back-to-work-protests
So you don’t believe that you can get COVID outside? Or in a large group of people so long as your outside? You do realize that both scenarios (protests & opening things up) can be true contributors to increased cases? Sure, maybe one worse than the other, but to suggest there is little to no risk of transmission at a protest is not smart given how little we know. You are politicizing public safety...

By all means, end sugar subsidies.

We don't have the political infrastructure or authority to give Trump the kind of authority you imply. Nobody favored him declaring a national marshal law to seize such authority. His administration did issue clearly stated guidelines which actually came from the task force.

I disagree with your suggestion that state and local government doesn't have access to the same kind of expertise as the feds. There is lots of competency in fly-over country and with instant distribution of information I think the overall quality is quite comparable.
I agree with this. Too bad Trump didn’t adhere to his own guidelines.

It selfishness and not giving a shit about others, but they use politics to justify it.
Bullshit. There's no proof they prevent the spread of covid19. Some doctors recommend them. Other doctors say don't bother. Prove they stop covid19 spread or gtfoh with the superiority trip.

The science tell us consuming sugar is bad for human beings. Would you listen to experts about that and ban all sugar in the US? If not, why not?

Is that what the science tells us? Sounds like you have a bad process for gathering information. :rolleyes:

Bullshit. There's no proof they prevent the spread of covid19. Some doctors recommend them. Other doctors say don't bother. Prove they stop covid19 spread or gtfoh with the superiority trip.

Some people say the earth is flat. Others say vaccinations don't work. Damn it, wake up people and don't believe the big money round earth and big pharma that don't care about us. Flat Earth, No Vacc, No Mask Forever!

Huh? Who is questioning that masks help lessen the spread of Covid-19?

And I think you might want to check who is on a superiority trip. ;)
Tuesday my company sent me for a procedure at the County Hospital. The screener took my temp and pointed to the free masks and directed me to where I check in. My hands were full but I managed to snag one with my pinky and I turned to walk away. The young lady put her phone down and said, "sir, you have to wear it." I planned to comply, but like I said my hands were full with nowhere to set my belongings. I immediately set my items on the floor in front of me and applied the mask, and the screener was satisfied enough that she went back to her phone.

When I got to the check-in point, there were three people sitting side by side behind a large desk wearing rubber gloves and pretty custom cloth masks. All 3 had their masks down around their chins. They were 20 ft from the mask NAZI. Don't those medical staffers know they're killing folks by not wearing their masks properly? Or maybe they know something panicked lefties on social media dont know. Masks are ineffective pablum for Dupes.

Prove to me the masks work or don't call me selfish for leaving mine in the glovebox.

Some people say the earth is flat. Others say vaccinations don't work. Damn it, wake up people and don't believe the big money round earth and big pharma that don't care about us. Flat Earth, No Vacc, No Mask Forever!
These case number spikes confirm the earlier antibody studies which suggest Covid is much more contagious and much less deadly than originally thought. All the young asymptomatics getting positive results speeds up "herd immunity".

I would support mandatory mask bill which also completely allows for for the immediate full-scale opening of public areas and private businesses.

Put up or shut up. No opinions. Just facts, please. Where is a study that says a cloth mask or bandana stops Covid 19?

Do you believe that coughing or sneezing into something VS letting er rip is safer for those around you?

It's the same concept.

Italy was overwhelmed by outbreaks and the shut er down and started on the mask propaganda and....today they pretty much bent it back to normal.

Germany did the same.

China who has never had an issue with masks and where the damn thing first broke out....and has a higher population density pretty much bent it.

Definitely much greater than the Netherlands who were anti mask and 10,000 times greater than we have.

We don't need to get back into the asymptomatic discussion with this disease do we?

Anyway I would think we'd be smart enough to look around the world and pick up the habits that seem to be having a real impact or....

We can keep driving into Syracuse's zone and bitching about not getting calls.

That's how many deciders use experts. But it isn't how a good decider should use an expert.

Take Covid-19. An expert virologist can give an opinion about what risks re-opening the economy can pose. An economist can give a opinion about how many businesses or jobs will be permanently lost if nothing reopens. Sociologists might be able to give an opinion about how much domestic violence might happen if the economy remains shuttered. If the decider decides to follow the advice of the virologist, and keeps the economy shuttered, and then claims to "follow the science," such a decider is not a good public servant.

sometimes what's in the short term best economic interests, is not compatible with what's in the best public health interests, at which point a choice of moral priorities must be made.

and sometimes people with agendas push false choices.

that said, covid is new thing, thus there literally were no covid experts, (outside China anyway, and they weren't talking), only viral in general experts.

decisions were made, both economic and health wise, based on insufficient data because we didn't have sufficient data. (and over the top plain greed).

now that we know a lot more about the disease and how if affects different populations very very differently, everyone is already dug in on both the economic and public health sides, and not willing to alter their strategies one bit to take the new data into account.

and they are more dug in every day on both now known very flawed strategies, in a pissing match that benefits no one.

and the pure greed factor still plays a huge part, as the public capital that was and is needed to implement the long term best path forward both overall economic and public health wise, has been hijacked by the 0.01% in a massive flat out robbery of trillions, because they could.

I've said this a million times....wearing a mask does nothing but improve the community.

It also, now stay with me, greatly decreases spreading and/or getting any kind of airborne sickness from a common cold to Sars and to Covid.

In particular in these times with covid, all you are doing is severely handicapping a disease that's f#$king a lot of people up.

Plus as Goldman Sachs just said, they estimate it is worth 5% of our GDP. Not only will is greatly stop the passing, but more people will be comfortable to go to restaurants and stuff.

Plus if we wear masks there's a greater chance that we can have sports again.

I graduated from Kelley in 96 and spent my career in merchandising for a company with a bullseye as its trademark. As a buyer I've seen a zillion pitches.

My point is very rarely have I've seen a pitch about something that could save lives, could make us a healthier community, could make our economy stronger and could allow for my favorite pastimes to comeback providing an invaluable utility.

But I can't get many people to buy in around me.

I don't get it.

You don't get it?

God given freedom dude. Its a fight against the devil.

Example of how many people have been brainwashed by bumper sticker jingoistic/pseudo religions phrases. They cant think objectively. It gives religion a bad name.

Reactions: TommyCracker
Tuesday my company sent me for a procedure at the County Hospital. The screener took my temp and pointed to the free masks and directed me to where I check in. My hands were full but I managed to snag one with my pinky and I turned to walk away. The young lady put her phone down and said, "sir, you have to wear it." I planned to comply, but like I said my hands were full with nowhere to set my belongings. I immediately set my items on the floor in front of me and applied the mask, and the screener was satisfied enough that she went back to her phone.

When I got to the check-in point, there were three people sitting side by side behind a large desk wearing rubber gloves and pretty custom cloth masks. All 3 had their masks down around their chins. They were 20 ft from the mask NAZI. Don't those medical staffers know they're killing folks by not wearing their masks properly? Or maybe they know something panicked lefties on social media dont know. Masks are ineffective pablum for Dupes.

Prove to me the masks work or don't call me selfish for leaving mine in the glovebox.

Oh man, your hands were full? That's rough. Quite a story. Hope you're okay. :rolleyes:

I don't have to prove anything to you. I'm still waiting for you to point out anyone who's honestly claiming that properly worn masks don't help lessen the spread of Covid-19. Even your boy is starting to own up to it. So, I'll call you whatever I want. Other people not wearing masks well doesn't make you any less stupid or selfish. Own it. Or, if you don't like it, mask up. ;)

Oh man, your hands were full? That's rough. Quite a story. Hope you're okay. :rolleyes:

I don't have to prove anything to you. I'm still waiting for you to point out anyone who's honestly claiming that properly worn masks don't help lessen the spread of Covid-19. Even your boy is starting to own up to it. So, I'll call you whatever I want. Other people not wearing masks well doesn't make you any less stupid or selfish. Own it. Or, if you don't like it, mask up. ;)
https://vm.tiktok.com/JRx4Wbk/

This was aimed at school aged kids but applies to many adults

Trump claims 99% of US Covid-19 cases are 'totally harmless' as infections surge
President’s White House speech capping 4 July celebrations says US coronavirus strategy is ‘moving along well’

“We got hit by the virus that came from China,” the president said, prompting a strange whoop and applause from someone in the audience. “We’ve made a lot of progress. Our strategy is moving along well. It goes out in one area, it rears back its ugly face in another area. But we’ve learned a lot. We’ve learned how to put out the flame.”

The number of infections now regularly tops 50,000 per day, higher than in April when the US was in the first grip of infections. Dr Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top infectious diseases expert, warned this week: “I think it’s pretty obvious that we are not going in the right direction.”

Trump returned to his now familiar and baseless complaint that America has a high caseload because it performs more tests. “Now we have tested almost 40m people. By so doing, we show cases, 99% of which are totally harmless. Results that no other country can show because no other country has the testing that we have, not in terms of the numbers or in terms of quality.”

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I guess math does lie? Or he really believes that the vast majority of the country only watches Fox or/and are gullible to buy a bridge?

And people wonder why the US is in the worst position of all the 200 countries in the world? This behaviour/statements is criminal. It kills people.

But sadly, his mantra...

EcMknaFWoAADzwd

Last edited:
Trump claims 99% of US Covid-19 cases are 'totally harmless' as infections surge
President’s White House speech capping 4 July celebrations says US coronavirus strategy is ‘moving along well’

“We got hit by the virus that came from China,” the president said, prompting a strange whoop and applause from someone in the audience. “We’ve made a lot of progress. Our strategy is moving along well. It goes out in one area, it rears back its ugly face in another area. But we’ve learned a lot. We’ve learned how to put out the flame.”

The number of infections now regularly tops 50,000 per day, higher than in April when the US was in the first grip of infections. Dr Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top infectious diseases expert, warned this week: “I think it’s pretty obvious that we are not going in the right direction.”

Trump returned to his now familiar and baseless complaint that America has a high caseload because it performs more tests. “Now we have tested almost 40m people. By so doing, we show cases, 99% of which are totally harmless. Results that no other country can show because no other country has the testing that we have, not in terms of the numbers or in terms of quality.”

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I guess math does lie? Or he really believes that the vast majority of the country only watches Fox or/and are gullible to buy a bridge?

And people wonder why the US is in the worst position of all the 200 countries in the world? This behaviour/statements is criminal. It kills people.

But sadly, his mantra...

EcMknaFWoAADzwd

So, your point seems from this post to be that the behavior of others dictates the behavior you personally will exhibit. Good to know. I'll stay away from you personally as much as I'm able to.

That can't be true, we were told this only happens in socialized medicine countries like Italy.

Sorry Mav, I just don't see any way out of the current mess.

Even with the re-opening here in SG -- after 2 months of lockdown, the numbers seem to be creeping up again in our 2nd week of re-opening. (They have a general election on the 9th or 10th July so I think they timed it this way.)

We had 18 community cases today (outside the migrant workers who all live in dorms who are still getting 100+ cases per day -- but I suspect its poor swabbing techniques by the healthcare workers resulting in too many false negatives.) It was like 1-2 cases per day max prior to re-opening.

The only upside is that we have only currently 200+ in hospital and 2 in ICU -- and 26 deaths since Jan. (total of 45,000 cases so far)

I suspect for the States, its the whack a mole approach -- with local isolation/lockdowns like they are doing in cities of Leicester, England and Melbourne, Oz.

Trump has two weapons in his playbook, schmooze to get what he wants and bully to get what he wants. Honestly, who possibly could have predicted we would face a situation that cannot be solved by either of those strategies? I believe the word is, "inconceivable". At any moment the virus will back down before a threat of a lawsuit, or Trump calling it the greatest virus in history. We have to be close.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT