ADVERTISEMENT

Israel Drops Most Mask Mandates

DrHoops

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2001
After the most successful vaccination program in the world and an informed population that doesn’t believe vaccines are tracking devices or some kind of work of the devil, masks are off for almost everywhere in Israel.

But, of course, in America we have the Evangelicals who are also the biggest whiners about not “opening up”:

Last edited:
All the more reason to have vaccine ID’s. Those vaccinated get season tickers, entry to the best restaurants, concert tickets, airline travel, etc. F’k the backwards Darwin Award winners. Let them sit home.
Fully vaccinated people should be acting like it.
Return to normal activity

Reactions: UncleMark

Apparently, we have to wait for Floridians and Republicans to get their acts together before everyone gets to be mask free. The same complainers about wearing the masks just keep kicking the mask free can down the road.

Pathetic.

Apparently, we have to wait for Floridians and Republicans to get their acts together before everyone gets to be mask free. The same complainers about wearing the masks just keep kicking the mask free can down the road.

Pathetic.
palm beach post. not surprising. they aren't trapped under pritzker's rule; or michigan or ny or some other place. they're sitting outside a bagel shop in boca living life and not preoccupied with a virus that does next to nothing to most 20 somethings. and they're 20 somethings. i wasn't worrying about shut ins in the midwest either at that age.

as for the conspiracy nuts. we're just screwed. hopefully there's less of those than we think. in the meantime portland is rioting again. i say go florida. enjoy life. no wonder so many people are moving there

After the most successful vaccination program in the world and an informed population that doesn’t believe vaccines are tracking devices or some kind of work of the devil, masks are off for almost everywhere in Israel.

But, of course, in America we have the Evangelicals who are also the biggest whiners about not “opening up”:

This country is an amalgamation of different races, creeds, beliefs like nowhere else in the world. One of the few things we all have in common is that we are opinionated and like to fight.

Finding something we all agree on, even something as worthwhile as the Covid vaccine, is tough.

Not comparable to a country like Israel and a close knit tribe like the Jewish people in the slightest.

Your entire thread premise stinks and is just another excuse to bitch.

All the more reason to have vaccine ID’s. Those vaccinated get season tickers, entry to the best restaurants, concert tickets, airline travel, etc. F’k the backwards Darwin Award winners. Let them sit home.
Did you mean "lie in hospital?" ;)

palm beach post. not surprising. they aren't trapped under pritzker's rule; or michigan or ny or some other place. they're sitting outside a bagel shop in boca living life and not preoccupied with a virus that does next to nothing to most 20 somethings. and they're 20 somethings. i wasn't worrying about shut ins in the midwest either at that age.

as for the conspiracy nuts. we're just screwed. hopefully there's less of those than we think. in the meantime portland is rioting again. i say go florida. enjoy life. no wonder so many people are moving there
Except here's the problem. An anti-masker twenty-something transmitted the coronavirus to my 63-year-old brother, who transmitted it to my 80+ year old parents. All unknowingly, not maliciously. My brother died. My parents spent 10 days in the hospital and damn near died ( both saved by a timely antibody infusion and round the clock respiratory care). That's the shit selfish people in this country don't seem to get - or care to.

Last edited:
Except here's the problem. An anti-masker twenty-something transmitted the coronavirus to my 63-year-old brother, who transmitted it to my 80+ year old parents. All unknowingly, not maliciously. My brother died. My parents spent 10 days in the hospital and damn near died ( both saved by a timely antibody infusion and round the clock respiratory care). That's the shit selfish people in this country don't seem to get - or care to.
I know. With every decision there was a consequence. And I wish we would have had a plan. A way to insulate some, compensate them, etc. but we never had a plan. Masks aren’t a plan

I know. With every decision there was a consequence. And I wish we would have had a plan. A way to insulate some, compensate them, etc. but we never had a plan. Masks aren’t a plan
I disagree. Until we had the ability to vaccinate, masks and social distancing were a plan. If everyone had done so, a lot of dead people wouldn't be dead. If the giant orange douchebag occupying the Oval Office in the spring of 2020 had told the zealots to do so, they would have. And the extended ( and recurring) shutdowns wouldn't have been necessary. All it took was an ounce of leadership from the top.

I disagree. Until we had the ability to vaccinate, masks and social distancing were a plan. If everyone had done so, a lot of dead people wouldn't be dead. If the giant orange douchebag occupying the Oval Office in the spring of 2020 had told the zealots to do so, they would have. And the extended ( and recurring) shutdowns wouldn't have been necessary. All it took was an ounce of leadership from the top.
Nonsense. Masks are a political totem. We’ve had the benefit of time passing. Fauci has no clue why states with mask mandates performed no better than open states. Common sense tells us this thing moved like a wildfire and if it was your state’s turn masks were meaningless. We didn’t have a plan. If you want to blame trump for THAT okay.

Nonsense. Masks are a political totem. We’ve had the benefit of time passing. Fauci has no clue why states with mask mandates performed no better than open states. Common sense tells us this thing moved like a wildfire and if it was your state’s turn masks were meaningless. We didn’t have a plan. If you want to blame trump for THAT okay.
The issue isn't so much about mask mandate as it is about those people/places that refused to follow or enforce the mandates. Even in places that had strong orders, a sizable portion of the population simply refused to comply.

This country is an amalgamation of different races, creeds, beliefs like nowhere else in the world. One of the few things we all have in common is that we are opinionated and like to fight.

Finding something we all agree on, even something as worthwhile as the Covid vaccine, is tough.

Not comparable to a country like Israel and a close knit tribe like the Jewish people in the slightest.

Aaaaaand.....of course, you know nothing about Israel. Classic.

Love ya, McM, but this is nonsense.

Love ya, McM, but this is nonsense.
Doc compare the data from states that mandated masks with those that didn’t. You’ll find the answer about masks. And I’m in for wearing masks. Maybe they prevent 10 percent or 1 percent. Whatever. It’s worth it. They aren’t a big deal. But they were made political theatre. Look at the states and counties without mask mandates and how their numbers compare. The data is readily available. Again no filter

If masks were as effective as we were led to believe you’d see more of a distinction in outcomes

Last edited:
Doc compare the data from states that mandated masks with those that didn’t. You’ll find the answer about masks. And I’m in for wearing masks. Maybe they prevent 10 percent or 1 percent. Whatever. It’s worth it. They aren’t a big deal. But they were made political theatre. Look at the states and counties without mask mandates and how their numbers compare. The data is readily available. Again no filter

If masks were as effective as we were led to believe you’d see more of a distinction in outcomes
Okay, but even 1% is significant in a country with 330 million people. It’s also important as a sign that we’re all together in this fight. But, of course,Americans, who love to say we’re the greatest inthe world, never put their money where their mouth is.

it’s pathetic.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

Like most things having to do with COVID19 there were/are multiple variables involved with the success or failure of Masking and Mask Mandates...

The politicalization of it (evangelically by Both sides) was just another added layer of polarization splitting an already divided, rapidly becoming hyper-partisan (again, on Both sides) populace...

Before everyone runs to "see I told you Orange Man was Bad"...; I can give you multiple examples of the flip side of his poor messaging when it came to COVID19: for starters our current VP undermining the vaccine program by saying she didn't trust it just to pick up some campaign points and Coumo basically saying the same thing (knowingly costing lives to gain polling points)...

If we were All able to somehow step back from the emotion and the politics of the topic (Masking) and look at it purely from a Public Health perspective then we all might someday actually have a rational discussion of it... (which seems highly unlikely to ever happen 😞 given that it's a ready political cudgel to be gleefully wielded by all)😣

First some understanding... Most current commercially available masks (to the general public) do not actually "protect" the user. They Do help protect others around the mask user/wearer, by simply helping slow the projection of the micro particles being spewed out of everyone's mouth and nose during normal respiration thus dropping the Viral Load floating in the airspace the next individual encounters (in most cases..., however many simple neck pull-ups have been shown in the lab to actually make things worse... [Another [!]potentially deadly variable for someone]...

Looks like I'm headed into to long winded dissertation territory (where people stop reading at the 2nd paragraph) with this so I'll try to wrap things up...

1st: anything better than just a neck pull-up helps knock down the Viral Load projected into another's airspace... (and two masks Are better than one but thems fighten words so one mask is better than nothing)...

2nd: Whether you're indoors or outdoors matters (a lot[!]) The greater the airflow and the higher the UV coefficient the lower the Viral Load

3rd: Common Sense & Common Courtesy (which appears to be dead as I once knew it)... If you're under 40 with no underlying health problems and have enough vitamin D in your system the chances are Great this current version of the virus really is no more dangerous than the flu to you (as long as you've done your Ultra-Cardio work😉)... Don't get too comfortable though youngsters..., there's a varient out there right now attempting to mutate with "Millennials We're Commin Fer You" in it's soon to be published name...count on it...
Just because you're not going to die from it doesn't give you a pass to not look out for the other guy...

//Long, long ago, in a fabled land far, faraway I have a very dim recollection of people coming together to fight against a common threat and helping out and looking after one another even when they weren't directly affected... Boy I Really miss those folks...//

There's a Lot more to be said on the topic but I'd imagine I've lost most of you by now so... to McMurty and the other guy who struggled thru this: thank you for your attention... 😉😎

McMurty my rant/dissertation above is/was not aimed at you directly, it's moreso an overview of my thoughts on the topic...😎🇺🇸

Last edited:
The issue isn't so much about mask mandate as it is about those people/places that refused to follow or enforce the mandates. Even in places that had strong orders, a sizable portion of the population simply refused to comply.
Great point.

Masks help prevent the spread of illness. So does social distancing. So does being outside. It's insane that there are still people who want to debate this.

The Sturgis (South Dakota) biker rally in 2020, the largest US public gathering last summer where people were crammed into bars and no one wore masks, led to 260,000 Covid cases. Trump's Oklahoma rally, another rare indoor mass gathering during the height of Covid - - where social distancing tape was removed by organizers and masks were largely avoided - - was another super-spreader event. So was his Amy Coney Barrett celebration, where relatively few wore masks. It's doubtful people got sick from the Rose Garden ceremony, but from the indoor events that followed.

Florida, which has done better, overall, than some states with strict mandates, is referenced by some as support for the absurd argument that masks and social distancing don't make a difference. Florida has the benefit, though, of a climate that is conducive to outdoor activities most of the year. What's forgotten by some is that, for several weeks last summer, Florida was the Covid capital of the US. Summer, of course, is when people in Florida move indoors.

Reactions: UncleMark
Great point.

Masks help prevent the spread of illness. So does social distancing. So does being outside. It's insane that there are still people who want to debate this.

The Sturgis (South Dakota) biker rally in 2020, the largest US public gathering last summer where people were crammed into bars and no one wore masks, led to 260,000 Covid cases. Trump's Oklahoma rally, another rare indoor mass gathering during the height of Covid - - where social distancing tape was removed by organizers and masks were largely avoided - - was another super-spreader event. So was his Amy Coney Barrett celebration, where relatively few wore masks. It's doubtful people got sick from the Rose Garden ceremony, but from the indoor events that followed.

Florida, which has done better, overall, than some states with strict mandates, is referenced by some as support for the absurd argument that masks and social distancing don't make a difference. Florida has the benefit, though, of a climate that is conducive to outdoor activities most of the year. What's forgotten by some is that, for several weeks last summer, Florida was the Covid capital of the US. Summer, of course, is when people in Florida move indoors.
16 states never had mask mandates. Not just fla. not all are warm weather states. you can track their outcomes vs states with mandates. There’s no appreciable difference. Ditto for counties. Stl county strict mask mandate vs Saint Charles co next door with a moat in between (the Wild West).

Masks I’m sure work if they are the right masks, if they are worn properly, if they fit right, if they are changed frequently, etc. I don’t believe much of any of that happened. My kid’s class is out on quarantine again for Covid. They wear masks all day long. I suspect they do all of the things I just noted. What’s more the gov was recently testing two masks and they said it was helpful. They tested on a mannequin. Not a real person. In real life conditions. The latter is only what’s salient

Maybe if the gov sent us all proper masks in the mail every 3 days it would have made more of a distance. As it stands masks were mostly politics and the US never had a plan to fight Covid. Wear masks and avoid each other isn’t a plan.

I stand by my theory that it moved like wildfire and if your community was in the throes of a hotspot masks weren’t going to do shit to thwart it

We have a year of data now to compare outcomes of states and counties with and without masks. It’s right there. No filter

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
16 states never had mask mandates. Not just fla. you can track their outcomes vs states with mandates. There’s no appreciable difference. Ditto for counties

Masks I’m sure work if they are the right masks, if they are worn properly, if they fit right, if they are changed frequently, etc. I don’t believe much of any of that happened. My kid’s class is out on quarantine again for Covid. They wear masks all day long. I suspect they do all of the things I just noted. What’s more the gov was recently testing two masks and they said it was helpful. They tested on a mannequin. Not a real person. In real life conditions. The latter is only what’s salient

Maybe if the gov sent us all proper masks in the mail every 3 days it would have made more of a distance. As it stands masks were mostly politics and the US never had a plan to fight Covid. Wear masks and avoid each other isn’t a plan.

I stand by my theory that it moved like wildfire and if your community was in the throes of a hotspot masks weren’t going to do shit to thwart it
Masks became political because the leader of the Republican Party made them political and mocked those (like his opponent) who wore them.

And none of this is really about state "mandates." First, county and local executives in many states that didn't have statewide mandates still imposed mask requirements. So did local businesses. Further, and as Old Cougar noted earlier in the thread, it comes down to the cooperation and consideration of residents. In many locales, irrespective of the blue/red color of the state, people simply don't give a shit about anyone but themselves.

Masks became political because the leader of the Republican Party made them political and mocked those (like his opponent) who wore them.

And none of this is really about state "mandates." First, county and local executives in many states that didn't have statewide mandates still imposed mask requirements. So did local businesses. Further, and as Old Cougar noted earlier in the thread, it comes down to the cooperation and consideration of residents. In many locales, irrespective of the blue/red color of the state, people simply don't give a shit about anyone but themselves.
Agreed that it often came down to locals, but one can also infer greater compliance in those states with mandates. Also agree many people blue and red just do t give a shit

Agreed that it often came down to locals, but one can also infer greater compliance in those states with mandates. Also agree many people blue and red just do t give a shit
Again, state "mandates" are not dispositive, and I wouldn't make that inference at all, particularly in a mobile society with interstate travel. And no one is/was enforcing mandates in homes and cars. I've gotta get to work. Have the last word if you must.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

This could be all of us if it weren't for the vaccine skeptics. They think it's a game

Reactions: Spartans9312
and not preoccupied with a virus that does next to nothing to most 20 somethings.
Right. they never have to meet the families of grandmas they've helped kill or the people they've given long covid to and thus have a clear conscience. Ignorance is truly bliss, selfish as FK but still bliss..

Reactions: DrHoops

HDG, you bring up an interesting discussion when you state, "This country is an amalgamation of different races, creeds, beliefs like nowhere else in the world.?

Starting with our insistence that everyone speak English along with all the requirements to become a citizen, etc., it could be argued our amalgamation has some strings attached to it.

Having said that, most of us firmly believe those strings are necessary for both citizens and those who want to be citizens.

It is an interesting data point, but the fact of the matter is that I live in a state with a Republican Gov who ended mask mandates early and work in a state that has a Democratic Gov who has kept mask mandates in place. Guess what? Most in the no mask state still wear masks out of social responsibility (and most retail places still publicize it as a requirement), while the mask state still has the anti-mask fools who refuse to wear them. The rate of not wearing is not significantly different to my untrained eye, AND there is tremendous movement between the states (NC and SC), so I'd say that largely explains it. If masks don't work, why is this one of the lowest years for flu outbreaks in recent years? They suck, but they work and are part of any public health plan.

It is an interesting data point, but the fact of the matter is that I live in a state with a Republican Gov who ended mask mandates early and work in a state that has a Democratic Gov who has kept mask mandates in place. Guess what? Most in the no mask state still wear masks out of social responsibility (and most retail places still publicize it as a requirement), while the mask state still has the anti-mask fools who refuse to wear them. The rate of not wearing is not significantly different to my untrained eye, AND there is tremendous movement between the states (NC and SC), so I'd say that largely explains it. If masks don't work, why is this one of the lowest years for flu outbreaks in recent years? They suck, but they work and are part of any public health plan.
“The fact of the matter....”. The fact is the data shows we have no idea what is or isn’t fact. There are more states and counties to compare than yours. You have no idea if they work. And wear a mask isn’t a plan. We have a year of data. A Massive number of counties and states to compare. As I said I’m absolutely for wearing them but your “they work” is showing your political bent. You have no idea if that’s true. Fauci has no idea why some wide open no mask states have performed better than lockdown states.

Again I’m 100 percent for masks. It’s a minor, minor thing to wear a mask so if it works 1 percent I’m in. But they were highly politicized and I’m skeptical of their value now having a year of data behind us

Last edited:
It’s so funny to me people think “mask” states WANT to wear masks.. that’s what’s so absurd about this controversy. I hate wearing a mask as much as anyone, but we want to get this thing over with as soon as possible.

Would people want their open heart surgeon doing surgery with no mask on? My father is a retired dentist. He and his hygienists always wore masks too. The idea that they’re useless is complete absurdity.

Reactions: kkott and 76-1
It’s so funny to me people think “mask” states WANT to wear masks.. that’s what’s so absurd about this controversy. I hate wearing a mask as much as anyone, but we want to get this thing over with as soon as possible.

Would people want their open heart surgeon doing surgery with no mask on? My father is a retired dentist. He and his hygienists always wore masks too. The idea that they’re useless is complete absurdity.
1. No one said anything about WANT.
2. No one said they are useless.

The issue is outcomes and data; not feelings and politics.

The reality is that we have a year of data to rely upon. States of all different sizes and levels of travel. So too with counties. We have fauci and the cdc testing two masks on a dummy. Meaningless. What matters is how do masks work on people in every day life with the multitude of different masks, fault in wearing them, fault in changing them. Not hyperbolic nonsense of extremes like "USELESS" and WANT. I'm on Team BlueAnon (*Ranger) so whatever they push by god i agree!!!

We have a country of people that simply refuse to think for themselves. Refuse to look at actual data, but instead are media driven automatons. The truth is we have no idea how helpful masks are in slowing the spread. For everyone that says "yes masks" we can point to data that says those counties with less participation have not performed any worse. So again I am for masks because it's a minor thing to do and if it even provides 1 percent benefit let's do it; but to pretend it's some panacea or a plan is politics. I sure has hell would have rather lived in florida or texas than calif or new york during this pandemic. moving stats demonstrate as much

Last edited:
1. No one said anything about WANT.
2. No one said they are useless.

The issue is outcomes and data; not feelings and politics.

The reality is that we have a year of data to rely upon. States of all different sizes and levels of travel. So too with counties. We have fauci and the cdc testing two masks on a dummy. Meaningless. What matters is how do masks work on people in every day life with the multitude of different masks, fault in wearing them, fault in changing them. Not hyperbolic nonsense of extremes like "USELESS" and WANT. I'm on Team BlueAnon (*Ranger) so whatever they push by god i agree!!!

We have a country of people that simply refuse to think for themselves. Refuse to look at actual data, but instead are media driven automatons.
So when you go get surgery or dental work, insist that no one wear a masks. Go ahead and let the doctors cough directly into your mouth or wound. See how that turns out.

Reactions: kkott
So when you go get surgery or dental work, insist that no one wear a masks. Go ahead and let the doctors cough directly into your mouth or wound. See how that turns out.
Nonresponsive. Apples to oranges. They have medical grade masks. They're in a sterile environment. Many patients are already sick. On and on. They arent joe bag of doughnuts with the same dirty gator he's had on for a year. if these things mattered so much we'd have n95s mailed to our homes weekly. for pick up at every library. it's just a political thing to fight over and was used as another divisive political tool.

calif was no better than fla and on and on and on. the data from the states and counties is arguably more persuasive than some bs lab setting with a mask on a dummy catching droplets.

again again again i'm for masks. F it. they're no big deal. but trump, fauci, and the cdc never had a plan. wear a mask and stay away from each other isn't a plan

Last edited:
“The fact of the matter....”. The fact is the data shows we have no idea what is or isn’t fact. There are more states and counties to compare than yours. You have no idea if they work. And wear a mask isn’t a plan. We have a year of data. A Massive number of counties and states to compare. As I said I’m absolutely for wearing them but your “they work” is showing your political bent. You have no idea if that’s true. Fauci has no idea why some wide open no mask states have performed better than lockdown states.

Again I’m 100 percent for masks. It’s a minor, minor thing to wear a mask so if it works 1 percent I’m in. But they were highly politicized and I’m skeptical of their value now having a year of data behind us
Wow, you can tell my political bent from 1 post? Can you share it with me; I hate most of our politicians and parties' platforms equally to my mind!

I'd have to know what states you are referring to specifically, but my guess is the states without mask mandates you mention have significant portions of their population in less crowded and more rural areas, and the mask ones have larger population centers.

I agree with your last paragraph, and can't speak to the % of effectiveness, but I don't think there's much doubt they help. It's one of the factors most public health officials point to in the much lower than normal flu #s.

Nonresponsive. Apples to oranges. They have medical grade masks. They're in a sterile environment. Many patients are already sick. On and on. They arent joe bag of doughnuts with the same dirty gator he's had on for a year. if these things mattered so much we'd have n95s mailed to our homes weekly. for pick up at every library. it's just a political thing to fight over and was used as another divisive political tool.

calif was no better than fla and on and on and on. the data from the states and counties is arguably more persuasive than some bs lab setting with a mask on a dummy catching droplets.

again again again i'm for masks. F it. they're no big deal. but trump, fauci, and the cdc never had a plan. wear a mask and stay away from each other isn't a plan
Apparently masks are just a way for Fauci to sit back and get a big laugh out of making everyone do something miserable.

They’re trying to do everything they can to make this pandemic goes away as quickly as possible.

Apparently masks are just a way for Fauci to sit back and get a big laugh out of making everyone do something miserable.

They’re trying to do everything they can to make this pandemic goes away as quickly as possible.
Trump fauci and the cdc have been a lesson in incompetence. Private companies are bailing us out with vaccines

A health campaign to get healthy and lose weight. . Isolate vulnerable people. Vit D. Zinc. Distribute masks that work to every home, school, library. Contract prime to do it. On and on.

I think you’re forgetting about every other country on the face of the Earth right now.

ADVERTISEMENT