ADVERTISEMENT

Is Debord's return a foregone conclusion?

Because that was the game that best illustrates how horrid DeBord was as a play caller. We marched up & down the field running, dinking & dunking and ending up kicking 3 FGs. We end up behind 31-9, when someone comes up with the idea to throw a long pass against the Big 10's worst secondary, which had been on our WRs like stink on s*** the whole game. We score 17 straight points, including 2 long TD passes, and are on a drive to score the winning TD when we have to settle for a FG after running 3 straight running plays.

We scored 1/3 of our TOTAL 4th Quarter POINTS for the year in the Minnesota game.

But, take out the 4th quarters for the VA & MN games if you wish. That takes it to 4.2 in the 3rd & 4.4 in the 4th. That scoring, projected out for a full game, would have been 128th/130 in the country. Had we scored at the same rate in 2nd halves as in 1st halves we would have been 35th ppg nationally.

For the year, we scored 63.4% of our points in the first half.

How many OCs in the country would have kept their job with those results?

We outscored our opposition 201-185 in 1st halves.
We were outscored 174-116 in 2nd halves.

Looking at it again, we actually scored 43 points in the 3rd Q, 73 in the 4th, for averages of 3.4 & 6.1, respectively.

As you can see below, our defense in terms of points allowed was consistent (poor) in almost each half in each game:
FIU 14-14
VIR 9-7
BSU 3-7
MSU 21-14
RU 7-10
OSU 28-21
Iowa 21-21
PSU 17-16
MN 21-17
MD 15-17
Michigan 15-16
Purdue 14-14

So..........although our D ppg was consistently poor, had our O maintained it's 1st half production, and not fallen off the table, esp. in the 3rd Q, almost game would have been seriously contested.

Amazingly, it could have been worse. Our O scored 19% of all our 2nd half points in the 2nd half at Minnesota.

Illinois scored exactly 26 points per game, #91 (of 130) teams in the country.

I can see you aspire to greatness.
Yes I do, but I am realistic. You can look for positive or you can dwell on the negative. Not sure why you choose to focus on negative. I am glad most people recognize that there are good things happening with Indiana football.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Yes I do, but I am realistic. You can look for positive or you can dwell on the negative. Not sure why you choose to focus on negative. I am glad most people recognize that there are good things happening with Indiana football.

I'm very discouraged by no changes. The schedule is tougher next year then it was this year. If PR is the QB and DeBord is the OC we have little chance for 6 wins next year, imo.

I don't expect changes to Offensive coaching staff. No need to play the blame game instead of dealing with the fact that we weren't good enough. Dropped passes. Poor coverage. That's why we lost 7. CTA is trying to build continuity. Starting over would be a step back. I'd be shocked if we made changes. Really two plays away from 7-5. Don't get me wrong I hate losing but wholesale changes would set us back. Tweaking is a more reasonable approach. (You can take that literally or figuratively. VBG)
Go Hoosiers!
Replacing Debord would be a nice "tweak" in the right direction.

I'm very discouraged by no changes. The schedule is tougher next year then it was this year. If PR is the QB and DeBord is the OC we have little chance for 6 wins next year, imo.
If Penix is not QB I’ll be totally disappointed. If we do same as last year I agree a change is needed. I’m hoping for Penix. If not a change will certainly be needed.

Reactions: vesuvius13
If Penix is not QB I’ll be totally disappointed. If we do same as last year I agree a change is needed. I’m hoping for Penix. If not a change will certainly be needed.
I hope whoever wins the quarterback job continues to improve and is able to lead us to more victories. I hope the defense gets better and continues to get takeaways. I hope the special teams get better. I have no reason to believe they won’t and then we can give CTA and his assistants raises. However if these don’t happen then we can go after Urban Meyer.

Maybe PR would be better with another OC. Maybe DeBord would be better with another QB. The #s at Tennessee seem to suggest that, but iucol points out that he was not loved at Tennessee. Maybe we'd all be better off with a new QB and a new OC. None of us know, but I think a majority of us believe that PR and DeBord are not a winning combination.

With regard to Ramsey/Penix, PR will obviously have the position coming out of spring camp. I sure hope Penix will get a fair chance to win it before the season starts.To those who say "sure he will", I'm not so sure, given CTA's fondness for PR. He'll always have a reason to start PR....his veteran status. What I would point out about Ramsey is that his 2017 & 2018 #s are almost identical, once adjusted for # of snaps. His #s do not reflect the growth you'd like to see in a second year starter, esp. since he played hurt more in 2017 than in 2018. I think the Eye Test confirms his ceiling.

I hope whoever wins the quarterback job continues to improve and is able to lead us to more victories. I hope the defense gets better and continues to get takeaways. I hope the special teams get better. I have no reason to believe they won’t and then we can give CTA and his assistants raises. However if these don’t happen then we can go after Urban Meyer.

The D should be better...DT is my only big concern there. The STs can't be worse. I'm not sure our O will be significantly better, given the losses on the OL. James appears to be the only true freshman that might have an immediate impact. Overall, the team should be improved, but that may be offset by the tougher schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT