ADVERTISEMENT

Is Sheridan's Promotion causing offensive players to defect?

Cronk, Ramsey, Walker, and now James. It can't be just Ballou/Rhea, can it?

I would highly doubt that. Maybe for one of those guys but the understanding is that many of the players really like Sheridan and enjoy him as a coach. I think they all have different reasons and if they were so upset about the promotion, why wait till now? This has been known for weeks.

I would highly doubt that. Maybe for one of those guys but the understanding is that many of the players really like Sheridan and enjoy him as a coach. I think they all have different reasons and if they were so upset about the promotion, why wait till now? This has been known for weeks.
You're probably right, but perhaps Ballou was just the last straw for James?

Where's Mike Hart at in terms of player retention? Isn't he another one these kids love?

You're probably right, but perhaps Ballou was just the last straw for James?

Where's Mike Hart at in terms of player retention? Isn't he another one these kids love?

If there is one things that at least "doesn't look great" it would be the # of RB transfers and making Hart look like he's not getting along with players?? As that does make 4 RB's to leave since last fall (Winters, Gest, Walker & James.) That said, Stevie Scott seems to be a loyal guy. I do think Ellis at RB makes sense and frees up more time for what I believe is a talented group of WR's coming up (bigger/taller than Ellis too.) And likely Baldwin, who is on campus, and believe had a Michigan offer, is a real deal player too. And yes, Mr. Football Spegal could be a real deal, like one of those Wisc/Iowa type bull dozers?

But fair question: is Hart jelling with players? Or are players leaving b/c talent looks too good above them?

If there is one things that at least "doesn't look great" it would be the # of RB transfers and making Hart look like he's not getting along with players?? As that does make 4 RB's to leave since last fall (Winters, Gest, Walker & James.) That said, Stevie Scott seems to be a loyal guy. I do think Ellis at RB makes sense and frees up more time for what I believe is a talented group of WR's coming up (bigger/taller than Ellis too.) And likely Baldwin, who is on campus, and believe had a Michigan offer, is a real deal player too. And yes, Mr. Football Spegal could be a real deal, like one of those Wisc/Iowa type bull dozers?

But fair question: is Hart jelling with players? Or are players leaving b/c talent looks too good above them?
Maybe Hart is leaving because he got passed over for OC or some other reason? Maybe he's told the RB's he's looking around?

Something is up at IU and it stinks...

If my memory serves me correctly the same IU apologists on here were skewereing CKW for letting Roberson and Coffman leave are now making excuses for Allen losing James, Ramsey etc.

Reactions: IUgradman
If my memory serves me correctly the same IU apologists on here were skewereing CKW for letting Roberson and Coffman leave are now making excuses for Allen losing James, Ramsey etc.
I blamed CKW for the QB situation that caused Roberson to leave.

I don't blame Allen for losing James, but I do blame him for losing Ramsey and Cronk.

But I don't believe I qualify as an IU apologist.

You'll regain your senses once your coronavirus quarantine passes.
People are dying from literally drowning in the fluid in their lungs, yet you use their misfortune to insult others?

Ridiculous apples and oranges comparison. Roberson's and Coffman's departures left us dangerously thin at the most important position on the field. When Sudfeld went down to injury following Roberson's departure, a once promising season went into the shitter, recruiting suffered and the program took a giant step back.

Further, the timing of Roberson's departure, less than eight weeks before the start of Fall ball and leaving him with limited options, was bizarre. Given what we know about Wilson's temperament, it's not a stretch to surmise that there was some underlying conflict that triggered Roberson's late and unexpected departure.

Further, the timing of Roberson's departure, less than eight weeks before the start of Fall ball and leaving him with limited options, was bizarre. Given what we know about Wilson's temperament, it's not a stretch to surmise that there was some underlying conflict that triggered Roberson's late and unexpected departure.[/QUOTE]
Surmise (def) to suppose something happened without evidence to confirm it.

nuff said

Reactions: Chriselli
If Ramsey leaves it is because there are two four-star quarterbacks waiting in the wings. And one of them already beat Ramsey out last season. So I guess it is Coach Tom Allen‘s fault because he’s bringing in players with a higher upside potential.

If Ramsey leaves it is because there are two four-star quarterbacks waiting in the wings. And one of them already beat Ramsey out last season. So I guess it is Coach Tom Allen‘s fault because he’s bringing in players with a higher upside potential.
Allen must really be stupid for playing Ramsey before 2 4-stars, by your logic.

Allen must really be stupid for playing Ramsey before 2 4-stars, by your logic.
Hmm. No. Peyton Ramsey was playing because he has experience. And he wasn’t playing them before 2 4-star players. He was playing before Tuttle - a 4-star recruit who was a red shirt freshman. He lost the competition to Penix and was playing because Penix was hurt. And next year both of them will be redshirt sophomores. And hopefully both of them will be healthy. I imagine that Coach Tom Allen told Peyton Ramsey there was going to be a wide-open competition for the job this year. I hope Peyton Ramsey comes back but if he doesn’t I understand why he is leaving. Can’t say the same thing about Cronk.

Hmm. No. Peyton Ramsey was playing because he has experience. And he wasn’t playing them before 2 4-star players. He was playing before Tuttle - a 4-star recruit who was a red shirt freshman. He lost the competition to Penix and was playing because Penix was hurt. And next year both of them will be redshirt sophomores. And hopefully both of them will be healthy. I imagine that Coach Tom Allen told Peyton Ramsey there was going to be a wide-open competition for the job this year. I hope Peyton Ramsey comes back but if he doesn’t I understand why he is leaving. Can’t say the same thing about Cronk.
Oh, that's right. Penix couldn't play. What good is a 4 star who sits on the bench.

He definitely started over Tuttle, who is also a 4 star.

People get way too caught up in the number of stars players have.

Reactions: IUgradman and 76-1
if you're a fan this is what you DON'T want. and we're the ones who pay the freight. just wait till they don't have to set out a year. my love for the game is rapidly diminishing.
I agree. It's becoming a mercenary game, with the school having very little to do with it.

The genie is out of the bottle now, though.

Oh, that's right. Penix couldn't play. What good is a 4 star who sits on the bench.

Peyton Ramsey redshirted his freshman year and in his second year was on the bench behind Richard Lagow who was brought in as a transfer out of desperation. Payton started four games that season but finished the year injured. Altogether he played in nine games.

The next season transfer Brandon Dawkins was brought in out of desperation and Peyton Ramsey beat him out. Ramsey kept plugging away and kept improving. And along the way he kept gaining experience and improving his decision making skills. And he became a pretty good quarterback who knew his limitations.

I don’t think there are any Hoosier fans who don’t appreciate Peyton Ramsey. But I think any Hoosier realists see Penix starting and, barring injury, chances to get on the field being given to Tuttle first so that he can gain experience. Peyton Ramsey certainly saw it and that’s why he’s leaving.

if the Hoosiers are going to break through that glass ceiling and be competitive with the top teams in the east they are going to need quarterbacks who can stretch the defense. It appears that the Hoosiers now have at least two of those players who will be redshirt sophomores.

Peyton Ramsey‘s decision to leave Indiana speaks to the strength and depth of the quarterback room.

i think we all know why ramsey, walker and gest left. cronk and james are head scratchers.

Why is Cronk a head scratcher? He wanted to play tackle and IU wanted him to convert to a guard. He will play tackle at Iowa. The head scratcher about Cronk is why is he so reluctant to play guard when everyone in the know says guard is his best shot at the NFL?

"Life is a grindstone. Whether it breaks your down or polishes you up depends on what you are made of."

Welcome to a higher level of competitive D1 football in today's era. Recruiting has been great, depth has been built, quality of athlete has increased and playing time is more difficult to come by.

All of the above is conjecture, so I will add to it...

Cronk doesn't like the idea of going to guard, staff says you have to compete to play tackle against Bedford (young stud) and Jones (a literal giant). That isn't appealing for a guy who has started from day 1.

Ramsey showed he could lead and that he is legit D1 good. I say good, because the other two have the ability and talent to be great. Doesn't like the idea of another QB competition (I don't blame him), so he looks elsewhere. As a coach of a D1/BIG 10 program you cannot award the starting job based on anything other than who is the absolute best (unless the more talented player has personality issues, not the case with our 2 4-stars).

James, a bit of a head scratcher. He is just one year younger than a guy that shocked everyone (including other BIG teams) and has a NFL body. Lost time at the beginning of the season to guys that didn't seem to be as talented as him, but when he got minutes he seemed inpatient and like he was getting used to the speed of the game. At the end, he showed his real potential to be a great BIG 10 back. Also, RB is a position where you ideally have a healthy rotation. That is why it is more confusing to me. However, I have heard he was close to Balou and that maybe that connection with Avon aided in the original flip of James.

I do believe that this is not a sky is falling, there is something wrong situation. We are getting much more talented with every recruiting class and gaining a lot more depth. This is new to fans and probably players as well. The competition is getting much more intense. Ultimately, that is a great thing for our program.

If you think Penix played over Ramsey because the number of stars by his name...I don't know what to tell you.

Reactions: vesuvius13
"Life is a grindstone. Whether it breaks your down or polishes you up depends on what you are made of."

Welcome to a higher level of competitive D1 football in today's era. Recruiting has been great, depth has been built, quality of athlete has increased and playing time is more difficult to come by.

All of the above is conjecture, so I will add to it...

Cronk doesn't like the idea of going to guard, staff says you have to compete to play tackle against Bedford (young stud) and Jones (a literal giant). That isn't appealing for a guy who has started from day 1.

Ramsey showed he could lead and that he is legit D1 good. I say good, because the other two have the ability and talent to be great. Doesn't like the idea of another QB competition (I don't blame him), so he looks elsewhere. As a coach of a D1/BIG 10 program you cannot award the starting job based on anything other than who is the absolute best (unless the more talented player has personality issues, not the case with our 2 4-stars).

James, a bit of a head scratcher. He is just one year younger than a guy that shocked everyone (including other BIG teams) and has a NFL body. Lost time at the beginning of the season to guys that didn't seem to be as talented as him, but when he got minutes he seemed inpatient and like he was getting used to the speed of the game. At the end, he showed his real potential to be a great BIG 10 back. Also, RB is a position where you ideally have a healthy rotation. That is why it is more confusing to me. However, I have heard he was close to Balou and that maybe that connection with Avon aided in the original flip of James.

I do believe that this is not a sky is falling, there is something wrong situation. We are getting much more talented with every recruiting class and gaining a lot more depth. This is new to fans and probably players as well. The competition is getting much more intense. Ultimately, that is a great thing for our program.

I think James has an inflated ego, to be honest. He saw the lineup of backs at OSU and started shopping around. He thought he’d be anointed at IU rather than earn the spot. He probably figured he’d have to battle with Stevie for two more years and saw the writing on the wall there too.

Get this kid from Arkansas or go after the kid at Penn State. There are good RBs all over the country transferring by the minute. Rutgers is getting players off the transfer market from programs to build their roster. They picked up transfers from OSU, Michigan and Wisconsin. All kids highly rated and looking for playing time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT