ADVERTISEMENT

It’s not looking good

The 2021 Rose Bowl parade has been cancelled 5 months in advance.
The dominos are beginning to fall.

Although not a great sign, I also don't know how relevant that would be in regards to the bowl game being played if there is money to be made without fans. There may not be any but only time will tell.

The 2021 Rose Bowl parade has been cancelled 5 months in advance.
The dominos are beginning to fall.

So they're saying masks DON'T work?

2 goods though.

1. California almost always leads the wrong way. Apply the George Costanza rule.

2. I won't have to get mad watching Al Roker talk instead of letting me hear the bands - especially the Marine Band.

But overall, I think it mostly means the seasons will get extended to an unknown date, and things like the parade can't occur on a unknown, seat-of-the-pants schedule. For example, I can see the Ahia State/Harbaugh U game getting putting off for as long as it takes for all the players to test negative. Heck, they'll wait until next March if they have to to satisfy the Big 2. But you can't build a float overnight, and once its built, you can't wait a month to drive it down the street.

Stay safe err'body.

To the Tournament of Roses Committee the game is the ancillary event. The parade is a larger crowd, and a tougher ticket to get. Makes sense the parade is cancelled this early given the number of participants and the logistics and expense of putting it on. This has little bearing on if the bowl game is played or not in my opinion.

Although not a great sign, I also don't know how relevant that would be in regards to the bowl game being played if there is money to be made without fans. There may not be any but only time will tell.
It takes a lot of time to organize a parade that size and I know it doesn’t automatically the game will get cancelled but it’s still not a good sign.

Michigan announced any attendance at Ann Arbor would be handled on a single game basis, offered via priority/seniority points. No general ticket sales and all ticket money (including RSD) already paid either refunded, donated, or put towards 2021.

it’s likely any attendance would be offered to students first.

To the Tournament of Roses Committee the game is the ancillary event. The parade is a larger crowd, and a tougher ticket to get. Makes sense the parade is cancelled this early given the number of participants and the logistics and expense of putting it on. This has little bearing on if the bowl game is played or not in my opinion.

Excellent handle there my friend...made me chuckle...loved watching that movie with my young family back in the day...

Reactions: vesuvius13
Masks work if everybody wears them. This would already be a memory if everyone would've masked up, washed their hands properly, and social distanced. Instead, people didn't listen and here we are now. Non mask wearers are probably the descendants of people that cut their seat belts out of their cars cause they didn't want to have to wear them.

https://www.wpr.org/surprisingly-controversial-history-seat-belts
107601415_10223316906409292_6632413249635300999_n.jpg

Next...

While your post reflects an article date of May 21, the article originally ran on April 1. Since then, the New England Journal of Medicine provided this update from the authors:

"We understand that some people are citing our Perspective article (published on April 1 at NEJM.org) as support for discrediting widespread masking. In truth, the intent of our article was to push for more masking, not less. It is apparent that many people with SARS-CoV-2 infection are asymptomatic or presymptomatic yet highly contagious and that these people account for a substantial fraction of all transmissions.2,3 Universal masking helps to prevent such people from spreading virus-laden secretions, whether they recognize that they are infected or not.

We did state in the article that “wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection,” but as the rest of the paragraph makes clear, we intended this statement to apply to passing encounters in public spaces, not sustained interactions within closed environments. A growing body of research shows that the risk of SARS-CoV-2 transmission is strongly correlated with the duration and intensity of contact: the risk of transmission among household members can be as high as 40%, whereas the risk of transmission from less intense and less sustained encounters is below 5%.5-7 This finding is also borne out by recent research associating mask wearing with less transmission of SARS-CoV-2, particularly in closed settings.8 We therefore strongly support the calls of public health agencies for all people to wear masks when circumstances compel them to be within 6 ft of others for sustained periods."

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2020836

Last edited by a moderator:
While your post reflects an article date of May 21, the article originally ran on April 1. Since then, the New England Journal of Medicine provided this update from the authors:

"We understand that some people are citing our Perspective article (published on April 1 at NEJM.org) as support for discrediting widespread masking. In truth, the intent of our article was to push for more masking, not less. It is apparent that many people with SARS-CoV-2 infection are asymptomatic or presymptomatic yet highly contagious and that these people account for a substantial fraction of all transmissions.2,3 Universal masking helps to prevent such people from spreading virus-laden secretions, whether they recognize that they are infected or not.

We did state in the article that “wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection,” but as the rest of the paragraph makes clear, we intended this statement to apply to passing encounters in public spaces, not sustained interactions within closed environments. A growing body of research shows that the risk of SARS-CoV-2 transmission is strongly correlated with the duration and intensity of contact: the risk of transmission among household members can be as high as 40%, whereas the risk of transmission from less intense and less sustained encounters is below 5%.5-7 This finding is also borne out by recent research associating mask wearing with less transmission of SARS-CoV-2, particularly in closed settings.8 We therefore strongly support the calls of public health agencies for all people to wear masks when circumstances compel them to be within 6 ft of others for sustained periods."

Only idiots and/or selfish pr*cks are still resisting mask-wearing.
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2020836
Masks DO NOT WORK! Masks even have a warning on the box that says they don't work. I already sent 10 links at the cooler and everyone there discounted the links from the top docs on the planet. The approach is wrong too people should be focused on boosting immune systems. Masks ARE a control issue and you like being controlled obviously. Such a tough guy too calling names on an football blog. Scary...Go back to your msm now and get educated about the virus and how deadly it is.

105947475_10156978625485356_3721863632470683414_n.jpg

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
Masks DO NOT WORK! Masks even have a warning on the box that says they don't work. I already sent 10 links at the cooler and everyone there discounted the links from the top docs on the planet. The approach is wrong too people should be focused on boosting immune systems. Masks ARE a control issue and you like being controlled obviously. Such a tough guy too calling names on an football blog. Scary...Go back to your msm now and get educated about the virus and how deadly it is.

So, yer sayin don't wear a mask and don't eat yellow snow.

You are correct in that most masks the general public has access to does not give the sole wearer any high level of protection if they're stuck next to a non-mask wearer.

Where the generally available masks become relatively effective is in reducing the airborne viral load when both individuals are wearing them (while maintaining social distancing of 6+ feet [*I much prefer twice that distance but often that's not possible])...

The point being that wearing a mask is Not to protect you..., it Is to "help" protect those around you by knocking down the cone of distance of whatever viral load you may be expelling...

If you have good manners you'll wear a mask. It's not a Bill of Rights issue; it's a public health issue.

//Best practice is to triple layer masks if possible...//

Last edited:
Conferences are only playing conference games. Why would anyone expect the bowl games to be played?
I didn’t say I expected a bowl game to be played.
I merely meant it’s not a good sign that the season will be played at all.
It’s not etched in stone that there will be any games played.
Cancelling the non conference games was the logical first step.Not sure why everyone keeps putting words in my mouth? I never once mentioned I expected there to be any bowl games.

Last edited:

I don't claim to be a tough guy. I just don't have a lot of tolerance for willful ignorance.

I don't expect you to read this, but maybe someone else will. It's from "Stat News," a news organization that focuses on health issues. The article, just published the other day, quotes Dr. Redfield, the Director of the CDC, at length. Here's a sample:

"If we could get everybody to wear a mask right now, I really think in the next four, six, eight weeks, we could bring this epidemic under control.”

The wisdom of wearing a mask is no longer debatable. At least not among reasonable people.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/14...vid19-could-be-controlled-cdc-director-urges/

Back to the "not looking good" topic of this thread.
Just got the news today. Mobile County Public Schools (Alabama) announced the first quarter of 2020 will be done from home. They will re-evaluate after the first quarter, which is 9 weeks. No word on HS Football but "its not looking good."
I am not optimistic about NCAA football this fall.
Go Hoosiers!

You're wasting your time. You can cite expert opinions after expert opinion. It doesn't matter to the hysterical. They believe what they want to believe and, no matter how many times they're proved wrong, their belief is unshakeable.

I'll copy this link because I know you are open to real information - not rumors and what the media tells them.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/about-face-coverings.html

Text copied below, but note the "may help[' and "most likely to reduce....." They can't say for certain because they don't know for certain. But it feels good to have everyone wear a mask, so why not.

Hell, the experts are still arguing how it's spread. Just last week they decided now it may travel through the air. Really? No kidding. Yet, that was front page news. Remember when we were told you could get it by touching infected surface area?
"
"Cloth face coverings may help prevent people who have COVID-19 from spreading the virus to others. Wearing a cloth face covering will help protect people around you, including those at higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19 and workers who frequently come into close contact with other people (e.g., in stores and restaurants). Cloth face coverings are most likely to reduce the spread of COVID-19 when they are widely used by people in public settings. The spread of COVID-19 can be reduced when cloth face coverings are used along with other preventive measures, including social distancing, frequent handwashing, and cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched surfaces.

The cloth face coverings recommended here are not surgical masks or respirators. Currently, those are critical supplies that should be reserved for healthcare workers and other first responders. Cloth face coverings are not personal protective equipment (PPE). They are not appropriate substitutes for PPE such as respirators (like N95 respirators) or medical facemasks (like surgical masks) in workplaces where respirators or facemasks are recommended or required to protect the wearer."

I didn’t say I expected a bowl game to be played.
I merely meant it’s not a good sign that the season will be played at all.
It’s not etched in stone that there will be any games played.
Cancelling the non conference games was the logical first step.Not sure why everyone keeps putting words in my mouth? I never once mentioned I expected there to be any bowl games.

I didn’t say you did. I was just wondering why anyone would.

I thought I read at some point that you were in Purdue's athletic department. I was wondering if you knew Dick Kindig (SP?).

If not, my apologies.

When taken as a whole, this seems like an accurate description of the situation.

To catch it, you need face-to-face contact within 6 feet that is sustained for at least a few minutes. There is minimal risk of catching 19 from a passing interaction in a public space.

The powers-to-be screwed the pooch by first lying about the face masks ('not helpful, and may be harmful', at a time when a billion Chinese were wearing them) and following that up with more lies and half-truths that result in rules & regulations for people that require people to wear masks when walking a dog or riding in a boat with family members.

So last night I'm at the baseball game at victory field, and the ignorant mask requirement is in place, to guard against "passing interactions in a public space' when the crowd was limited to 1000. This results in contempt for the authorities.

The rules & regulations should have been carefully constructed to require social distancing and masks in situations like churches, barbershops, offices. The whole "Do not go outside except to..../wear a mask at all times" approach has backfired. Americans are not (yet) lemmings.

Reactions: vesuvius13
17 new cases reported in Monroe County today and students haven’t even returned yet. Coronavirus is going to explode here this fall. It will be a nightmare.

Wish TV in Indianapolis reported that 6 IU Football players have tested positive (and I thought they said that voluntary workouts were temporarily suspended).

I have no other site link for confirmation on this so hopefully I just dozed off watching the news and had a bad dream...

Reactions: DANC
Wish TV in Indianapolis reported that 6 IU Football players have tested positive (and I thought they said that voluntary workouts were temporarily suspended).

I have no other site link for confirmation on this so hopefully I just dozed off watching the news and had a bad dream...
Nope, you didn't dream it. 6 cases and they've suspended workouts.

Let's all freak out.

Reactions: 76-1

A control issue? Lmao. Do you guys really believe this type of bs? Who wants to control us? Why has every country in the world got this figured out except US and Brazil??

When taken as a whole, this seems like an accurate description of the situation.

To catch it, you need face-to-face contact within 6 feet that is sustained for at least a few minutes. There is minimal risk of catching 19 from a passing interaction in a public space.

The powers-to-be screwed the pooch by first lying about the face masks ('not helpful, and may be harmful', at a time when a billion Chinese were wearing them) and following that up with more lies and half-truths that result in rules & regulations for people that require people to wear masks when walking a dog or riding in a boat with family members.

So last night I'm at the baseball game at victory field, and the ignorant mask requirement is in place, to guard against "passing interactions in a public space' when the crowd was limited to 1000. This results in contempt for the authorities.

The rules & regulations should have been carefully constructed to require social distancing and masks in situations like churches, barbershops, offices. The whole "Do not go outside except to..../wear a mask at all times" approach has backfired. Americans are not (yet) lemmings.
They may not be lemmings but they sure are stupid, as we see every day. Fortunately more and more places are mandating masks .

Reactions: Bowlmania
A control issue? Lmao. Do you guys really believe this type of bs? Who wants to control us? Why has every country in the world got this figured out except US and Brazil??
If it wasn't, you'd be concerned there are no standards for face masks.

But you aren't - you're only interested in blindly following whichever bureacrat order there is, without any critical thinking whatsoever.

Reactions: brebelle3
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT