ADVERTISEMENT

It’s rough out there

Charlesroast

Freshman
Aug 4, 2013
Per football scoop, Coach DeBoer has cut 4 of the staff at Fresno. Former Purdue head man Danny Hope will not return to Eastern Kentucky as Offensive Line Coach.

In news closer to home Mike Yurcich (former IU GA & possible OC ask) may be headed to Texas as OC, while Chris Ash takes over Longhorn defense. Tom Herman needs to get Texas fixed, they are not patient down there.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Reading this and I admit an initial feeling of IU may be a little “too nice” than the true top 20 type programs.

Saw ESPN post recruiting rankings and IU was not in top 50. I know it was only 18 so far with two more to follow, but was disappointing on paper we didn’t hit a few more signees out of the park.

The “nice” comment refers to Tom Allen genuinely being a. Ice person (which is actually a great thing not bad thing) but some of the staff hire since day 1 were of the personal friend mode or staff promotion (Coach T) and less along lines of Coach DeBoer type of hires.

Coach Allen HAS made changes (OC, S/C, etc) but just saying it feels like between the AD and Coach Allen’s limited time in D1 FB staffs, we are still building the reputation, there experience and perhaps the aggressive nature it may take at times to not only win some more recruiting battles, but also how to build a continuous staff that are experienced in X’s & O’s and in closing on high level recruits.

I would never want to “bend the rules” or be unethical, and the 20 guys we sign this year may be fine and truly contribute over time.

Just an observation that as much as I really like Tom Allen & How this season went, I can also acknowledge this takes time and he likely will need to continue to evolve too to take IU into the more consistent top 25 type of program for wins and recruiting.

A Gator Bow won will hep the cause, as will another good OC hire and closing out with two good recruits by Feb. (And Penix 15 lb stronger next year can help many coaches to look good if he can stay healthy.)

Reading this and I admit an initial feeling of IU may be a little “too nice” than the true top 20 type programs.

Saw ESPN post recruiting rankings and IU was not in top 50. I know it was only 18 so far with two more to follow, but was disappointing on paper we didn’t hit a few more signees out of the park.

The “nice” comment refers to Tom Allen genuinely being a. Ice person (which is actually a great thing not bad thing) but some of the staff hire since day 1 were of the personal friend mode or staff promotion (Coach T) and less along lines of Coach DeBoer type of hires.

Coach Allen HAS made changes (OC, S/C, etc) but just saying it feels like between the AD and Coach Allen’s limited time in D1 FB staffs, we are still building the reputation, there experience and perhaps the aggressive nature it may take at times to not only win some more recruiting battles, but also how to build a continuous staff that are experienced in X’s & O’s and in closing on high level recruits.

I would never want to “bend the rules” or be unethical, and the 20 guys we sign this year may be fine and truly contribute over time.

Just an observation that as much as I really like Tom Allen & How this season went, I can also acknowledge this takes time and he likely will need to continue to evolve too to take IU into the more consistent top 25 type of program for wins and recruiting.

A Gator Bow won will hep the cause, as will another good OC hire and closing out with two good recruits by Feb. (And Penix 15 lb stronger next year can help many coaches to look good if he can stay healthy.)
I wouldn't overanalyze things. He got to 8-4 in just his third season as HC. At IU. Another season like this one and the only talk about recruiting will be "wow!"

I wouldn't overanalyze things. He got to 8-4 in just his third season as HC. At IU. Another season like this one and the only talk about recruiting will be "wow!"

He took over a solid program. Let’s not act like he went from 1-11 to 8-4 in 3 years. Wilson has IU as solid as ever in my memorable lifetime.

He took over a solid program. Let’s not act like he went from 1-11 to 8-4 in 3 years. Wilson has IU as solid as ever in my memorable lifetime.
Oh ok, here we go again with "Wilson gets all the credit" or "anyone could have done this."

Wilson had some great offenses, including two that were among the best in the country, but it was squandered with defenses that couldn't stop a clock. And the offense was in a decline, and recruiting was down, at the end of Wilson's tenure.

Wilson did one really great thing, though, and he deserves all the credit for it - - he hired Tom Allen.

IU won eight games this season for just the 8th time, and is knocking at the door of nine wins for just the third time in program history. Let's not act like this happens every day.

not sure stopping a clock is all that easy but would be one step closer to time travel.

The better analogy would be the defense couldn't stop your grandma, even with her wearing high heels and just eating Thanksgiving dinner.

not sure stopping a clock is all that easy but would be one step closer to time travel.

The better analogy would be the defense couldn't stop your grandma, even with her wearing high heels and just eating Thanksgiving dinner.
You're right - - terrible analogy! Too many Christmas spirits.

What about the underlying point? Agree? Disagree?

Merry Christmas!

we have among the smallest home recruiting bases in the major conferences, with many to most being multiple times bigger.

and home recruiting base, (a geographic area where a team is the overwhelming home team of the area), means a lot more in football than basketball.

for IU, that geographic area is pretty much Martinsville to Washington Indiana, and not much population there as a base.

north of Martinsville we share with PU and ND, north of Carmel it's PU and ND till you get to the north, where we are an after thought, and PU, Mich, MSU, NW, ND, are all geographically closer.

south of Washington the media comes out of Louisville or Cincinnati.

and much of our tradition is derived from that geographical quirk, not lack of investment by IU.

for IU to do well recruiting, it has to way over perform it's inherent demographics.

the charm and beauty of IU and Btown help a lot with that, but it will always be a steep hill to climb, as the inherent demographics will always be worse, often to usually multiple times worse, than other major conference schools.

we have actually been over achieving for some time now.

His work as the DC may someday be seen as the moment the program turned around at IU. He had a lot to do with making those 6-6 seasons a possibility. Going from hideously awful to fair in one year on defense was huge. He followed it up with more improvement the next year. I joked during his second season as DC that with the turn around he made on defense that we should promote him to HC before he left for another school. By the bowl game that year he was the HC.

His work as the DC may someday be seen as the moment the program turned around at IU. He had a lot to do with making those 6-6 seasons a possibility. Going from hideously awful to fair in one year on defense was huge. He followed it up with more improvement the next year. I joked during his second season as DC that with the turn around he made on defense that we should promote him to HC before he left for another school. By the bowl game that year he was the HC.
He had only the one year as DC.

He had only the one year as DC.
His second year as DC was very good defense. People that say Wilson left a strong roster have no idea with the three classes not ranked well with a poor QB room coach Allen took over which contributed to the 5-6 years. This year's team of two recruiting classes [sophomore and freshman] of Coach Allen contributed greatly to this 8-4 season hopefully 9-4.

I agree with this. However, our offense was trending downward mainly from CKW not being able to get a single QB on campus worth a darn. I am still a grateful CKW fan but he did fail at the QB position. I mean Sudfield was a Littrell guy.

CTA attacked the QB issue and fixed it quickly. Being a defensive coach, it was impressive. Then he went out and hired Deboer. Wow.

Wilson left the program far better than when he walked in. Allen didn’t fall out of step and has improved it. Guess what? Mr. Glass deserves the recognition for following his gut and making this happen. I don’t think we have the season we just had with CKW still at the helm.

Look I’m not digging TA. I just don’t see why Wilson gets dogged so much. We went from complete garbage to
I agree with this. However, our offense was trending downward mainly from CKW not being able to get a single QB on campus worth a darn. I am still a grateful CKW fan but he did fail at the QB position. I mean Sudfield was a Littrell guy.

CTA attacked the QB issue and fixed it quickly. Being a defensive coach, it was impressive. Then he went out and hired Deboer. Wow.

Wilson left the program far better than when he walked in. Allen didn’t fall out of step and has improved it. Guess what? Mr. Glass deserves the recognition for following his gut and making this happen. I don’t think we have the season we just had with CKW still at the helm.

I agree 100% with all of this! I just don’t understand the CKW hate. Heck he should be loved for hiring the eventual head coach to push it over the top.

Wilson left the program far better than when he walked in. Allen didn’t fall out of step and has improved it.
No question Wilson had an impact. He took us from a laughingstock to a program that had attitude, didn't shy away from going after top recruits, and were guaranteed to run up a bunch of points on you. While we didn't win many games, we were something to be reckoned with.

Lose Big. Lose Close. Win Close. Win Big.

Wilson got us from Lose Big to Lose Close. For at least this season Allen has gotten us to Win Close. That's progress.

Last edited:
No question Wilson had an impact. He took us from a laughingstock to a program that had attitude, didn't shy away from going after top recruits, and were guaranteed to run up a bunch of points on you. While we didn't win many games, we were something to me reckoned with.

Lose Big. Lose Close. Win Close. Win Big.

Wilson got us from Lose Big to Lose Close. For at least this season Allen has gotten us to Win Close. That's progress.

this is 100% correct. The chasm between Lose Big to Lose Close particularly for IU, was huge and difficult to measure. We had a serious serious serious depth issue. We didn’t have B10 starters let alone backups at every position. So that incremental improvement from Lose Big to Lose Close took time, effort, and was hard to measure as a fanbase and as a potential recruit. I remember how excited I was when the offensive line finally AVERAGED 300 lbs! Now I don’t think we have a guy under 300!

we have a B10 team now. That is because of Fred Glass, CKW, CTA, and the coaching staff that has served.

a lot to be excited about at IU.

A little too nice? I think you have forgotten that Lee Corso was in his car in I-69, headed to Fort Wayne to recruit Rod Woodson when he heard on the radio that he had been fired.
Is that un-nice enough for you?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT