ADVERTISEMENT

is a 4 year term to short for the presidency

kurt cloverdales

All-American
Mar 3, 2020
time you figure out what your doing you spend the last 2 years running for re-election, or your a lame duck, dealing with the putins and chinas of the world can be difficult because they can just wait you out. what if when a president was elected he stayed in office if he had a approval rating above 50 percent each year, say nov 4th each year a simple yes or no ballot on the president, when the majority votes no he finishes his term a new president is elected the following november

I've heard the argument for one six year term that made sense.

Six years is enough time to shape the country while not having to worry about re-election the final year and a half.

It didn't offend me.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I've heard the argument for one six year term that made sense.

Six years is enough time to shape the country while not having to worry about re-election the final year and a half.

It didn't offend me.

4 years keeps it halfway between a House member who's basically constantly campaigning (or should be if not for gerrymandering)... and Senators that get the long 6 yr runway.

As an anti-populist... I'm all for a lot fewer elections and voting. So much voting gives us really bad govt.

Reactions: UncleMark
Nah, if they’re good they get 8. The last few years I’ve found myself wishing it was one year. Wonder if we could implement a “team option” after year one?

time you figure out what your doing you spend the last 2 years running for re-election, or your a lame duck, dealing with the putins and chinas of the world can be difficult because they can just wait you out. what if when a president was elected he stayed in office if he had a approval rating above 50 percent each year, say nov 4th each year a simple yes or no ballot on the president, when the majority votes no he finishes his term a new president is elected the following november

The problem is the length of campaigning, not the length of the term. Other democracies limit campaigning to a much smaller window before an election rather than allowing it to creep ever closer to the beginning of the term.

For the last election I would have been happy with a six-month term. Today is 1301 for Donald Trump. This can't end soon enough

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT