ADVERTISEMENT

Is Fox News pivoting to being pro mask wearing?

2.7million cases and 130,000 deaths later (in four months), I think it might just start to sink in. He wasn't so sure before. Even at daycare, Sean wasn't known to be the sharpest tool in the shed.

I bet we see a spike in mask sales now.

I hope so.

I'm in Minnesota and surprisingly Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa haven't gone berserk in cases yet while Wisconsin was fully open in June.

My best guess is that people aren't traveling much intercontinentally since the shutdowns so I'm hoping that my area has just gotten lucky.

So if Fox starts backing the use of masks enough to get a huge chunk of people on board....it will decrease my chances of getting it so, I say better late than never.

I hope this is a pivot from the company, not just Hannity. I guess we'll see in the coming weeks.

Pence is now recommending masks so maybe the republican party is green lighting mask wearing now.

I hope so.

I'm in Minnesota and surprisingly Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa haven't gone berserk in cases yet while Wisconsin was fully open in June.

My best guess is that people aren't traveling much intercontinentally since the shutdowns so I'm hoping that my area has just gotten lucky.

So if Fox starts backing the use of masks enough to get a huge chunk of people on board....it will decrease my chances of getting it so, I say better late than never.

I hope this is a pivot from the company, not just Hannity. I guess we'll see in the coming weeks.

Pence is now recommending masks so maybe the republican party is green lighting mask wearing now.

Maybe Pence/Fox's own internal survey/numbers recognise that Trump is in a bad way and is trying to cut his own path/identity?

Fox and the Republicans can't ignore what is happening, especially now that red states are getting pummeled.

Of course, none of that matters to Trump.

About Face
As the pandemic sweeps red states, Republicans belatedly get behind mask-wearing.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...e-reality-coronavirus-masks.html?via=taps_top

“I have suggested the president should occasionally wear a mask even though there are not many occasions when it is necessary for him to do so,” Alexander said. “The president has millions of admirers. They would follow his lead. It would help end this political debate. The stakes are too high for it to continue.”

Kayleigh McEnany, the president’s press secretary, was asked about Alexander’s comments at Tuesday’s press briefing. “The president has said he has no problems with masks”—well, he has suggested that people might get coronavirus by fidgeting with their masks—“that he encourages people to make whatever decision is best for their safety and to follow what their local jurisdictions say,” McEnany said. “And the president is the most tested man in America. It’s his decision whether to wear a mask.” The Republican leadership in America has moved its position to Wear a damn mask. The Republican leader in America, though, is stuck on, It’s up to you.

Trump has worn a mask once, during a visit to a Ford factory, and he tried to prevent any photos from being taken of him wearing it. (He was not successful.) He is afraid that people will make fun of how he looks in a mask, since he so gleefully made fun of how Joe Biden looked in a mask. He is afraid he will look “weak.” And since he sees everything as either a political statement for or against him, he, too, might see mask-wearing as a political statement against him. It’s not that he’s being unhelpful, or idle, in fellow Republicans’ push to eliminate the mask stigma. He, personally, believes that masks are stigmatic. It will take more than a few Senate speeches or cable news clips to sway him.​

Reactions: Ohio Guy
Fox and the Republicans can't ignore what is happening, especially now that red states are getting pummeled.

About Face
As the pandemic sweeps red states, Republicans belatedly get behind mask-wearing.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...e-reality-coronavirus-masks.html?via=taps_top

“I have suggested the president should occasionally wear a mask even though there are not many occasions when it is necessary for him to do so,” Alexander said. “The president has millions of admirers. They would follow his lead. It would help end this political debate. The stakes are too high for it to continue.”

Kayleigh McEnany, the president’s press secretary, was asked about Alexander’s comments at Tuesday’s press briefing. “The president has said he has no problems with masks”—well, he has suggested that people might get coronavirus by fidgeting with their masks—“that he encourages people to make whatever decision is best for their safety and to follow what their local jurisdictions say,” McEnany said. “And the president is the most tested man in America. It’s his decision whether to wear a mask.” The Republican leadership in America has moved its position to Wear a damn mask. The Republican leader in America, though, is stuck on, It’s up to you.

Trump has worn a mask once, during a visit to a Ford factory, and he tried to prevent any photos from being taken of him wearing it. (He was not successful.) He is afraid that people will make fun of how he looks in a mask, since he so gleefully made fun of how Joe Biden looked in a mask. He is afraid he will look “weak.” And since he sees everything as either a political statement for or against him, he, too, might see mask-wearing as a political statement against him. It’s not that he’s being unhelpful, or idle, in fellow Republicans’ push to eliminate the mask stigma. He, personally, believes that masks are stigmatic. It will take more than a few Senate speeches or cable news clips to sway him.​

McEnany said. “And the president is the most tested man in America.

I assume she meant that in reference to before Trump became POTUS, lifestyle and all

About Face

So Fox has spent all these years telling their republican rube viewers that education is overrated and you shouldn’t put too much stock in what experts say or science. Now they’re going to tell people to start listening to what experts and scientists have been saying about wearing masks. Rubes are going to short circuit.

So Fox has spent all these years telling their republican rube viewers that education is overrated and you shouldn’t put too much stock in what experts say or science. Now they’re going to tell people to start listening to what experts and scientists have been saying about wearing masks. Rubes are going to short circuit.
Fox News: Dumbing Down America Since 1996

No they're not, they'll convince themselves and each other that Fox always recommended masks and there was never any anti-mask rhetoric. See a lawyer from Colorado who is totally convinced the federal response followed expert recommendations throughout this pandemic as an example of expert doublethink.

The compromise: make masks/face coverings mandatory, but immediately open the country up, full throttle. Same day, full bore. Either they work or they don't.

Trump Jr. apparently not up to date on the latest WH spin on masks.

I actually responded to this idiot's post on FB, which is a huge departure for me. Jr. pisses me off even more than his dad, which is saying a lot. Jr. has no credibility whatsoever to justify anyone listening to a damned thing he says, other than the pulpit he enjoys by virtue of his dad being POTUS - which is 100% unearned. He's relentlessly, ruthlessly partisan and about nothing other than advancing his dad's agenda. The guy just offers nothing at all to the intellectual conversation around where our country is going or needs to go, etc. He does nothing but harm. He offers nothing at all other than being his dad's lap dog, and he sickens me. He's such a pu$$y.

The compromise: make masks/face coverings mandatory, but immediately open the country up, full throttle. Same day, full bore. Either they work or they don't.

Exactly. Just like how there are no unplanned pregnancies, either condoms work or they don't. Nobody dies in car crashes, either airbags work or they don't. Nobody dies rock climbing, either the safety equipment works or it doesn't.

Exactly. Just like how there are no unplanned pregnancies, either condoms work or they don't. Nobody dies in car crashes, either airbags work or they don't. Nobody dies rock climbing, either the safety equipment works or it doesn't.
He's a stick learner.

Are masks more effective than, say, covering my mouth with a cough or sneeze? Isn't handwashing the most effective was to prevent the spread of germs? Ever get steamed up glasses wearing a mask? That is death steam, dude.

Would wearing a motorcycle helmet inside a car be safer than not wearing one? Probably, but you'd look pretty stupid doing it.

Are masks more effective than, say, covering my mouth with a cough or sneeze?
Yes.

Isn't handwashing the most effective was to prevent the spread of germs?
No.
Ever get steamed up glasses wearing a mask? That is death steam, dude.
It's not about the "steam" you get on your glasses - it's about reducing the amount of droplets you're exhaling out into the air around you. Pretty simple to comprehend this, if you put half a brain cell into trying to do so.

Would wearing a motorcycle helmet inside a car be safer than not wearing one? Probably, but you'd look pretty stupid doing it.
No relevance at all to this subject, so summarily ignored.

Yes.

No.

It's not about the "steam" you get on your glasses - it's about reducing the amount of droplets you're exhaling out into the air around you. Pretty simple to comprehend this, if you put half a brain cell into trying to do so.

Whilst I applaud your patience and efforts -- but this is a March (for you guys) question/answer. Not in feckin' July.

If he doesn't get it by now, he is either trolling, some overgrown teenager or just plain dumb.

Its embarrassing to be still discussing this now -- doesn't reflect well on the school, the people of Indiana or the members of this forum.

Reactions: RBB89
Whilst I applaud your patience and efforts -- but this is a March (for you guys) question/answer. Not in feckin' July.

If he doesn't get it by now, he is either trolling, some overgrown teenager or just plain dumb.

Its embarrassing to be still discussing this now -- doesn't reflect well on the school, the people of Indiana or the members of this forum.
Agree. It's why I gave him single-word or abbreviated answers to his stupid questions (for which in the case of this poster, he honestly knows the real answers - he's just playing his party's political hand that he's been dealt).

Reactions: sglowrider
Fox News: Dumbing Down America Since 1996

Wait till Trump TV comes out. The daily schedule will be something this:

9am: Your Favourite ex-President
8pm: Third Reich from the Sun
9pm: The Black and Black Minstrel Show
10pm: World's Deadliest Anti-fascists
11pm: America's Next Top Mistress
4am: Triumph of the Will
6am: From Russia with Lust
7am: Ivanka's Jewellery Store featuring classic MAGA Merchandise

Did you forget blackface happy hour?

Yes.

No.

That's pretty good. Golf clapping ensues.

2.7million cases and 130,000 deaths later (in four months), I think it might just start to sink in. He wasn't so sure before. Even at daycare, Sean wasn't known to be the sharpest tool in the shed.

I bet we see a spike in mask sales now.
I bet we see a shortage of masks.

I bet we see a shortage of masks.

I don't think so. They have really ramped up mask production now. If the prices on the streets/corners here are anything to go by they aren't triple what it was in Feb/March. I can get them online close to normal or what it was pre-pandemic. I just ordered a box of 50 (FDA approved) surgical masks for $7 last week.

If masks work so well why didn’t they give them to prisoners instead of releasing them?

If masks work so well why didn’t they give them to prisoners instead of releasing them?
If you had a legitimate point to make, why don't you just express it instead of spewing "if" and "why"?

Maybe Pence/Fox's own internal survey/numbers recognise that Trump is in a bad way and is trying to cut his own path/identity?
Not likely to happen. There are certain things in life that does not change; this is one of them. If they had the brains, they would have done it a long time ago.

ADVERTISEMENT