ADVERTISEMENT

"It's Georgia. It's Georgia."

Laugh, or pity?

thHWPMILWT.jpg

Show a little class guys. Why wish him ill at this point? He is a decent man and has every right to pursue and land another job.
Good luck to him.

That's fine. We all recognize that Crean came in at a difficult time and kept the boat afloat. He just didn't get us to shore.

No coach at the highest levels of any sport is immune - nor should they ever be immune - from a little chiding. It comes with the job; it comes with the territory; it comes with the responsibility; it comes with the money. Doesn't matter if it's Krzyzewski, Knight, Lombardi, Belichick or whomever.

That's fine. We all recognize that Crean came in at a difficult time and kept the boat afloat. He just didn't get us to shore.

No coach at the highest levels of any sport is immune - nor should they ever be immune - from a little chiding. It comes with the job; it comes with the territory; it comes with the responsibility; it comes with the money. Doesn't matter if it's Krzyzewski, Knight, Lombardi, Belichick or whomever.
Has anybody actually chided Krzyzewski, Knight, Lombardi or Belichick? Link please.

In your post, did you spell Krzyzewski from memory or did you cheat?

Has anybody actually chided Krzyzewski, Knight, Lombardi or Belichick recently? Link please.

In your post, did you spell Krzyzewski from memory or did you cheat?

Simple way to memorize the spelling. Just think: Mr. K. R. Zyzewski.

Reactions: Harry Hondo
Georgia would be a good place for him.

State school with talent he could recruit.

His rah rah attitude would buy him a few years, his name might be able to land a high ranked prospect off the bat.

That's about it.

Maybe his no defense, play faster style would work better in the SEC.

Reactions: MrBing

His rah rah attitude would buy him a few years, his name might be able to land a high ranked prospect off the bat.

That's about it.

And then his grating, hyper, odd personality will rub recruits the wrong way and fans will tire of high turnovers and poor defense.

That's about it.

And many have said he needs to be at a football school, where he can have down years and no one will notice, especially if the football team is doing great.

My opinion on Mike Davis has evolved over the last 10 years. Davis was not ready and borderline incompetent as the coach of Indiana. Now, after gaining the additional experience at UAB and Texas Southern, IMO Davis is ready to go and win at Georgia or another lower tier BIG5 conference team. Davis is a better coach than Crean-there, I said it! I just wish he hadn't coached at IU when he did.

My opinion on Mike Davis has evolved over the last 10 years. Davis was not ready and borderline incompetent as the coach of Indiana. Now, after gaining the additional experience at UAB and Texas Southern, IMO Davis is ready to go and win at Georgia or another lower tier BIG5 conference team. Davis is a better coach than Crean-there, I said it! I just wish he hadn't coached at IU when he did.

Clarence Doninger and Myles Brand did Mike Davis zero favors by giving him this job. Even with the miraculous 2002 run they both should have had the ability to see the big picture. They clearly didn't and their lack of competence/leadership/foresight started IU off in an unprecedented run of mediocrity (minus 3 seasons) ever since.

With that said. I wish Mike Davis nothing but the best. Never should have been thrust into that situation and he handled it as well as he possibly could.

You are right about Davis. If I recall, Brand and the AD caved in to the pressure being put on the program by the players at the time. Didn’t the majority of them threaten to leave if Davis wasn’t hired? He had no business being put in that position, and he did the best he could under circumstances that were next to impossible having to coach after RMK. I’m biased because I have met Davis several times, and I think he is just a super person. Honest, straightforward, and genuinely sincere. I’ve always hoped he would get another shot, but if he doesn’t, he won’t complain.

You are right about Davis. If I recall, Brand and the AD caved in to the pressure being put on the program by the players at the time. Didn’t the majority of them threaten to leave if Davis wasn’t hired? He had no business being put in that position, and he did the best he could under circumstances that were next to impossible having to coach after RMK. I’m biased because I have met Davis several times, and I think he is just a super person. Honest, straightforward, and genuinely sincere. I’ve always hoped he would get another shot, but if he doesn’t, he won’t complain.
You are right in the fact that several players said they would transfer if Davis wasn't named the permanent head coach after the year one of interim status. I never took that as a serious threat though. JJefferies wasn't going anywhere, as he was a 2 and done and did not want to sit out a year. Haston went pro anyway, and that was the right move for him. Most of the other players were going to be jrs or srs, and I just did not believe there would be a mass transfer. The buffoon KBenson, at center court of an IU game, made some demanding statements that IU hire Davis full time. I was there and could not believe his comments to a packed AH.

Brand was incompetent and wanted to deemphasize basketball at IU, and made the moves to accomplish that. Brand then leveraged that into a President of the NCAA job. Incredible. His successor, Adam Herbert, was the knucklehead that kept Davis a year(s) too long, then hired Sampson. The result of those 17 years is a slow spiral from top-of-the-food-chain blueblood to where IU is at now. OK, jimmy is gettin' upset!......

I agree except for one important difference. Crean is currently employed as a commentator.

I was a Crean detractor, and an early one. But IU got two outright Big Ten titles in his tenure which should be enough to not put him on the "eternal fan damnation" list. And at this point he is not a part of the program. He is staying positive and taking the high road. What reason would there be to wish him ill at this point?

You are right in the fact that several players said they would transfer if Davis wasn't named the permanent head coach after the year one of interim status. I never took that as a serious threat though. JJefferies wasn't going anywhere, as he was a 2 and done and did not want to sit out a year. Haston went pro anyway, and that was the right move for him. Most of the other players were going to be jrs or srs, and I just did not believe there would be a mass transfer. The buffoon KBenson, at center court of an IU game, made some demanding statements that IU hire Davis full time. I was there and could not believe his comments to a packed AH.

Brand was incompetent and wanted to deemphasize basketball at IU, and made the moves to accomplish that. Brand then leveraged that into a President of the NCAA job. Incredible. His successor, Adam Herbert, was the knucklehead that kept Davis a year(s) too long, then hired Sampson. The result of those 17 years is a slow spiral from top-of-the-food-chain blueblood to where IU is at now. OK, jimmy is gettin' upset!......
You just like a post from a Purdue fan. Are you getting soft??? Just kidding. It’s kind of weird, my youngest son is a huge college basketball fan, and he was born in 2004. He asked me this year when we were watching the Purdue/IU game something like “Didn’t IU used to be really good at basketball? Like, before I was born?” He has never lived in Indiana, and it just dawned on me that he has no recollection of IU’s elite status in hoops, which is just really strange to me. Also makes me realize how damn old I am. He thinks the best programs in the B1G are MSU and Wisconsin based on what he’s seen in his life. I think Archie will be a very good hire, but to your point, it’s been a long, slow spiral down and kids today have no idea how dominant IU was in hoops.

Reactions: drose
I agree except for one important difference. Crean is currently employed as a commentator.

I was a Crean detractor, and an early one. But IU got two outright Big Ten titles in his tenure which should be enough to not put him on the "eternal fan damnation" list. And at this point he is not a part of the program. He is staying positive and taking the high road. What reason would there be to wish him ill at this point?

Totally agree.

It's a well worn myth that Brand wanted to "deemphasize" basketball at IU, though you're not the only person to have inaccurately interpreted his "turn down the volume" comments (something Knight had also said). But he did cave to pressure from certain stakeholders, most notably Cora Breckenridge, who confronted him very directly on the matter of retaining Davis permanently.

Show a little class guys. Why wish him ill at this point? He is a decent man and has every right to pursue and land another job.
Good luck to him.

Not only that, it would save IU some cash.

And, yes, Tom Crean is a good man.

Clarence Doninger and Myles Brand did Mike Davis zero favors by giving him this job. Even with the miraculous 2002 run they both should have had the ability to see the big picture. They clearly didn't and their lack of competence/leadership/foresight started IU off in an unprecedented run of mediocrity (minus 3 seasons) ever since.

With that said. I wish Mike Davis nothing but the best. Never should have been thrust into that situation and he handled it as well as he possibly could.
He is just a great guy even though he wasn't that great of a coach.

high road? he said he'd still pray for fred, who he thought was his friend but who was always his boss, after fred fired him as if firing him was something that required god's forgiveness. he then had his BILs talk crazy shite about the lack of support he was getting from his "friend" fred, as if that was why he couldn't win big much less make the tourney 3 years in a row.

add the high player turnover and general dbaggery to the list, and that's why he's more than earned his rep. again, he is not really a good dude. not an awful one but really just a dude. of course he'll tell you he's a good man...and a christian...and a student of leadership. and some folks will fall for it. and some will be in the media because they get paid to fall for crap like this, but in the end he's getting what he deserved.

mankind doesn't stand chance until we start seeing through the veil dbaggery! srsly. lol

Last edited:
If you knew some of the stuff that went on behind the scenes and even on camera, there is no way you could say Crean is a good person. He does the PR well but that only lasts so long. He was viewed as a clown by other Big Ten coaches. The blow by handshakes were completely classless and juvenile.

That's about it.

Does he realize he would by conference rules be required to play Kentucky?

Reactions: TommyCracker

I can understand making MD the interim coach for a year. Knight was fired in September, which isn't a good time to do a coaching search. However, MD never should have been permanently hired as head coach: simply not qualified.

As previously stated, I think Crean was a master at keeping his job when he didn't deserve it: he is the ultimate used car salesman. It is on IU for not giving him the boot much sooner. IU has made some horrible coaching decisions.

I can understand making MD the interim coach for a year. Knight was fired in September, which isn't a good time to do a coaching search. However, MD never should have been permanently hired as head coach: simply not qualified.

As previously stated, I think Crean was a master at keeping his job when he didn't deserve it: he is the ultimate used car salesman. It is on IU for not giving him the boot much sooner. IU has made some horrible coaching decisions.

Fred tried to let Crean go earlier but was stopped by BOT. That said, A BOT member helped get it done last year.

ADVERTISEMENT