ADVERTISEMENT

Is Yogi under appreciated?

Let 'er Fly

Junior
Feb 12, 2005
Dude is a stud. Went off last night, yet the board is not going off on his performance. I know he's still a very popular player and we really like his play, but I think he does not get as much kudos bc he was lumped in there with other players that did not meet expectations.

He's a workhorse that loves the game and continues to get better - better shooting, fewer crazy TOs.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Indeed, Yogi is under appreciated. He is the leader of the team; the glue that holds the team together.

You asked for this

Yogi, this year, has changed for the better from previous years. His assists are sky high. His turnovers are virtually nonexistent. He hits his free throws. He is a good floor general. He has a good sense of the game. He is steady and reliable.

But, he is also human. As a point guard, arguably the most important position on the team, the microscope is on him. I dont blame Yogi for the loss to Syracuse 2 years ago. Our shooting guard was hurt and we didn't match up well against Syracuse. But Yogi gets the blame because he couldn't distribute the ball on that night.Credit goes to the defense of Syracuse. He forced it and we turned over the ball a lot. Too much was on his shoulders that night.

Even now some people don't see that he really is a good defender. They also see echos of when he, in previous years, would slow things down, dribbling at the top of the key...and time would run down...and out. And when he would drive into the middle only to get his shot blocked.

Last night, for instance, he did a good job stopping his man from breaking lose. But, Maryland still shot 50% which is not necessarily considered a good defensive effort by IU. IU shot lights out and won.

So, IU's older fans, me included, see lack of defense as an Achilles heel along with 3-point shots taken quickly. We will lose some. IU doesn't really defend well. So who gets the blame? Yogi and CTC. Besides, we all know that Yogi can hit the 3. So he does. Where has that been the last few games? Of course he was in a shooting slump. But he is our main guy. He can't slump, right?

I think that Yogi walks on water this year. My bro-in-law and my wife don't. I'm leaving my family and joining up with Yogi.

Heard him interviewed after the game last night.

He was asked something about the remarkable shooting from the team against Maryland. He replied that he along with several others had been spending late nights in the gym working on their shooting.
I agree he is under appreciated and we will miss him when he is gone for sure. He is an amazing shooter off the dribb;e when he is on.

I've softened my stance on Yogi...

Yogi plays his arse off both offensively and defensively. He has driven me nuts with his wild baseline drives and leaps in the lane with nowhere to go.

I blame Crean for forcing Yogi to play like a damn fool more than I blame Yogi. That seems to have moderated this year. I'm not sure who made the adjustment, Crean or Yogi. Maybe it is just the fact that Yogi has more offensive weapons to distribute to this year. I haven't looked at the numbers, but my guess is that Yogi's assist and turnover numbers have improved from last year.

I hope Crean is looking for an elite PG now, because Yogi will be sorely missed when he is gone.

Terps by 10-12. Thank you for continuing your incredible

streak of horrible analysis. Keep it coming!

Re: I've softened my stance on Yogi...

Crean didn't coach Yogi in high school. Yogi is Yogi, and he's had the same flair on the court at IU as he did at PT.

You're right about having better shooters this year. Last year, Yogi penetrates and dishes to the corner and we had a missed shot, while this year that shot goes in. Results include 3pts. and an assist, something that didn't happened often enough last year.

Yogi is tough at both ends of the floor, something that's going to get him an opportunity to play at the next level,....that could come as early as next year. Individually, he has little more to prove at the college level.

Re: Terps by 10-12. Thank you for continuing your incredible

LOL pull your skirt down Skippy. You have issues if someone on a basketball board makes a prediction that turns out wrong upsets you so much. Maybe you need a hobby.
Originally posted by mike41703:
streak of horrible analysis. Keep it coming!

He had been struggling. He needed this game.

Prior to this game, I thought he was throwing up too many bad shots and ruining the flow of the offense. He hadn't been hitting 3s with much consistency of late. However he's a shooter and it's actually probably best for the team that he does throw up shots and works his way through shooting slumps. He has a habit of showing up in big games and when's he's on there isn't a better guard in the country. He's one of the quickest with the ball in his hands and on good days he's as good of a shooter as anyone.

This post was edited on 1/23 9:09 AM by leedawg4707

I wouldn't say he's struggled. Against Illannoy

he had a poor shooting night. So to counter that he has 9 assists and 1 TO. I still think this team goes as Yogi goes.

CTC has continued to say that this year

After saying it several times last year. He thinks yogi is way undervalued for his play at both ends of the court!

From what I hear and read .... Yogi works his BUTT off !!!!

A real gym rat. What more can one ask for?

Sure, I have complained the usual complaints ..; dribbles to much with no particular place to go, blah blah blah

That young man is a True WARRIOR. He will be soooooooo missed when he's gone. So, let's enjoy every game left.

So, go ahead and dribble all you want young man ....cuz, mark it down, I am DONE nitpicking his "flaws". I am aboard the Yogi Gravy Train!!!!!

Re: I've softened my stance on Yogi...

Yogi's not going anywhere. For the same reasons that Jason Gardner stuck it out for four years at Arizona. College production aside, the NBA is a little gunshy on 5'10 guards unless they are a sure-fire can't-miss.

Player comparison

Yogi definitely played at an elite level last night. It shows that he's been working on his 1 on 1 skills to create separation from the defender. That step back is extremely tough to guard. He's starting to remind me of a bulkier Kemba Walker. I know Kemba is a few inches taller, but they are both warriors, they make big shots, want the ball at the end up games, know how to use their shorter size, and that step back is their trademark. Does anyone else see Yogi as this comparison?

Yes, he is a stud. His biggest improvement is his on court

leadership. Getting into others' face to tell them where they were supposed to be if a play did not work. Obviously, his to's are down as his supporting cast is also getting better. JBJ & RJ were a godsend to him for sure. This whole team has gotten it together. As far as his driving to the baseline and jumping to make a pass. The drive is intended and part of the set play. Probably the jump is not so much. vbg.

Only thing I was disappointed in him last night was his not taking the layup on a late play. Resulted in a turnover and a made basket by MD. Of course Yogi redeemed himself on the next possession by hitting a 3!!!! vbg

I am sure he stays for his last year. Next year could be awesome. Is there any chance he is near Lewis' assist record?

ADVERTISEMENT