ADVERTISEMENT

Is Debord's return a foregone conclusion?

I agree with this - he put us in a position to make plays. My only real concern with DeBoard and his philosophy last year is it was dependent on small chunk, long drives - which means you can't make any mistakes to score points. We made a lot of mistakes at crappy times with penalties, drops, and missed assignments.
But as your former coach always said - you call the plays you can block. With Feeney and Spriggs the playbook is wide open.

I think the small chunk long drives was by design and a result of working within the talent we had on the field. Don’t forget who our HC is. One of his complaints with CKW was he scored to fast and wasted possessions not giving the defense enough time to rest. We only saw Ramsey open up after the Bye Week this year. For three games I think he looked fabulous. For some reason the Bucket game ushered in the Pre-Bye Week Ramsey unable to complete a pass down field. I don’t think it was anything Purdue was doing. It has me thinking maybe his arm isn’t strong enough to throw week in and out. I don’t know.... I don’t think we have the same big play type receivers either we have had in the past. We have good/serviceable guys but we had some guys here in the past that made you confident in a 50/50 ball they were coming down with it. I don’t feel that way with this group.

It came off that way in one of the interviews. You're certainly correct, but Allen is so green on that side of the ball, it's plausible.
No I remember the him saying it. But I believe it to be an embellishment on his part. You could be right but I just see that as be
I think the small chunk long drives was by design and a result of working within the talent we had on the field. Don’t forget who our HC is. One of his complaints with CKW was he scored to fast and wasted possessions not giving the defense enough time to rest. We only saw Ramsey open up after the Bye Week this year. For three games I think he looked fabulous. For some reason the Bucket game ushered in the Pre-Bye Week Ramsey unable to complete a pass down field. I don’t think it was anything Purdue was doing. It has me thinking maybe his arm isn’t strong enough to throw week in and out. I don’t know.... I don’t think we have the same big play type receivers either we have had in the past. We have good/serviceable guys but we had some guys here in the past that made you confident in a 50/50 ball they were coming down with it. I don’t feel that way with this group.
while arm fatigue certainly can be an issue I doubt it was just 3 weeks after a bye week.

At this point, it's very fair to ask if Penix should have been the starter from game one. Knowing what we know now, the Ramsey led Hoosiers only won 5 games.

Would the Michael Penix led Hoosiers won 6 games and made it to Nashville? It's a fair question. I don't think Penix starts the opening game in 2019, Allen is stubborn.

No it wouldn't have happened aka the injury. Penix needs to put some meat on his bones and be smarter when he takes off. Ramsey has a stocky build and he can take a hit.

Bottom line we are in good position next year with either one. Its FOOLISH not to want a 3 year starter behind center. How many other BIG10 teams have that luxury. Thats exactly how you build a football team with solid senior leadership at key positions. To trash the idea of Ramsey not getting a nod is silly. Allen knows what he is doing.

Reactions: mikewoodson2
No it wouldn't have happened aka the injury. Penix needs to put some meat on his bones and be smarter when he takes off. Ramsey has a stocky build and he can take a hit.

Bottom line we are in good position next year with either one. Its FOOLISH not to want a 3 year starter behind center. How many other BIG10 teams have that luxury. Thats exactly how you build a football team with solid senior leadership at key positions. To trash the idea of Ramsey not getting a nod is silly. Allen knows what he is doing.
It'll be a GREAT battle, it's just not as simple as trotting out a three year starter who has only won a handful of games when there's an uber talent behind him. Now if Ramsey had won us 7 or 8 games, I would buy your reasoning, but he's not done that.

To me, Penix gives the team a better chance to actually win games. I don't know, I just think the kid is a better player. Not sure what else there is to say.

I continue to just not see that a 2 year starter in Ramsey, who's only managed to win a handful of games over that time period, is a shoe-in to start over a healthy Penix. I still contend that Ramsey only kept the job due to Penix getting injured. It was pretty evident to me that PSU's D had to respect his arm. No team has ever had to respect Ramsey's.

Also, IU does have talent and speed at WR. Saying otherwise is a misnomer. Hale and Westbrook have all conference abilities if they have someone that can get them the ball consistently downfield. Philyor & Taylor are burners as well. Ramsey just didn't get them the ball enough in dangerous spots on the field.

Finally, Allen seems to have no qualms about getting young guys onto the field to play and if Penix is healthy I see no reason why he doesn't start week 1. I have not seen him be loyal to older players if the younger guys were ready to play.

How would you guys feel if Matt Canada came back as OC? He's out of a job at Maryland. Honestly, being at the Maryland game I was very impressed with how they ran the offense. They had some big boys creating great lanes for their RB. We got Scott and presumably Sampson coming in. Imagine we get some impressive big boys we could get some real running attacks going. I will also say that I was impressed with how many different ways and looks they had for the same type of play. The way they were able to stress our defense out by making last min. shifts to cause confusion. I would hope that we at least try to reach out to him and gauge interest. Sadly, just see debord still being here costing us a good hire.
There's absolutely nothing unethical or deceptive about it if the evaluation process is still underway and a decision hasn't yet been made. Maybe DeBord has been given some time to contemplate his future. Maybe Allen is determining who's available in the event that a decision has already been made to bring in a new guy. Then again, maybe it's already been decided that DeBord will be back.

These things take time. And a lot of assistants are still focused on the 2018 season, with another game to play. It's probably not the easiest time to interview guys. We'll see how it plays out, but it's kind of silly, in my opinion, to suggest that an announcement of a new coordinator in, for example, January would somehow be unethical.
It could be unethical if the recruits were told they would be running Debord's system (Dobbs) and then Allen brings in a new OC with a Power running system in the spring. Players like Jaden Johnson would not be able to showcase their running ability. Highly unlikely, but possible.

To me, that would be unethical.

Therefore, after reading everyone's thoughts, it seems Debord will certainly back next year.

Reactions: iulb and fpeaugh
I think he'll be back; schemes weren't the problem, execution was. Get a few more Jimmies and Joes and suddenly Debord is seen as a genius... The reality, of course, lies somewhere in between the extremes...
I'm really not trying to argue with you, 76, but the other day I was "taught" and assured that IU needs neither Jimmys and Joe's nor different X's and O's. Instead, what IU needs is for CTA to earn more than $8.3 million a year, making him the highest-paid and (by this boards "logic") the best college football coach in America. After that, IU needs to build 21 more weight rooms, so each and every sport can have it's own.
(Personally, I think talented, smart and athletic Jimmys and Joes put into a good Xs and Ox scheme goes a long way. But, I am apparently in a minority.)

It could be unethical if the recruits were told they would be running Debord's system (Dobbs) and then Allen brings in a new OC with a Power running system in the spring. Players like Jaden Johnson would not be able to showcase their running ability. Highly unlikely, but possible.

To me, that would be unethical.

Therefore, after reading everyone's thoughts, it seems Debord will certainly back next year.
Why would a coach recruit players for a system he has no intention of running?

Reactions: 76-1
I'm really not trying to argue with you, 76, but the other day I was "taught" and assured that IU needs neither Jimmys and Joe's nor different X's and O's. Instead, what IU needs is for CTA to earn more than $8.3 million a year, making him the highest-paid and (by this boards "logic") the best college football coach in America. After that, IU needs to build 21 more weight rooms, so each and every sport can have it's own.
(Personally, I think talented, smart and athletic Jimmys and Joes put into a good Xs and Ox scheme goes a long way. But, I am apparently in a minority.)

Well, you're evidently confusing me with someone else because I agree with what you just wrote...

Penix showed up last spring to IU as a better athlete, a stronger arm, and way more upside. Ramsey had a 2 year head start with the playbook though. That mattered and was why he won the job. Remember that Penix also beat out the UA grad transfer QB to be the 2nd string QB. He was only the backup due to not having enough of a grasp of the playbook. Otherwise he'd have started from day 1.

Allen is no dummy and he knows he has to win at least 6 games and get to a bowl next year or he's going to be on a very hot seat. I believe he's going to play the guy that gives him the best chance to win. Not simply play Ramsey because it his job "to lose". Also, even with a knee injury, Penix still is a better athlete, has a stronger arm, and way more upside than Ramsey. Penix is still clearly the future for IU at QB, knee injury or not.
allen might be a dummy. he said there was no difference between a 10 pt and a 13pt lead with 7 minutes left in a game to justify going for it on 4th and 9 from the opponent's 18 yard line. i have also heard him say. "eye discipline" and "foot speed". let's just say he's no alfred e. einstein.

allen might be a dummy. he said there was no difference between a 10 pt and a 13pt lead with 7 minutes left in a game to justify going for it on 4th and 9 from the opponent's 18 yard line. i have also heard him say. "eye discipline" and "foot speed". let's just say he's no alfred e. einstein.
A thirteen point gives you false sense of security.

Reactions: muubell
I agree with this - he put us in a position to make plays. My only real concern with DeBoard and his philosophy last year is it was dependent on small chunk, long drives - which means you can't make any mistakes to score points. We made a lot of mistakes at crappy times with penalties, drops, and missed assignments.
But as your former coach always said - you call the plays you can block. With Feeney and Spriggs the playbook is wide open.
Yep. I wish I had the time to look at more advanced stats, but an interesting stat that I saw during the Le’veon Bell debate was how many yards were due to the offensive line before he was even contacted. If we used a similar debate with IU, it looked like Stevie Scott was getting a whole lot of his yards on his own and contact was usually made within a yard of the LOS. People wanted Deboard to run the ball more at times, but that doesn’t work with this offensive line against stacked boxes. I know that Redding rarely got touched within 2 yards of the LOS when he had a superior line, so I think that limits Deboard from doing more of what people want to see. Now... I will say that I’ll be concerned about the coaching if the line is they inconasistent in year 3 in terms of their run blocking.

Yep. I wish I had the time to look at more advanced stats, but an interesting stat that I saw during the Le’veon Bell debate was how many yards were due to the offensive line before he was even contacted. If we used a similar debate with IU, it looked like Stevie Scott was getting a whole lot of his yards on his own and contact was usually made within a yard of the LOS. People wanted Deboard to run the ball more at times, but that doesn’t work with this offensive line against stacked boxes. I know that Redding rarely got touched within 2 yards of the LOS when he had a superior line, so I think that limits Deboard from doing more of what people want to see. Now... I will say that I’ll be concerned about the coaching if the line is they inconasistent in year 3 in terms of their run blocking.
and redding didn't do much on his own. watching coleman shoot thru those gaps and work in the open field was a thing of beauty

Reactions: Superstar84b
Seems like the longer it goes without a decision, the more likely he will return.

With regards to Jaden Johnson, it seems like we are still recruiting towards Debord's RPO offense he built with Josh Dobbs. I like that offense, but the play calling has been frustrating to say the least.

As for recruiting in general, it seems unethical and dishonest to recruit and sign these kids thinking Debord will be the OC, only to have him "retire" after NSD. Allen does not seem like the type of man to do that. Thoughts?
Allen would be a full blown retard to cut any staff member loose before early signing day and screw up recruiting. Let's get through that an the first of the year and then see what happens.

and redding didn't do much on his own. watching coleman shoot thru those gaps and work in the open field was a thing of beauty
I agree 100%. And that’s why Coleman is in the League and Redding is not. And it kind of highlights that CKW had more to work with on the offensive line because that 2015 line opened up so many holes that Redding was a 1000 yard guy as a Sophomore backup. It’s been a while, but even in the Rutgers game Mike Majette even had a couple of touchdowns I believe and he was a receiver. You could line anyone up in that backfield and they weren’t getting contacted until around 2 yards past the LOS. I just think the difference really impacts Deboards playcalling.

As a side-note, the Linebackers are really bad and that has to get corrected. What has gone unmentioned here is that the defense has taken many steps back since the 2016 season which I think was easily IU’s best on defense since the 90’s.

I agree 100%. And that’s why Coleman is in the League and Redding is not. And it kind of highlights that CKW had more to work with on the offensive line because that 2015 line opened up so many holes that Redding was a 1000 yard guy as a Sophomore backup. It’s been a while, but even in the Rutgers game Mike Majette even had a couple of touchdowns I believe and he was a receiver. You could line anyone up in that backfield and they weren’t getting contacted until around 2 yards past the LOS. I just think the difference really impacts Deboards playcalling.

As a side-note, the Linebackers are really bad and that has to get corrected. What has gone unmentioned here is that the defense has taken many steps back since the 2016 season which I think was easily IU’s best on defense since the 90’s.
Oliver, Scales, and Covington were all really good and there was nothing behind them (which is why they all played so many snaps in 2016 and 17). TA knew that which is why he was so concerned going into this year about that group and why he was so excited that Roof was given immediate eligibility. But I think that group really improved from the start of the year and there is good young talent and some depth there for next year. I think our back 6 or 7 is very promising for next year. The big concern is the D-line.

Oliver, Scales, and Covington were all really good and there was nothing behind them (which is why they all played so many snaps in 2016 and 17). TA knew that which is why he was so concerned going into this year about that group and why he was so excited that Roof was given immediate eligibility. But I think that group really improved from the start of the year and there is good young talent and some depth there for next year. I think our back 6 or 7 is very promising for next year. The big concern is the D-line.
I'm hoping the 4* DT Williams decides to come here because he would pretty much start immediately.

agree. better add a few pounds to guys like ball, matthews and jones and move them to lb. allen might get by on football iq but boy does he look slow

Reactions: vesuvius13
Not firing DeBord shows IU is not serious about winning. Bell ain’t coming here with DeBord calling plays.

Reactions: fpeaugh

Check out James Miller, the Florida linebacker. He actually started up at Michigan and looked good. I thought it was strange that he didn't see the field earlier in the year. McFadden certainly had his moments and I think he has a good future. Those two might be the future right there.

I'd like to see Allen Jr. serve the team as a second or third string player. There's guys on the roster that are better prospects and they need to play in front of him.

Oh, it's gone mentioned. I just posted the other day that, as Allen goes away from being a full-time DC, the Defense has gotten worse.

Check out James Miller, the Florida linebacker. He actually started up at Michigan and looked good. I thought it was strange that he didn't see the field earlier in the year. McFadden certainly had his moments and I think he has a good future. Those two might be the future right there.

I'd like to see Allen Jr. serve the team as a second or third string player. There's guys on the roster that are better prospects and they need to play in front of him.
I think if Allen gets a little bit bigger he'd be an ok DE back up option. He's slow for a Big Ten LB but I think he's average or maybe above average speed for DE in the Big Ten. The question is his size a problem for DE in the Big Ten? I think so at the moment. We all know his football IQ is there. He's just not a Big Ten LB. Wonder if CTA is willing to move his boy to another position or keep trying to have him start.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Not firing DeBord shows IU is not serious about winning. Bell ain’t coming here with DeBord calling plays.
Why are Baldwin, Johnson , James and even Bell even visiting or considering IU believing that Debord is the OC. If they are not sold somewhat on him they would not even be visiting or considering IU. You idiots are the only ones that mentioned replacing him. Not been mentioned by CTA.

Why are Baldwin, Johnson , James and even Bell even visiting or considering IU believing that Debord is the OC. If they are not sold somewhat on him they would not even be visiting or considering IU. You idiots are the only ones that mentioned replacing him. Not been mentioned by CTA.
I would LOVE to have Baldwin commit. That kids arm is strong and accurate. The one thing I hope that if he does commit is he work on his ability to stay in the pocket just a tad longer. He shows a lot of good potential if we can get him and penix in here. The guy would be a good mix up. Penix is faster IMO and Baldwin has just as good of an arm. Really hoping Bell sees what IU is trying to build. Its always better to join an upward program. Than to join a Alabama type school hoping to be a legend when you can be a hometown hero.

Idiots? Not nice.

CTA, Debord, and Ramsey have gone 5-5 and lost to Purdue the last two years. Something has to change. Debord is the most logical person.
Why some people on this board can’t recognize what a job Debora has done with the cards he has been dealt is beyond me? It is not like this offense bid completely inept and that is without a great quarterback, a true freshman running back no real playmaker. Debora has given Coach Allen the offense he is looking for one that stays on the field gets first downs and does not go 3 and out. Now if he can plug some playmakers the big plays will increase and scoring will also go up.

Why some people on this board can’t recognize what a job Debora has done with the cards he has been dealt is beyond me? It is not like this offense bid completely inept and that is without a great quarterback, a true freshman running back no real playmaker. Debora has given Coach Allen the offense he is looking for one that stays on the field gets first downs and does not go 3 and out. Now if he can plug some playmakers the big plays will increase and scoring will also go up.
Well, you have a lot of people on this board that post but haven’t ever played the game and so don’t really understand what they are watching. They see what other coaches do with much better talent and just assume that IU should be doing the same things with far inferior talent.

It is OK because that is the nature of fans and thank goodness we have some fans interested enough to get on here and post about these things, but don’t get too concerned with the negative people that scream for someone’s head. They will be the same ones that are cheering if these guys can get this huge barge turned around in this swift river.

Well, you have a lot of people on this board that post but haven’t ever played the game and so don’t really understand what they are watching. They see what other coaches do with much better talent and just assume that IU should be doing the same things with far inferior talent.

It is OK because that is the nature of fans and thank goodness we have some fans interested enough to get on here and post about these things, but don’t get too concerned with the negative people that scream for someone’s head. They will be the same ones that are cheering if these guys can get this huge barge turned around in this swift river.
If all it took was talent..... I am good with Debord... I just think our assistants pool could be much better which I think is what facilitates the player development

Reactions: Walt542
I don't expect changes to Offensive coaching staff. No need to play the blame game instead of dealing with the fact that we weren't good enough. Dropped passes. Poor coverage. That's why we lost 7. CTA is trying to build continuity. Starting over would be a step back. I'd be shocked if we made changes. Really two plays away from 7-5. Don't get me wrong I hate losing but wholesale changes would set us back. Tweaking is a more reasonable approach. (You can take that literally or figuratively. VBG)
Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: kmathum and 76-1
I don't expect changes to Offensive coaching staff. No need to play the blame game instead of dealing with the fact that we weren't good enough. Dropped passes. Poor coverage. That's why we lost 7. CTA is trying to build continuity. Starting over would be a step back. I'd be shocked if we made changes. Really two plays away from 7-5. Don't get me wrong I hate losing but wholesale changes would set us back. Tweaking is a more reasonable approach. (You can take that literally or figuratively. VBG)
Go Hoosiers!

You may want to save a link to this post so you can copy and paste a year from now.

Maybe it's because we finished 88th in scoring out of 130 teams.....with 2 non-offensive TDs & a very effective (15/18) FG kicker.

Or maybe it was because we averaged 16.8 points in 1st half this year, but only 9.7 pts in 2nd halves:

FIU.....28-10 7-3
VIR.....20-0 0-0
BSU...24-14 7-7
MSU...7-14 0-14
RU......24-0 0-0
OSU...20-6 6-0
Iowa...10-6 6-0
PSU...14-14 7-7
MN.....9-22 0-22
MD.....21-13 10-3
UM.....17-3 0-3
PUR....7-14 7-7

Perhaps its because we were shut out in the 3rd Q against Vir, MSU, RU, MN & Michigan and scored more than 7 pts in the 3rd quarter 1 time. Or because we were shut out in the 4th Q v. Vir, RU, OSU, and Iowa & scored 3 pts v. FIU, MD & Michigan. We scored more than 7 points 3x, twice against MSU & PSU in lost causes, once when we scored 22 in the 4th against Minnesota, prompting our head coach to exclaim 'I've been telling them to throw deeper passes all year', the 'them' presumably being Debord & Ramsey.

For the year we averaged 4.2 pts in 3rd Q, and 5.5 pts in the 4th. If you take the MN game out, we averaged 4.0 pts in the 4th the other 11 games.

Maybe it's because we finished 88th in scoring out of 130 teams.....with 2 non-offensive TDs & a very effective (15/18) FG kicker.

Or maybe it was because we averaged 16.8 points in 1st half this year, but only 9.7 pts in 2nd halves:

FIU.....28-10 7-3
VIR.....20-0 0-0
BSU...24-14 7-7
MSU...7-14 0-14
RU......24-0 0-0
OSU...20-6 6-0
Iowa...10-6 6-0
PSU...14-14 7-7
MN.....9-22 0-22
MD.....21-13 10-3
UM.....17-3 0-3
PUR....7-14 7-7

Perhaps its because we were shut out in the 3rd Q against Vir, MSU, RU, MN & Michigan and scored more than 7 pts in the 3rd quarter 1 time. Or because we were shut out in the 4th Q v. Vir, RU, OSU, and Iowa & scored 3 pts v. FIU, MD & Michigan. We scored more than 7 points 3x, twice against MSU & PSU in lost causes, once when we scored 22 in the 4th against Minnesota, prompting our head coach to exclaim 'I've been telling them to throw deeper passes all year', the 'them' presumably being Debord & Ramsey.

For the year we averaged 4.2 pts in 3rd Q, and 5.5 pts in the 4th. If you take the MN game out, we averaged 4.0 pts in the 4th the other 11 games.
Well, when you put it like that.......

Reactions: Hoosiersfan2018

FIU.....28-10 7-3
VIR.....20-0 0-0
BSU...24-14 7-7
MSU...7-14 0-14
RU......24-0 0-0
OSU...20-6 6-0
Iowa...10-6 6-0
PSU...14-14 7-7
MN.....9-22 0-22
MD.....21-13 10-3
UM.....17-3 0-3
PUR....7-14 7-7

So why do you take the Minnesota game out? We should take out Virginia it was played in a driving rainstorm.

So why do you take the Minnesota game out? We should take out Virginia it was played in a driving rainstorm.

Also I did not say the offense was perfect but it was quite capable considering some of its personnel. So you can manipulate the stats all you want.

Because that was the game that best illustrates how horrid DeBord was as a play caller. We marched up & down the field running, dinking & dunking and ending up kicking 3 FGs. We end up behind 31-9, when someone comes up with the idea to throw a long pass against the Big 10's worst secondary, which had been on our WRs like stink on s*** the whole game. We score 17 straight points, including 2 long TD passes, and are on a drive to score the winning TD when we have to settle for a FG after running 3 straight running plays.

We scored 1/3 of our TOTAL 4th Quarter POINTS for the year in the Minnesota game.

But, take out the 4th quarters for the VA & MN games if you wish. That takes it to 4.2 in the 3rd & 4.4 in the 4th. That scoring, projected out for a full game, would have been 128th/130 in the country. Had we scored at the same rate in 2nd halves as in 1st halves we would have been 35th ppg nationally.

For the year, we scored 63.4% of our points in the first half.

How many OCs in the country would have kept their job with those results?

Because that was the game that best illustrates how horrid DeBord was as a play caller. We marched up & down the field running, dinking & dunking and ending up kicking 3 FGs. We end up behind 31-9, when someone comes up with the idea to throw a long pass against the Big 10's worst secondary, which had been on our WRs like stink on s*** the whole game. We score 17 straight points, including 2 long TD passes, and are on a drive to score the winning TD when we have to settle for a FG after running 3 straight running plays.

We scored 1/3 of our TOTAL 4th Quarter POINTS for the year in the Minnesota game.

But, take out the 4th quarters for the VA & MN games if you wish. That takes it to 4.2 in the 3rd & 4.4 in the 4th. That scoring, projected out for a full game, would have been 128th/130 in the country. Had we scored at the same rate in 2nd halves as in 1st halves we would have been 35th ppg nationally.

For the year, we scored 63.4% of our points in the first half.

How many OCs in the country would have kept their job with those results?
Most if not all 26 points/game is a touchdown per quarter which is a good starting point and what we shoot for.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT