ADVERTISEMENT

It's early but......is this team currently overachieving?

kraft cheese+macaroni

Hall of Famer
Jul 21, 2010
It's probably too early to say....but right now, they're slightly exceeding my expectations to the point that I am now expecting an NCAA bid, whereas at the beginning I was merely hopeful and optimistic.

Reactions: Townsend
Still TBD, as is with every team this time of year. IU has played and beaten some good teams early, and that’s impressive. The big question mark is the rotation, and they still need to get better as the season rolls along. What’s helped the pitching early is experienced bats getting the job done, Mercer is an offensive guy so I’m not surprised at the early success. Good teams tend to improve and shore up minor details along the season. This team is an NCAA team on talent alone, they just need to show growth over the season which they are more than capable.

I don't think there is any question we are an NCAA tourney team. I thought we were before the season.....I believe we are at the stage in our program where we are every year, no matter our turnover. The question should be, are we able to be good enough to host the regionals? I did question how good we would be with who we lost, and I thought more along the lines of a 3 seed. However, the way it has looked thus far, we have exceeded my expectations as well. BUT, I know.....it is way early. We could lose several in a row and it all changes. But I'm definitely excited at this stage of the season.

No reason this pitching staff can’t continue to evolve and improve as the season goes on. I’m starting to believe Coach Parker is the real deal. And the offense almost certainly will improve. Bats heat up with the weather, right? Just gotta keep putting the ball in play and cut down on Ks.

Only question in my mind is the defense. Too many poorly handled ground balls in the infield and dropped flyballs in the outfield.

Reactions: snowling
3 game losing streak, and so much for the overachieving. Losing 2 out of 3 against SD isn't too bad (except for the blowout in game 3).....disappointing but I think SD is pretty good. Losing to a 4-11 Evansville team, that's not good. It has definitely tempered my expectations after the good start. Let's just beat UC and snap the losing streak.

3 game losing streak, and so much for the overachieving. Losing 2 out of 3 against SD isn't too bad (except for the blowout in game 3).....disappointing but I think SD is pretty good. Losing to a 4-11 Evansville team, that's not good. It has definitely tempered my expectations after the good start. Let's just beat UC and snap the losing streak.

Get some kinks out of the way. Lots of top programs lose a game like Evansville here and there. Like you said, though, let's get back on track vs. UC. Hopefully that Evansville loss was just a little bit of fatigue from playing what was up until that point the 11th toughest schedule in the nation, most on the road.

Ditto....the announcers were touting Evansville's schedule, which I hadn't looked at too closely. But if their schedule were so great, I don't think the RPI would have been in the 200's. Disappointing to say the least.

Get some kinks out of the way. Lots of top programs lose a game like Evansville here and there. Like you said, though, let's get back on track vs. UC. Hopefully that Evansville loss was just a little bit of fatigue from playing what was up until that point the 11th toughest schedule in the nation, most on the road.
This program consistently loses crappy midweek games.

Reactions: mk23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT