ADVERTISEMENT

It boils down to QB play for Indiana

td75

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2003
As lousy as our defense seemed to be yesterday, it still boils down to having a dynamic QB on the last drive. Ole Miss put up almost 50 points on the Alabama juggernaut!! Indiana, even though giving up too much yardage, limited Ole Miss to a whopping 26 points.

I think it's very plausible that Indiana beats Ole Miss by 14-17 points behind MP. Just look at the last drive itself. Tuttle takes a tremendous sack that Penix absolutely does not take...That play basically took the win off the table.

We can harp on the defense but fact is, they held Ole Miss to 26 points when Bama barely held them under 50!! Indiana scored just 14 points to Wisconsin in victory and 20 points in a loss to OM. It seems the loss of Mike really hurt from an offensive production POV.

I think Indiana can win 7 games next year with Tuttle and go bowling. However, I think Indiana can win 10 games with Penix pulling the trigger.

As lousy as our defense seemed to be yesterday, it still boils down to having a dynamic QB on the last drive. Ole Miss put up almost 50 points on the Alabama juggernaut!! Indiana, even though giving up too much yardage, limited Ole Miss to a whopping 26 points.

I think it's very plausible that Indiana beats Ole Miss by 14-17 points behind MP. Just look at the last drive itself. Tuttle takes a tremendous sack that Penix absolutely does not take...That play basically took the win off the table.

We can harp on the defense but fact is, they held Ole Miss to 26 points when Bama barely held them under 50!! Indiana scored just 14 points to Wisconsin in victory and 20 points in a loss to OM. It seems the loss of Mike really hurt from an offensive production POV.

I think Indiana can win 7 games next year with Tuttle and go bowling. However, I think Indiana can win 10 games with Penix pulling the trigger.

I would say six and eight with the schedule they have to play and the target that will be on their back.

Mike Penix is good for 6 games max per season, That’s the track record and not seeing that situation will change. Assuming he’s coming back but he may hang up the cleats.

I agree with you but think our OC is a big part of the problem. I will wait and see how he calls plays next year but I don't want a DeBord offense repeat that we saw this year. I was concerned about this because Sheridan played at Michigan under DeBord and was with DeBord in TN while coaching with coach DeBoer for just one year.

Mike Penix is good for 6 games max per season, That’s the track record and not seeing that situation will change. Assuming he’s coming back but he may hang up the cleats.
I can't argue that point because he obviously hasn't stayed healthy. I do think he will do everything possible to rehab and grab his starting job back. He's proven he can beat top ten teams with the Penn State win. Penn State was playing good football that day and reflected their ranking, IMO.

That said, Donovan McCulley will challenge for the starting job if Mike can't make it back.

To be fair to Sheridan, IU struggled to run the ball consistently all year, even with Penix under center. Now Penix arm strength and ability to push the ball downfield really masked our deficiency in the run department, so I can understand some hesitation yesterday.

That being said, I do think yesterday’s offensive game plan was rather poor. Yesterday was one of the few times all year where the defense consistently struggled to get off the field and the thought process must have been a shootout mentality. It didn’t need to be that way. Would have loved to have established a ground game early and often, and really limit the opponents offensive possessions.

“We will never win at a high level at IU without DYNAMIC quarterback play”
Kevin Wilson

To be fair to Sheridan, IU struggled to run the ball consistently all year, even with Penix under center. Now Penix arm strength and ability to push the ball downfield really masked our deficiency in the run department, so I can understand some hesitation yesterday.

That being said, I do think yesterday’s offensive game plan was rather poor. Yesterday was one of the few times all year where the defense consistently struggled to get off the field and the thought process must have been a shootout mentality. It didn’t need to be that way. Would have loved to have established a ground game early and often, and really limit the opponents offensive possessions.
Struggling to run the dive play ? It was so ridiculously over used it wasn’t funny. Love Stevie. He doesn’t get to the LOS quick enough IMHO. The most un creative running game in the history of football.

Reactions: baileyiu

Here's hoping he heals and comes back better than ever. He's a terrific talent and it's tough to see him struggle with injuries. I call him Robocop.

Reactions: TominDallas

Speaking of dynamic players, Ole Miss was without several or their dynamic offensive players yesterday. With Penix we win yesterday, but if they had all their starters the defense would need to force some turnovers and put more pressure on the QB to win.

Reactions: TominDallas

Tuttle could have won the game yesterday. Unfortunately, he was saddled with a terrible offensive game plan.

Coach Sheridan is running coach Debord's and it needs to be change and if I were coach Allen I would tell him to change to Deboer's offense. I am sick of this offense he is running. Penix is a great QB that can get passes into tight coverage and get the pass deep down field. Tuttle is a very good QB when not injured with his shoulder was separated.

Tuttle had a clear shoulder injury. Add that to the pathetic game plan and play calling by Sheridan, and here we are today. I’m very bullish that Penix is back and fully healthy for next year. I also think that Tuttle is a great backup, and now he has real game experience. McCulley is a badass and will redshirt and learn. Our QB room looks great heading into next season.

As long as our OC learns some lessons from this game, I’m OK with him going forward. He’s only had 8 games, so I’m not ready to burn him at the stake just yet. He needs to watch film and learn. Hopefully the Oline steps up next year, plus a SR RB in Stevie, and we have a truly balanced offensive attack.

Reactions: 76-1
Speaking of dynamic players, Ole Miss was without several or their dynamic offensive players yesterday. With Penix we win yesterday, but if they had all their starters the defense would need to force some turnovers and put more pressure on the QB to win.
IF we had Penix maybe we go up 14-0 and it’s a whole different dynamic. Too hard to speculate- the only certainty was the actual outcome and we lost.

IU needs to get through senior decisions, finalize coaching staff (new DC, any other changes?) and then start fresh with focus on next season which by all reasonable measures, IU should start preseason in the top 20, Outback loss or not.

Reactions: red hornet
I agree with you but think our OC is a big part of the problem. I will wait and see how he calls plays next year but I don't want a DeBord offense repeat that we saw this year. I was concerned about this because Sheridan played at Michigan under DeBord and was with DeBord in TN while coaching with coach DeBoer for just one year.
Vesuvius usually I agree with what you say however I believe you are way off on this. Sheridan threw the ball downfield which many complained Deboard did not do enough of. Also Deboard teams were far better running the ball. Deboard team moved the ball and the chains where they struggled was in the red zone where there were tighter windows to complete passes. Deboard also has true freshman running backs in each season. He lost a starting wide receiver on ole day in each season. So if Sheridan is like Deboard who by the way was also a play caller that has won a National championship then I am good with that. I do think Sheridan needs to expand run game outside the inside zone especially if we cannot run read option. We need to add pin and pull concepts. The wildcat was a nice addition. I think the fly sweep is something we can look at with Ellis and Johnson and maybe Whop. In pass pro I think he does need to look at giving Big Caleb help against a speed rusher. I also hope Johnson is that guy that can take the top off of defenses. Hopefully we can have a spring , a summer and a normal fall and can see what a Sheridan offense is going to look like.

ADVERTISEMENT