ADVERTISEMENT

It Aint the Size of the Dog...

rikki-tikka-tava

All-American
Jul 17, 2002
Hot damn Hoosiers. Held Mega to 2 pts. for the first 5 1/2 minutes of the game during which IU forced 3 TOs, drew 6 fouls and held Mega to 1-7 shooting. Held Mega to 4 pts. the first 8 minutes of the second half on 1-9 shooting while forcing 4 TOs, and after eleven minutes in the half Mega had only scored 6 points on 2-13.

Seriously? That's mildly obscene and more to be expected of playing against The Sisters of Divine Flatulence rather than an ostensibly decent FIBA Team. In watching the game (thanks to a certain true IU fanatic), ball pursuit on D seemed unlike anything seen at IU in a long time. It wasn't just fronting opponents and mucking up passing lanes, closing speed on ball movement (in the second half at least when I began to notice) was exceptional. Mega went 9-32 on twos largely because most of what they put up was intensely challenged (or blocked by Geronimo), they were rarely able to penetrate or get into any sort of motion, and often barely had enough time to catch or rebound without it being contested. Makes perfect sense if ball and the defender arrive more or less simultaneously that it doesn't leave much room for error, but it also just makes it that much harder to 'breathe'. IU just plain stifled whatever Mega's offensive plan was - pretty sure no one expected after losing the opener they'd come out and shoot 17-60 in the rematch. Well maybe Dane...

XJ & RP combined for 13 assists on 3 TOs (all on X) and the Team combined for a whopping total of 6 TOs (against 13 for Mega). Liked Rob's fantastical no-look over the back 'scoophooklayup', but Xavier's 'pardonmewhileIfakeyououtofyourjock' 2nd-half shake and bake was pure poetry. Geronimo robbed them of 4 points on those two monstrous 2nd-half blocks at the rim (and hit a pretty 3), Race was a vacuum (13 boards) while recording the game's highest performance index (and hit a pretty 3), and Parker was again solid despite an off shooting nite (but also hit a pretty 3). Trayce and Trey played tough, Khristian came in late and scored twice on quick drives (again) to the rack, something I don't recall seeing all of last Season and very encouraging. Oh yeah, there's that other guy Bates, Tamar I think - he looks like he might be half-decent. 🍏 🍏

Could go on but too early and they were after all just exhibitions. Still, as TJD said Friday, "That was fun". Oh yeah.

🍎

Last edited:
They seem to play like they're well coached. That to me was what I hoped to see the most. The defense has made giant leaps already so the offense will come around. Xavier and Tamar looked to be able to create their own looks which is refreshing to see again as well.

Reactions: 76-1
I used to be an Army Drill Sergeant. Beyond all the yelling and screaming is a motivation to get kids to do what they think is impossible, and to make that new level of performance the baseline for tomorrow. Coaching basketball is exactly the same thing.

When a kid like Rob or Khristian is placed in a training environment that asks too much from their capability, it places doubts into the mindset that is reinforced by the successes of the kids around them. As a Drill Sergeant, I always knew how each kid was maturing, and what was a reasonable stretch for today. As a coach, the same should be true, and was absent during the last 10 years. It was hard to watch how he put players in systems that were not designed for their physical capabilities, and yelled at them when they couldn't physically (or mentally) adapt.

This coach seems to be putting round pegs in round holes. He has kids who are maturing at their speeds while demanding excellence as part of their culture. I like how he's coaching, leading, and mentoring. We're in August, and we have a long way to go, but I like the signals.

Re-watched the entire game (thanks again C). IU left a lot of points at the rim as in 8-9 missed layups. Expecting Parker/Xavier to dial it in before long from range, can only hope Rob will do the same. Really sweet seeing Xavier/Rob finding TJD cutting to the rack, thinking it's only a matter of time before Jordan starts getting in on that action.

Hard not to like X - having a point who can keep the ball in front of him, is that quick and that quick at changing direction should really benefit the offense - just harder to see the floor and/or initiate anything with one's back to the basket. Pretty clear he and Bates and I believe Stewart can create their own shots if need be, overall antiipate IU's backcourt will be much more threatening and efficient driving the lane as well as from deep.

All five starters scored yesterday during the 12-2 run to open the game. That's almost intoxicating...

Reactions: YOTHN
Of all the players from the video segments I watched, one player seemed a bit unsure of his role and how to complement his teammates and their offensive strategy. For me, that was Parker Stewart. I do have confidence he will adjust and play a significant role with the team.

Of all the players from the video segments I watched, one player seemed a bit unsure of his role and how to complement his teammates and their offensive strategy. For me, that was Parker Stewart. I do have confidence he will adjust and play a significant role with the team.

He definitely has some great intangibles. I can't imagine a lot of the guys on the team are rock solid in their roles yet since its so early on but Parker Stewart had 5 steals and only 1 TO in the the 2 games combined. He didn't shoot it very well but that will come over time.

He definitely has some great intangibles. I can't imagine a lot of the guys on the team are rock solid in their roles yet since its so early on but Parker Stewart had 5 steals and only 1 TO in the the 2 games combined. He didn't shoot it very well but that will come over time.

His defense was phenomenal. Our defense is upgraded in a major way. He will have a game where he hits 5+ threes.

Reactions: T.M.P. and Beorik
if he would have hit his shot your perspective would be completely different.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
no, not really. as a coachs son, he may be bringing a cerebral approach to the IU team. which is a good thing. he might be the glue guy who sticks the outside jumper when needed. the offense lagged a bit vs our defense. both will get better.
how long do we wait for the next game?

Parker 100% can as well. He is an experienced big guard. Will play a lot.

I'm still bullish on him, but he looked slow. He's thicker than I expected. He might not be in top shape, or he might have tired legs from a summer in the weight room.
He has very good awareness and effort defensively, but he needs to quicken up, or he'll have difficulty defending one on one.

In the pressor with Race somebody asked a question about this team vs last year. I thought he was trying tobait Race into saying negative things about last year or about Archie Miller,
His response was very mature. Something along the lines of all teams are different. I loved my team mates from last year and now this year.
Made me respect Race even more.

In the pressor with Race somebody asked a question about this team vs last year. I thought he was trying tobait Race into saying negative things about last year or about Archie Miller,
His response was very mature. Something along the lines of all teams are different. I loved my team mates from last year and now this year.
Made me respect Race even more.
Another big thing about this team, they are old as F. With that comes maturity. I posted this before but we well have several 22-24 year olds come March.

Another big thing about this team, they are old as F. With that comes maturity. I posted this before but we well have several 22-24 year olds come March.
I was thinking the same thing. Some thread a few months ago was talking about needing 4 year players as opposed to a squad of 1 and done or 2 and done.
Not many thought TJD would be here for year three. Stewart and Johnson had their experience elsewhere, but it is still experience. Race is a veteran, Rob is in his 4th year, etc.

I was thinking the same thing. Some thread a few months ago was talking about needing 4 year players as opposed to a squad of 1 and done or 2 and done.
Not many thought TJD would be here for year three. Stewart and Johnson had their experience elsewhere, but it is still experience. Race is a veteran, Rob is in his 4th year, etc.
IU basically started 3 Seniors (Race, X and Miller), a junior (TJD) and Stewart who is sort of in his fifth year as he played a year, stepped away for a year, played another and then spent a semester last year practicing at/with IU. Good luck finding another D1 starting five with that much experience.

Woodson knows. Who/what he's looking at and what it takes to do what he wants. He sees it/them in the context of sooooooooo much experience as a Player AND a Coach. Neither accident nor coincidence that those guys fit what he's trying to do - intense D that creates havoc for the other team, smart play with no turnovers, and get the damn ball. Right now those five do it better than anyone else.

Bates looks to be a phenom and similar could be said of Geronimo, Durr (who we haven't seen yet but doesn't sound like a pushover) and Phinisee are both Srs., and there's a coach's son and 2020 finalist for IN Mr. BB along with a marksmen who was 2020 IN Mr. BB, - this ought to be one of the sharpest, toughest and canniest Teams to run at AH in ages.

Run Hoosiers run. 🍒

IU basically started 3 Seniors (Race, X and Miller), a junior (TJD) and Stewart who is sort of in his fifth year as he played a year, stepped away for a year, played another and then spent a semester last year practicing at/with IU. Good luck finding another D1 starting five with that much experience.

Woodson knows. Who/what he's looking at and what it takes to do what he wants. He sees it/them in the context of sooooooooo much experience as a Player AND a Coach. Neither accident nor coincidence that those guys fit what he's trying to do - intense D that creates havoc for the other team, smart play with no turnovers, and get the damn ball. Right now those five do it better than anyone else.

Bates looks to be a phenom and similar could be said of Geronimo, Durr (who we haven't seen yet but doesn't sound like a pushover) and Phinisee are both Srs., and there's a coach's son and 2020 finalist for IN Mr. BB along with a marksmen who was 2020 IN Mr. BB, - this ought to be one of the sharpest, toughest and canniest Teams to run at AH in ages.

Run Hoosiers run. 🍒
I hope those who will be on the bench accept their role and are patient enough for their turn. If that happens sustainability happens. Being 4 years experienced is good, being 4 years experienced in the same system is much better.

Last edited:
I hope those who will be on the bench accept their role and are patient enough for their turn. If that happens sustainability happens. Being 4 years experienced is good, being 4 years experienced in the same system is much better.

I would be shocked if Leal or Galloway went anywhere, even if they got no minutes. Same with Logan. If we are good, players in general accept not getting PT a lot better. If we suck, totally different story.

Reactions: T.M.P.
If we are good, players in general accept not getting PT a lot better. If we suck, totally different story.
Good point. I'm worried about KL though. I liked what I saw on offense. The defense tho .....

If that doesn't improve drastically he's not getting minutes.

There's a lot of time to improve.

Good point. I'm worried about KL though. I liked what I saw on offense. The defense tho .....

Doesn't help that he's the shortest and probably the lightest Player on the Team. Or that everyone doesn't grow up at the same rate, e.g., Geronimo is moving into his manchild phase and Lander is still something of a boy. It will happen for him, I just wish everyone would relax and give it a rest. 🍎

Reactions: T.M.P.

I wonder if he has not bought into defense first yet. Maybe he needs a red shirt year in the weight room.
But, it is only August.

Hot damn Hoosiers. Held Mega to 2 pts. for the first 5 1/2 minutes of the game during which IU forced 3 TOs, drew 6 fouls and held Mega to 1-7 shooting. Held Mega to 4 pts. the first 8 minutes of the second half on 1-9 shooting while forcing 4 TOs, and after eleven minutes in the half Mega had only scored 6 points on 2-13.

Seriously? That's mildly obscene and more to be expected of playing against The Sisters of Divine Flatulence rather than an ostensibly decent FIBA Team. In watching the game (thanks to a certain true IU fanatic), ball pursuit on D seemed unlike anything seen at IU in a long time. It wasn't just fronting opponents and mucking up passing lanes, closing speed on ball movement (in the second half at least when I began to notice) was exceptional. Mega went 9-32 on twos largely because most of what they put up was intensely challenged (or blocked by Geronimo), they were rarely able to penetrate or get into any sort of motion, and often barely had enough time to catch or rebound without it being contested. Makes perfect sense if ball and the defender arrive more or less simultaneously that it doesn't leave much room for error, but it also just makes it that much harder to 'breathe'. IU just plain stifled whatever Mega's offensive plan was - pretty sure no one expected after losing the opener they'd come out and shoot 17-60 in the rematch. Well maybe Dane...

XJ & RP combined for 13 assists on 3 TOs (all on X) and the Team combined for a whopping total of 6 TOs (against 13 for Mega). Liked Rob's fantastical no-look over the back 'scoophooklayup', but Xavier's 'pardonmewhileIfakeyououtofyourjock' 2nd-half shake and bake was pure poetry. Geronimo robbed them of 4 points on those two monstrous 2nd-half blocks at the rim (and hit a pretty 3), Race was a vacuum (13 boards) while recording the game's highest performance index (and hit a pretty 3), and Parker was again solid despite an off shooting nite (but also hit a pretty 3). Trayce and Trey played tough, Khristian came in late and scored twice on quick drives (again) to the rack, something I don't recall seeing all of last Season and very encouraging. Oh yeah, there's that other guy Bates, Tamar I think - he looks like he might be half-decent. 🍏 🍏

Could go on but too early and they were after all just exhibitions. Still, as TJD said Friday, "That was fun". Oh yeah.

🍎
Your basketball comments had some interest for me but your message was lost because of your snide remarks about religion.

• Haha
Reactions: justjames
Your basketball comments had some interest for me but your message was lost because of your snide remarks about religion.
Would expect nothing less from an unimaginative simpleton - nigh 30,000 posts and cannot recall a single one worth reading.

If you're offended by an associative reference to a mushy-headed and asinine world-view that says 'it'll be better when we're dead', try prayer. Comes in all flavors - vanilla would suit you perfectly.

Re-watched the entire game (thanks again C). IU left a lot of points at the rim as in 8-9 missed layups. Expecting Parker/Xavier to dial it in before long from range, can only hope Rob will do the same. Really sweet seeing Xavier/Rob finding TJD cutting to the rack, thinking it's only a matter of time before Jordan starts getting in on that action.

Hard not to like X - having a point who can keep the ball in front of him, is that quick and that quick at changing direction should really benefit the offense - just harder to see the floor and/or initiate anything with one's back to the basket. Pretty clear he and Bates and I believe Stewart can create their own shots if need be, overall antiipate IU's backcourt will be much more threatening and efficient driving the lane as well as from deep.

All five starters scored yesterday during the 12-2 run to open the game. That's almost intoxicating...
Xavier has a jump shot that is fresh from the 1950s....but the defense is something we did not see last year.

Xavier has a jump shot that is fresh from the 1950s....but the defense is something we did not see last year.
Very odd/ugly shot - looks as if he jumps first and then begins his shot as opposed to one fluid motion. Trey had a hitch in his shot last year but this is far more intense. Involuntary cringe every time he launched from deep.

ADVERTISEMENT