ADVERTISEMENT

Is Anyone Else Concerned About Our Offense?

cshartle123

Senior
Apr 8, 2016
Going into the spring game, I was watching for two things.

1. Richard Legow to not throw an interception. He has field vision issues, and my confidence in him is as low as it's always been.

2. The offensive line. There was no push in the run game, and the defense showed better individual effort getting to the quarterback.

Am I alone here?

Going into the spring game, I was watching for two things.

1. Richard Legow to not throw an interception. He has field vision issues, and my confidence in him is as low as it's always been.

2. The offensive line. There was no push in the run game, and the defense showed better individual effort getting to the quarterback.

Am I alone here?
Based off the spring game? No. DeBord knows how to put up big numbers, but we'll just have to see how everybody meshes. But as far as the spring game goes, the only running backs we used were two walk ons, and yes, we do have a good defense now.

I hate it when people try to make a significant judgments based on spring games. It's pointless. We also had a draft, so all the ones and twos were mixed up.

Based off the spring game? No. DeBord knows how to put up big numbers, but we'll just have to see how everybody meshes. But as far as the spring game goes, the only running backs we used were two walk ons, and yes, we do have a good defense now.
pus
I hate it when people try to make a significant judgments based on spring games. It's pointless. We also had a draft, so all the ones and twos were mixed up.
And, the freshman class were mostly not on campus.

Its just too hard to judge from a spring game...particularily one where teams were evenly split by draft. I was kinda pleasantly surprised by the lines. I mean two backup RBs ran for over 150 yds. Not sure what you were looking for. Now, come fall, I do have concerns, but not panic. I think our offense will struggle because Im not convinced Rich has made the improvements needed. I think were getting the best hes got now. Still, a bowl is not impossible, it will just require several things to go our way...not a typical outcome for IU FB...vbg. But we can hope...

Lagow needs to improve

The OL has to replace Rogers and Feeney.

The RB's are a senior coming off a bad knee who has barely played, 3 juniors who have a combined 69 carries, a 6'0" 270 QB, A guy who used to be a DB, and another tiny guy coming off a knee.

Our 2 WR stars are coming off knee injuries.

We're surrounded.
Attack in all directions.
No worries.

Reactions: 76-1 and IUcolorado
That oline, along with Lagows play, will decide the season. So many predicting a breakout year. Could be...some claiming we didnt lose much...could be...bet thats wrong...but were not pikers either. But the holes will seem much larger after OSU puts us to the ultimate test. So many new elements must gel...could...might not...gonna be fun.

Reactions: 76-1
I am not worried - I loved the way Coach Wilson would go for in almost any situation; check that - initially, I loved the way Coach Wilson would go for it in almost any situation. Then it got a little stale - I would sit there thinking "no, not here.. punt the football" - it got to be where it was a desperation thing And yes, there was some truth to desperation but we went for it in ridiculous field position. Plus I will never forgive him fully (maybe I will, but I havent yet) for the Rutgers loss in 2015 and that was just pure bad play calling over and over again (and poor execution)

I think the offense will be fine because I really think that as a group this is a much better group of coaches. Maybe not as exciting, but better fundamentally, probably better coached and coordinated and probably better overall.

One thing I will always say thank you to Coach Wilson for is the upgrade in recruiting - those guys are in the pipeline - they are ready - it's their time.. The cupboard is not bare... I think we get the breakthrough...

I think the offense will be fine because I really think that as a group this is a much better group of coaches. Maybe not as exciting, but better fundamentally, probably better coached and coordinated and probably better overall.
While the offense had its moments in 2016, it wasn't very good. In the red zone, it was among the worst in the country. There's a huge amount of room for improvement, but it's tough to anticipate what's going to happen offensively because a) the OL will have a very different look without Feeney, Rogers and Camiel (Camiel's injury cost him most of the 2016 season but he was a huge contributor the year before) and b) the progression, maturation and development of Lagow remains to be seen. With respect to the OL, Cronk and Brandon Knight are very talented (we'll see how Knight looks post-injury), Wes Martin started every game last year, and Baker and Stepaniak saw plenty of action so this OL is hardly green. Stover and Littlejohn may be ready to step up and make important contributions as well.

With respect to skill players, things look very good. Westbrook and Cobbs are two of the best WRs in the conference, and they're tall targets for Lagow to hit. Hale is athletic and tall as well. Harris is coming back from two ACL injuries so it's difficult to predict how much of a factor he'll be. There are some post-injury questions with respect to Patrick as the featured RB, but if he's fully healed and ready to go, watch out. There's some depth at RB with Majette, Brookins, Gest, Natee and Rodriguez (I feel like I'm forgetting someone else) all ready to contribute.

We went bowling last year because of Allen and the defense. The defense may have to bear the load again this year. But there's potential, at least, for significant offensive improvement provided we can keep the injury bug away. Colorado and others will jump all over me for saying this, but if the offense stays relatively healthy, Lagow improves (translation: fewer picks) after a year of B1G play under his belt, and the OL is serviceable, this team has a ceiling the likes of which we haven't seen at IU in decades. I know - - those are some important variables, qualifiers and question marks, but far fewer variables than we've had in the many years I've been following IU football. Having a defense - - finally - - changes the entire equation.

While the offense had its moments in 2016, it wasn't very good. In the red zone, it was among the worst in the country. There's a huge amount of room for improvement, but it's tough to anticipate what's going to happen offensively because a) the OL will have a very different look without Feeney, Rogers and Camiel (Camiel's injury cost him most of the 2016 season but he was a huge contributor the year before) and b) the progression, maturation and development of Lagow remains to be seen. With respect to the OL, Cronk and Brandon Knight are very talented (we'll see how Knight looks post-injury), Wes Martin started every game last year, and Baker and Stepaniak saw plenty of action so this OL is hardly green. Stover and Littlejohn may be ready to step up and make important contributions as well.

With respect to skill players, things look very good. Westbrook and Cobbs are two of the best WRs in the conference, and they're tall targets for Lagow to hit. Hale is athletic and tall as well. Harris is coming back from two ACL injuries so it's difficult to predict how much of a factor he'll be. There are some post-injury questions with respect to Patrick as the featured RB, but if he's fully healed and ready to go, watch out. There's some depth at RB with Majette, Brookins, Gest, Natee and Rodriguez (I feel like I'm forgetting someone else) all ready to contribute.

We went bowling last year because of Allen and the defense. The defense may have to bear the load again this year. But there's potential, at least, for significant offensive improvement provided we can keep the injury bug away. Colorado and others will jump all over me for saying this, but if the offense stays relatively healthy, Lagow improves (translation: fewer picks) after a year of B1G play under his belt, and the OL is serviceable, this team has a ceiling the likes of which we haven't seen at IU in decades. I know - - those are some important variables, qualifiers and question marks, but far fewer variables than we've had in the many years I've been following IU football. Having a defense - - finally - - changes the entire equation.

"having a defense -- finally -- changes the equation" - How true. It's such a breath of fresh air....the Randle El offense and Kellen Lewis/ James Hardy offense more recent offenses were so fun to watch but we could never recruit well enough to fill up the roster on both sides of the ball ...... I am pretty psyched for this year - it seems like there is enough depth everywhere...

Kellen Lewis/ James Hardy offense more recent offenses were so fun to watch but we could never recruit well enough to fill up the roster on both sides of the ball
Thanks for the memories. I was at the '07 Bucket game with my son. After the game, when Hardy was asked what was being discussed in the huddle in the final drive leading to Austin Starr's game-winning FG, Hardy said he kept telling Lewis to "just get me the ball." Hardy, like our WRs now, was a pretty tall target, and Lewis obliged.

The 7-5 record got us a date with Dez Bryant and Oklahoma State in Tempe. Unfortunately, I was at that game as well, which was over almost before it started (I think we briefly led 3-0, but the Cowboys steamrolled us the rest of the way and Bryant had a monster game). We actually had some good defensive players on the '07 team, including Tracy Porter, Leslie Majors and Greg Middleton (he led the country in sacks), but Okla State that year was probably the best 6-6 team I've ever seen.

I was encouraged with our young backup QB, Ramsey. If our line isn't going to give Lagow time to throw, Ramsey could give the defense something to worry about with his running ability. I'm mostly worried about Lagow's decision making and accuracy. I don't think he will improve much, but he didn't suck too bad. Ramsey is clearly the QB of the future among the current players. Our receivers, if healthy, should be a strength. We need someone that gets them the ball on target and at the right time.

We have a lot of running backs, but I don't know if we have one that is going to stand out. I have been excited about Patrick, but he might be a WR. We have a lot of potential RBs, but is one going to stand out or be able to run behind this line? To me, this is our biggest question.

Our defense could be our strength. Even with losing some people, I expect to see an overall improvement.

Reactions: HOOS13R
Lagow was the 2nd leading passer in the B1G last year-in his first year people! Had he not had the awful game against Wake-we're not even having this conversation. Every reason to think he'll improve this year. I hope he competetes for BIG Player of the Year. If he LEADS the league he indeed may. One bad game-sheesh!

Lagow was the 2nd leading passer in the B1G last year-in his first year people! Had he not had the awful game against Wake-we're not even having this conversation. Every reason to think he'll improve this year. I hope he competetes for BIG Player of the Year. If he LEADS the league he indeed may. One bad game-sheesh!
It was more than just the Wake game. A TD/INT ratio of 19/17 is poor, and that needs to dramatically change this year. That said, I agree that it's likely he'll improve with good coaching and following a year of experience and a baptism by fire in the Big Ten. It's important to remember that last year was his first season playing D-1 ball. It's likely the game will slow down for him this season and we'll see more consistent play. There's no question the guy can make all the throws, and he's got some really good (and tall) WRs to throw it to.

Reactions: HOOS13R
I question everything - even the defense. How many time do we see a preseason Top 10 team disappear. Last year Notre Dame and Michigan State were preseason top 10 teams.

I question everything - even the defense. How many time do we see a preseason Top 10 team disappear. Last year Notre Dame and Michigan State were preseason top 10 teams.

I think it's fair to question the offense, inconsistency at QB and half a OL. I think there is depth in both positions but what is the quality? While the defense was drastically improved, it also gave up 25 points a game. (Not exactly a recipe for a championship) To be fair, the offense didn't exactly do the defense any favors.

I tend to think we are a more "balanced" team and will be in every game but QB, OL and DL are all questions. If all are answered yes than this is a 8 or more win team, if not than it's exactly where we were a year ago.

I think it's fair to question the offense, inconsistency at QB and half a OL. I think there is depth in both positions but what is the quality? While the defense was drastically improved, it also gave up 25 points a game. (Not exactly a recipe for a championship) To be fair, the offense didn't exactly do the defense any favors.

I tend to think we are a more "balanced" team and will be in every game but QB, OL and DL are all questions. If all are answered yes than this is a 8 or more win team, if not than it's exactly where we were a year ago.

I will not be upset with "stable". Stable is something to build on.

I question everything - even the defense
Curious as to why you question the defense. If it's simply because you're a long-suffering IU football fan, and you're just a skeptic as a result, I get it. If it's because of something else, I don't. We gave up 37.6 points per game in 2015 versus 27.2 in 2016. We yielded 6.4 yards per play in 2015 versus 5.1 in 2016. Almost every guy who contributed to that startling improvement (starting with Tom Allen) is back. We have nine returning starters on defense, the most in the Big Ten. We are first nationally in returning defensive production. Scales is an All-American candidate, and Fant and Crawford will probably get national attention as well. If all of this makes you question the defense, I'm wondering what would give you confidence in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: muubell
Curious as to why you question the defense. If it's simply because you're a long-suffering IU football fan, and you're just a skeptic as a result, I get it. If it's because of something else, I don't. We gave up 37.6 points per game in 2015 versus 27.2 in 2016. We yielded 6.4 yards per play in 2015 versus 5.1 in 2016. Almost every guy who contributed to that startling improvement (starting with Tom Allen) is back. We have nine returning starters on defense, the most in the Big Ten. We are first nationally in returning defensive production. Scales is an All-American candidate, and Fant and Crawford will probably get national attention as well. If all of this makes you question the defense, I'm wondering what would give you confidence in it.

As already stated itt the DL is a major question mark. You left out that we finished dead last in red zone defense and as a whole just a middle of the B1G D. Is there going to be improvement? Sure, but let's not act like this is Bama '12 type or even OSU or Wisconsin.

I'm mostly worried about Lagow's decision making and accuracy.
Man, if I had a dollar for every time he threw over the receiver's head out in the flats, well, I'd have a lot of dollars. A lot. It was almost like he deliberately tried to throw the games (or a pick). Obviously I'm not accusing him of that, but so many of those were bunnies, it makes you say "WTF?"

Richard needs to slow down, go through his progressions and deliver the pigskin on the mark. I do think DeBord's O will help - he'll have more outlet options (i.e., TEs and/or a WR/RB across the middle or in the flats) to bale him out if Option A. That'll be one of the biggest West Coast O adjustments we'll see, IMO, and if Richard hit his marks, it'll move the chains. Right now, that's a big "if", in my mind.

As already stated itt the DL is a major question mark. You left out that we finished dead last in red zone defense and as a whole just a middle of the B1G D. Is there going to be improvement? Sure, but let's not act like this is Bama '12 type or even OSU or Wisconsin.
I don't dispute that there's room for improvement, but you've distorted my argument. It's this. If we weren't the most improved team - - defensively - - in the country last year, we were right near the top. If the overwhelming majority of the guys who were responsible for that improvement are back, it's likely that significant gains will continue.

We were 45th nationally in total D last year after being 120th the year before. 380 yards given up per game versus 510 the year before. Spin that however you want, but it's not something you see every day.

Will the improvement this year take us to a Michigan or Alabama level of D? Almost certainly not, and I'm not suggesting that. But CTA says they're shooting for a Top 25 D, and that looks like a realistic goal. And for an Indiana football team, the perennial laughingstock defense in college football, that would be one hell of an achievement.

Toss out the spring game the way it's played you can't really tell much about this coming season. I do however think Lagow's numbers will improve with the new staff. Receivers will be better and I don't think you will see as many deep balls. I think you will see much more of the 5 to 10 yard variety. Now if Patrick can come on and stay healthy then we will be very solid. We must improve both on offense and defense in the red zone.

I-for one-could care less about W-L. I want to COMPETE!. If we comepete-the wins will come-that's just the way it is. You have to first be in the game.

I-for one-could care less about W-L. I want to COMPETE!. If we comepete-the wins will come-that's just the way it is. You have to first be in the game.

Breakthrough!

Wilson got us to competitive.
We need to rake the next step.
If you aren't getting better, you're getting worse.

Reactions: 76-1
Man, if I had a dollar for every time he threw over the receiver's head out in the flats, well, I'd have a lot of dollars. A lot. It was almost like he deliberately tried to throw the games (or a pick). Obviously I'm not accusing him of that, but so many of those were bunnies, it makes you say "WTF?"

Richard needs to slow down, go through his progressions and deliver the pigskin on the mark. I do think DeBord's O will help - he'll have more outlet options (i.e., TEs and/or a WR/RB across the middle or in the flats) to bale him out if Option A. That'll be one of the biggest West Coast O adjustments we'll see, IMO, and if Richard hit his marks, it'll move the chains. Right now, that's a big "if", in my mind.
Well I think you hit something on the head but I kind of disagree. I do not see Lagow going through a progression. He throws to the primary receiver and fortunately he was open a lot. That's a credit to our WRs and the game plan. I honestly don't think he checks down more than #2 and that is rare, which is seen by his interceptions and sacks.

He seems to be doing everything to improve this off season with many camps, and he is taking a leadership role. BUT what is the issue is reading the D and going through his check downs, which he is extremely poor at. I think he was a system QB this past year.

That being said, I think at the start of the season Lagow will be the QB, unless Ramsey improves even more than the spring game. But I would not be surprised to see Ramsey finish the season as our #1.

He seems to be doing everything to improve this off season with many camps, and he is taking a leadership role. BUT what is the issue is reading the D and going through his check downs, which he is extremely poor at. I think he was a system QB this past year.

That being said, I think at the start of the season Lagow will be the QB, unless Ramsey improves even more than the spring game. But I would not be surprised to see Ramsey finish the season as our #1.
Agreed, I think Ramsey was a bit hindered in the Spring game because of the format. Several times they blew the play dead when it looked like he could have escaped.

Once again what we need is a combined version of both of them: Ramsey's legs with Lagows arm... How many times have we said that over the past 47 years...?

ADVERTISEMENT