ADVERTISEMENT

Is this the end for Bibi?

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
Per Axios, right-wing Yamina leader Naftali Bennett is on the verge of announcing his intention to join opposition leader Yair Lapid in forming a coalition "change government" for the primary purpose of finally ousting Netanyahu. As Yamina and Lapid's Yesh Atid party disagree on several fundamental issues, the coalition will be very narrowly focused on economic recovery, Covid, and maintaining a ceasefire in Gaza. Bennett will serve as PM, and if the coalition somehow hasn't fallen apart by then, Lapid will switch roles with him in two years. Although it's not listed in any manifesto, my guess is the fourth plank in their coalition will be to promptly throw any pending legislation designed to grant immunity to the current PM right into the paper shredder.

Reactions: UncleMark
Update: it's going to be official. Lapid somehow found a way to bring together the far right, the secularists, and even an Arab party (for the first time in Israeli history an Arab party will be part of forming a government) in order to bring down Bibi. The Arabs signed on with two hours to go before the deadline, giving the coalition the necessary majority.

Reactions: Morrison
I was just reading this reporting a few minutes ago. Sheesh, talk about a cobbled together mess. As you said the other day, they really really want to get rid of Bibi.

Knowing virtually nothing of Israeli politics, even I can figure out that any government that has Abbas voting to support Bennett as PM must necessarily be founded on a very strong hatred of Bibi.

Knowing virtually nothing of Israeli politics, even I can figure out that any government that has Abbas voting to support Bennett as PM must necessarily be founded on a very strong hatred of Bibi.
I don't follow the politics either.... do you know why they hate him so much?

Things that make you go hm. . . . .

This week, Senator Elizabeth Warren implored Israel’s opposition parties to unite and oust Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu so that the United States could facilitate the creation of a Palestinian state. Though Democrats have quietly meddled in Israel’s elections numerous times over decades — from Clintonistas to Obamaites to the now-disgraced Lincoln Project — I can’t remember a United States senator ever openly chiming in on the democratic process of an ally in quite this way.​

From the little I know, he is Israeli Trump: basically, a far right asshole. I believe he has been in power for 12 years, so people are probably sick of him. I don't believe he has been very good for the peace process with Palestinians.

From the little I know, he is Israeli Trump: basically, a far right asshole. I believe he has been in power for 12 years, so people are probably sick of him. I don't believe he has been very good for the peace process with Palestinians.
Bibi has been a thorn in the side of the Democrat’s ME policy for years. The temporal relationship between the Democrats taking over US foreign policy and Bibi’s ouster is suspicious. I wouldn’t be surprised to see our finger prints all over this.

Reactions: 76-1
Bibi has been a thorn in the side of the Democrat’s ME policy for years. The temporal relationship between the Democrats taking over US foreign policy and Bibi’s ouster is suspicious. I wouldn’t be surprised to see our finger prints all over this.
*eyeroll*

Reactions: UncleMark
It's a different ballgame now that Trump is out. I do think that US policy towards Israel is changing, and the US does carry a lot of weight in Israel due to aid and support. The idea that all Palestinians are terrorists and Israel can do no wrong is going in the dust bin, and a desire for both sides to get along and not pick sides is gaining more traction. As a US taxpayer and citizen, I don't want the US supporting Israel's persecution of Palestinians and would rather support a peace process.

Bibi is not the Israeli Trump. Agree or disagree with his politics, Netanyahu is a very smart individual (MIT grad), with a lot of political savvy. He's the longest serving Israeli PM in history and did a lot as Finance Minister to incentivize Israeli tech company creation. He then marketed that industry to other nations (in the Middle East and Africa) very well, creating a shared commercial interest between Israel and nations that hated it but now do so much business with it, they seem to have an interest in NOT destroying it. Silicon Wadi is now considered second only to Silicon Valley in tech entrepreneurship.

He is hardline with respect to Palestine and Iran, he's a believer in free markets, and he might be corrupt. But he is no Trump.

It's a different ballgame now that Trump is out. I do think that US policy towards Israel is changing, and the US does carry a lot of weight in Israel due to aid and support. The idea that all Palestinians are terrorists and Israel can do no wrong is going in the dust bin, and a desire for both sides to get along and not pick sides is gaining more traction. As a US taxpayer and citizen, I don't want the US supporting Israel's persecution of Palestinians and would rather support a peace process.
No argument about the peace process.

Biden intends to remove or at least relax Trump’s Iranian sanctions. The Iranian rockets fired from Gaza by Hamas are offensive weapons. Iran and Hamas say Israel should not exist. I can’t connect the peace process dots Biden is making. Better was Trump’s approach of using Arab states to isolate and pressure Iran.

No argument about the peace process.

Biden intends to remove or at least relax Trump’s Iranian sanctions. The Iranian rockets fired from Gaza by Hamas are offensive weapons. Iran and Hamas say Israel should not exist. I can’t connect the peace process dots Biden is making. Better was Trump’s approach of using Arab states to isolate and pressure Iran.
And the war weapons Israel uses are funded by the US and, often times, even more offensive against Palestinians since Israel is stronger. Supporting politicians like Nehaytanu isn't much different than Iran supporting Hamas, and I don't want any of that on me. There are assholes on both sides, and recognizing that is one of the main steps in achieving peace.

And the war weapons Israel uses are funded by the US and, often times, even more offensive against Palestinians since Israel is stronger. Supporting politicians like Nehaytanu isn't much different than Iran supporting Hamas, and I don't want any of that on me. There are assholes on both sides, and recognizing that is one of the main steps in achieving peace.
Ah . . . The old “both sides” argument. That hasn’t worked in more than 50 years. What did begin to work was aligning the Jews and Arabs against Iran. But Biden shitcanned that from day one as he is trying to return to both sidesism.

Ah . . . The old “both sides” argument. That hasn’t worked in more than 50 years. What did begin to work was aligning the Jews and Arabs against Iran. But Biden shitcanned that from day one as he is trying to return to both sidesism.
Sure, Trump was figuring out the Middle East, lol. I would rather support peaceful Palestinians and Jews than Hamas and politicians like Nehaytanu.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Sure, Trump was figuring out the Middle East, lol. I would rather support peaceful Palestinians and Jews than Hamas and politicians like Nehaytanu.
Jews can’t live in Gaza or even in some no-go zones in the West Bank. Arabs live, vote, and hold public office in Israel.

Jews can’t live in Gaza or even in some no-go zones in the West Bank. Arabs live, vote, and hold public office in Israel.
A vast majority of Palestinians live in Gaza, West Bank, and outside of Israel. Roughly 20% of Israel's population are Palestinians, a pretty big minority. There is a blockade of Gaza and apartheid walls for the West Bank. The blockade of Gaza has ruined it. Israel isn't some kind of paradise for Palestinians, and Israelis like Netanyahu don't want any Palestinians in Israel and want the West Bank for Jews only: it is apartheid, and Zionism doesn't include Palestinians.

Last edited:
We had a move towards a process with the Abraham Accords. The Palestinians have been offered a state many times and have turned it down each time in the belief that they (and their Arab friends) were going to eradicate the Jews From Israel. That is not going to happen.

Ol 'Joe and the Democrats get back in charge, start making overtures to Iran again, and suddenly the Palestinians start in with their nonsense again. Big shock there.

If the Palestinians don't like getting bombed, they should stop lobbing missiles at their neighbor. War is not meant to be a proportional response. Ask the Iraqis about that in Kuwait.

We had a move towards a process with the Abraham Accords. The Palestinians have been offered a state many times and have turned it down each time in the belief that they (and their Arab friends) were going to eradicate the Jews From Israel. That is not going to happen.

Ol 'Joe and the Democrats get back in charge, start making overtures to Iran again, and suddenly the Palestinians start in with their nonsense again. Big shock there.

If the Palestinians don't like getting bombed, they should stop lobbing missiles at their neighbor. War is not meant to be a proportional response. Ask the Iraqis about that in Kuwait.
The Jews and Palestinians have been fighting over the land forever: neither is better than the other, and there are people on both sides that still want to totally boot the others from the land (check out what Israel is doing in the West Bank). True, the Jews won the the land war and they aren't going anywhere, and the surrounding Arab states aren't as willing to go to war with Israel as they were in 1948-1980 or so. I would also say that the Palestinians are still around, even though are much weaker and don't have the same US support. I don't think war has gotten either side anywhere, and they need to find a way to coexist.

The cause of the recent conflict had nothing to do with Iran, but rather Israeli evictions of Palestinians in the West Bank and Israel restrictions of Palestinians, especially holy sites. The West Bank is supposed to be for the Palestinians in a two state solution for peace, and many Palestinians have relocated to the West Bank after being booted from their prior homes by Israel. Israel played their part in the conflict and aren't angels.

Old Trump moving the American embassy to Jerusalem, recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, and calling the Golan Heights part of Israel didn't exactly help matters in the region.

Last edited:
The Jews and Palestinians have been fighting over the land forever: neither is better than the other, and there are people on both sides that still want to totally boot the others from the land (check out what Israel is doing in the West Bank). True, the Jews won the the land war and they aren't going anywhere, and the surrounding Arab states aren't as willing to go to war with Israel as they were in 1948-1980 or so. I would also say that the Palestinians are still around and, even though are much weaker and don't have the same US support. I don't think war has gotten either side anywhere, and they need to find a way to coexist.

The cause of the recent conflict had nothing to do with Iran, but rather Israeli evictions of Palestinians in the West Bank and Israel restrictions of Palestinians, especially holy sites. The West Bank is supposed to be for the Palestinians in a two state solution for peace, and many Palestinians have relocated to the West Bank after being booted from their prior homes by Israeli. Israel played their part in the conflict and aren't angels.

Old Trump moving the American embassy to Jerusalem, recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, and calling the Golan Heights part of Israel didn't exactly help matters in the region.
Good, thoughtful post which should be a good example for those posters who are inclined to be emotional and usually to not do much factual research.

Last edited:
Good, thoughtful post which should be a good example for those posters who are inclined to be emotional and usually to not do much factual research.
Except that the post isn’t accurate. The issue of evictions is still pending in Israeli courts. The rocket attacks were for the same reason as any Iran/Hamas rocket attacks—they hate Jews. The pending evictions are a red herring.

Except that the post isn’t accurate. The issue of evictions is still pending in Israeli courts. The rocket attacks were for the same reason as any Iran/Hamas rocket attacks—they hate Jews. The pending evictions are a red herring.
What legal justification could there be for the evictions? What question is there for the courts to decide?

Bibi is not the Israeli Trump. Agree or disagree with his politics, Netanyahu is a very smart individual (MIT grad), with a lot of political savvy.
[...]
He is hardline with respect to Palestine and Iran, he's a believer in free markets, and he might be corrupt. But he is no Trump.

No, but he knew how to play Trump like a fiddle.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
What would the reason be for Israel killing a bunch of children: they hate them?

Under Israeli law, Israelis have the right to reclaim properties in East Jerusalem that had been owned by them before the 1948 Arab–Israeli War, but the reverse does not apply for Palestinian property in Israel. Sounds like an unfair double standard.

Last edited:
Reactions: cosmickid
In terms of criminality/ corruption, he makes Trump look like a Saint. He's been indicted on corruption/bribery charges at least twice that I can think of...

What would the reason be for Israel killing a bunch of children: they hate them?

Under Israeli law, Israelis have the right to reclaim properties in East Jerusalem that had been owned by them before the 1948 Arab–Israeli War, but the reverse does not apply for Palestinian property in Israel. Sounds like an unfair double standard.

The Israeli/Palestinian situation is very complex and I don't think you are giving that complexity as much weight as you should. For example, I highly doubt that the Israeli military targeted Palestinian children. There is a long-running question about whether and to what extent Hamas is actually using children as human shields for their attacks on Israel:

Why do they attack these places? 1. Self-defense to destroy places housing rockets; 2. Deterrence for future attacks.

You also seem to be justifying Hamas's attacks on Israel because of the eviction of 13 families. Surely you aren't claiming that because the legal process in Israel didn't favor these 13 families--because there is a "double standard" in Israeli law--that Hamas was justified in firing rockets into Israel, murdering innocent people?

Of course the reason for the "double standard" is that the Palestinians lost a war to Israel, a war they and the Arab League started. Shouldn't wars have consequences?

I'm not justifying the proportionality of Israel's response here. I'm just saying there's a hell of a lot of considerations that go into those decisions, and they are being made by people who have been under siege by the nation states around them and a terrorist organization in their midst since their founding, over 70 years ago. I've never found it useful to monday-morning quarterback those decisions from my vantage point of growing up in Indiana and spending my life within a safe, well-protected nation with superpower status.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jet812 and IUJIM
Why are there Jewish settlers (many from the US, like this guy) in East Jerusalem and the occupied territories?

Reactions: HoosierJimbo89
The Israeli/Palestinian situation is very complex and I don't think you are giving that complexity as much weight as you should. For example, I highly doubt that the Israeli military targeted Palestinian children. There is a long-running question about whether and to what extent Hamas is actually using children as human shields for their attacks on Israel:

Why do they attack these places? 1. Self-defense to destroy places housing rockets; 2. Deterrence for future attacks.

You also seem to be justifying Hamas's attacks on Israel because of the eviction of 13 families. Surely you aren't claiming that because the legal process in Israel didn't favor these 13 families--because there is a "double standard" in Israeli law--that Hamas was justified in firing rockets into Israel, murdering innocent people?

Of course the reason for the "double standard" is that the Palestinians lost a war to Israel, a war they and the Arab League started. Shouldn't wars have consequences?

I'm not justifying the proportionality of Israel's response here. I'm just saying there's a hell of a lot of considerations that go into those decisions, and they are being made by people who have been under siege by the nation states around them and a terrorist organization in their midst since their founding, over 70 years ago. I've never found it useful to monday-morning quarterback those decisions from my vantage point of growing up in Indiana and spending my life within a safe, well-protected nation with superpower status.
I purposefully responded in a simple way regarding Israel's motivations because a previous poster provided a simple response to Palestine's motivations. I responded this way to show how complex of a situation it is for both sides and that neither side is better than the other.

When Israel drops bombs into a civilian area with a blockade where nobody can leave, what does Israel think is going to happen? Israel knows they will kill civilians and don't care. It isn't even a matter of "human shields" or any other purpose Israel may have. Israel's bombs are no different than Hamas firing rockets into a civilian area, arguably worse since Israel has protection from the Iron Dome. Civilians are going to be hurt and killed, and the Palestinians get hurt and killed 20X more than Israelis. I am justifying neither Israel's bombs nor Palestine's rockets.

The war has been going on forever. It has to end at some point. Israel got their country, and the Palestinians have to be able to exist somewhere. Apartheid and persecution are not the answer. The assholes on both sides that want to continue the war and carnage are the problem. Hamas is no different from the Israeli extremists that persecute Palestinians and want them out. If you are going to call Hamas terrorists, then call Israel terrorists as well.

Reactions: cosmickid

And you seem to be justifying Hamas's attacks on Israel because of the eviction of 13 families. Surely you aren't claiming that because the legal process in Israel didn't favor these 13 families--because there is a "double standard" in Israeli law--that Hamas was justified in firing rockets into Israel, murdering innocent people?

I'm not justifying the proportionality of Israel's response here. I'm just saying there's a hell of a lot of considerations that go into those decisions, and they are being made by people who have been under siege by the nation states around them and a terrorist organization in their midst for 50 years. I've never found it useful to monday-morning quarterback those decisions from my vantage point of growing up in Indiana and spending my life within a safe, well-protected nation with superpower status.
On one hand, you say (correctly) that it's a very complex situation. But then you proceed to give the standard Israel good Arabs bad rationale that we were all taught in history class. Mainly because Israel was our anti-Communist ally and the Arab states were supplied by the Soviets...

I was 12 yrs old when Israel captured the areas they claimed after the '67 war. They've secured peace treaties with all of the Arab nations they fought wars with and they are the preeminent military power in the Middle East. In other words, there is no longer any question of Israel's survival as a nation...

The problem now is Israeli settlers and their uniquely Israeli version of "manifest destiny". The original mandate called for two separate states, and while the Arab states of the time attacked Israel, it was the Palestinians that were caught in the crossfire. People who were living in Arab territory had their lands, homes, etc confiscated as Israel expanded its borders far beyond what the original mandate called for.

The refugees who were more or less gypsies living in what had been Arab territory in a place like Jordan, for example now found themselves under occupation and faced with refugee status. They had never really considered themselves "Jordanian" and basically wanted their homeland which the mandate had called for. They were the civilians who became the casualties among the warring Armies of Israel and the Arab states (Jordan,Egypt,Syria etc...).

They've already been displaced from the area where they were living in 1948, and where they were resettled to and were displaced from again in '67. Now the few areas where they had been displaced to and where their homes are/were have been invaded and confiscated by Jewish settlers who feel that their rights to land extend BEYOND the borders of Israel.

I don't think Arabs hate Jews for religious reasons, they co-existed for centuries and they share many of the same tenets. The problem is Land, and how 80% of the people who were living in Palestine in 1947 were Arab/Palestinian, which means they lost everything they had when Israel was created...

Now what little they have left is being claimed by zealot Israeli settlers as "given to them by God".These people are a real problem and even when they don't have the Israeli Govt's blessing to build or inhabit in a certain area, they just stubbornly rebuild shelters and makeshift homes after Israeli troops knock them down.

It's been going on for decades and it's one of the major stumbling blocks to any semblance of peace in the area. The problem is that the settlers have powerful political allies both within Israel and outside, and stupid moves like Trump recognizing Jerusalem ( a disputed city where lots of Arabs live) as opposed to Tel Aviv as the capital of Israel only made the situation worse...

As you said, it's very complicated... And these people and their entitled attitude are a HUGE problem...

Last edited:
On one hand, you say (correctly) that it's a very complex situation. But then you proceed to give the standard Israel good Arabs bad rationale that we were all taught in history class. Mainly because Israel was our anti-Communist ally and the Arab states were supplied by the Soviets...

I was 12 yrs old when Israel captured the areas they claimed after the '67 war. They've secured peace treaties with all of the Arab nations they fought wars with and they are the preeminent military power in the Middle East. In other words, there is no longer any question of Israel's survival as a nation...

The problem now is Israeli settlers and their uniquely Israeli version of "manifest destiny". The original mandate called for two separate states, and while the Arab states of the time attacked Israel, it was the Palestinians that were caught in the crossfire. People who were living in Arab territory had their lands, homes, etc confiscated as Israel expanded its borders far beyond what the original mandate called for.

The refugees who were more or less gypsies living in what had been Arab territory in a place like Jordan, for example now found themselves under occupation and faced with refugee status. They had never really considered themselves "Jordanian" and basically wanted their homeland which the mandate had called for. They were the civilians who became the casualties among the warring Armies of Israel and the Arab states (Jordan,Egypt,Syria etc...).

They've already been displaced from the area where they were living in 1948, and where they were resettled to and were displaced from again in '67. Now the few areas where they had been displaced to and where their homes are/were have been invaded and confiscated by Jewish settlers who feel that their rights to land extend BEYOND the borders of Israel.

I don't think Arabs hate Jews for religious reasons, they co-existed for centuries and they share many of the same tenets. The problem is Land, and how 80% of the people who were living in Palestine in 1947 were Arab/Palestinian, which means they lost everything they had when Israel was created...

Now what little they have left is being claimed by zealot Israeli settlers as "given to them by God".These people are a real problem and even when they don't have the Israeli Govt's blessing to build or inhabit in a certain area, they just stubbornly rebuild shelters and makeshift homes after Israeli troops knock them down.

It's been going on for decades and it's one of the major stumbling blocks to any semblance of peace in the area. The problem is that the settlers have powerful political allies both within Israel and outside, and stupid moves like Trump recognizing Jerusalem ( a disputed city where lots of Arabs live) as opposed to Tel Aviv as the capital of Israel only made the situation worse...

As you said, it's very complicated... And these people and their entitled attitude are a HUGE problem...

This is a response to both you, Cosmic, and Jimbo, but I don't know how to quote both in this.

I realize this is a polarizing topic with a lot of heat. I don't have any personal stake, but have close friends who do. So I'd just say we should be careful with our terms (I'm just as apt to mistakenly generalize as anyone so if I do so, please call that out).

Jimbo, equating Hamas to the entire nation of Israel is a true false equivalency. Hamas is, by its very charter committed to the destruction of Israel and has a military wing whose sole purpose is to wage armed conflict against Israel. Historically (and this, too, might be in its charter), Hamas has committed to terrorism in its purest form: suicide bombings, kidnappings and torture, firing rockets indiscriminately into civilian Israeli territory. It also attempts to goad Israel into using disproportionate force so that they can generate sympathy across the world in the hopes that it will one day destroy Israel (a tactic, I just learned, that Pancho Villa used in 1916 and that has a very old pedigree among revolutionaries).

With all that said, Hamas is not Palestine and not every Palestinian is Hamas anymore than every American is an imperialist or every Republican is a Trump supporter or every Democrat is a Democratic Socialist. Everyday, non-Hamas Palestinians are in a terrible position.

Israel, on the other hand, is not defined as an organization to eradicate Palestinians or Palestine. It is a nation-state. It has good policies and it has bad policies. It has good people and bad people. It is organized to do a lot of things other than those that Hamas is organized to do (again, by Hamas's own charter).

So by equating Hamas--the worst terrorist part of Palestine--with the entire nation of Israel, I think you are making a mistake of classification. I guess if you want to compare hardline right Israelis to Hamas that would be a closer comparison.

What's more, equating the two nations, Israel and Palestine, isn't a very close comp either. Israel, for all its faults, is a liberal democracy that attempts to honor individual rights and has a functioning and robust court system. Palestine does not. If you or I had a choice to live under either regime, I'm pretty sure we would each pick Israel's as being fairer and more humane.

Again, this sucks for the Palestinian people. I truly do feel sorry for them as I do all people living under authoritarian regimes in poor areas of the world. But I also feel sorry for Israelis who have to live under constant threat of the next terrorist attack.

But what is the solution? Do you think any nation state would allow another nation to form next to it whose governing party's charter states it's purpose is the destruction of that other state? And Israel isn't just any nation--it is made up of many people who survived the Holocaust(!!!) and who have been attacked by their neighbors from the first day of the nation's existence. I don't know the answer, I readily admit.

Cosmic, regarding your characterization of my response, I think it unfair. First, I never stated all Arabs were bad or that Israel is always good. Second, I was not taught any of this in history class; I learned it on my own, although it's nice to hear that my conclusions line up with those of mainstream historians.

I actually agree with much of what you wrote. The zealots in the settlements are a big problem for any peace. But that doesn't mean they are morally equivalent to Hamas whose stated purpose is to wipe out Israel, and whose leaders continue to say things like this:

Thanks to both of you for engaging in this discussion without personal attacks.

This is a response to both you, Cosmic, and Jimbo, but I don't know how to quote both in this.

I realize this is a polarizing topic with a lot of heat. I don't have any personal stake, but have close friends who do. So I'd just say we should be careful with our terms (I'm just as apt to mistakenly generalize as anyone so if I do so, please call that out).

Jimbo, equating Hamas to the entire nation of Israel is a true false equivalency. Hamas is, by its very charter committed to the destruction of Israel and has a military wing whose sole purpose is to wage armed conflict against Israel. Historically (and this, too, might be in its charter), Hamas has committed to terrorism in its purest form: suicide bombings, kidnappings and torture, firing rockets indiscriminately into civilian Israeli territory. It also attempts to goad Israel into using disproportionate force so that they can generate sympathy across the world in the hopes that it will one day destroy Israel (a tactic, I just learned, that Pancho Villa used in 1916 and that has a very old pedigree among revolutionaries).

With all that said, Hamas is not Palestine and not every Palestinian is Hamas anymore than every American is an imperialist or every Republican is a Trump supporter or every Democrat is a Democratic Socialist. Everyday, non-Hamas Palestinians are in a terrible position.

Israel, on the other hand, is not defined as an organization to eradicate Palestinians or Palestine. It is a nation-state. It has good policies and it has bad policies. It has good people and bad people. It is organized to do a lot of things other than those that Hamas is organized to do (again, by Hamas's own charter).

So by equating Hamas--the worst terrorist part of Palestine--with the entire nation of Israel, I think you are making a mistake of classification. I guess if you want to compare hardline right Israelis to Hamas that would be a closer comparison.

What's more, equating the two nations, Israel and Palestine, isn't a very close comp either. Israel, for all its faults, is a liberal democracy that attempts to honor individual rights and has a functioning and robust court system. Palestine does not. If you or I had a choice to live under either regime, I'm pretty sure we would each pick Israel's as being fairer and more humane.

Again, this sucks for the Palestinian people. I truly do feel sorry for them as I do all people living under authoritarian regimes in poor areas of the world. But I also feel sorry for Israelis who have to live under constant threat of the next terrorist attack.

But what is the solution? Do you think any nation state would allow another nation to form next to it whose governing party's charter states it's purpose is the destruction of that other state? And Israel isn't just any nation--it is made up of many people who survived the Holocaust(!!!) and who have been attacked by their neighbors from the first day of the nation's existence. I don't know the answer, I readily admit.

Cosmic, regarding your characterization of my response, I think it unfair. First, I never stated all Arabs were bad or that Israel is always good. Second, I was not taught any of this in history class; I learned it on my own, although it's nice to hear that my conclusions line up with those of mainstream historians.

I actually agree with much of what you wrote. The zealots in the settlements are a big problem for any peace. But that doesn't mean they are morally equivalent to Hamas whose stated purpose is to wipe out Israel, and whose leaders continue to say things like this:

Thanks to both of you for engaging in this discussion without personal attacks.
Just a quick thought: the conflict is a war over land, and both sides are trying to defeat each other and boot each other from the land. Yet, you only recognize Hamas as trying to destroy Israel, and you don't recognize what Israel has done to the Palestinian people and to destroy them. That is a double standard.

The solution would be a cease fire, compensation of land to Palestinians, and treating Palestinians as human beings with rights. At that point, you could separate Hamas as a terrorist org. Israel has not reached the same stage with Palestinians that the US has with Native Americans.

Last edited:
Just a quick thought: the conflict is a war over land, and both sides are trying to defeat each other and boot each other from the land. Yet, you only recognize Hamas as trying to destroy Israel, and you don't recognize what Israel has done to the Palestinian people and to destroy them. That is a double standard.

The solution would be a cease fire, compensation of land to Palestinians, and treating Palestinians as human beings with rights. At that point, you could separate Hamas as a terrorist org. Israel has not reached the same stage with Palestinians that the US has with Native Americans.
I would argue the conflict is actually more over religion than land. If Israel were the size of Singapore, the Palestinians would still want them gone. It's why Palestinians refer to them as Jews and not Israeli's. There has never been a country called Palestine. In fact, in the territory that is now Israel, there have only ever been three sovereign states in human history. The first destroyed in 586 B.C., the second destroyed in 70 AD, and the third established in 1948. All Jewish.

Look a layer deeper, one side is much more malevolent.

Last edited:
I would argue the conflict is actually more over religion than land. If Israel were the size of Singapore, the Palestinians would still want them gone. It's why Palestinians refer to them as Jews and not Israeli's. There has never been a country called Palestine. In fact, in the territory that is now Israel, there have only ever been three sovereign states in human history. The first destroyed in 586 B.C., the second destroyed in 70 AD, and the third established in 1948. All Jewish.

Look a layer deeper, one side is much more malevolent.
I would agree that there is definitely an ethnic/religious element in the conflict. But, the land is the central part of the conflict, and the biggest issue is there are still extreme people on both sides that want the whole thing for themselves, which isn't ever going to happen. Reasonable people can live with others that are different from them.

Imagine if a group different from you kicked you out of your house or killed you or your family members, took over America, didn't give you anywhere to go in the country if you survived, continued treating you like crap when you tried to exist, and denied you basic human rights. You would hate their guts, as you should.

I think if you are trying to pick which side is "better," you might as well be pissing up a rope. They both need to grow up and learn to share. I expect more out of Israel since they have more resources and power.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT