ADVERTISEMENT

Is this the attitude required to win?

I see it. I know it. I’ve lived it. Coached for many years. Studied it for almost all of my 64 years. I’m all in on IU football. Started going to games as a little kid playing on the knothole hill.

I’d love to see Allen have success as much as any coach we’ve ever had. But his antics drive me nuts. It’s hard to imagine how players have composure under duress when the coach spazzes out constantly. Make sense?
So you think CTA jumping around, high fiving players and showing enthusiasm is bad . But Kirby Smart going on a profanity laden rant is ok?

Some people find Coach Allen a bit “inauthentic”, and the jumping around is viewed as an example of that.
I think it is pure Tom Allen. I think many feel the same way. Especially his players. People continue to go back to the Buckey pre game speech and say the players were disinterested. If you have been in enough locker rooms you know it is tough sometimes to read teams. I have seen where teams have been loud and excited and then gone out and totally laid an egg. Then other times the team team was extremely quiet and went out and played great. IU players might have seemed disinterested but they were playing great until the DW injury and you could just see the air go out of the sails on the bench. I believe Tom Allen is going to be himself, I believe he loves football, he loves IU and most importantly he loves his players. I believe that his players want to pay for him. I don’t know why he stuck with Hiller for as long as he did maybe it was friendship, I doubt it though but he was quick to get rid of Sheridan. I hope that Bostad can come in and fix the o line. Provide our quarterback whoever it a chance to run the offense without running for his life and open up some holes for our backs. If that does not happen then I will be on board with many on here as much as I hate to say it. Until that time I am willing to give Walt Bell and the rest of the offensive staff a chance and most importantly Coach Tom Allen a chance. After he has produced 2 of the better seasons in IU football season history. I will continue to support IU and wish nothing but success!

I think it is pure Tom Allen. I think many feel the same way. Especially his players. People continue to go back to the Buckey pre game speech and say the players were disinterested. If you have been in enough locker rooms you know it is tough sometimes to read teams. I have seen where teams have been loud and excited and then gone out and totally laid an egg. Then other times the team team was extremely quiet and went out and played great. IU players might have seemed disinterested but they were playing great until the DW injury and you could just see the air go out of the sails on the bench. I believe Tom Allen is going to be himself, I believe he loves football, he loves IU and most importantly he loves his players. I believe that his players want to pay for him. I don’t know why he stuck with Hiller for as long as he did maybe it was friendship, I doubt it though but he was quick to get rid of Sheridan. I hope that Bostad can come in and fix the o line. Provide our quarterback whoever it a chance to run the offense without running for his life and open up some holes for our backs. If that does not happen then I will be on board with many on here as much as I hate to say it. Until that time I am willing to give Walt Bell and the rest of the offensive staff a chance and most importantly Coach Tom Allen a chance. After he has produced 2 of the better seasons in IU football season history. I will continue to support IU and wish nothing but success!
Too many think they know how to motivate teams. I never had a big speech and fired up the team but instead talked and said what they needed to do that we worked hard in practice. They still came out fired up and played hard for me. Several times I just shut up and told them listen to the locker room coach yelling to get them fired up to do better to win. They couldn't tell what the words were but the emotional was clear.

Each coach has his own way to deal with the team heading out to the field and different ways work for successful coaches. Just look at the NFL and Parcell was in their faces demanding them to do better while Bill Walsh seemed to be a professor to the team. If/when IUFB starts winning like they did in 2019 or 2020 few if any will care about the way coach Allen acts in the locker room or the sideline. We all want a coach to act like we want but the truth is many ways cause winning.

Too many think they know how to motivate teams. I never had a big speech and fired up the team but instead talked and said what they needed to do that we worked hard in practice. They still came out fired up and played hard for me. Several times I just shut up and told them listen to the locker room coach yelling to get them fired up to do better to win. They couldn't tell what the words were but the emotional was clear.

Each coach has his own way to deal with the team heading out to the field and different ways work for successful coaches. Just look at the NFL and Parcell was in their faces demanding them to do better while Bill Walsh seemed to be a professor to the team. If/when IUFB starts winning like they did in 2019 or 2020 few if any will care about the way coach Allen acts in the locker room or the sideline. We all want a coach to act like we want but the truth is many ways cause winning.
Absolutely correct articulation of the facts from a coach who lived them.

LEO is on the way out and is being replaced my SMTM.

SHOW ME THE MONEY!

I am wondering if Tom Allen made Dolson do the Cuba Gooding dance in Jerry Maguire.

It is ironic that coach Allen can now make $5 million a year while at the same time showing his LEO players the door if they can't perform or bring some 5th year senior in to keep another 5th year senior on the bench.

"Come on Scott. I can't hear you. Show me the money! Louder Scott. Show me the money!

Congratulations Scott. I am still your football coach!"

Certainly appreciate your opinion on this but was simply saying others see him a bit differently. No right or wrong answer on this one, only opinion.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Certainly appreciate your opinion on this but was simply saying others see him a bit differently. No right or wrong answer on this one, only opinion.
How people see him is 99% a function of his wins. When he's NCOY, he's a media darling because his schtick really works with a winning team. When the team is limping through 2 B1G wins in two years, he's a "clown."

If Mike Leach hadn't been able to go to different schools and consistently be a top offense in the NCAA, he would've been mercilessly ridiculed for his eccentricity. As it was, he was a mad genius, won a lot of games, and was a national football treasure.

One thing I know with absolute certainty, is that if IU would play outside their minds and end up with a top-10 ranking where the players are disrupting post-game interviews again talking about how much they love CTA & playing for Indiana, the number of "he's a clown" posters would dwindle dramatically.

The staff made the CB decision very early, despite the coach speak about “QB competition” we were not going to see two QBs as some claimed here.

CB struggled in every aspect especially given the OL situation.

Tuttle was voted Captain.

This was not CB’s fault.
Amazingly, he had his best game against one of tbe better Big Ten defensive lines when they played Illinois in the opener. He was 28 of 52 for 330 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT.

If we have players quitting and not focusing on dominating their 1x1 matchup because of another teammate playing, we have much bigger problems.

Players need to be focusing on doing their job and winning their matchup. The rest is the coaches job

Reactions: DThompson
He was trash so I wouldn't doubt it
It was obvious when he was in and when in other games when players came in we saw IU players play harder because they were .
He's not a kid. Lol. Wut? Son weird. I was traveling all over the world, not via the military, at his age. If you would have called me a kid at that age I would have punched you.
Thank you for your service and I was traveling most of the world too as Marine [I was limited due to my specialty].

It was obvious when he was in and when in other games when players came in we saw IU players play harder because they were .

Thank you for your service and I was traveling most of the world too as Marine [I was limited due to my specialty].
Players didn’t play less hard when he was in. That’s nonsense.

Whether is was intentional or not there was definitely a drop off in play by the o line. They were controlling the line of scrimmage when DW was in. They were outplayed afterwards.
Don’t you think it was much more about the schemes we were running with each of them (as well as their skill sets) than simply the line letting up? For various reasons, what we ran with DW was fairly different than what we ran with CB. Practice time and a grasp of the offense had a great deal to do with that. It also required the line to prep for two different kinds of quarterbacks, each with essentially their own gameplan. Combine that with the lack of tape on DW and you get different approaches when each is taking snaps.

Reactions: midwolfe
Don’t you think it was much more about the schemes we were running with each of them (as well as their skill sets) than simply the line letting up? For various reasons, what we ran with DW was fairly different than what we ran with CB. Practice time and a grasp of the offense had a great deal to do with that. It also required the line to prep for two different kinds of quarterbacks, each with essentially their own gameplan. Combine that with the lack of tape on DW and you get different approaches when each is taking snaps.
Yes for sure you have one qb that was threat to throw and not run the ball and the other was a threat to run but not throw,. But your blocking schemes should have remained a constant. However now in the run game your backside had basically no responsibilities because Bazelak was so ineffective as a runner. My point I made before was that when you looked at the IU team while DW was down it just looked as if they lost all belief that they could win. I am not blaming Bazelak for the reaction but it was there for sure.

Yes for sure you have one qb that was threat to throw and not run the ball and the other was a threat to run but not throw,. But your blocking schemes should have remained a constant. However now in the run game your backside had basically no responsibilities because Bazelak was so ineffective as a runner. My point I made before was that when you looked at the IU team while DW was down it just looked as if they lost all belief that they could win. I am not blaming Bazelak for the reaction but it was there for sure.
Would quibble on whether the blocking schemes remain the same when the quarterback difference is so great, but you offer a reasonable view. The big question that remains unaddressed is why Allen and Bell recruited a quarterback that was such a ooor fit for what WB has always wanted to run.

Kirby and Ga should be given the death penalty for this! Maybe vacate the NC trophy! Some millennials feelings have been hurt because of it! They should LEO🥴.
Not mine though, id actually prefer this type of coaching. This is the type of coach I would be. Instead of LEO it should be FEO! You should know what the F stands for so I wont spell it out because Itll hurt someone feelings if I do! Boohoo!
No doubt who wants the W, who wants to kick azz to get it and
who wants a nice try hug. Reminds me of Knight, like him
or hate him he does have those banners.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT