ADVERTISEMENT

It's getting worse and worse.

At some point, they need to do localised lockdowns.

It seems clear elected officials are not willing to risk backing up unless it becomes catastrophic.

Like steering a ship away from an iceberg, ending AGW, or fixing Social Security, the sooner you start the smaller the course correction that is required. I do not get why that is such a difficult concept.

Reactions: hoot1 and glmiu11
It seems clear elected officials are not willing to risk backing up unless it becomes catastrophic.

Like steering a ship away from an iceberg, ending AGW, or fixing Social Security, the sooner you start the smaller the course correction that is required. I do not get why that is such a difficult concept.

People all seem to be looking for silver bullets. The truth fo the matter is that its a 360 approach of multiple measures -- only escalated incrementally to ensure sustainable behaviour modifications. Jumping into a lockdown felt more like a punishment rather than a necessary step as a result. It treated the country like a school teacher would rather than explaining things like to an adult.

I have said this a few times now -- the issue isn't the lack of a game plan. It was the refusal to execute one which also includes a unified comms strategy.
All the successful countries have made their plans clear to the public ahead of time -- the various steps and why. And failing the key milestones, their alternative action plans.
It lowers the BP level of the people.

People all seem to be looking for silver bullets. The truth fo the matter is that its a 360 approach of multiple measures -- only escalated incrementally to ensure sustainable behaviour modifications. Jumping into a lockdown felt more like a punishment rather than a necessary step as a result. It treated the country like a school teacher would rather than explaining things like to an adult.

I have said this a few times now -- the issue isn't the lack of a game plan. It was the refusal to execute one which also includes a unified comms strategy.
All the successful countries have made their plans clear to the public ahead of time -- the various steps and why. And failing the key milestones, their alternative action plans.

Another problem is dealing with it locally. Yes, it makes sense to act more at the local level where the problem is. But the virus easily crosses map lines. So Indy could shut down their bars, all that would do is guarantee bars in Carmel and Greenwood are packed by a lot of Indy residents.

Somewhere I saw a story of a group of teens who took a vacation to South Carolina and came back infected. So even if Indiana had been doing well, our spread was going to go up just from that.

I do not know a solution, I see 0 political will to shut down nationally and only slight will locally. But since a virus can travel along paths of least resistance, I don't see how we get a handle.

And somewhere there was a discussion on death rates. If hospitals overcrowd, as appears to be happening in Arizona, death rates will go up.

Another problem is dealing with it locally. Yes, it makes sense to act more at the local level where the problem is. But the virus easily crosses map lines. So Indy could shut down their bars, all that would do is guarantee bars in Carmel and Greenwood are packed by a lot of Indy residents.

Somewhere I saw a story of a group of teens who took a vacation to South Carolina and came back infected. So even if Indiana had been doing well, our spread was going to go up just from that.

I do not know a solution, I see 0 political will to shut down nationally and only slight will locally. But since a virus can travel along paths of least resistance, I don't see how we get a handle.

And somewhere there was a discussion on death rates. If hospitals overcrowd, as appears to be happening in Arizona, death rates will go up.
at the risk of sounding really stupid, and without any data to support this half-baked theory, maybe it's just burning it's way through the country. all we can do is try to behave as responsibly as possible as it does it's thing. new york has the lowest hospitalizations since march. there's no way in a densely populated city as large as nyc that everyone is just doing THAT much better of a job at wearing masks and social distancing than california and everwhere else in the country in the throes of it. maybe the sunbelt and calif etc are going through what nyc did at the advent of this in the US and it too will "burn out" for lack of a better, more scientific term, in time of its own volition.

at the risk of sounding really stupid, and without any data to support this half-baked theory, maybe it's just burning it's way through the country. all we can do is try to behave as responsibly as possible as it does it's thing. new york has the lowest hospitalizations since march. there's no way in a densely populated city as large as nyc that everyone is just doing THAT much better of a job at wearing masks and social distancing than california and everwhere else in the country in the throes of it. maybe the sunbelt and calif etc are going through what nyc did at the advent of this in the US and it too will "burn out" for lack of a better, more scientific term, in time of its own volition.
You may be right, but New York took a pretty good whippin. Remember the video of the people mask-shaming the person out of the store?

Side note: There are several people, many on this thread that I appreciate. Thank you for all of the the information provided on a daily basis.

You may be right, but New York took a pretty good whippin. Remember the video of the people mask-shaming the person out of the store?

Side note: There are several people, many on this thread that I appreciate. Thank you for all of the the information provided on a daily basis.
that's my point. nyc took a whippin and perhaps burned its way out or through that region and we're seeing similar events in the sunbelt, calif etc. i'm just trying to reconcile what we're seeing in emerging hotspots with the decline in nyc. and again there's no way everyone is "behaving" in ny just that much better than calif.

that's my point. nyc took a whippin and perhaps burned its way out or through that region and we're seeing similar events in the sunbelt, calif etc. i'm just trying to reconcile what we're seeing in emerging hotspots with the decline in nyc. and again there's no way everyone is "behaving" in ny just that much better than calif.
No. I get your point. But you may be wrong. Maybe they’re doing what you’ve been saying from the start. Follow the guidelines and get to work after you get the numbers down to a place that you can work from. And maybe they just haven’t had enough time since they’ve been getting back to it for the numbers to really spike?

Reactions: mcmurtry66

New York came put of lockdown much later. I think that is part of it.

Buy what you are describing seems to fit the concept of waves. The theory is to knock off the tops of those waves. To do that, actions have to start early in the wave building process.

Reactions: T.M.P.
New York came put of lockdown much later. I think that is part of it.

Buy what you are describing seems to fit the concept of waves. The theory is to knock off the tops of those waves. To do that, actions have to start early in the wave building process.
well anyone who has a facebook account knows how many out of staters are visiting fla as we speak. it'll be interesting to see the consequences of same around the country.

Reactions: glmiu11
Ec0iAzJX0AA68Jj

well anyone who has a facebook account knows how many out of staters are visiting fla as we speak. it'll be interesting to see the consequences of same around the country.

Tourists everywhere in Colorado. See them on hikes and actually talked to a guy from Indiana at a driving range here who was vacationing with his family. He wanted to see if the higher elevation would mean more distance.

That course is actually really strict with covid and now requires a call ahead tee time for just the driving range. It’s by the hour and they only allow a few people out each hour. It stinks because Colorado is doing really well now with cases.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Tourists everywhere in Colorado. See them on hikes and actually talked to a guy from Indiana at a driving range here who was vacationing with his family. He wanted to see if the higher elevation would mean more distance.

That course is actually really strict with covid and now requires a call ahead tee time for just the driving range. It’s by the hour and they only allow a few people out each hour. It stinks because Colorado is doing really well now with cases.
Yeah, those low speed limits stink, too. We don't even need low speed limits, because our accident rates are really low.

Well, if Dr. Chuck fvcking Woolery says it, it must be true. :rolleyes:

Everybody who has worked with Dr. Chuck knows that his dynamic skills go far beyond the delicate coordination of raising two fingers and saying the phrase "We'll be back in two and two". He can also chuckle on command.

Reactions: sglowrider
Yeah, those low speed limits stink, too. We don't even need low speed limits, because our accident rates are really low.

Are you referring to the tourists? Sorry, I understand your point but not sure where it’s directed.

Florida sets new Coronavirus record. Trump golfs, commutes Russian stooge and all around scumbag Roger Stone's sentence, sends talking points attacking Anthony Fauchi because Fauchi won't tow Trump's conspiracy theory line that the CDS, doctors, the media, and Democrats are all responsible for the Coronavirus "hoax".

I wonder how many deaths Trump is responsible for in his Quixotic quest for a second term?

Florida sets new Coronavirus record. Trump golfs, commutes Russian stooge and all around scumbag Roger Stone's sentence, sends talking points attacking Anthony Fauchi because Fauchi won't tow Trump's conspiracy theory line that the CDS, doctors, the media, and Democrats are all responsible for the Coronavirus "hoax".

I wonder how many deaths Trump is responsible for in his Quixotic quest for a second term?
How do you stop these deaths? What’s Trump doing that is causing deaths?

This is an essay from a Professor of Public Health at Tulane. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/opinion/coronavirus-shutdown.html

During the 1918 influenza pandemic, almost every city closed down much of its activity. Fear and caring for sick family members did the rest; absenteeism even in war industries exceeded 50 percent and eviscerated the economy. Many cities reopened too soon and had to close a second time — sometimes a third time — and faced intense resistance. But lives were saved.

Had we done it right the first time, we’d be operating at near 100 percent now, schools would be preparing for a nearly normal school year, football teams would be preparing to practice — and tens of thousands of Americans would not have died.

This is our second chance. We won’t get a third. If we don’t get the growth of this pandemic under control now, in a few months, when the weather turns cold and forces people to spend more time indoors, we could face a disaster that dwarfs the situation today.
I heard him comment on that last part, he said that there is every indication heat DOES slow the virus. What we are seeing in FL, TX, AZ, CA will be much worse in cold states come the fall unless we get a handle on it.

The other questions that need answered, why is testing falling behind and why are there shortages of PPE again? Why were we not able to ramp up both during the time the virus was in retreat? Waiting 5-10 days on a test makes them useless.

I heard a guy from the long-term care industry wonder why all the professional sports teams are getting the immediate testing machines when there are none available for nursing homes.

I want baseball to happen, but a nursing home needs that machine before my Reds. And if it takes a COVID czar to prioritize those machines, protective equipment, whatever else, then we need such a czar.

How do you stop these deaths? What’s Trump doing that is causing deaths?
You stop those deaths by planning back in February for rapid widespread procurement of PPE, rapid & accurate testing, hiring contact tracers, promoting universal mask wearing, etc.

Then if you don't do it in February, do it in March (with a lesser positive impact).
Then if you don't do it in March, do it in April (with a lesser positive impact).
Then if you don't do it in April, do it in May (with a lesser positive impact).
Then if you don't do it in May, do it in June (with a lesser positive impact).
Then if you don't do it in June, do it in July (with a lesser positive impact).
Now that we are apparently not doing it in July, do it in August (with a lesser positive impact).

Do you see what kicking the can down the road does? We could be fully open and over this, with thoughtful preparation in February or March or (to some extent) in April, May, or June.

The dereliction of duty is appalling, and likely doesn't get fixed until next January 20th, if ever.

White House tells hospitals to bypass CDC on COVID-19 data reporting

https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...spitals-to-bypass-cdc-on-covid-data-reporting

Hospitals will begin sending coronavirus-related information directly to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), not the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), under new instructions from the Trump administration.

The move will take effect on Wednesday, according to a new guidance and FAQ document for hospitals and clinical labs quietly posted on the HHS website.

Previously, hospitals reported to the CDC's National Healthcare Safety Network, which the agency describes as the nation’s most widely used health care-associated infection tracking system.

The CDC tracked information including how many beds are available, the number of ventilators available and how many COVID-19 patients the hospitals have.

White House tells hospitals to bypass CDC on COVID-19 data reporting

https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...spitals-to-bypass-cdc-on-covid-data-reporting

Hospitals will begin sending coronavirus-related information directly to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), not the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), under new instructions from the Trump administration.

The move will take effect on Wednesday, according to a new guidance and FAQ document for hospitals and clinical labs quietly posted on the HHS website.

Previously, hospitals reported to the CDC's National Healthcare Safety Network, which the agency describes as the nation’s most widely used health care-associated infection tracking system.

The CDC tracked information including how many beds are available, the number of ventilators available and how many COVID-19 patients the hospitals have.

That's criminal.

So what else is new?

I am sure he will later claim that he was right all along: You have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero.

What a new world he is creating -- you can't trust anyone's information now.

I'd rather it be Chuck who got it. But he's old and it might kill him. Rather not see anyone get super sick or die, but seeing the douchebags have a bit of a rough period wouldn't bother me.
Me either. Enough is enough.

I'd rather it be Chuck who got it. But he's old and it might kill him. Rather not see anyone get super sick or die, but seeing the douchebags have a bit of a rough period wouldn't bother me.
Most people probably didn't know the Chuckster was alive, so if he dies not much changes. Now if a DeSantis or a Ducey went they would make news and save lives by example and a reduction in bad decisions.

Reactions: UncleMark
Monroe County goes under the facemask order at 5PM today. Cases in Bloomington have been rising. Indiana's cases are also rising, we are almost to March numbers on infections. If we assume hospitalizations and deaths follow by 2 weeks, we will be there or above by August.

Reactions: sglowrider
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT