ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa

darkhawk returns

All-Big Ten
Nov 7, 2006
Am I the only person who believes they are being way overhyped? Unless they figured out how to keep opponents from scoring 90 a game, they are nowhere near the top 10. The game is played on both sides of the floor.

Am I the only person who believes they are being way overhyped? Unless they figured out how to keep opponents from scoring 90 a game, they are nowhere near the top 10. The game is played on both sides of the floor.

Garza is the reason for the hype. They will be great on O, that is for sure

Garza is the reason for the hype. They will be great on O, that is for sure
Naw, he's not the only reason, he's the prime reason but they also return every starter from last year and add two former starters who sat out. Defense still needs a serious improvement. The hype is understandable .. return a POY candidate, an additional all conference guy and 5 other players with starting experience and that would set high expectations for any team. But, they have Frannie as a coach ... so .... lol.

I think the most overrated is Ohio St. OSU doesn't have a post defender, lacks high level talent and will be relying on a couple transfers playing big minutes. Though Holtmann does well with teams lacking talent and uses role players well, this one has too many ifs to be ranked where they are.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Naw, he's not the only reason, he's the prime reason but they also return every starter from last year and add two former starters who sat out. Defense still needs a serious improvement. The hype is understandable .. return a POY candidate, an additional all conference guy and 5 other players with starting experience and that would set high expectations for any team. But, they have Frannie as a coach ... so .... lol.

I think the most overrated is Ohio St. OSU doesn't have a post defender, lacks high level talent and will be relying on a couple transfers playing big minutes. Though Holtmann does well with teams lacking talent and uses role players well, this one has too many ifs to be ranked where they are.

I would love to see Fran stay at Iowa forever. They are gonna play Trailblazers style of basketball I would assume this year. Try to score 80-90 points a game and see if you can score with us. Will make for a nice sweet 16 bust as a 3 seed.

Rutgers is the team I am gonna be on this year. I might bet every game. They will be highly undervalued. Steve is kicking ass and taking names for the scarlet knights. They have sucked so bad for a good bit now, I am enjoying seeing the resurgence in the Green Bay Packers I mean Rutgers basketball.

Reactions: darkhawk returns
I seriously think Fran just tells Garza to basically not commit a foul on D. He’s so valuable on offense, if he’s off the floor in foul trouble, 90% of their offensive production is gone.

If other guys can contribute more on offense this year, I actually think their D will improve. They can be more aggressive and Garza can do more.

I seriously think Fran just tells Garza to basically not commit a foul on D. He’s so valuable on offense, if he’s off the floor in foul trouble, 90% of their offensive production is gone.

If other guys can contribute more on offense this year, I actually think their D will improve. They can be more aggressive and Garza can do more.

Lol, “commit” a foul?? He can do anything to anyone, and it won’t be CALLED a foul, which is the relevant thing!

Reactions: 76-1
I believe that is referred to as the "All B10 treatment". It is a large part of the reason the B10 hasn't won a championship in 20 years.... Though, admittedly, in the tourney, the future NBA level All Stars get similar treatment. Garza is not one of those....

Lol, “commit” a foul?? He can do anything to anyone, and it won’t be CALLED a foul, which is the relevant thing!

Reactions: 76-1
They are going to be very difficult to defend, surrounding Garza with a fleet of perimeter shooters. They will have the deepest guard talent in the league, if not the entire NCAA. The team(s) that can figure out defending the 3-line against them and controlling Garza with one post player will be in the hunt for a B1G title.

Again, though, it doesn't matter if you score 90 points, if your opponent scores 91. Until they prove they can defend, they are not a top 10 team. "Sportscenter" culture seems to only care about pretty plays. Not saying they aren't top 20ish, there are good reasons they were 3 games out of 1st and the 5th seed in the B10 last year. Not at all saying they won't be tough to defend....assuming a season gets played....but any team that has very obvious flaws is not a top 10 team....

Again, though, it doesn't matter if you score 90 points, if your opponent scores 91. Until they prove they can defend, they are not a top 10 team. "Sportscenter" culture seems to only care about pretty plays. Not saying they aren't top 20ish, there are good reasons they were 3 games out of 1st and the 5th seed in the B10 last year. Not at all saying they won't be tough to defend....assuming a season gets played....but any team that has very obvious flaws is not a top 10 team....

Tom Pritchard's rebound dunk approves this message.

Reactions: UncleMark
I think a big part of the Iowa hype includes getting Bohannan back. For whatever reason that guy seems to play his best game when Iowa and IU play. With Garza on the inside and Bohannan outside, I think Iowa is a very tough out; that offense will have the capability to overcome their very poor defense on most nights.

When a team returns a 1st team AA POY candidate, an additional all conference player, all five starters and two additional starters that sat out, their expectations should be pretty damn high.

Defense should improve just by having Nunge at four instead of a 6'6 guard. Will it improve enough, who knows, unless you have uncanny divination gifted to you from a deity, it's a guess.

It pains me to say it, but I think the Illini are the team to beat this year. With Ayo, Kofi and Georgie coming back, that's a great first 3.
Meh. Ayo is overrated, it's why his pro stock has dropped off the map and Georgi is a mid major player at best. Kofi is a beast. fwiw - their best player may be a freshman. Adam Miller is a stud.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT